Sign in to follow this  
Manchester Canary

Martin strikes again

Just seen on SSN he bagged a double today, am I right in thinking he''s doing alright for palace? Anyone got any real insight into how he''s doing, would love to see him back here, good call sending him out on loan!

We''ll keep him, ta ;)

Have a look here to get some opinions: http://www.cpfc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231059

When he first joined he was clearly unfit and not used to the way we play, which led to some criticism from some, but I always thought he was quite an intelligent player and a good finisher. He''s been getting better and better really. I''d like to see him join permanently.

Not sure about great Lennon7. He has scored 5 in 14 (including 4 sub appearances), crsytal palace fans have rated him at 5.8 out of 10 on their fans'' website. I hope he does well as he is a local lad and has got talent, but as always its up to him and his attitude. Unfortunately i think he has burnt his bridges with Paul Lambert

If we are going to persist in playing the diamond then with the right kind of coaching he could have more to offer than Wes/Howson, as could Pilks and Surman in my opinion.

In the scheme of things, Chris Martin is trying to rebuild his career.   He probably ought to stay with a championship team where he can build his game.     I don''t think he has a role at Norwich any more, which is a shame as he is a local lad, but it could be better that he is away from the ''local'' scene with all the good and the bad things that surround that.  He will grow more in stature away from Norwich imo and good luck to him. 

We don''t need another player (back) with those so-called ''attitude problems.''

Difficult individuals are not Lambo''s style.

After today, we have enough on our hands with bloody Morison after all.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Do not fear, we have Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan![/quote]

At least Wes was trying his socks off today. OK he got a few things wrong but the commentator on my stream was continually waxing lyrical about him and was right in saying that all our best moves stemmed from Wesley Hoolihan. Great little asset who doesn''t come off all the time. Which is always the case with that type of player. Skill is skill, however, a valuable asset in any team. 

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Do not fear, we have Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan![/quote]What''s with the constant sarcastic remarks about Wes? Even in this thread which is nothing to do with him? Yes he shouldn''t have been given MOTM but it wasn''t his fault the sponsors chose him.

[quote user="Downloads"]CDMullins has created 400 accounts just to talk about Hoolahan... Wouldn''t put it past him![/quote]

Well, he''s managed to divert this thread away from Chris Martin at least.

Wes was OK today IMO, incidentally.

Back to CM. He''s had his chance here. Cash in if Palace want him that much.

Where are we in the league again?

Unless your are suggesting we played most games with 10 men this season and ended up in 8th?

You sir are quickly turning into the board''s fool.

Wide open in the middle of the park all season due to making room in our team for a below par Wes. Who''s the fool? No wonder Trappatoni won''t touch him with a barge pole when he ccreates absolutely nothing against a mid table championship side.

Still I''m sure it doesn''t fit your agenda, so maybe the thread unfairly criticising Morison is for you?

You mean the same way that Surman, Jackson and Ward''s time was numbered at Carrow Road and how we should have sold them during last summer as they clearly weren''t up to Premier League football?

Do you always allow other lemmings to do your thinking for you?

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Wide open in the middle of the park all season due to making room in our team for a below par Wes. Who''s the fool? No wonder Trappatoni won''t touch him with a barge pole when he ccreates absolutely nothing against a mid table championship side. Still I''m sure it doesn''t fit your agenda, so maybe the thread unfairly criticising Morison is for you?[/quote]

Difference between me and you is I can be critical of many players today, including Wes, you seem to think Morrison was better than Wes today which goes against virtually everyone else''s opinion, am sure you know best though - Not.

["The Gruffalo"]You mean the same way that Surman, Jackson and Ward''s time was numbered at Carrow Road and how we should have sold them during last summer as they clearly weren''t up to Premier League football?

I''m well known amongst acquintances for being very indivdual and having my own mind!

If we were still in the Championship then Chris Martin would likely have something to offer but where we are now we have to move away from a player whos had half a good season 4+ years ago, a very good League 1 season two years ago, a good squad players role last season mixed in with poor seasons, atitude problems, off field problems with time moving him well away from "top young prospect"!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

["The Gruffalo"]You mean the same way that Surman, Jackson and Ward''s time was numbered at Carrow Road and how we should have sold them during last summer as they clearly weren''t up to Premier League football?

I''m well known amongst acquintances for being very indivdual and having my own mind!

If we were still in the Championship then Chris Martin would likely have something to offer but where we are now we have to move away from a player whos had half a good season 4+ years ago, a very good League 1 season two years ago, a good squad players role last season mixed in with poor seasons, atitude problems, off field problems with time moving him well away from "top young prospect"!

[/quote]

What a load of rubbish.....but no surprise when many get onto the subject of c.martin.

I''ve had the argument too many times to do the whole thing again but hes been fantastic for us. looked like he was learning while going up the leagues last year, as with the rest of the squad that came up from league 1. Unfortunately injury got in the way of a very promising first half of the season and by the time he was fit again Jackson was undroppable.

This season he started 3 games, against stoke, Chelsea and west brom. All 3 we were still finding our feet in the prem and it wasn''t until we went one up front that we got our first win and things moved on from there. Obviously martin isnt a big target man and his chances were going to be limited (it wasn''t until November we started with 4-4-2 again and December until it was started to be used regularly.

As for off the pitch, who knows? And i dont particularly care as its not my business (do you know any of his ''attitude problems'' and ''off field problems'' as fact?) but I''m glad he''s showing his class in the championship that I saw in him the last few years and could still show for us in the future.

