Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Watching NCFC Online - best equipment? (Slightly OT)

As an exile with a demanding family(!!), I can only make a couple of home games and a few away games each season. (Luckily my last was Bolton at home - next Stoke away).Therefore I rely on the internet for the "live" games that aren''t on scheduled TV.No matter what streaming site I use, the quality is never that good, and I have to watch it on the PC. Does anyone use Apple TV, or similar digital media streamers connected to the main TV, and does that make this experience any better??

Careful NwC, you don''t want zema tendon coming on here accusing you of being a fair weather fan!

I use my laptop and connect it to my tv via an hdmi cable, it''s a little bit grainy but on the whole a good way to watch it

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Careful NwC, you don''t want zema tendon coming on here accusing you of being a fair weather fan! I use my laptop and connect it to my tv via an hdmi cable, it''s a little bit grainy but on the whole a good way to watch it[/quote]

ROTFL!

been reading his/her other posts......nott good to see that some parents allow thier children unsupervised access to the internet!

[quote user="NWC"]As an exile with a demanding family(!!), I can only make a couple of home games and a few away games each season. (Luckily my last was Bolton at home - next Stoke away).
Therefore I rely on the internet for the "live" games that aren''t on scheduled TV.
No matter what streaming site I use, the quality is never that good, and I have to watch it on the PC.
Does anyone use Apple TV, or similar digital media streamers connected to the main TV, and does that make this experience any better??

[/quote]

you can usually find a few sites showing City games if you do a Google/Yahoo search for live streams......just be prepared for pop-ups and audio adverts at random times during the match. Good luck.

Use Firefox and download the ads blocker add-on. No more pesky adverts - on any site.

Streams will nearly always be poor quality - and when put on a TV will be too grainy to be enjoyable. Just watch it on your computer (but make sure you don''t have final score/soccer Saturday on TV as there is nearly always a delay between the game and the stream.

Use a website like Wizwig which will put a collection of links to a game in one place and open 4 or 5 at once - select the one with the best picture and mute the others - if the stream goes down just jump to the next one.

I can get a stream ok on the pc, I just didn''t know if those media streamers make it all a little bit more refined - you know like proper telly!http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/media-streamers

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Careful NwC, you don''t want zema tendon coming on here accusing you of being a fair weather fan! [/quote]Ha ha, I was worried about that the other day when I nicked myself shaving - I''m sure there was some red in my yellow and green blood! Must be going soft!

I''ve been streaming for a long time (about 5 years or so) since it first became possible so I''d like to think I know what Im talking about.

I use Google chrome (by far the fastest browser) and I have downloaded several programmes. I had sopcast years ago, but it was crap - although I have heard it has improved recently, I dont think it''s neccessary.

Imo the best add-on by far is the Vshare plugin (google it) for quality of picture. There is a decent quality stream 90% of the time and i use hdmi to link it to my TV.

I personally wouldnt bother with any of the others.

I built a small (about 8" square, 3" thick) media PC that I use to watch all my TV and movies etc. on anyway, which is permanently plugged into my TV, so I could use that with either a browser (Flash) player, or Sopcast player if not at matches.Despite what previous posters have said, there are some really high quality (almost HD) streams that you can get for limited matches (typically whatever is on Sky) on Sopcast, and it works very well. Flash streams are nearly all poor to average quality, but I think some are watchable, even scaled up to HD.I would recommend just using your laptop, and Sopcast/any decent web browser with Flash 11 (Firefox/Chrome/Opera) through an HDMI to your TV. Should get both sound and video that way.

sopcast is certainly the most reliable.check wiziwig and go for the highest speed feed on sopcast.some r 720.

media streamers r not important for watching from the net .

your browser is far less imortant than your internet connection.if having problems then restart your router.use a wired connection over wireless if possible.

The last two posts have convinced me to give Sopcast another go, but i 100% agree that it is possible to get HD feeds on flash, if you know where to look! Hopefully get a chance to use Sopcast for tomorrow''s game as it should be streaming (I''ve looked around and all indications are that it will be) but il check out the quality on the Reading game tonight.

[quote user="TheJarrold"]

[quote user="NWC"]As an exile with a demanding family(!!), I can only make a couple of home games and a few away games each season. (Luckily my last was Bolton at home - next Stoke away).
Therefore I rely on the internet for the "live" games that aren''t on scheduled TV.
No matter what streaming site I use, the quality is never that good, and I have to watch it on the PC.
Does anyone use Apple TV, or similar digital media streamers connected to the main TV, and does that make this experience any better??

[/quote]

you can usually find a few sites showing City games if you do a Google/Yahoo search for live streams......just be prepared for pop-ups and audio adverts at random times during the match. Good luck.

[/quote]

If you use ''full screen'' mode that stops adverts etc.

[quote user="NWC"]As an exile with a demanding family(!!), I can only make a couple of home games and a few away games each season. (Luckily my last was Bolton at home - next Stoke away).Therefore I rely on the internet for the "live" games that aren''t on scheduled TV.No matter what streaming site I use, the quality is never that good, and I have to watch it on the PC. Does anyone use Apple TV, or similar digital media streamers connected to the main TV, and does that make this experience any better??

[/quote]

The first few lines is exactly my situation!

My laptop streams it fine with maybe 1 interruption per game for either loud adverts or disconnection, I stream it in my living room as close to my hub as I can to avoid lagging, I also have a handy cable which I plug between my laptop and tv to watch it on there. Not a bad setup and works well to be fair.

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheJarrold"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers Wiz.Will give that a try next time.Had a pop-up just as Holt was about to score his second last week.That was the final straw.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheJarrold"]

[quote user="NWC"]As an exile with a demanding family(!!), I can only make a couple of home games and a few away games each season. (Luckily my last was Bolton at home - next Stoke away).Therefore I rely on the internet for the "live" games that aren''t on scheduled TV.No matter what streaming site I use, the quality is never that good, and I have to watch it on the PC. Does anyone use Apple TV, or similar digital media streamers connected to the main TV, and does that make this experience any better??

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers Wiz.Will give that a try next time.Had a pop-up just as Holt was about to score his second last week.That was the final straw.

[/quote]The only problem then is if the stream is rubbish and/or your PC is not up to it, it looks like its Lego football!

Haha,fair point NWC.Pixelation could be a problem.I will have to stick my laptop as far away as possible and if it''s too poor,back to pop-ups[:S]

I might explore Sopcast if someone can explain it for a computer illiterate like myself.What do i have to download?Is it safe? etc.etc.

Agreed. I use to use Limewire for, err  well, basically stealing music, but my PC ended up with the digital equivalent of chlamydia!

[quote user="NWC"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="TheJarrold"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The only problem then is if the stream is rubbish and/or your PC is not up to it, it looks like its Lego football!
[/quote]

I tried this on the Reading game last night and it works ok.Not fantastic quality,but tolerable,and since it''s free i can''t complain.But as i said,move the laptop a good distance or you will get a headache.

Sopcast has a few advantages over the flash based streams as follows:No popups.Resizeable stand alone player.It buffers ie reads ahead so you don''t get that annoying stop start business.You can record the stream.You don''t get those nasty adfly pages trying to install malware.Download from sopcast.org.install.Click sopcast link from indexing sites such as freefootball.login as anonymous.