Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Welsh Press Reaction

There''s a whole raft of reports on NewsNow from Welsh newspapers whose general tone is ... how can I put this ... complaining? This one''s typical:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-15214070-detail/story.html?

Is that true? Did we deliberately try to kick them off the park? Watching online it looked to me that we pressed, tackled & closed them down, but were we dirty? I''d appreciate comments from anyone at the match.

To me it looked like our approach was the same as Sunderland''s to us, & I didn''t hear too much moaning from anyone down here afterwards.

I also noticed their crowd continually shouting for handballs, fouls, offsides, any infringement they could think of, every time we got the ball. Crowds are obviously partisan, it''s expected, but they were completely over the top.

I try not to be prejudiced about any particular section of the population, but I''m afraid my experience of our Celtic friends has never, ever been a positive one ...

I have to say

I wouldn''t say we were dirty at all. We just got in their faces and hassled the, ruining their passing game and rhythm and it worked a right treat.

I think most Swansea fans will admit they were second best on Saturday, we simply outplayed them.

[quote user="ron obvious"]There''s a whole raft of reports on NewsNow from Welsh newspapers whose general tone is ... how can I put this ... complaining? This one''s typical: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-15214070-detail/story.html? Is that true? Did we deliberately try to kick them off the park? Watching online it looked to me that we pressed, tackled & closed them down, but were we dirty? I''d appreciate comments from anyone at the match. To me it looked like our approach was the same as Sunderland''s to us, & I didn''t hear too much moaning from anyone down here afterwards. I also noticed their crowd continually shouting for handballs, fouls, offsides, any infringement they could think of, every time we got the ball. Crowds are obviously partisan, it''s expected, but they were completely over the top. I try not to be prejudiced about any particular section of the population, but I''m afraid my experience of our Celtic friends has never, ever been a positive one ... I have to say[/quote]

Didn''t go to this one but watched it on t''internet and can confirm that it''s garbage. Drury got booked for a slightly late tackle on Dyer and Holty for taking his shirt off but other than that Atkinson hardly had to speak to anyone, although Britton should have gone into the book for a gratuitous hack on (I think) Surman. It really is pure sour grapes because we didn''t let them play how they wanted to and they don''t have a Plan B. You''re right about the crowd too, constantly trying to pressurise the ref.

It doesn''t surprise me at all ron. Chip on the shoulder syndrome immediately springs to mind.

Swansea struggled to get 14,000 to watch them even up to the beginning of last season, so they have gained about 3000/4000 ''supporters'' in 18 months.

They have believed all the ''Barcelona'' nonsense from the bum licking media and think they will have to get accustomed next year to teams doing what Norwich did. i.e. show respect to a fellow Premier team of course but no more. Unless Swansea can adapt or have a plan B they will struggle next year.

I don''t think it''s that bad a piece. Dyer is bleating he is getting tackled physically - unlucky lad, that''s football. Then he goes on to say we pressed hard and swansea were second to every ball, essentially saying that we deserved to win, which is true. I''m sure the edp would do a similar piece if it was the other way round.

[quote user="NWC"]

I don''t think it''s that bad a piece. Dyer is bleating he is getting tackled physically - unlucky lad, that''s football. Then he goes on to say we pressed hard and swansea were second to every ball, essentially saying that we deserved to win, which is true. I''m sure the edp would do a similar piece if it was the other way round.

[/quote]

Really? I''ve seen Wes get thrown about like a rag doll & nobody ever complained.

What struck me about all those Welsh reports was the admission we deserved to win, followed by sly remarks about how we''d cheated to do so, how lucky we were, how unlucky they were, how poor the ref. was, leaving the overall impression they deserved to win really.

I didn''t see anything like that in our press after losing to Sunderland.

I don''t really care what the opposition journos or MOTD pundits have to say about us. We don''t want condescending praise. We aren''t plucky little Blackpool.

They''re just looking to try and justify why it is that they were beaten fair and square by Norwich, yet can beat (or at least outplay) Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

It''s much easier to say it''s because we were overly physical than to say that we were better than them on the day and tactically superior. Ultimately, this will be very good for them, I sensed a bit of arrogance about them pre-game, a "we play how we want, what are you going to do about it? Your not good enough to stop us". Once they drop that and go back to just setting about teams in the way they have done for most of the season they''ll be fine.

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]

They''re just looking to try and justify why it is that they were beaten fair and square by Norwich, yet can beat (or at least outplay) Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea, Spurs etc.

It''s much easier to say it''s because we were overly physical than to say that we were better than them on the day and tactically superior. Ultimately, this will be very good for them, I sensed a bit of arrogance about them pre-game, a "we play how we want, what are you going to do about it? Your not good enough to stop us". Once they drop that and go back to just setting about teams in the way they have done for most of the season they''ll be fine.

