Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

.Holt dodged a bullet there!

The Scottish leagues simply can''t compete financially. Massive shame, but hopefully it''ll give some smaller teams the chance to grow and gain a bit more cash. Celtic folk must be walking around with massive grins on their faces..

Seriously - WTF were they thinking of even coming in for Holt when they had this a mere few weeks away???Not only is it ridiculous from a business perspective, but it''s verging on immoral to potentially bring a player in knowing full well what''s likely to happen on the financial front just a few weeks later and the potential consqeuences of this. You wouldn''t believe how annoyed I am about this behaviour from Rangers, shocking really.No wonder they''re in financial trouble if this sort of thinking has been prelavent over the past few seasons...

YEP, -10pts coming there way.

I heard that their derisory 500k offer was only PR to keep the fans hopes up (they knew we wouldn''t accept)...this was backed up by them getting Cousins on a free as he was unattached.

I don''t think there was even a bullet to dodge. With the rumours of a pathetic 500k bid and now them going in to admin, it just seems like it was PR stunt to make it look like they tried to replace Jelavic.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Does this carry a 10 point penalty in Scotland?. If so by effectively handing the title to Celtic today, this must be the earliest conclusion to a Scottish title in history?!?[/quote]Indeed it does according to the BBC website.The SPL is a joke with the title split between the big two every season. It''ll be no big sweat for the Gers if they do go into admin as they and Celtic always finish at least 20 points above the third placed club.And we think we''ve got it bad in our League with the '' Big Six ''........

This has been on the cards for months. I doubt ''Holt dodged a bullet'' as the current cliche goes as there was never anything serious to ''dodge''. Scottish football suffers from being stuck in some partisan 19th century timewarp. As long as Celtic and Rangers get 50,000 crowds whilst others get 4000 crowds there will be a little chance of anything but stagnation. Forcing the prorridge guzzlers into other grounds is not a vague possibility so it is in an inevitable slow decline. Even Celtic are not adverse to this decline. Perhaps things will change with independence, who knows ?

With Portsmouth on the brink as well and Forest having an uncertain future until the details of Nigel Doughtys will are announced later this week it could turn out that loads of fans will be in despair in the following weeks and months.

From the Glasgow perspective one would assume they would like Celtic and Rangers to join the Premier League. But hang on a minute, the Scots don''t want anything to do with us. Thank God for that.

[quote user="vos"]From the Glasgow perspective one would assume they would like Celtic and Rangers to join the Premier League. But hang on a minute, the Scots don''t want anything to do with us. Thank God for that.[/quote]

Rangers will always be loyal. Except for when it comes to paying her maj''s taxes it would seem. [8-)]

Maybe it''s time for the FA and SFA to get together for a chat. Scottish league is a joke with only Celtic & Rangers in contention each year. I for one would enjoy seeing Celtic and Rangers in Premiership with the rest scattered within the Championship and League 1. The fact that we have Welsh teams in our competition makes sense that we expand and bring in Scottish teams. Would create additional theatre and great atmosphere if you knew that Celtic and Rangers would come too Carrow Road every year.

[quote user="Oz Canary"]Maybe it''s time for the FA and SFA to get together for a chat. Scottish league is a joke with only Celtic & Rangers in contention each year. I for one would enjoy seeing Celtic and Rangers in Premiership with the rest scattered within the Championship and League 1. The fact that we have Welsh teams in our competition makes sense that we expand and bring in Scottish teams. Would create additional theatre and great atmosphere if you knew that Celtic and Rangers would come too Carrow Road every year.[/quote]

Unlikely to ever happen. It would not be in the interests of most PL clubs to vote in two large clubs who would thrive on the tv money.

Celtic v Chelsea for example would be a nightmare to police.

Why not though Johnny.

