Sign in to follow this  
the pigman

Most improved player from last season

Mine is Ruddy,having wached last seasons dvd he is now top class and a safe as pair of hands as any prem keeper.Last season he did look shakey at times,all credit to him  for all the hard work he must of put in.

It is a common misconception Ruddy was useless last season, yes Ruddy had ONE OR TWO moments where he made silly errors, but on the whole was solid.

Most improved player for me has to be Tierney, was good last season without being spectacular, but this season has put in some fine performances.

Personally, I cant quite believe how Grant Holt appears to have taken to scoring goals in the Prem, just like a duck to water. He was great in League One and I never doubted he could score in The Champ, but I honestly thought he would be average at best in the Prem. Although sometimes he appears to try just a bit too hard, there is no doubting that he has upped his game considerably - some of his goals have been pure class (Everton and number 2 at Swansea), and the way he has produced one or two assists has been far better than you would normally expect from your average overweight tyre fitter.

Ruddy.

In my opinion he''s gone from being a good goalkeeper last season to a very good goalkeeper this season.

For me it''s Surman. He had a long lay-off last season, amd perhaps never really got going. although it was clear that he has class and technical ability.

While he will probably not get any faster, we have seen him take on  fullbacks on the outside, and he is certainly mobile in a "box-to-box" way, popping up on goal line and then right forward. A little more consistency in finishing and he could be an outstanding player (but he''s not the only one to miss chances!).

it''s Surman, easily for me. i was never really a fan of his, he doesn''t have the attributes that i like to see in a winger, but he is not really a winger, more a creative midfielder. He has really worked hard on his defense game, proving by the fact he has been top tackler and a few games. He is also proving a little prolific in front of goal, i would guess he is going to end the season as the highest scoring midfielder. Good work Surman.I agree with what someone said about Holt, he may not be most improved but he has relaly taken to the prem league, i think his assits have been world class, some of his crosses for a forward blow my mind, inch perfect almost everytime, really deserves an england shot and i never thought i would say that.I think Whitbred has been class this season too when fit, we saw his ability last year when he recovered from his injury, but i think over recent months he has become one hell of a solid CB, i think with him, Ayala and Bennet as our 3 main CB we are on to a good thing, Ward showed he is more than capable when he came in. (Barnet can go at the end of the season, he was a pile of shit at the start of the season when comparing his performance to those from our CBs in recent weeks)

i think you could say all the players have stepped up really well and if i had to pick one out it would be grant holt at the start of the season i was worried about the left back tierney but hes done great and would come in a close second

For me Holt, Ruddy, Tierney were all good-to-excellent last season so while they''ve done well to step up I couldn''t say they are the most improved.

For most improved player I''d have to say Surman.  I''ve always felt he is one of the best natural creative footballers we have but last year I felt he was too tentative about physical challenges and also reluctant to take responsibility - with a bit of time on the edge of the box he would pass back or to someone in no better a position rather than try to make somethign happen or take a shot.  Both of which largely are confidence issues.

Even last year he got better through the year, e.g I remember a key goal against Bristol City when we were struggling to break them down, but this year since he got a goal I think he''s had a realisation that he is good enough for the Prem and the creative side of his game has really stood out.  And he''s a bit more robust in challenges - ok he''s never going to be a Johnson, but he''s better at competing for the ball.

I think with Surman, Bennett and Pilkington all being excellent creative providers - plus Wes of course - explains part of the reason other teams are finding it hard to stop us.

Surman, Jackson, Drury too!

But I think that Pilks and Benno deserve as much credit as anyone as they have made the step from league 1 and unlike the rest missed the Championship.

Jonno, Moro, Ayala, Vaughan had all previously played in the chapionship so had less of a jump.

Holt - he is older than a lot of the others so much more difficult for him to improve. They all deserve credit, they have all stepped their game up.

got to be holt. like many fans wondered if he would make the transition from lg.1 to championship, now we are wondering if he would be a sucess in an england shirt.

Russell Martin deserves a mention aswell. Was average in league one , was Mr consistent last season. Lost his place after one game this season unfairly imo. Came back fighting and has put in some top performances at centre back.

They were all awesome last season. I didn''t expect Jackson and Holt to do so well but they were still great last year. For me, it''s Surman who has actually improved the most. Looks like a great player now and has put in some massive shifts but with skill and finesse. Proud of every one of the players so far and the spirit is incredible. You can tell from twitter and all the pictures and messages they send each other how close they are as a group. Even players like Wilby and Laps who play very infrequently seem to be a big influence on the others and involved in what they do off the pitch.

Absolutely loving it right now