Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Centreback Partnership - Ward, Martin, Whitbread, Ayala, Bennett, Barnett

Providing they''re no more injuries between now and the end of March, all of these players will be avaliable to pick.

When all fit, which two will Lambert pick? No reasons or explanations just simply put two names so it''s clear to see who is preferred.

Whitbread and Bennett

I suspect Ayala & Bennett, but you may be correct with Whitebread as he''s a left footer. Those are certainly our main 3 CB''s I suspect anyway.

then Ward 4th choice, Martin 5th choice, Barnett 6th choice

Pretty amazing to think we have such strength and depth at centre back! Just looking at the shift Ward put in vs Swansea, to think he could be out 4th choice CB just shows how much we''ve moved forward since the days of The Doc and Shackell!

I really haven''t got a clue. What a nice problem to have, especially as this was considered a possible area of weakness before the season began 

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]I really haven''t got a clue. What a nice problem to have, especially as this was considered a possible area of weakness before the season began [/quote]

Quoting my own posts now.

F---ing damn no edit button.

I would like to add that I think that we all pre-judged those players against the likes of the M. Us, Chelseas etc rather than, more realistically against the more average Premiership side, when they have proven themselves to be more than decent. Each and every one.

This Premiership lark is really a piece of piss after all.   [:D]   

It''ll be one of Ayala/Whitbread alongside Bennett. I think that Whitbread might just pip Ayala because he is left footed and a more mature presence then Ayala. I then think Martin will be used as fourth choice back up as well as strong cover for Naughton, maybe even starting ahead of him, Ward fifth and Barnett sixth. That doesn''t mean Ward won''t feature as he seems to like Ward at the back and put Martin on the right if we have injuries. I do think at the end of the season Ward and more likely, Barnett will leave at the end of the season.

Norwich City dont pay £3,000,000 for a squad player so Bennett one, I would go for Withbread to partner with Ward and Ayala getting some decent game time covering the injurys.

I''v not seen Bennett play but if we have spent big money on him you would assume that PL sees him as being first choice. I still maintain that Ward is our best all round centre half so I would go with him and Bennett if they are compatible.

The only one speaking with any common sense here is Shack. Ward will prove to all the doubters that he is Lambert''s first choice centre half. Bennett is one who was brought for the future, how quickly he can step up to top flight action remains to be seen. Few of us have seen anywhere near enough of Bennett to judge him, but I was told by someone very close to club management that "Bennett is one for the future who could do a job now if called upon." From the players we know enough about already I''d go with Ward and whoever fits best alongside him. I would like to think Ayala can be that man but we will not be able to tell whether they can play alongside eachother unless they play a few games together.

Not two names, but the pecking order as I expect it (not necessarily how I would pick it, but how I think Lambert will)......Ayala, Whitbread, Bennet, Ward, Martin, Barnett.

Ayala alongside bennett I think - young talented and the future.  

With Naughton on the right (a summer must sign) that just leaves the left back to fill and for us to have a defence we can build the future upon.   With the remaining defenders we will have quality back up.

[quote user="Bovril"]Providing they''re no more injuries between now and the end of March, all of these players will be avaliable to pick. When all fit, which two will Lambert pick? No reasons or explanations just simply put two names so it''s clear to see who is preferred. Whitbread and Bennett[/quote]

[quote user="Felixfan"]Whithbread and Ayala have been immense and when both fully fit will take some shifting.[/quote]

Whitbread has been immense but Ayala hasn''t. Ayala has shown us what he can do on the ball but defensively he''s been shakey more often than not.

You''d expect Bennett to be near it because of the sum we''ve paid for him but he''s still got to earn his place.

Ward is very likely to be contention as well and it''ll be interesting to see what happens with both Martin and Barnett as they''re unlikely to be first choices in their positions.