Just because it hasn''t been done yet doesn''t mean it shouldn''t. If the PL allowed Rangers and Celtic in , the additional games would mean additional TV revenue which I am sure all teams would welcome particulary the smaller teams like ourselves. That is also before you factor in additional revenue from other carriers such as Setanta/ESPN etc that could be folded into the mix somewhere, somehow. 

As far as policing goes, we have had issues historically with mob voilence between opposing manic fans, fencing/no fencing security issues, the move from terraces to all seating amongst a few and we have over time been able to sort it all out.

Just saying that there has probably never been a better time to start the discussions again and I believe it would enhance the entire League(EPL through to League 2).

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

Why not though Johnny.

Just because it hasn''t been done yet doesn''t mean it shouldn''t. If the PL allowed Rangers and Celtic in , the additional games would mean additional TV revenue which I am sure all teams would welcome particulary the smaller teams like ourselves. That is also before you factor in additional revenue from other carriers such as Setanta/ESPN etc that could be folded into the mix somewhere, somehow. 

As far as policing goes, we have had issues historically with mob voilence between opposing manic fans, fencing/no fencing security issues, the move from terraces to all seating amongst a few and we have over time been able to sort it all out.

Just saying that there has probably never been a better time to start the discussions again and I believe it would enhance the entire League(EPL through to League 2).

[/quote]IMO I''d start them off in the Championship.  I''m really not convinced either would cut it in the EPL.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Does this carry a 10 point penalty in Scotland?. If so by effectively handing the title to Celtic today, this must be the earliest conclusion to a Scottish title in history?!?[/quote]Indeed it does according to the BBC website.The SPL is a joke with the title split between the big two every season. It''ll be no big sweat for the Gers if they do go into admin as they and Celtic always finish at least 20 points above the third placed club.And we think we''ve got it bad in our League with the '' Big Six ''........[/quote]Does this also make La Liga a joke?I''m not disagreeing with you. I''m just pointing out that The SPL isn''t the only European league in this boat.The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and those trying to get rich are going out of business. It''s a global footballing pandemic, and the more wealthy and global the big boys get, the further we get from any sort of equality.

Received this from a friend in Scotland :-

"They have lodged papers with the high court indicating they may go into administration in 5/10 days. I have to watch what I say. White who bought the club last year from Murray for £1 has a colourfull past. My understanding is that he will go into administration unless the Inland Revenue accepts a reduced payment on the alleged M£49.5 they owe by paying players ''offshore''.He has first claim on Stadium and Training facility and if club were sold by administrator he would get his money for that before any other creditor (including Revenue).In my opinion its a ploy to pay substantially reduced amount on Tax. Calling revenues bluff in a way. Another possibility is that it would be sold to a different company owned by White as he would also have the Administrator by the B**** as he has a hold on Stadium and training facility.In administration they would be deducted 10points and not allowed to sign players.If you have brass neck its a way out of a tricky situation.I am reluctant to say I''m sorry for the fans as I believe Rangers and Celtic are responsiblefor much of the ills of Scottish football. I genuinely do not care what other Scottish team beats them from time to time. :) But I love it. ;D"

So we will see if Mr Whites brassed neck ploy works!!!

I understand your point Ghost however the SPL is on the same continent. We have Scots playing and managing all across the UK and I think it''s just time that both the FA and SFA start to seriously consider the amalgamation of the leagues.

I think that Celtic and Rangers could be placed into the EPL in an expanded league capacity from 20 to 22. Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts into Championship and the balance into League 1.

Maybe it''s a bit to simplistic but I think it would be great and I know it''s always been the SFA that has resisted but I reckon that there is a good chance (after this Rangers administration) that Celtic could turn around and approach the English FA and apply on their own which would mean the real end of Scottish football.

Ghost, on another note, are you based in Australia?

