Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Abandoned games, anyone remember this one

The recent abandoned Scum game reminded me of the City v Chelsea League Cup Semi Final in the 1971/2 season which I attended.City had a 2-0 advantage from the first leg at Stamford Bridge with goals from Bone & Cross.Even better, City were 3-2 up in the second leg (5-2 on aggregate) at Carrow Road with goals from Anderson, Cross and Cheesely.But unbelieveably, the game was abandoned after 85 minutes due to extremely thick fog.However, City went on to win the rearranged match 1-0 (going through 3-0 on aggregate) with a goal from Govier.Attendances - Abandoned game 32,000, rearranged game 34,000.Unfortunately we lost the final 1-0 to Spurs with a goal from Ralph Coates.City team in the final - Keelan, Payne, Butler, Stringer, Forbes, Briggs, Livermore, Blair (Howard), Cross, Paddon, Anderson. 

Good memory MP. That 3-2 win and goalscorers are no longer in the record books. Were you there? It was unreal when the game was abandoned so late with us 3 goals to the good on aggregate. In the quarters we had won 3-0 at Arsenal with a hat-trick from Graham Paddon. I was there and had booked up to go to Chelsea for the 1st leg of the semi-final. But even that game was postponed, we were on the bus leaving the city when the news came through. I never got to the rearranged game to see us win 2-0!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Were you there? [/quote]I was at the abandoned game & the rearranged fixture. I can remember getting into the rearranged fixture - there was such a crush at the Barclay end that the wooden & corregated tin "exit" gates gave way so everybody just walked in.

I was at the abandoned game standing in the corner of the River End/ South Stand. Couldn''t even see the corner flag in front of us! If I''m not mistaken  wasn''t the ref Gordon Hill? Happy Days![:)]

I was at both the home games too MP. And in the Barclay. It was unreal! But I''m not one who wants to see a return to those days. I can''t imagine anyone wishing their grandchildren could be watching football like that. Like most things, we tend to remember the good bits and not the bad.

Ref was Gordon Hill Doris. And we did it all without Big Dunc! He had been injured at Highbury. Punctured lung courtesy of John Radford. I remember the next time we played Arsenal Radford kept out of Duncans way and spent most the game hiding on the left wing[;)]

I  well remember those two Chelsea games and the first leg at Stamford Bridge as we were 15 mins late in for that and missed both our goals !!Gordon Hill was an excellent ref but he had no choice but to abandon the first Carrow Road match as the fog was so thick you couldn''t see beyond the half-way line from behind the goal. I remember the delighted Chelsea chants of, " We want fog " ringing out from the Barclay Stand. Frustratingly the fog, which had rolled in over the River End, pretty much cleared completely less than 30 mins after the abandonment !No such problems for Gordon on his return but it was a much more nervy affair as having had a three goal lead in the abandoned match we couldn''t help thinking it would all go wrong in the re-arranged game.In the end after all that turmoil it was still a 3-0 aggregate score.....

The Chelsea one was before my time but talking of fog and games at Carrow Road stirred a distant memory...although I could be wrong. Was there a game against Oxford abandoned in the 80''s (or possibly the early 90''s) because of the fog coming in from the Wensum? I recall being in the River End when it became difficult to see beyond the half-way line.

Anyone else able to confirm that I am not imagining things?

Remember a game at Sheffield Wednesday a few years ago under Roeder where the fog came down, we were winning (thought it would get called off) then they scored a couple and the fog disappeared. 3-2 I think when Lita and Clingan scored if memory serves me well.

[quote user="Making Plans"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Were you there? [/quote]I was at the abandoned game & the rearranged fixture. I can remember getting into the rearranged fixture - there was such a crush at the Barclay end that the wooden & corregated tin "exit" gates gave way so everybody just walked in. [/quote]

I was also at both fixtures but being young at the time and queuing past the gates when it happened, my sister and I were both lifted off our feet and carried in by the crush when the gates gave way. It seemed a little scary at the time but was probably quite dangerous by today''s standards.

I was at the re-arranged Chelsea game in the South Stand near the barclay end.    It was so crowded one of my mates decided to create a bit of space so started shouting "Chelsea, Chelsea".............it worked! 

