Sign in to follow this  
mikemiddle

3 points against the top 6

to top off a great season so far would love for us to beat a top 6 side.I would swap 8 place for 14 as long as we beat a so called big side and carried that into next season .I know we could finish 8 and beat a top side and i hope we do but this is like supporting roy of the rovers stuff these days can it get any better than this happy days ?

So you''d swap about £3million in bonus money to beat a top 6 side. You''re in a minority there I''d imagine. I woould take getting beat 3-0 by all the top 6 teams if we got 8th.

[quote user="mikemiddle"]

to top off a great season so far would love for us to beat a top 6 side.I would swap 8 place for 14 as long as we beat a so called big side and carried that into next season .I know we could finish 8 and beat a top side and i hope we do but this is like supporting roy of the rovers stuff these days can it get any better than this happy days ?

[/quote]In understand what you are saying, would be nice to take a big scalp and i think Man U and the Liverpool game at home will be our only chance of that, if we go for it, which i realy expect we will at home, espicially now survivial is basically guaranteed. However, i''m not sure the win against Man U last time round in the prem would have been such a big deal if we had managed to stay upWhat i find the most satisfying this season has been our ability to beat the teams we came up with, both times, as well as beating those supposed bottom half teams, it is results like these that make your season, not the odd point against a top team

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="mikemiddle"]

[/quote]

In understand what you are saying, would be nice to take a big scalp and i think Man U and the Liverpool game at home will be our only chance of that, if we go for it, which i realy expect we will at home, espicially now survivial is basically guaranteed. However, i''m not sure the win against Man U last time round in the prem would have been such a big deal if we had managed to stay up

What i find the most satisfying this season has been our ability to beat the teams we came up with, both times, as well as beating those supposed bottom half teams, it is results like these that make your season, not the odd point against a top team
[/quote]

Can that now be classed as a 6-pointer? [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Surely Newcastle were top six when we beat them.[/quote]

Yes they were and I fancy another win against Manure, at home aswell as Liverpool.

Agree with Pricey. It has always bugged me that to be a good team, we should never give much away to the bottom sides. They might have the odd bum result against midtable sides, but once in a  blue moon do the top sides slip up against the bottom few.

We have played 7 of the 10 games against the current bottom 5 teams and are undefeated, and for me that is a great stat. Any team that only loses no more than 1 of those 10 games will never be anywhere near the relegation zone.

A win against Man U? Well it''s not impossible, would I swap it for 14th place? Not a chance 

[quote user="Blurboy1980"]Blackburn must be chuffed then beating Man Utd earlier in the season despite the position they are in the table.
[/quote]

Hence the once in a  blue moon comment.

Last time we played in the Premier League we beat Man Utd 2-0 and as we well know to our cost that counted for didderly squat in the big picture at the end of the season.[:|]

If we can be in 8th /9th for the next three years without beating a top 6 side i will be very happy .

Some might call this thread presumptious, but, surely, it''s a sign of just what we''ve achieved this season that we can be having this discussion at all. If we were in the bottom 3 , at risk of getting marooned there, which, let''s face it, was everyone''s fear back in August, I cannot see we''d be fretting about whether we would get a win over Liverpool, MU et al.

As others have said, I''m not overly fussed where the points come from. In fact , over the course of a season, there''s an argument that it''s better to take points off potential relegation rivals than getting odd wins at Old Trafford.

For the record, I reckon the home game v L''pool offers our best chance, but , as an outside bet, if Arsenal get stuck in their annual collapse,  nice 3 pts at the Emirates  a week later would not be out of the question.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Last time we played in the Premier League we beat Man Utd 2-0 and as we well know to our cost that counted for didderly squat in the big picture at the end of the season.[:|][/quote]

On the contrary, it was the highlight of the season and enabled us to be in with a shout of staying up right to the last game of the season.  Every win is important whoever against and whenever it is.