Sign in to follow this  
zemas tendon

HOW MUCH!!!

Don''t get too excited either way. We have spent about £5-6m in the widow, our wage bill has grown with higher salaries, we have had increased expenses - policing, travel, hotel, scouting, etc, and we are committed to reducing our accumulated debt.

Don''t expect too much to be available in the summer!

[quote user="Salopian"]

Don''t get too excited either way. We have spent about £5-6m in the widow, our wage bill has grown with higher salaries, we have had increased expenses - policing, travel, hotel, scouting, etc, and we are committed to reducing our accumulated debt.

[/quote]

Don''t agree with this, I expect the board will make around 10million available for transfers. Much of the money spent in January was cash Lambert saved from last summer.

I believe the £95 million number is based on one season in the Prem and includes 4 years worth of parachute payments.

So liek what has already been said don''t expect us to spend big this summer with a big chunk of debt to pay off.

Davo

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

Don''t agree with this, I expect the board will make around 10million available for transfers. Much of the money spent in January was cash Lambert saved from last summer.

[/quote]

£10 mill is still not a lot at this level and once you take away the money needed for Naughton or a new right back you could be looking like £6-7mill left. That''s about the same as Wolves paid for Kevin Doyle so it doesn''t exactly stretch that far.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Salopian"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

£10 mill is still not a lot at this level and once you take away the money needed for Naughton or a new right back you could be looking like £6-7mill left. That''s about the same as Wolves paid for Kevin Doyle so it doesn''t exactly stretch that far.

Davo

[/quote]

Surely we will have at least as much as we did last year, but this year we will need to buy fewer players and can spend a bit more on 2 or 3 quality recruits.

I think a year in the Premier League guarantees us at least £42 million - even if we finish bottom next year.If we were to get relegated at some point we''ll be in line for a further £48 million over the following four years by way of parachute payments.These would stop if we got promoted again within the four years as we''d be back on the £42 million a year gravy train again.These figures are probably wrong by a few million here or there but at these sort of telephone numbers who cares ?

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Don''t agree with this, I expect the board will make around 10million available for transfers. Much of the money spent in January was cash Lambert saved from last summer. [/quote]The team doesn''t need to be overhauled so I think a couple of ''experienced'' additions maybe in order such as a Christopher Samba (

£6-8M) or the like.  Still keeps the finances in line with this year and doesn''t mess with the team chemistry.  I''d also like to see PL sign a long term deal as well.

All of a sudden that debt of ours, which has been a mill-stone around our neck for years, seems like peanuts now.

How have some of these clubs, like Everton, who have been perpetual residents in the Premier League managed to get into so much debt?

Silly fees, ridiculous wages and bad management sums it up I suppose.  

The figures I''ve seen put about most are £40m guaranteed for the season, even if we finished bottom, and then an extra £750-800k for each position above that. So, if we were to finish 8th we would earn an extra £9.6m.

Certainly worth thinking about.

[quote user="E.L.F."][quote user="lincoln canary"]
Don''t agree with this, I expect the board will make around 10million available for transfers. Much of the money spent in January was cash Lambert saved from last summer. [/quote]

The team doesn''t need to be overhauled so I think a couple of ''experienced'' additions maybe in order such as a Christopher Samba ( £6-8M) or the like.  Still keeps the finances in line with this year and doesn''t mess with the team chemistry.  I''d also like to see PL sign a long term deal as well.
[/quote]

Completely agree, no squad overhaul neccesary. I''d spend 10 million on naughton and a stiker and be happy at that.

[quote user="PRDH"]The figures I''ve seen put about most are £40m guaranteed for the season, even if we finished bottom, and then an extra £750-800k for each position above that. So, if we were to finish 8th we would earn an extra £9.6m. Certainly worth thinking about.[/quote]

Add to that gate receipts, sponsorship, TV money, a decent cup run and catering etc., and it becomes truly mind-boggleing.

"We''re rich beyond our wildest dreams," To mis-quote that financial genius Robbie Williams.    

[quote user="Canary Man of Kent"]

Surely we will have at least as much as we did last year, but this year we will need to buy fewer players and can spend a bit more on 2 or 3 quality recruits.

[/quote]

I don''t disagree I think a right back and a good quality box to box centre midfielder would go a long way. Alos if funds are efet a 4th striker (possibly on loan) because we just don''t know if Vaughan will be fit. We have survived the vast majority of this season with 3 strikers.

The problem will be wages as I don''t think our wage structure will change that much. Spending £5 mill on a player is fine but offering wages of £40k a week for a club in our position is still a dangerous propisition. We are having a fantastic season but next season we have to start all over again and it will be just as hard if not harder.

As for the mention of Chris Samba I think he would be out of our wage range. I would like it if he came here but I don''t think we would pay the kind of wages he would ask for.

Davo

Spending money guarantees you nothing as Liverpool and the like are proving.

I would like to see a season of relative prudence for next year, snapping up more talent from the lower leagues, in turn increasing their value, and trying to keep a lid on the wages as much as possible.