Chris Martin is an intelligent footballer and I think he will find his career on the up as he finds himself playing in a more attacking midfield-type role.

I''ve said this before (I''ve also said he isn''t half the player that the one I''m comparing him to) but he does remind me of Teddy Sheringham in the role he can play and type of player he can be.

He''s fitted in well at Palace and is now doing well. He did the same at Luton, albeit a while ago now. He''s had to go through a pre-season with us and a few games under Lambert and Culverhouse, learning their way, training and being coached their way and how they want to play-then he''s upped and gone to Palace-different manager, coaching, team mates, expectations, style of play-and, again, he''s fitted in.

I don''t want to see him pushed out of the door in the Summer, likewise I don''t want him coming back here as a "squad player" -he should gave it within him to come back and be part of that ''elite''16 or so first team squad that play most matches/play a part from the bench and really make a go of it. He has the game, it would seem he has more self belief, but does he want to do somethiung that is difficult-that is, achieve it here, with odds stacked against him, or does he want to do it somewhere else?

Of course, the decision may already have been made for him, but, if it is still his choice to make, I would hope he still wants a bit of the former-but time will tell.

["Persnickety²"][quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

[/quote]

What a load of rubbish.....but no surprise when many get onto the subject of c.martin.

I''ve had the argument too many times to do the whole thing again but hes been fantastic for us. looked like he was learning while going up the leagues last year, as with the rest of the squad that came up from league 1. Unfortunately injury got in the way of a very promising first half of the season and by the time he was fit again Jackson was undroppable.

This season he started 3 games, against stoke, Chelsea and west brom. All 3 we were still finding our feet in the prem and it wasn''t until we went one up front that we got our first win and things moved on from there. Obviously martin isnt a big target man and his chances were going to be limited (it wasn''t until November we started with 4-4-2 again and December until it was started to be used regularly.

As for off the pitch, who knows? And i dont particularly care as its not my business (do you know any of his ''attitude problems'' and ''off field problems'' as fact?) but I''m glad he''s showing his class in the championship that I saw in him the last few years and could still show for us in the future.

Said all this before but passing the ball sideways and backwards in the middle of the park while not putting the oppositions defence under any pressure at all does not constitute playing well and this was what Chris Martins cameo appearances for us this season amounted to. In fact the West Brom home game was chucked away by playing the wrong team which included Chris Martin!

I''d love for any of our players to be successful for our team but Chris Martins had his time with now and the move for everyone including the player himself would be for him to move permamantly to C Palace where he looks as if he could progress. The local lad factor is the reason why many people cling onto to hoping Chris Martin fully establishes himself with us but hes been around the 1st team scene since 2007 which is now 5 years a long time in a footballers career!

I was right about Ian Henderson, Joe Lewis and the Jarvis bros in recent years, none of whom were done anywhere near as much for us as what Chris Martin did so we''ll see! 

As for Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan, what do the majority of our fans cling to there when he has underperformed all season?

There really isn''t an enormous amount of difference in how Chris Martin played in 3 games for us plus 14 games for Palace than how Wes has performed in 25+ for us this season. Just favouritism for some and OTT criticism for others as far as I can see.

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]As for Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan, what do the majority of our fans cling to there when he has underperformed all season? There really isn''t an enormous amount of difference in how Chris Martin played in 3 games for us plus 14 games for Palace than how Wes has performed in 25+ for us this season. Just favouritism for some and OTT criticism for others as far as I can see.[/quote]

Would we be 8th in the Premier League if Chris Martin had been playing instead of Wes all season? I can''t see it and neither can Lambert by the looks of it.

Did Wes try hard yesterday? Yes. Did he make a mess of most things he did? Yes.

Wes has been woeful all season. Name his good moments this season GJP. You can count them on one hand. I would be surprised if you could fit the number of poor games that Wes has had this season on two hands, unless of course you are one of those mythical Norfolk characters with extra digits we hear so much about.

Wes has underperformed and if we want to play the diamond then I think that Pilkington, Surman and possibly Elliott Bennett and Chris Martin could have been tried at the tip of the diamond on occasion. Maybe that would have given Wes the kick up the backside which seems to be required for him to raise his game? It would also have given Wes a helping hand in there when he is feeling tired, getting outmuscled or over-run.

Let''s hope that Howson can step up and give him/us the helping hand we need there when fit.

Hoolahans been poor at times and is a matchwinner in others, thats what you get from the man which is why he doesn''t play as regularly as some would like to see him play!

To put Chris Martin in the same level as Hoolahan is miles of the mark. Would we be 8th in the Premiership if we had Chris Martin here instead of Hoolahan and he played in all the games Hoolahan has?

Probably not!

Chris Martin was given a few games in the Premiership to the detriment of the team I think especially especially against West Brom and while he knocked the ball about OK he had no impact on the games at all!

You can''t say that about Hoolahan!

[quote user="The Gruffalo"]Wes has been woeful all season.[/quote]

No, that''s your opinion.

I think the opposite.

Still can''t decide whether you are CDMullins or Smudger.

I''m still waiting for one of you Vice Captain Marvel Hoolahan fans to put some meat on the bones and start listing the numerous chances/goals he has created this season.

My opinion is that I would rather see the likes of Pilks, Surman, Elliott Bennett and even Chris Martin given a run out at the tip of the diamond. Further more I''m convinced that at least one or two of them players can be as good or better than both Hoolahan and Howson in that position.