Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

The five added to the Hall of Fame are...

...Paul Lambert, Grant Holt, Wes Hoolahan, Dean Ashton and Efan Ekoku.They will be joining Adam Drury, Michael Foulger and Alf Kirchen.

But Hoolahan isn''t even an International, and he''s been woeful all season.... :P

Lambert, Holt and Hoolahan definatly deserve it (since their has to be 5 going in, seems like too many to be honest), but Ashton? He was here for less than 12 full months, in which time we got relegated, and he then spent the last few weeks injured (and Worthy has the scan to prove it). Yes he did pretty well here, nearly kept us up, if he had kept us up and then moved on, I would have said fair enough.... Ekoku was before my time, but he has a cool name so seems like a good addition :)

I got my Ekoku mixed up with my Etuhu and nearly swore[:$]

Can anybody tell more about Alf Kirchen? Especially when he returned in the 40''s.

If Dean Ashton is in ,on the basis of what he did for us during his brief time in the Premiership (because it cant be for his half-hearted effort the follwoing season in the Championship), can we expect Steve Morison to be on the list come the next round of selections?!?!?

"He who praises everyone, praises no-one"

I''m firmly in the camp that believe HOF should be about club legends and great achievements, we seem to throw anyone we feel like in there, if they''ve played for Norwich then their entry is validated and in they go.

Lambo, Holt and Hooly I''m just about in favour of, I''m always loathe to admit current players/staff to HOF but I think with our achievements in the last few seasons, they have earnt it.

I don''t know who the hell voted for Ashton but he wouldn''t have been anywhere close to my top 5. Yes he scored some important goals but as others have alluded to, he was here less than 12 months and was present for a relegation, and that''s it, he jumped ship.

Ekoku I''m pleased with, as he got our first ever European goal and that is a huge landmark.

I can''t believe Mark Robins is still not in the HOF. He was one of the most important components in the team that got us to 3rd, and I''m stunned to see, that not only is he one of the few of that team (possibly the only one now) and even more shocked to see people voting for Dean Ashton over someone far more deserving in my book.

also disappointed Roy Waller didn''t make it in there, yes I know he has his little piece of the stadium but I thought it would be a nice gesture to put him in the HOF too, he is surely as deserving as anyone.

The hall of fame should be reserved for players like Keelan , Stringer, Ron Davies etc not for any old tom dick or harry players . Holt i agree with but Efan ekoku ? it makes a mockery of the whole thing . Who''s next Fernando Dervald ?

The Chief was a great player for us. He scored some fantastic goals and lots of them. It was also at a time when we were a force in British football.

The first two definately... the other three couldn''t hold a candle to dozens of other seemingly overlooked City players.Not impressed with that at all.

Dean Ashton arguably the most talented player ever to play for City, without injury could have been Englands greatest goalscorer unfortunately we will never know.

Is Dion in HOF? an absolute legend in such a short time.

[quote user="pete"]

Dean Ashton arguably the most talented player ever to play for City, without injury could have been Englands greatest goalscorer unfortunately we will never know.

Is Dion in HOF? an absolute legend in such a short time.

[/quote]

Grant Holt is better than Dean Ashton was.....and certainly more committed, and I would argue that with anyone!.

[quote user="yoda"]The hall of fame should be reserved for players like Keelan , Stringer, Ron Davies etc not for any old tom dick or harry players . Holt i agree with but Efan ekoku ? it makes a mockery of the whole thing . Who''s next Fernando Dervald ?[/quote]

Agreed. We will see Lee Croft in there next.

Sorry but I have to say I have thought a number of players in the hall of fame are ridicuolous already. The problem is that they said they would induct 5 and had players that have only been here for a few years now. In some hall of fames the player has to be retired for 5 years before being up for consideration. I totally agree with that.

But in regard to the five that are in -

Lambert obviously (not many managers in league history have done what he has done), Holt for his goal scoring record is amazing, does Hoolahan deserve it yet, no. The Chief, possibly but again not yet. Ashton again not yet.

Ashton changed our total team when he arrived, even when slightly unfit. When he played for us in the championship he had already scored 10 goals before Xmas his strike partenr Leon was injured for a bit from what I recall and he was joined by some dross called andy hughes, jason jarrett etc. It was a total shambles. If he had stayed we could have made the play offs, with him and hux dragging our sorry squad to that place. He moved on and fair play to him.

The Chief well, a striker who again probably wasn''t here long enough, but again I would say there have been other strikers worthy and that again he would not be considered in our best 20 strikers.

Hoolahan, again a tidy, creative player but so many other midfielders would be ahead of him.

