Sign in to follow this  
smooth

What is everyones thoughts of Yellows for me it is yuk

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on our ''new york'' diner.

I have lived in the states for three years and travelled across the US and for it even to call it self a NY Diner is totally wrong, the layout with fake bricks, the black walls and the side to the bar with its image of a lager. The drink selection is bland, even with blue moon wheat beer.

Then the menu - totally over priced a chilli hot dog £10, say to an American it is going to cost you $15 they would laugh, Philly Cheese steak at £12.50 and to top it Cincinatti Five ways chilli £15.50.

Hey I don''t mind paying money for great food, but the standard of the food for that price is totally wrong. If you want the US Cincinatti Chilli then Skyline is what you want, you can buy it from supoermarkets there and they again would never pay $20+ for a serving. To compare this to Skyline chilli is criminal.

Well think I may have proved my views are not on the fence regarding yellows, think that any of the other american diner restaurants in the city are better than the option at Carrow Road.

Just wondered what everyone else''s views are?

[quote user="smooth"]

I have lived in the states for three years and travelled across the US and for it even to call it self a NY Diner is totally wrong, the layout with fake bricks, the black walls and the side to the bar with its image of a lager. The drink selection is bland, even with blue moon wheat beer.

Then the menu - totally over priced a chilli hot dog £10, say to an American it is going to cost you $15 they would laugh, Philly Cheese steak at £12.50 and to top it Cincinatti Five ways chilli £15.50.

Hey I don''t mind paying money for great food, but the standard of the food for that price is totally wrong. If you want the US Cincinatti Chilli then Skyline is what you want, you can buy it from supoermarkets there and they again would never pay $20+ for a serving. To compare this to Skyline chilli is criminal.

Well think I may have proved my views are not on the fence regarding yellows, think that any of the other american diner restaurants in the city are better than the option at Carrow Road.

[/quote]Never had a bad burger and chips there personally, but it''s all down to personal taste. I too have traveled a lot in the states, and some of their food is sh*t.

Have to disagree with you - the burger dishes are simply delicious & I think reasonable at a tenner each. I have always thought the service was great too. It isn''t a proper American diner, its a little quieter and classier & I have eaten a LOT of food in the US. Most US diners do delicious grub, just with a bit more neon!

Still, each to their own :-)

food in the usa is  ridiculous no wonder they are so fat... everything is greasy and covered in swiss cheese.. when i was in ohio for my job  burgers started at 8 ounces and went on from there...  i will say though that the yanks do know how to do ribs [:D]

Burger chips and a beer for £10 before a match has become a bit of a ritual for me when I get across to Carra Rud. Sitting there watch the lunchtime kick off have some good food and a pint and a good chat about last weeks game and this weeks game is all part of the match day experience. It''s not the best burger in the world but then I''m sure many diners in the states don''t do great burgers either.

The beer does need some work well more the choice of cider. When there''s only Magners on offer you know you''re in trouble.

Davo

In other news, food in Beijing is nothing like the "Lucky Star" on Prince of Wales Road, and food in Bombay is nothing like the "Ali Tandoori".  It''s a f**king disgrace, quite frankly.

My boy is playing football in America at the moment and he says the Diners there are unbelievable and amazing value for money.I think it''s the same with most ''theme'' restaurants... they just don''t don''t cut it.... plus of course this is ''rip off Britain''.

i absolutely agree!!!!

went ther two weeks ago and its the worst place ive ever eaten in.so bad i let the manager know just how disapointed i was. they use frozen chips like u get in a pub, the burger was uncooked,the beer was completely flat and they advertise healthy meals for children which were far from it.

i will never go there again.

I think calling it a New York style diner is a bit odd, but I think the food in there is pretty good.  I work at NCFC and sometimes go there for my lunch and although it''s pricey I''ve always been impressed with the quality of food.  The chunky chips and burger are some of the best I''ve had tbh.

It''s all a matter of opinion and what you''re used to eating and drinking.I mean, supermarket value frozen burgers or fresh 100% beef burgers?  Long life lager or cask ales?

Soooooooo...

If I''m reading this right those people who have eaten there think it''s good whilst those who think it''s rubbish haven''t eaten there...

Lovely old job[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Soooooooo...

If I''m reading this right those people who have eaten there think it''s good whilst those who think it''s rubbish haven''t eaten there...

Lovely old job[Y]

Lol! Well said Nutty! If people don''t like it, don''t go there. For me, its nicer than Mambos and much better than the awful Zacs and their frozen offerings

[/quote]

I have eaten there many times and never been dissapointed. I also think the staff are great - better than u find in many other restaurant imo. If I was to choose between somewhere like Zaks and Yellows I would pick yellows every time - the  standard is so much better for same price

The post regarding how the our indians, italian etc are not up to scratch with dishes in those countries is a fair point.