Remember a fantastic Keelan save near the end as well.  Ruddy marvelous....................he''s not bad either!

Didn''t  attend the game as a 9 year old but remember listerning to Soccer Special on Radio 2 with all the delightful interference that seemed to kick in early evenings,think Maurice Eddleston was the commentator.On the subject of evening games back in the 70s only way to find the latest score was to ring the Social Club or pick up the police freqeuncy which would sometimes mention the match

I was there in the River End, stood on my fold up stool behind a crush barrier midway up (I was only 9 at the time).  The first match was fantastic, we really outplayed Chelsea.  Think it took an age to get out.  I guess they were the biggest crowds I ever experienced at Carrow road (36K plus both matches) but underlines the fact that a 35,000 stadium now could easily be filled given the increasing population of Norwich.  Also agree that you can''t look back on those days without thinking of Hillsbrough and what might have happened in the fog if there had have been some form of panic at the end of that match.  Glad I experienced it all the same.  Wasn''t it also the time of 3 day week as well?

[quote user="shefcanary"]Wasn''t it also the time of 3 day week as well?[/quote]Ah, I remember going to see City v Millwall on (I think) a Wednesday during the power cut period & it kicked off at 2pm - could have Tuesday/3pm but it was an mid week game with an afternoon kick off.

I have to say I can still remember like yesterday that match and I have to own up it is the only match I have cried at! and I was not the only one. You have to remember in those days we were still a very small fish in the top league and had never been to Wembley so to be up 5-2 on aggregate with only five minutes to go in what was a great match end to end stuff and then from nowhere this fog appeared and within minutes couldnt see other end. It was heartbreaking.And as a true City fan I thought at the time the worse, destiny etc we were never going to Wembley etc, however this time the re arranged match was a non event and we got through but really nowhere near as good a game and somehow not the same feeling as previous match.Maybe it is time to go to Wembley again!

I was away at college when Paddon scored his hatrick over Arsenal. My Newcastle-supporting friends were so impressed they insisted on taking me down to the bar straight after the match to buy me a celebratory pint!

My brother was in London and at the match - he''d got a ticket but amongst the Arsenal fans - every goal that went in his arms went up automatically and then quickly back down again as he contained his excitement. Paddon was a very stylish player who scored lots of good goals but a hatrick v Arsenal away was something else!

The 2nd leg v Chelsea I was back in Norfolk - I think with flu'' and listened to the BBC commentary in bed - I think it was by the late Peter Jones. Ten minutes from the end It went something like: "And this is unbelievable, the fog is just rolling in from the river end - we soon won''t be able to see the goal or the corner flags - and now we can''t see either the goal or the corner flags - and I''m sure the referee cannot either." Think I''m right in saying the river end was still open then?

I did make it to Wembley though not a memorable match.

Minor error I think Making Plans - the season was 72-73 not 71-72?

I was in Norwich 71-72 and am sure the fog match was when I was away at College.

The first game was a bit ''fruity'' with loads of Chelsea in the Barclay, though they seemed to be in ones or twos rather than one big block.We were about cross bar height in Barclay and there were a few fisticuffs, really odd night. Remember Keelan stood on the edge of the box jumping up as we scored at the River End, he could see, we barely could. Calls of ''we want Foggo''. Hideous shuffle up Carrow Road after the game. Odd though I can''t remember thinking we wouldn''t win the next game.Ages queueing up for the second game and as we went through the turnstiles Barclay/Main Stand we had to settle for watching the game just in from the steps going up into the Barclay at that corner. Mate went for a pee and we didn''t see him again - until we got back to the car, that is. I think Prince Andrew was there that night with the Bishop of Norwich. Still have the bar scarf that I used to, either tie to my left wrist, or later hang from my belt.Happy days as you could get a couple of pints on the pub on the right of Carrow Road (Courage I think), then pay through the Junior/OAP turnstile, followed by another pint at the back of the Barclay (though not on those nights). Most of the back of the Barclay had ''such and such club'' rule ok sprayed everywhere. "or pick up the police freqeuncy which would sometimes mention the match"My mates dad used to do that. It was on the light wave I think. You could here the control speaking but not the plod replying, if I remember.

