Sign in to follow this  
L4cole

Leon McKenzie jailed for six months.

Injury plagued, early retirement, the switch from football to "what next???"...

...if you are of sound mind the money should help the transition but if, like Leon it seems, suffer from depression then it could be difficult.

I feel sorry for the chap. The 6 months (or 3) could be hard for someone like him.

I saw him interviewed in LNKO-east and thought he came across well and seemed a nice chap...I also thought this could be a great little PR ploy to tap into the "depression/Gary Speed stuff" currently getting airtime to possibly help his case. I am the Cynic of South London though.

Take care Leon.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Injury plagued, early retirement, the switch from football to "what next???"... ...if you are of sound mind the money should help the transition but if, like Leon it seems, suffer from depression then it could be difficult. [/quote]

I wonder how many other ex-players have been affected in the same way. I read the Robert Enke book last month and it was striking just how much he needed routine and structure to keep his demons at bay. When things were really bad (and he only suffered two bouts of clinical depression) his wife or agent would have to physically drag him out of bed in the morning and force him into a routine to stop the self doubt and anxiety from entering his head. It''s a heartbreaking book and a case that shows that all the money in the world can''t protect you from such things. Good luck to Leon and hope he keeps well.

I know depression can hit any one, whether your a gardner or a multi million footballer, but surely bringing a family up on a low income, not knowing how long you will have a job for and wondering how to pay the rent or put food on the table, to driving around in a sports car, earning thousands of pounds a week or days, wearing designer clothes knowing that two months wages will set you up for life!!  i know which life i would choose!!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]You should pick the one where you don''t have depression![/quote]

I have im a multi millionaire footballer, i enjoy regular nights in London in China Whites, have a page 3 girl as my bit, have enough money to throw away without even knowing!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]

I know depression can hit any one, whether your a gardner or a multi million footballer, but surely bringing a family up on a low income, not knowing how long you will have a job for and wondering how to pay the rent or put food on the table, to driving around in a sports car, earning thousands of pounds a week or days, wearing designer clothes knowing that two months wages will set you up for life!!  i know which life i would choose!!

[/quote]Depression is an illness, not something you choose to have. Money has nothing to do with it.

[quote user="whoareyou"]

Depression is an illness, not something you choose to have. Money has nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="spencer 1970"]Injury plagued, early retirement, the switch from football to "what next???"... ...if you are of sound mind the money should help the transition but if, like Leon it seems, suffer from depression then it could be difficult. [/quote]

I wonder how many other ex-players have been affected in the same way. I read the Robert Enke book last month and it was striking just how much he needed routine and structure to keep his demons at bay. When things were really bad (and he only suffered two bouts of clinical depression) his wife or agent would have to physically drag him out of bed in the morning and force him into a routine to stop the self doubt and anxiety from entering his head. It''s a heartbreaking book and a case that shows that all the money in the world can''t protect you from such things. Good luck to Leon and hope he keeps well.

[/quote]

I haven''t read the Enke book, but I suspect that point about a routine is crucial, and when that sporting routine goes it is all too easy to fall prey to depression. This has been known for decades in cricket, where there is a definite link between retiring from a game that has been someone''s whole life (more so than with football) and suicide.

i wonder just how much his depression contributed to his actions. the false letters were over a period of 22 months which seem to indicate that more than one driving offence was involved.

Pre Prepared Statement from Leon Mckenzie

I prepared this statement to be able to share with you all how I am feeling and most of all to explain what happened.

A few years ago, I was not in a good place and couldn''t always make sense of what was going on. Some things being personal and some being work related. Unfortunately at that time I fell deep into depression, which led me to try and take my life.

Around that period I wasn’t thinking straight, and got caught up with the wrong people around me. My behaviour towards certain things like these speeding offences were totally unacceptable and very naive of me to allow a third party to take my points for me. I allowed someone to take my points innocently, not knowing the seriousness of what was actually happening.

My mindset at the time was confused and not like it is now. Allowing someone to take my points from me, was very stupid of me and I only wish I was in a better place back then and that I could turn back the clock.

These offences happened two years ago. I was arrested over a year ago and had been told by the police at the time of the arrest if I answered all questions, told the truth and gave them everything they needed I would be cautioned and not charged. I did all that was asked off me, and as result I was given a caution.

It was only when I was arrested when I really understood just how serious this was. I was cautioned and given a chance to start to get my life back again. Which I did and learn''t from my mistakes.

Five months after receiving the caution, I was told that the police officers that were in charge at the time had made a mistake and that I would now be facing charges. The officer in charge reversed his decision and got the caution removed. Two years on, I am left with being charged for these offences.

I broke the law six times in that two year period which I am now very aware of . I am truly sorry for these offences that I committed. I must stress to you all, I was not representing the real me back then and realise how stupid I have been. As most of you, especially the people who really know me are aware, I have been in a better place recently and I have really turned my life around.