There is far greater pride in a squad produced in Norwich''s fashion than say QPR, who are proving that spending money willy nilly is not always the answer.

If next season Norwich consolidate their Premier League place, then it might be worth splashing a little more cash. I''d rather they continued their current policy - stash the cash for a rainy day.....

Didn''t McNally and Bowkett say that we would be paying off another large chunk of the debt this season out of this years prem money so that but the end of the next financial year we will be virtually debt free?

I agree with the comments above about no need for a huge squad overhaul. we should not forget we still have Howson and Bennett to come into the squad oth of whom have not featured yet. I understand also that wages will also increase if we stay up. i would still hope, however, that of the £40 something million we will be guaranteed next season a reasonably sizeable chuck could be made available to Lambo for three or four well targetted signings. I think may a couple of full backs will be required and suspect lambo will want another striker. i also think a defensive midfielder will be on the list.

As has been said above finishing top half could well earn us an extra £8m+ compared to what we have budgetted for. That alone could make a difference to lambo''s war chest. As presumably could a Wembley appearance (or two) in the FA Cup. 

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

Completely agree, no squad overhaul neccesary. I''d spend 10 million on naughton and a stiker and be happy at that.

[/quote]

Let''s say that Naughton is worth £3million? What sort of wages do you think your £7million striker is going to want? It is not as simple as saying ''we should spend £10million''.

I would imagine our strategy will be similar to this season. Try and pick up young British players from the lower leagues (Pilkington, Morison, Bennett) and supplement them with a few Premier League reserves with the right attitude either permanently (Ayala, Vaughan) or on loan (De Laet, Naughton). Then keep a little back for a cut price raid on more young talent who may be coming to the end of their contract (Howson).

Any money we get will be needed simply to keep the club running at the present level, with only mild expense on new players.  When will fans get it into their heads that Norwichwill not be buying £8-9 million players and the associated wages that that will involve.  If we ever do go down that road we will end up with less team spirit, a team struggling at the bottom of the premiership, deperate not to go down because we would lose all our best players.   Lets stay realistic.

If we do go down any season it would be better to go down keeping good house keeping principles, then we would be able to go again.

[quote user="Davo"]

The problem will be wages as I don''t think our wage structure will change that much. Spending £5 mill on a player is fine but offering wages of £40k a week for a club in our position is still a dangerous propisition. We are having a fantastic season but next season we have to start all over again and it will be just as hard if not harder.

As for the mention of Chris Samba I think he would be out of our wage range. I would like it if he came here but I don''t think we would pay the kind of wages he would ask for.[/quote]

I do agree that Samba''s estimated wage of £60k a week is substantial and with PSG and Spurs kicking the tyres the fee will be £10M+.  But he is nowhere near the top of the scale and his impact on a squad such as NCFC would be massive IMO which should warrant a look at. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Any money we get will be needed simply to keep the club running at the present level, with only mild expense on new players.  When will fans get it into their heads that Norwichwill not be buying £8-9 million players and the associated wages that that will involve.  If we ever do go down that road we will end up with less team spirit, a team struggling at the bottom of the premiership, deperate not to go down because we would lose all our best players.   Lets stay realistic.

If we do go down any season it would be better to go down keeping good house keeping principles, then we would be able to go again.[/quote]

LDC, I would agree if the players being brought in at these prices were the likes of Jimmy Bullard, Joey Barton, Peter Crouch or any other journeyman.  But sometimes you might have to look at a specific piece to complete the puzzle.  I think NCFC is close to completing the puzzle for at least the next several seasons.

[quote user="E.L.F."][quote user="lincoln canary"]
Don''t agree with this, I expect the board will make around 10million available for transfers. Much of the money spent in January was cash Lambert saved from last summer. [/quote]

The team doesn''t need to be overhauled so I think a couple of ''experienced'' additions maybe in order such as a Christopher Samba ( £6-8M) or the like.  Still keeps the finances in line with this year and doesn''t mess with the team chemistry.  I''d also like to see PL sign a long term deal as well.
[/quote]

Samba is rumoured to be on £4m a year in wages. I can''t see us affording that at the moment.

[quote user="PRDH"]The figures I''ve seen put about most are £40m guaranteed for the season, even if we finished bottom, and then an extra £750-800k for each position above that. So, if we were to finish 8th we would earn an extra £9.6m.

Certainly worth thinking about.[/quote]

Good point. We could yet overhaul Newcastle or tumble down a few places. I''m sure Lambert is aware of the need to finish as high as possible to boost any transfer kitty.

"Try and pick up young British players from the lower leagues (Pilkington, Morison, Bennett) and supplement them with a few Premier League reserves with the right attitude either permanently (Ayala, Vaughan) or on loan (De Laet, Naughton). Then keep a little back for a cut price raid on more young talent who may be coming to the end of their contract (Howson)."

This is the way we used to do it in the 80s / early 90s, if I recall correctly. This post should not be confused with any pro- Robert Chase sentiment whatsoever, incidentally.