[quote user="Making Plans"]The recent abandoned Scum game reminded me of the City v Chelsea League Cup Semi Final in the 1971/2 season which I attended.

City had a 2-0 advantage from the first leg at Stamford Bridge with goals from Bone & Cross.

Even better, City were 3-2 up in the second leg (5-2 on aggregate) at Carrow Road with goals from Anderson, Cross and Cheesely.

But unbelieveably, the game was abandoned after 85 minutes due to extremely thick fog.

However, City went on to win the rearranged match 1-0 (going through 3-0 on aggregate) with a goal from Govier.

Attendances - Abandoned game 32,000, rearranged game 34,000.

Unfortunately we lost the final 1-0 to Spurs with a goal from Ralph Coates.

City team in the final - Keelan, Payne, Butler, Stringer, Forbes, Briggs, Livermore, Blair (Howard), Cross, Paddon, Anderson.

[/quote]

Etched upon my soul, it was just like a scene from The Fog, minus the pirates.

I watched every game that season too.

I well remember both games I stood in the Barclay towards the Main stand where it was partly uncovered. As a 13 year old those were magical days just promoted to division 1 for the first time and then a trip to Wembley.

Now i have seen that there are loads of old wrinklees on this thread i feel safe to come on board and admit to being there that night.I make it ten posters so far and there must be many more lurking on this thread who are old enough to remember that run to Wembley.I was on duty that night but off duty for the re-arranged game.There used to be a friendly gate man on the old tin gate at the Barclay end of the Main stand who would let off duty Police in on production of a warrant card so i saw both games. [;)]

Steve Govier who was playing in the place of the injured Duncan Forbes scored the goal in a 1-0 win which ensured a trip to Wembley for the very first time in our history.

I have to admit that I was at both games and the final which was won by Ralph Coates, mainly famous for his Bobby Charlton hairstyle.

[quote user="PKC"]I well remember both games I stood in the Barclay towards the Main stand where it was partly uncovered. As a 13 year old those were magical days just promoted to division 1 for the first time and then a trip to Wembley.[/quote]

Thank goodness for you kiddo.[:)] I was thinking I''d become one of Tilly''s old wrinklies! We''ll fly the flag for the younger generation and at least we paid to get in Pete[;)] I was 16. I was in the Barclay behind the goal. I used to stand near Lily Kemp back then. God some of you lot are old[H]

[quote user="Binky"]I was away at college when Paddon scored his hatrick over Arsenal. My Newcastle-supporting friends were so impressed they insisted on taking me down to the bar straight after the match to buy me a celebratory pint! My brother was in London and at the match - he''d got a ticket but amongst the Arsenal fans - every goal that went in his arms went up automatically and then quickly back down again as he contained his excitement. Paddon was a very stylish player who scored lots of good goals but a hatrick v Arsenal away was something else! The 2nd leg v Chelsea I was back in Norfolk - I think with flu'' and listened to the BBC commentary in bed - I think it was by the late Peter Jones. Ten minutes from the end It went something like: "And this is unbelievable, the fog is just rolling in from the river end - we soon won''t be able to see the goal or the corner flags - and now we can''t see either the goal or the corner flags - and I''m sure the referee cannot either." Think I''m right in saying the river end was still open then? I did make it to Wembley though not a memorable match.[/quote]

A wonderful commentator, Peter Jones. With an almost Shakespearian turn of phrase sometimes.

Ah, Peter Jones.....I remember the programmes used to start in midweek just after 8 and games kicked off at 7.30, so you had no idea until this time what had happened in the first half hour!!!Great two games against Chelsea, I''m sure one of them featured on either Sportsnight/MidweekSports Special, would be great to see some footage. I also remember two games against Man Utd in the semi the following year, these were both on TV and the year after we went out to Wolves in the semi, again on TV, suer it was the grate Gerry Harrison commentating on this one..Slim chance but anyone seen any clips anywhere?

Currently on Ebayhttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=140699579841Wow, 7p for a programme.[img]http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/5503/46597159.jpg[/img]