It took a lot to speak out publicly about trying to end my life and now turning it around with helping others with issues of depression and starting a new career in music. I feel like I have given back in a lot of ways and will continue to do so as soon as I possibly can.

Anyone reading this, I hope you take note and learn by my mistakes, especially if you are in a bad place with depression,

I ask anyone with depression to speak out to someone before you start making any mistakes like I did.

I am not the Leon that I was a few years ago. I didn’t set an example and I am truly sorry for that. I believe now, I am Leon, not the Leon I was during that two year period, my only comment is that I wasn’t well at that particular time and was not thinking in a way that i am now. I allowed a third party to take points without realising the extent and impact it would cause to mine and my families lives today.

I am now leaving my wife and my beautiful four children along with some fantastic friends and family. God willing they will be okay.

Anyone that knows me, knows my heart and more importantly knows the change in me from where I was compared to where I am now. I am a fighter and looks like now I don’t have a choice but to battle on which I will do.

I would like to say a massive thanks to my family and friends for the support they have given me, especially while this has been going on for so long.

Leon

A recent edition of Late Kick Off featured quite a mature report on depression. Darren Eadie spoke quite a bit about how he had struggled at the end of his career - quite brave of him to do so, I thought. Leon also featured, as did Zema Abbey.  If I remember correctly, Zema has been working to help fellow pros get help, which deserves recognition. People can suffer for a lifetime if they don''t seek help.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="whoareyou"]

Depression is an illness, not something you choose to have. Money has nothing to do with it.
[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.

[/quote]

At the end of a career no matter what it was if fairly depressing on its own I went through a stage of depression when I left the Army, After 12 years of serving the Queen you would think you could get a job anywhere, don''t you believe it, I was at the point of no return and know exactlly how it feels.

And find the Magistrate who sent Leon to Prison  is a non careing heartless git, Depression effects the mind in different ways and sometimes you know what is happening but you can''t stop it, I hope Leon''s solicitor fights for an appeal. Never mind the fact what Leon was and the wealth he''s had He''s Human and needed help

Just look around at what we have all whitnessed in the past couple of months, he almost took his life as I tried to as well, I  know what he''s going through right now, I ended up on a secure ward in Bromsgrove hospital my first wife walked out on me. I think I have said to much already It''s just that some people fail to understand or even choose not to understand .      

I genuinely don''t know where I sit with this depression reason.  Believe me I do know what proper depression is,  but I''m not sure whether this was the cause of his elaborate scam attempt.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

[quote user="whoareyou"]

Depression is an illness, not something you choose to have. Money has nothing to do with it.[/quote]

Absolutely spot on.

[/quote]You also have to remember the higher you are, the further you fall. Depression can hit anyone.If anyone gets the chance to read England cricketer Marcus Trescothicks book then do, it is a real eye-opener. There was someone who came across as very level-headed, and at the top of his game; No one could have guessed what was happening behind the scenes,

Depression is very difficult to understand if you have never had it.Equally it''s possible to be suffering from depression without really knowing it, simply because the illness can stop you from thinking in a straight and normal way.

pete_norwich wrote:  "At the end of a career no matter what it was if fairly depressing on its own I went through a stage of depression when I left the Army, After 12 years of serving the Queen you would think you could get a job anywhere, don''t you believe it, I was at the point of no return and know exactlly how it feels.

And find the Magistrate who sent Leon to Prison  is a non careing heartless git, Depression effects the mind in different ways and sometimes you know what is happening but you can''t stop it, I hope Leon''s solicitor fights for an appeal. Never mind the fact what Leon was and the wealth he''s had He''s Human and needed help

Just look around at what we have all whitnessed in the past couple of months, he almost took his life as I tried to as well, I  know what he''s going through right now, I ended up on a secure ward in Bromsgrove hospital my first wife walked out on me. I think I have said to much already It''s just that some people fail to understand or even choose not to understand ."  

On the surface it appears that the resultant prison sentence os Leon''s misdeameanour is a bit harsh, given the circumstances.  "Mitigating circumstances" don''t seem to have come into it.    depression is an illness, leading to all sorts of out of character behaviour.   For this not to be recognised and a custodial sentence given, is tantamount to stupidity.    If Leon is  recovering from depression, this could set him back and cause more problems for "the state" later on.      Actually, I suspect Leon has moved on and understands why he was depressed and will be able to handle the prison situation.    Some of the people I know who have had depression have emerged stronger people - and I hope this applies to Leon.  However, for some it would likely put them back into a depressed state with all the ongoing problems that would mean.   Good luck to Leon, another life challenge, but one that could be an education and character building, all being well.

I wonder how many people with depression who have been sentenced to prison after committing a crime - but who didn''t play for Norwich City FC once upon a time - would get this same level of support and understanding...Actually, I don''t wonder at all.

The thing I wonder is, trying to dodge speeding fines is practically an Olympic sport, so would Leon have still did what he did in a healthy state of mind.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I wonder how many people with depression who have been sentenced to prison after committing a crime - but who didn''t play for Norwich City FC once upon a time - would get this same level of support and understanding...