[/quote]

A very good point and, I think, borne out by some of the Swansea players'' rather unfortunate post game remarks. Having been told that they are the British Barcelona on an almost weekly basis by a slavering media I think they''ve bought into their own publicity and see it as somehow unfair that we haven''t played in a manner that suited them. It will be interesting to see whether other teams will now try to be more aggressive against them and , if so, how the delicate little Welsh flowers cope.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]

[/quote]

A very good point and, I think, borne out by some of the Swansea players'' rather unfortunate post game remarks. Having been told that they are the British Barcelona on an almost weekly basis by a slavering media I think they''ve bought into their own publicity and see it as somehow unfair that we haven''t played in a manner that suited them. It will be interesting to see whether other teams will now try to be more aggressive against them and , if so, how the delicate little Welsh flowers cope.

[/quote]

Hmmmmm[^o)]

Good points Beaus..

Could THEY be this season''s Blackpool??

Stranger things have happened.

And as for Nathan Dyver, when we played Swansea at home every time he was tackled he went bleating to the ref. He had a couple of very theatrical fall-overs (Dyves?) in and around the penalty box in the first half when they were attacking the River End, the end we sit in.

He is a very good player but he needs to remember to screw the studs into his boots before he goes out to play football.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]There''s a whole raft of reports on NewsNow from Welsh newspapers whose general tone is ... how can I put this ... complaining? This one''s typical: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story-15214070-detail/story.html? Is that true? Did we deliberately try to kick them off the park? Watching online it looked to me that we pressed, tackled & closed them down, but were we dirty? I''d appreciate comments from anyone at the match. To me it looked like our approach was the same as Sunderland''s to us, & I didn''t hear too much moaning from anyone down here afterwards. I also noticed their crowd continually shouting for handballs, fouls, offsides, any infringement they could think of, every time we got the ball. Crowds are obviously partisan, it''s expected, but they were completely over the top. I try not to be prejudiced about any particular section of the population, but I''m afraid my experience of our Celtic friends has never, ever been a positive one ... I have to say[/quote]

Didn''t go to this one but watched it on t''internet and can confirm that it''s garbage. Drury got booked for a slightly late tackle on Dyer and Holty for taking his shirt off but other than that Atkinson hardly had to speak to anyone, although Britton should have gone into the book for a gratuitous hack on (I think) Surman. It really is pure sour grapes because we didn''t let them play how they wanted to and they don''t have a Plan B. You''re right about the crowd too, constantly trying to pressurise the ref.

[/quote]

Its all sour sheeps peeeeeeee, I watched on line too, they even tried for a second Penalty,claiming Naughton hand ball, never the ball hit him under the armpit and hit his face, no pundit mentioned it after, I think where the crying comes from is the fact it''s us that outplayed them in the same way Manure did to them, their goal was a gift, laps of concentration but we went for the win and got it, Fair and square. the better team won

[quote user="TheJarrold"]Not sure why some footballers feel that Football isn''t a contact-sport......maybe Bowls would suit them better![/quote]

Or even Sheep Tossing

There was one bad tackle on Dyer by Drury for which he was duly and deservedly booked, not drity just a bit slow by the old chap!

Other than that Swansea struggled to get close to us at times and I think they suffered from being possibly the smallest team in the league as well. The main point is that they are not used to results like that!

Also the Jacks I met were full of praise for us and certainly consider us to be amongst the best footballing teams in the league along with Spurs.

Seems like we have finally rid ourselves of the ''Little Old Norwich'' tag and good riddance to it.

I reckon Lambert and McNally can turn us into a top six side at this rate.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

''scuse me canary_bird but did you used to be someone else on here?

[/quote]

No ... I''ve only ever been myself on here.

I was at the match & as has already been said I can confirm that I saw only one late challenge in the whole game that of Drury on Dyer for which he was rightly booked apart from that we pressed, hassled & tackled them all afternoon its called being competitive and it worked!  A fantastic team effort front to back every player did his job well sadly its just sour grapes from Dyer, they couldn''t deal with constantly being denied space & time on the ball & no they are not Swanselona in spite of what they & the media might say, we could/should have won 5-2.  We were not negative though we played some great stuff at times one & two touch cut them open.Our manager is very quick on the uptake because this I think is very similar to how Sunderland took up apart.  Talking to a couple of Swansea fans after the game, they said we deserved the win because ''...we bossed them today...''I think Swansea are going to have to ''man up'' a bit & find a plan B now that we have perhaps shown others how to beat them at home!!OTBC

[quote user="canary_bird"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

''scuse me canary_bird but did you used to be someone else on here?

[/quote] No ... I''ve only ever been myself on here.[/quote]

OK..

Sorry for the intrusion[:$]

I was looking for one of our lost PUPs. You''d be welcome on the Rays Funds threads anyway. The new one will be up on Wednesday[:)]

I obviously watched the game on television and I certainly did not think that we were overly physical at all.

I thought the game was played in good spirits by both teams.

I think the problem is Dyer is too lightweight particulary with some of the big defenders that are currently wondering around the Premiership.

We never hear Wes complaining and he gets knocked around pretty heaviliy at times.

Dyer, if you cannot stand the heat get out of the kitchen.

Let''s be honest, has anybody else ever met any Welsh person who didn''t moan about something and everything. I think Wiz got it right.