Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

What a difference Surman makes to the team

Whilst he seems to have been some people''s target for abuse, I think yesterday showed how we lack the passing and the movement without Surms in the team.

He may not be the most physical, but I don''t think we have seen a player that can pass the ball around and create opportunities since Chippy.

Oh, and why was Holty not even on the bench? One of Lambo''s very rare mistakes in my eyes.

I have to say that in the Swansea game I thought he played his role superbly. He does have the killer pass, can cross and is not afraid to shoot. He may miss a few things but in a 4-4-2 I think he shows his class in the central midfield role.

I think our best midfield is with Pilky, Fox, Surman, Bennett in a 4-4-2. Allowing width and a bit of freedom for our two young wide players. Yes we may miss that bite, but you can bring Bradley Johnson in for that alongside Surman. I just think that he can offer more to this season in that role.

Yes we don''t have that loud, combatative, box to box midfielder who is premiership class. We have a few that are close, but next season it is a position we will have to look at. Play surman in this position and have competition from Howson when he is fit and it could be a very different midfield to end the season to what started the season.

I think Surman may find himself back in the team sooner rather than later, although Swansea''s first goal was a good example of where our central midfield two had not played together for too long, allowing dyer to nip in between.

Surman has a role to play this season and has been in the box to score some important goals. As Lambert says you need goals from all over the park and certainly in midfield.