Actually, I don''t wonder at all.

[/quote]

That''s a bit like saying the bl**ding obvious Mr C.  It obviously happens, but when the profile is of a ''famous'' person such as a pro-footballer or ex-pro, who has publicly faced his depression and actively trying to help others, it does have an added dimension.    Crime is crime, but circumstances are relevant.   If Leon is genuine in what he has done recently and it was not a cynical  attempt to create mitigating circumstances, then I for one have no problems with supporting him, as a ncfc supporter or just a neutral observer. (Difficult to be neutral,.though, when he scores twice against our friends down the road - and against MU!!).

Must admit i think this is a bit of a ploy, in fact when i read the end of his statement when he talks about ''giving back'' through his music etc., what a load of balls.

I think he''s doing people who are truly suffering a dis-service to be honest. I don''t think they would be faking legal documents... Not turning up to court appearances, yeah, but not fraud.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I wonder how many people with depression who have been sentenced to prison after committing a crime - but who didn''t play for Norwich City FC once upon a time - would get this same level of support and understanding...Actually, I don''t wonder at all.[/quote]

That''s a bit like saying the bl**ding obvious Mr C.  

[/quote]You know me so well [:)]You could of course argue that it''s precisely because of his status as an ex-professional footballer that he''s been given this platform and therefore he has things in his favour which Joe P. Public doesn''t have, and which might have led another judge on another day to leniency.  Whatever - I have nothing against him, I hope he recovers and prison isn''t too god awful for him while he''s inside.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="lake district canary"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I wonder how many people with depression who have been sentenced to prison after committing a crime - but who didn''t play for Norwich City FC once upon a time - would get this same level of support and understanding...

Actually, I don''t wonder at all.

[/quote]

That''s a bit like saying the bl**ding obvious Mr C.  

[/quote]

You know me so well [:)]

You could of course argue that it''s precisely because of his status as an ex-professional footballer that he''s been given this platform and therefore he has things in his favour which Joe P. Public doesn''t have, and which might have led another judge on another day to leniency.  Whatever - I have nothing against him, I hope he recovers and prison isn''t too god awful for him while he''s inside.
[/quote]

If you have never suffered from it you don''t know what you are talking about, I had it and as well as that I had Belfalst and Falklands post war syndrome but everyone, ignored it as though it was nothing but a scam, thats how most people look at it  

I pray they keep a close watch on him inside, depression is a genuine illness and is sometimes a killer if not looked after.

Would not a community service sentence been better? 6 mths seems draconian imo.

I also feel sorry for him, as it looked like he had turned the corner.  Unfortunately for Leon ''perverting the course of justice'' is a serious offence, and he didn''t do it just once but SIX times.  I appreciate that depression is a horrible thing, and I for one hope I never have to go through it (a friend of mine suffered from it when he was extremely young) but imagine the message this would send to criminals if Leon had not been sent to prison.

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I also feel sorry for him, as it looked like he had turned the corner.  Unfortunately for Leon ''perverting the course of justice'' is a serious offence, and he didn''t do it just once but SIX times.  I appreciate that depression is a horrible thing, and I for one hope I never have to go through it (a friend of mine suffered from it when he was extremely young) but imagine the message this would send to criminals if Leon had not been sent to prison.
[/quote]

True Star, damned if you do and damned if you don''t. [Y]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I also feel sorry for him, as it looked like he had turned the corner.  Unfortunately for Leon ''perverting the course of justice'' is a serious offence, and he didn''t do it just once but SIX times.  I appreciate that depression is a horrible thing, and I for one hope I never have to go through it (a friend of mine suffered from it when he was extremely young) but imagine the message this would send to criminals if Leon had not been sent to prison.
[/quote]

I think there is a bit of difference, Leon is not a criminal, he committed road traffic offences, and I truly believe he could have been given a suspended or community service. or even probation, he should be moved to an open prison in a few days probably Derby, having said that, if depression clicks in again he could walk away and put himself in more trouble, either way he needs to be under supervision .

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I also feel sorry for him, as it looked like he had turned the corner.  Unfortunately for Leon ''perverting the course of justice'' is a serious offence, and he didn''t do it just once but SIX times.  I appreciate that depression is a horrible thing, and I for one hope I never have to go through it (a friend of mine suffered from it when he was extremely young) but imagine the message this would send to criminals if Leon had not been sent to prison.[/quote]

I think there is a bit of difference, Leon is not a criminal, he committed road traffic offences, and I truly believe he could have been given a suspended or community service. or even probation, he should be moved to an open prison in a few days probably Derby, having said that, if depression clicks in again he could walk away and put himself in more trouble, either way he needs to be under supervision .

[/quote]It depends on your definition of criminal I guess, he committed a crime...If it had been a one off occasion then fine, but he showed continued disregard for the law.  I''m not saying I agree with how it has been handled, but I understand why he has been sent to prison, it has to be accepted that you pay a penalty for consistent law breaking.