Sign in to follow this  
YellowBlood

Barnett

What a liability. Lost count of the number of goals his mistakes have resulted in this season. Today, I''m sure it was him who was marking St. Ledger for the first goal. I could be wrong so forgive me on this. But as for the second, Nugent has just ran past him like he''s not even there, didn''t look like he wanted to put a challenge in and Beckford gave him the run around all afternoon. We need Whitbread and Ayala fit asap.

if we start with this payr in deffence agains man u need miracle to survive....

too many mistakes but ofc overall display was so poor and defnders have too much job to do today...

What was my posts about in this early part of the season and you all gave me a hard time because i said he wasnt good enough. Not trying to do a told you so but Barnett is a terrible defender and always has been.

Why did Lambert buy Ryan Bennett in January? Who knows?

The only other option was to play ward and martin in the center today but we would have had to risk 2 RB''s Martin & Naughton and if they both get injured, Nani has an easy time next week.

Without doubt our weakest CB and that includes Russell Martin!

Leicesters 2nd goal was just to easy!

We looked weak defending corners all the match which I think was alot to do with Steer looking dodgy and not commanding!

Barnett is always made a scapegoat.  He nearly scored from two corners and will always wins a ball in the air.   He was one of the players who seemed to be trying the hardest to compete.  There were other in the team I would castigate first.   If lack of effort is one of the reasons we lost today - you can''t blame Barnett.  

Well, Barnett did fine when he came in against Swansea.

I don''t think you can single out players from todays rubbish. The whole team were without a clue and for that, it goes back to the management. There appeared to be no mental or tactical preparation. a bit like when I used to turn up and play football on a Sunday morning. This is of course a deliberate policy as it is all about the league.

just watch it again on al jazeera tv and must say that Barnett was really shocking today !

so many wrong decisions and mistakes simply terrible.

Must say Vaughan have plenty of entusiasm and fight hard also Wilbra look impresive with his link play pity Hoolahan was so selfish and not give them good balls at all.

Did any one see somthing close between Rob Green and Jed Steer!?

Jed look like on many aspects very close to Greeno imo.

Still think Ruddy can save first goal...

The majority of City fans said that Barnett was our best centre half late last season and early this season.

Those with a knowledge about defending said that this was nonsense during the summer and that Ward was our best centre half. Cue much knocking from those on here who know very little about such things.

Seems like there are some mixed opinions on Barnett, personally last season I really liked him last season, this season he has made me nervous every single time he has been near the ball, he seems to win a lot of headers but always finds the other team and puts us under more pressure, bad back passes, looks like he''s going to foul the attacker every time the ball is played in the air to them. As for the second goal it was quite embarrassing for him tbh.

Looking forward for Bennett to return and Ayala and Whitbread.

If you should take the time to review the first goal you will find that Barnett was nowhere near St Ledger for the first goal.

He is a decent defender who has not let us down on the whole. His one proper shocker came against Villa. His main strength is definitely his aerial prowess, I can count on one hand the number of headers he has missed all season.

He is very much a worthy member of our squad and is not due the drivel that you have written here about him.

Barney is a blocker, that''s his issue. Much like the Doc was in his time here, if you put him up against a bigger, more aerially-orientated forward he probably won''t be beaten. Kick it, head it. That''s his game.Problems arise when you challenge players like that to take on cleverer players on the ground. The better the opponent the less effective he''ll be, hence why he was a star last year and is found wanting this year. Lack of match time probably doesn''t help his cause.It''s a shame ''cause I like him, but Ayala and Whitbread would still be my starting pair when fit any day of the week.

Must say, I thought our CBs were equally as crud today. I mean Nugent''s goal, some might say Ward had to go with his man, but all it did was leave a massive gap for someone with a bit of pace to run into. Maybe it wasn''t the CBs fault and it shouldn''t have been a 2 on 2 situation in the first place. One thing was definitely clear though - Neither of them impressed in the passing division today, poor passing using the long ball far too often.

Don''t want to be too over dramatic, but maybe after Whitbread, Ayala and Bennett we should be looking for a different 4th choice defender. But then again your 4th choice can''t be too good to sit on the bench so maybe we just get rid of one, right now, i''m not that bothered which.

Think Barnett has been a bit unlucky with some of the criticism he has taken. He actually defended quite well today and won the ball a lot for us.

Unfortunately on their second goal Russell Martin''s positioning is awful. He should be tucked round but he''s gone 20 or 30 yards ahead of the defence. Nugent then picks the ball up and he''s then able to run at Barnett and go either inside or outside him. Having Martin back would have made it far harder for Nugent to hurt us from that position.

Unfortunately Ward follows his man across the box  behind Barnett which leaves more space for Nugent to run into.

Perhaps Barnett could have clattered Nugent outside the box but he''s far from being the only one to blame for that goal. Though I expect he will be held to blame for it entirely by some who can''t see the bigger picture.

The performance was very poor all round today but by far the most alarming element of it was the form of both central defenders. If that is what is currently being replicated in training then it is understandable why Lambert has just shelled out £3 million on Ryan Bennett.