I think the hall of fame should be looked at as I said with less players/ coaches and by having voting following 5 years after retirement or leaving the club.

Voting on our current team is not right yet, amazing achievements and this team will be remembered but not right to vote them in now.

[quote user="yoda"]The hall of fame should be reserved for players like Keelan , Stringer, Ron Davies etc not for any old tom dick or harry players . Holt i agree with but Efan ekoku ? it makes a mockery of the whole thing . Who''s next Fernando Dervald ?[/quote]Don''t agree, the HOF can''t be a ''memory lane'' for fans born prior to 1980.

Well my "Vote For Hockey" campaign was a non-starter. Not surprising really. I doubt he''d ever get in unless he was deemed as an automatic choice.

I can''t really argue with Lambert, Holt and Hoolahan. The only point against them is whether you believe current players should be included. However I believe Ashton and Ekoku got in partly because they were suggested by the club. And I don''t believe the club have any right to ''rig the vote'' in this way. Had Robins been suggested instead of Ekoku I reckon he''d have got instead.

Herman - http://www.shouldhamfc.co.uk/club/History

It seems that Kirchen was on the Norwich City Board of Directors at the same time as being Honorary President of the Norfolk branch of the Arsenal supporters'' club. Don''t know how the modern fans would have squared that one[:S]

[;)]

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="yoda"]The hall of fame should be reserved for players like Keelan , Stringer, Ron Davies etc not for any old tom dick or harry players . Holt i agree with but Efan ekoku ? it makes a mockery of the whole thing . Who''s next Fernando Dervald ?[/quote]

Agreed. We will see Lee Croft in there next.

[/quote]You mean he''s not in there already?  That''s a f**king disgrace!

I don''t think any of those should be in...Ekoku was alright but I don''t recall ever being that excited by anything I saw him do.Lambert and Holt should go in but not yet... Drury has been awesome for over 10 years and deserves to go in but even then it feels odd him being in there while still playing.Ashton was a total flash in the pan over rated steaming pile imo. 3-4 good months for us, then if people think Morison is lazy they should get a video of some of the season after we went down and look at that immobile, disinterested heap.Hooly- meh... no way hall of fame yet and probably not ever for me.

I don''t think a hof should contain current players, as someone else has said maybe a 5 year wait after leaving the club before becoming eligible.

So from the 5 that are added that leaves Efan and Ashton, Efan i would say maybe because of europe but Ashton no chance, great player but here for not a year and we got relegated.

NCFC shouldn''t add players just the the sake of it

Cheers Nutty.

From what i have read he doesn''t seem to merit a place at all.He must have done something special as a director[^o)]

This made me laugh though.The FA never changes;

Chosen at outside left, with Stanley Matthews on the right wing, Kirchen arrived at the Glasgow hotel where England were staying, and politely greeted one of the selectors in the lobby.

"Who are you?" the selector inquired.

"You ought to know, sir," rejoined Kirchen. "You picked me to play on the wing."

"Oh, yes," said the selector, "how are you, Matthews?"

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I don''t think any of those should be in...Ekoku was alright but I don''t recall ever being that excited by anything I saw him do.Lambert and Holt should go in but not yet... Drury has been awesome for over 10 years and deserves to go in but even then it feels odd him being in there while still playing.Ashton was a total flash in the pan over rated steaming pile imo. 3-4 good months for us, then if people think Morison is lazy they should get a video of some of the season after we went down and look at that immobile, disinterested heap.Hooly- meh... no way hall of fame yet and probably not ever for me.[/quote]

Disappointed by Ashton''s inclusion - yes, he was a good player but I can''t forgive him for how he lost interest after relegation and very obviously wanted to move away. It''s like he''s got in because of his achievements after he left rather than what he did while he was with us.

Maybe a bit unfair, he seems like a nice bloke but that is how I feel.

Hall of Fame should be conducted similar to the Player of the Year trophy.

Each year only ONE associate with the club should be inducted to preserve the exclusivity and point of it. A shortlist of 5 people should be drawn up (4 chosen by the club and the 5th by the fans). The winner is then voted in and announced at the same time as the player of the year.

Hoolahan and Ashton''s inclusions (although I was/am a fan of both) demerits the fame within the hall and the same with Lambert and Holt.

Current associates should not be allowed to be inducted but once the associate moves on or retires they become immediately available to make the shortlist.

Although I''ve heard of the Hall of fame, I don''t know how it works. Are players/managers just put in it or is there a nomination and voting procedure?.

However it works, you  can''t deny the claims of Paul Lambert and Grant Holt, not after the past three years.

Maybe we should have a Room 101 for the club ?  I nominate Neil Doncaster, