Sign in to follow this  
Old Shuck

Question For Those More Seasoned Norwich Fans: Terry Bly

Bit of help re.Terry Bly-anyone, infact...

His first season at the club, 56/57, was a bad one for the Canaries-bottom of Div 3 South, needed to seek re-election, he played in a few games but was never prominent.

Missed all of 57/58 before coming to the fore in 58/59, including the Cup run.

Why did he miss all of 57/58-assume it must have been injury?

That and any other info appreciated-the online sources I have thus far read don''t mention that campaign at all so am certain it could only have been an long term injury, but any details would be appreciated, ta.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

His first season at the club, 56/57, was a bad one for the Canaries-bottom of Div 3 South, needed to seek re-election, he played in a few games but was never prominent.

That and any other info appreciated-the online sources I have thus far read don''t mention that campaign at all so am certain it could only have been an long term injury, but any details would be appreciated, ta.

[/quote]

Shuck, I don''t know the answer. If it was an injury it was a very long one, because not only, as you say, did he not play at all in the 1957/58 season, but in the next season, the Cup season, he didn''t play until late November.

You would have thought an injury that long-term would have been mentioned in the various club histories, but doesn''t seem to be. The other possibility is that he was regarded as being a bit raw as a player and not really first-team material. He did rather explode on the scene in that Cup run.

A very distant memory recalls an operation for a knee injury.Judging by the amount of time it takes for players to recover from a similar operation nowadays, I would assume a much longer period out of action would occur then.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

Shuck, I don''t know the answer. If it was an injury it was a very long one, because not only, as you say, did he not play at all in the 1957/58 season, but in the next season, the Cup season, he didn''t play until late November.

You would have thought an injury that long-term would have been mentioned in the various club histories, but doesn''t seem to be. The other possibility is that he was regarded as being a bit raw as a player and not really first-team material. He did rather explode on the scene in that Cup run.

[/quote]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m waaaayyy too young to remember this. But what I do know is he had a cartilage operation. Also I think he made more appearances for the reserves than the first team.

Ricardo is your man......

Ask Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [;)]

Thanks all.

I''m just writing about him and the Cup run as part of my next book.

He is one of "the" names synonymous with that run of 59, yet, prior to the Man Utd game in the 3rd round, had, in two and a half years, made just eleven league appearances, scoring three goals-so he was a bit of an unknown quantity, even at Norwich and it seemed like a toss up between him and a bloke we signed from Cheltenham Town called Peter Cleland as to who would play-Macaulay gave the shirt to Bly and the rest, as they say, is history....

So he was thrown into the deep end-and responded with interest!

was at wymondham college which was totally rugby in those days so were not allowed to know anything football related. only got information on a saturday afternoon when we went out on a walk, ended up in attleborough is shop doorways listening for any information. remember nothing about blys injury but remember the pink ''uns headline of "bly,bly,babes" after a certain match.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m waaaayyy too young to remember this. But what I do know is he had a cartilage operation. Also I think he made more appearances for the reserves than the first team.

Ricardo is your man......

Ask Rickyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy [;)]

[/quote]

Quite right Nigel it was a knee problem..

Young Terry didn''t really break into the first team until the year of the Cup run. I remember seeing him score a few for the reserves when I was a young lad. In those days Ken Nethercott was playing in the reserves, (Oxford was mostly the No 1 keeper). I recall standing behind the River End goal and Ken turning to the crowd and saying that Terry was going to big a big star one day. Funny that, you can''t imagine a player talking to the crowd while a game was in progress but Ken would often  chat with those behind the goal.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Thanks all.

He is one of "the" names synonymous with that run of 59, yet, prior to the Man Utd game in the 3rd round, had, in two and a half years, made just eleven league appearances, scoring three goals-so he was a bit of an unknown quantity, even at Norwich and it seemed like a toss up between him and a bloke we signed from Cheltenham Town called Peter Cleland as to who would play-Macaulay gave the shirt to Bly and the rest, as they say, is history....

[/quote]

Shuck, you''ve jogged a memory there with Peter Cleland. I had almost forgotten him, I think he played in the 2nd round replay against Swindon after Terry Bly had played in the away game. You are right that Terry burst on the scene somewhat unexpectedly, I think the Swindon match was only his second of the season.

I feel pretty sure that he must have been injured because I recall he played in the 56 and 57 seasons though mainly for the reserves. I had a look through some of my old progs and found one from December 57 and he had played 11 times for the reserves scoring twice but no games at all for the first team.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Thanks all.