I think I find it hard to justify the cost of chilli hot dog at £10 and the chilli at £15.50 even a philly cheese steak at £12.50

The food is ok and hence over-priced in my eyes. I would never say the food is anymore than ok. Probably is why ever since it opened I have sporadically gone with no expectations and would rather captain a''s.

I think there is much we could learn from America''s food chains. Panera Bread, The corner bakery''s in Chicago. No question when I was working in the states the best food I have ever had across the nation. And as cluck mentioned pricing was spot on, great value, quality for a great price.

Bu then this is why I have asked, I have a strong opinion on it and just interested on the consesus, pre-match think I would stick with coach and horses, hotel nelson for all you can eat breakfast. Interesting to get people''s thoughts though.

I like it-give me Yellows over any equivalent place in Norwich.

The food is perfectly acceptable-you''re not going there for a fine dining experience after all-the service is good and friendly without being intrusive, and its spacious enough to have some room to chat without other people and their chairs backing into you all the time.

If you want expensive, try the bar menu in the Holiday Inn!

The club has three tiers of eating-Gunn Club is cheap and cheerful, Yellows is in the middle, Delia''s if you want to have a treat.

But of course, its down to personal opinion in the end. And we''ll all have one!

I was in there just yesterday, very tasty imo as was the manageress! My Jack Daniels was excellent and the blue cheese burger was to die for.

The service, as usual, was damn good too.

[quote user="smooth"]

[/quote]

You''re not in Kansas anymore!

Seriously though, as someone who has been fortunate enough to spend a fair bit of time in the US over the past couple of years I can see where you are coming from with the price over here compared to the price over there, but it''s not just food that''s chepaer over there. Whilst in Florida on October (missed the Swansea game) it cost me a whopping $29 to fill up with gas, which works out to about £19, so you can''t really compare UK & US prices.

I don''t think the prices inYellows are too bad for the UK personally, plus you don''t have to leave a 18-20% tip!

Anyone who''s ever been to USA will know that it''s not just burger bars that are cheaper. My over riding memory of my two visits to Vegas was the food and the price paid. For example the carvery''s are cheap and plentiful. Prime rib or turkey and they keep carving until YOU say stop. No wonder there are a lot of lard arses out there[;)] But of course you do have to count in a decent tip which is compulsory. However a lot of us tip in these places in this country.

I''ve never eaten at Yellows so am interested. I''ve eaten at Captain America''s ever since it opened in the early seventies. It''s beauty is it''s simplicity. Nothing has changed in those 40 years and all the menu''s from that whole period are on the wall!! But surely Captain A''s chips are frozen too?

I''ve had meals in Thailand, two of us have eaten some really tasty food for about £3, but I don''t complain about the price of Thai food here, you just have to accept that prices are different.

On the subject of Zaks, anyone remember the burger van they used to have on the old cattle market with all the silver foil jammed into the tarmac ?

[quote user="Mister Chops"]In other news, food in Beijing is nothing like the "Lucky Star" on Prince of Wales Road, and food in Bombay is nothing like the "Ali Tandoori".  It''s a f**king disgrace, quite frankly.
[/quote]

And bars in Ireland are nothing like Delaney''s - thank god. I don''t think anybody - punters or staff alike - could define the phrase "the craic" in that tedious theme bar.

[quote user="pete_norw"]Whats with the american connection then?[/quote]It''s run by cowboys......

Good quality food at very reasonable prices. Like many others on here I have never had a bad meal there. It is well ahead on quality and value compared to other "American style" restaurants in the city.

[quote user="mastoola"]

i absolutely agree!!!!

went ther two weeks ago and its the worst place ive ever eaten in.so bad i let the manager know just how disapointed i was. they use frozen chips like u get in a pub, the burger was uncooked,the beer was completely flat and they advertise healthy meals for children which were far from it.

i will never go there again.

[/quote]

Uncooked or under-cooked? There''s a difference!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Anyone who''s ever been to USA will know that it''s not just burger bars that are cheaper. My over riding memory of my two visits to Vegas was the food and the price paid. For example the carvery''s are cheap and plentiful. Prime rib or turkey and they keep carving until YOU say stop. No wonder there are a lot of lard arses out there[;)] But of course you do have to count in a decent tip which is compulsory. However a lot of us tip in these places in this country.

I''ve never eaten at Yellows so am interested. I''ve eaten at Captain America''s ever since it opened in the early seventies. It''s beauty is it''s simplicity. Nothing has changed in those 40 years and all the menu''s from that whole period are on the wall!! But surely Captain A''s chips are frozen too?

[/quote]

What happens if you choose not to tip then? Do you get shot?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

What happens if you choose not to tip then? Do you get shot?

[/quote]

I''ve never tested it buddy. It''s compulsory to pay taxes but nobody''s been shot at Ibrox as far as I know[;)]

I have seen someone "forget" to tip and the waiters remonstrating with them. But I guess you can front it out...