It''s been mentioned on these here fine web threads a few times this season, that a number of people would rather be a mid-table Premier League team than a Yo-Yo team, bouncing from league to league each season. One season of pure Joy, the next of sheer hell.

As we''re currently the strongest team in the league (by way of holding everyone else up), it''s easy to fall into the warm and cosy blanket of "missing the real football in the 1st Division" or "I''m looking forward to seeing real fans again", whereas if we were either mid-table or a few points from safety, it would be "This is where the real football is" and "The 1st Division is a crap league".

Football is, after all, a fickle game.

Would i rather have Premier League mid-table mediocracy, or live the crazy life of a Yo-Yo club? It''s a question that has had me veering one way and another trying to make a decision.

The Pro''s of Mid-Table mediocracy: Sky TV Revenue to build a "stronger" squad, weekly Premier league action, the "potential" to challenge for Europe once every so often etc.

The Con''s of MTM: It''s so bloody boring. A win here. A defeat there. Each month morph''s with the next. "Oh, we won, Oh, we drew..Yadda..yadda.."

Each Saturday is meaningless after a set period when safety is relatively secured.

Now, as a Yo-Yo afficianado, the con''s are simple: You get relegated. You lose members of your squad. That type of thing.

However, the Pro''s are what football supporting is all about. Every week is a nail-biter. We need this win to go 1st. We need a draw to get into the play-offs. We need to win to move out of the relegation zone. We need a draw to catch up with 2nd bottom. Every single week the game has some meaning. Fair enough, we may not have the best squad in the country, but for 1 year, we''ll have one of the best squads in the division. We may then get promoted, whereby you have one of the best days and nights of your life (i.e, Watford away last year), or we may get relegated (which may indeed happen this year).

The point of my arguement is, no matter what, every week when City play, it''s something to look forward to, and something that you know you''re going to love and worry in equal part. The only analogy i can think of is Mid-Table is like an old marriage: You don''t get too excited about things as you''re used to the good times and the bad times. You''re both solid, but you''ll never win best/worst marriage. Yo-Yo-ing is like having a sultry lover: There''s always passion. always excitement and it''s never boring. Fair enough, your lover may kick you in the bo*locks once in a while, but after a while, you learn how to toughen those parts up. She giveth and she taketh, and boy, it''s addictive.

I''m not going to ask what everyone would prefer, as i know that mid-table Premiership is the promised land for the Canaries. The point is, i feel we may Yo-Yo for a year or 2 to come, so let''s enjoy the affair before we settle down to early nights with the wife.

Onwards, downwards, and further upwards.

That is indeed a good question.  Financially of course it would be better to be a mid table club.  But imagine how boring it would get?  Just reaching the 40 point mark and then relaxing.  At least we have a goal, a target.  Whether that target is promotion or survival it''s still damn fun.  I''d like to think that if we are aiming to be a mid table Prem club though we would eventually aim for Europe (as Charlton are now)

Interesting post. but as DD said there is always the target of Europe if you are mid table. Also, as we are relatively successful in Europe, as a country, we have a lot of places to go for. That success needs to continue or the mid table teams will have nothing to play for.

Some people are just not happy whatever the situation. A few weeks ago people were saying Worthy is the best man for the job because what he has done for the club over the seasons,ie the past! In the past we were a mid table 1st division club & a mid table Prem club & i also remember the seasons where we were relegated & came straight back up. For me to be a mid table prem club would be just fine!