[/quote]

Are you sure about that Shuck - that he only had 3 before the United game? My first game at Carrow Road was that in the league against Southend the Saturday immediately before that Man Utd FA Cup match that was on on the 10th January 1959.

City beat Southend 4-0 that day with 3 of the goals coming in the first 12 minutes at the River End before a goggle-eyed young boy. Now as to whether Terry scored 2 or 3 that day I''m darned if I can remember at this distance in time but it was one or t''other, with Allcock scoring too as I recall. And after the 3rd went in boyoboy did City put on a passing master class that day....dry your eyes Swansea. And, of course, in total it was all excellent preparation for that United match.

I remember getting there early that day and getting a voucher for the United game at the turnstile coming in. And because I was there early I got a barrier spot beside some old regular who was half sozzled and finished up clipping me round the ear with his great big green and yellow rattle whist almost falling over as the 3rd went in!

Happy memories.

OTBC 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Old Shuck"]

Thanks all.

[/quote]

Are you sure about that Shuck - that he only had 3 before the United game? My first game at Carrow Road was that in the league against Southend the Saturday immediately before that Man Utd FA Cup match that was on on the 10th January 1959.

City beat Southend 4-0 that day with 3 of the goals coming in the first 12 minutes at the River End before a goggle-eyed young boy. Now as to whether Terry scored 2 or 3 that day I''m darned if I can remember at this distance in time but it was one or t''other, with Allcock scoring too as I recall. And after the 3rd went in boyoboy did City put on a passing master class that day....dry your eyes Swansea. And, of course, in total it was all excellent preparation for that United match.

I remember getting there early that day and getting a voucher for the United game at the turnstile coming in. And because I was there early I got a barrier spot beside some old regular who was half sozzled and finished up clipping me round the ear with his great big green and yellow rattle whist almost falling over as the 3rd went in!

Happy memories.

OTBC 

[/quote]

Yes Bly, I remember that Southend match. I stood behind the Barclay goal where all those goals went in. I think it was the first game that the classic ''59 Cup run line up all played together. Terry had featured in the 1-1- draw away at Swindon but I feel sure Cleland played in the Wednesday afternoon replay. I can''t remember why that game was on an afternoon but I can remember bunking off school to see it.

Terry had been around for a couple of years but was a reserve team player mostly. When he came in for that Southend match he just went from strength to strength. The rest is history, as they say.

Terry Bly did have a serious injury which required a lot of time out and wasn''t a 1st team regular until he made his name during the 58/59 cup run!

Also in them days without subs if you wern''t in that was it!

Amazes me we sold him to 4th Division Peterborough. Nowadays a 3rd Division striker gettign the goals Bly did particularly the cup run would of gone to a higher League club not downwards!

Saome good material here, thanks everyone-and Ricardo, thanks for your E Mail, will be reciprocating.

Have just checked up on Terry''s league and cup appearances for us. He played in 9 league games in the 56/57 season, scoring two goals (a 1-1 draw at Colchester and a 2-2 home draw against Walsall), didn''t play at all the following season because of his cartilage injury and then, up until that Man Utd game on Jan 10th 1959 had played just two more league games-Notts County, 1-1 (h) on 22/11/58 and the league game a week before the Cup match, a 4-0 win over Southend on Jan 3rd. He scored one, with Terry Allcock (2) and Errol Crossan the other scorers. That was such a dominant performance and good win that Maculay must have felt compelled to stick with the same side for the Man Utd game, which he did-bly''s goal against Southend no doubt aiding his cause against the claim of Cleland. We''d had another striker earlier in the season called Keith Ripley who looked handy-6 goals in 12 games, but he''d left the club by then so I guess that No.9 shirt was there for either Cleland or Bly to earn and the latter did just that, going on, after Man Utd, to score another 21 goals in the remaining 21 games of the season.

Phenomenal!

Ricardo, he did play in the first game against Swindon but Cleland came in for the replay.

Very grateful. If anyone would like to join Ricardo and help me with some details from other games that are before my spectating time-from around the Tottenham game in the 5th round, to one in 1967, and the Saunders promotion campaign, first season in Div 1 and the seasons that followed, drop me a line, old.harnser@gmail.com. When writing about the games its far, far better to have the thoughts and recollections of those who were there than any reference book.

Ta!

Ed