Oz,All other points aside for the time being, you have to think about the logistical nightmare this could cause - especially for smaller clubs. Imagine a club like Plymouth having to play Inverness away.  You''re talking about a 650 mile journey (1300 mile roundtrip), which on a bus would take over 11 hours or even more depending on traffic.This means that they''d have to either depart at stupid o''clock in the morning, or travel to Inverness the day before, stay overnight, then face that awful return trip which wouldn''t get them home until early Sunday morning, or they have to stay another night, just to get back at a sensible time on Sunday evening.Most small clubs can''t afford to be staying overnight everywhere or getting internal flights, and also consider what this would do to away support at the same time. Can''t see many fans being willing to make 11 hour journeys and give up their whole weekend to support their club (assuming they can afford the fuel etc), not to mention that midweek games would probably lead to virtually no away support making the matches even more of a joke.It''s one of those ideas that doesn''t look bad on paper initially, but when you start to go into it further, it''s a disaster waiting to happen.

Plus you have to consider the likelihood that Celtic and Rangers would be giving up Champions League football very year.

With the Scottish FA worried that even one Scottish player representing a GB side at the Olympics will affect Scotlands status within FIFA as an independent nation, footballing wise, I can''t see them agreeing to all of the Scottish clubs transferring over to the English league structure-that would certainly be the end of Scotland''s national football side.

In any case, I think FIFA/UEFA regulations make it impossible for club sides to switch associations as it would water down the national leagues and their identities and, again, independance.

You could see a situation where-by the whole footballing structure in Britain changes and we have all of our football on a national basis-English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish clubs all competing in a British Premier League, two national divisions under it followed by regional leagues, much like the old Div 3 North/South set up of the 50''s and before that. But it would be an enormous task logistically to set that up, have one administration etc-with as many losers as winners.

It would also mean that Great Britain would have to play football under that name, which wouldn''t particularly bother me-but would many in Scotland, Wales, Northen Ireland.

Also, look at the question of Scottish independance-if they get that, how could Scottish clubs realistically play in an English league, it would be like leading Dutch clubs playing in the Bundeliga-can''t happen.

As for Rangers and Celtic simply popping over to play in England=no. Never. Every club in England has to earn the right to play in whatever league they are  in, whether it is striving to get from the Champ to the Prem, or out of the Unibond into the Conference. No-one gets a free ride to play where it suits them, and neither should they.

UEFA needs to look more closely at the  much discussed "Atlantic League" and offer that to the clubs in national leagues that are overshadowed by our own-Scottish, Scandinavian etc. That would open up some boundaries and make things interesting.

If scottish football is to survive then the clubs, Including Rangers and Celtic, need to cut their cloth accordingly..Would Rangers recover from administration? Losing their best players to other clubs could see them do a Leeds... unlikely? wont happen? it did to Leeds, it did to Manchester city, it could to Rangers... plummeting down the leagues because of the financial situation.Scottish football cannot sustain professionalism, the league is to continue then ALL clubs, including Celtic and Rangers should be run as amateur or semi professional to secure the leagues..also. what right do Rangers and Celtic have to walk straight into the premiership? youd be mightily annoyed if you finished in a promotion slot and were told you couldnt go up because a "foreign" team were being placed in the league in your place.. and it would effect EVERY league.If rangers and Celtic are to be added to the English league then. just like all other sides, they should be made to start in the lowest possible league and work their way up.. The Northern Alliance league....

[quote user="Oz Canary"]Celtic and Rangers in Premiership with the rest scattered within the Championship and League 1. [/quote]Oh yeah, a nice little away trip.Inverness Caledonia Thistle versus Plymouth Argyle. A 1,300 miles round trip taking 22 hours (on a good day)

[quote user="Oz Canary"]

I understand your point Ghost however the SPL is on the same continent. We have Scots playing and managing all across the UK and I think it''s just time that both the FA and SFA start to seriously consider the amalgamation of the leagues.

I think that Celtic and Rangers could be placed into the EPL in an expanded league capacity from 20 to 22. Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts into Championship and the balance into League 1.