You mean Zak Whitbread, the guy who we signed when we were in Div 1 and a large number of messageboard posters claimed wasn''t good enough for us then? Is he the same player you are talking about?

Isn''t it strange how opinions change?

Are you gonna troll every thread tonight?

I''ve always thought Zak was a good defender, but even if some people didn''t, can''t an opinion change or if you have an opinion, is there a rule that says you must keep this opinion even if you don''t believe it yourself anymore?

I''ve seen the goals again and I was wrong on the first goal so I apologise. As for the second, maybe I was a bit harsh but it''s one of the easiest runs to goal Nugent will ever have. Barnett''s attempt to make the challenge was pathetic, he even tried to foul him and failed when Nugent went past. But yes I agree that Ward should have covered the space in front of goal instead of marking his man as I''m sure he would have cleared it once Nugent got in front of him. As for Russell Martin, I have no idea why he''s 10 yards out in front of the other three defenders. It gets even worse every time you look at it. Shocking defending.

Why do you lot persist on knocking players all the time. Remember we are top half of the prem, every single player/staff deserve so much praise yet certain fans spend there whole time criticizing. It never really helps, not that the players are reading this but no doubt some senseless fool will be shouting all this at the game whenever we lose the ball.

To say you never want to see Barnett in a Norwich shirt again is just ridiculous, no nothing about football and just spend your life gathering your football opinions off football forums.

The Hoolahan criticism and the Ruddy and Jackson criticism last year are prime examples. I even remember when Vaughan got injured at Sunderland people were knocking him.

Constructive criticism is fair enough, but don''t be such a fickle bunch. No doubt if we lost a few on the bounce it would be time for Lamberts head aswell.

I personally continue to think that central defense is an area of strength, with not much too choose between them all (Martin included.) Zak edges it for me with Barnett the lowest ranked. I like Barnett and he always gives his all with a decent nose for a scoring chance up front and clear disappointment when he misses, as he mostly does.

Our best pairing at the moment is, IMO, Whitbread and Ayala.

We are extremely unfortunate to have lost both at the same time and the chickens came home to roost yesterday in a small way. Letting in two goals in front of a rookie keeper, who shouldn''t have been exposed to this game in the first place, was no disaster and I wouldn''t need to make Barnett the scapegoat for yesterday''s disaster. A few others didn''t turn up, at least Barnett did.

Clearly, IMO, Barnett is best suited a league lower and I would expect him to move on in the Summer (with my gratitude for his admirable contribution to the cause,) his replacement having been signed.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]The majority of City fans said that Barnett was our best centre half late last season and early this season. Those with a knowledge about defending said that this was nonsense during the summer and that Ward was our best centre half. Cue much knocking from those on here who know very little about such things.[/quote]

those with knowledge about defending ? i take it you''re referring to yourself mr baresi or may we call you franco ? [:D]

im not barnet biggest fan his hasa mistkae in him. i prefer to see RM at centre back as he look not so good at right back this year due to lack of pace but good at centre as he is an inteleigent footballer and a good reader of the game. Shame we could not of used Bennet from peterbough yet, interesting to see how good he wil be and if he looks good i think it will bye bye Barnet 

[quote user="YellowLittle1"]To say you never want to see Barnett in a Norwich shirt again is just ridiculous, no nothing about football and just spend your life gathering your football opinions off football forums. [/quote] I''v been to every home game for the last 5 seasons (inc cup) and know plently about football and i don''t want to see Barnett in a Norwich shirt again.

[quote user="Time For Heroes"][quote user="YellowLittle1"]To say you never want to see Barnett in a Norwich shirt again is just ridiculous, no nothing about football and just spend your life gathering your football opinions off football forums. [/quote] I''v been to every home game for the last 5 seasons (inc cup) and know plently about football and i don''t want to see Barnett in a Norwich shirt again.
[/quote]

I''m not saying Leon Barnett would be my first choice at the moment but saying you don''t want to see him in a Norwich shirt again is ridiculous.

The good stuff he has done for us vastly outweighs the bad. You make it sound like he''s awful and a total liability when you say that you don''t want to see him in a Norwich shirt again.

But you can sort of see that Leon Barnett is going to be a bit of a target for the boo boys, who will be happier to pounce on a mistake than praise some good work.

He made an absolutely awesome block yesterday from a very powerfully struck shot yet there was barely a ripple of appreciation from the crowd (because too many people don''t know what''s what, no matter how many years they''ve been going to the football).

Barnett was decent yesterday I thought. He wins everything in the air. He does need to work on his distribution and decision making though.

[quote user="im spartacus"]

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]The majority of City fans said that Barnett was our best centre half late last season and early this season. Those with a knowledge about defending said that this was nonsense during the summer and that Ward was our best centre half. Cue much knocking from those on here who know very little about such things.[/quote]

those with knowledge about defending ? i take it you''re referring to yourself mr baresi or may we call you franco ? [:D]

[/quote]Mr Marcel Desailly (Barthez) if you don''t mind.  Who is this Baresi you refer to?  I''m a World Cup winner don''t you know?