Maybe it''s a bit to simplistic but I think it would be great and I know it''s always been the SFA that has resisted but I reckon that there is a good chance (after this Rangers administration) that Celtic could turn around and approach the English FA and apply on their own which would mean the real end of Scottish football.

Ghost, on another note, are you based in Australia?

[/quote]

Well, let''s hope the ideas you propose above never come to fruition -- Aberdeen, Hearts & Hibs straight into the Championship!? Are you kidding? They''d do well to survive the Conference. Celtic & Rangers into a European Super League along with the Manchesters, Chelsea, Arsenal & Liverpool would suffice.And keep the Scottish League as it is - shite.

Right - I''m a Scot, currently living in Scotland and have done for most of my life except for a few years in Norwich. Let me explain why I choose to spend my cash travelling south to watch Norwich every few weeks (although away tickets have been a problem this year!!) rather than watch football up here.

The thing to understand about football up here is that, across Scotland (which only has a population of around 5 times Norfolk), people support Rangers/Celtic not only because of the glory hunting reasons that attract people all over the UK and beyond to the likes of Man U, but also a more sinister set of reasons based on religion, which I''ve found you can''t even start to explain meaningfully to anyone who hasn''t lived in west central Scotland. As a kid growing up in Glasgow in the 70''s I was considered a bit weird for choosing not to support either, but it was the Souness and TV revolution from the 90''s on that really made the gap grow to quite ridiculous proportions, and I like many others rapidly lost interest completely.

In relative terms, the Scottish Premier League nowadays is like a league with Man U, Man C then Oldham, Bournemouth, Port Vale etc. Huddersfield for example are now better attended than the likes of Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen. The lower leagues are at the Kings Lynn/Lowestoft level.

Happily I moved to Norwich in the late 90''s and soon got hooked on Carrow Rd.

When I moved back north - work again - I quickly realised that I got more enjoyment even from watching Grant, Roeder and Gunn''s progressive dismantling of the club than I did watching football up here. I''ve continued to do so ever since, and it''s got nothing to do with being in the Prem - I''d still go if we were league 2 because it remains more competitive, better supported and much more family orientated than up here. In short you don''t know how lucky you are, especially as - just to complete our misery - the Scottish national team will probably never qualify for another tournament in my lifetime.

A few other points - the Rangers Holt "bid" was, as others suggest, simply a shabby publicity stunt - they had no intention of actually bringing it off.

The gruesome twosome would undoubtedly struggle initially in the English leagues, but their fanbase is huge and with TV money they would eventually become competitive at the top end of the Prem

Sadly, I fear that if or when the Sky bubble starts to burst there will be serious pressure from TV to admit them as a way of boosting revenues, and that will be an interesting conundrum for the clubs.

In the meantime, I''d die happy if I could - just once - see Norwich tonk either of them in their own back yard in a meaningful game, something we would achieve with ease today.

Surely for any team from Scotland (or anywhere else) to get into the English leagues they''d have to do an AFC Wimbledon. It''s the only fair & proper way as you cannot simply put a team into a League without having serious ramifications for the whole promotion/relegation system. And once that loses credibility you might as well pack up because it opens the door for all sorts of ways to decide who plays in what league - ground capacity, ground facilities, attendances etc etcIt won''t happen.

Clubs who go into administration should have an * next to their name in the league table until they take the time as to pay their creditors back in full.

If a club only pays 10p in the pound and strikes up again fair enough (as much as I disagree with it) according to law they are allowed back in with a points punishment. But the * would be a stigma of shame for the future and would be the subject of ridicule from other fans.

I look through English football now and people talk about how well Southampton are doing, "doing a Norwich" - one difference we didn''t go into administration and start again. Its so easy to forget.

I know it would only be a symbolic thing but it would be the converse of the star on the shirt for a European Cup win or league win. It would be a constant reminder that those clubs had taken the easy route.

I always think of the newspaper sellers and pie sellers doing an honest job who lose out as creditors and go bankrupt and think administration is so so wrong.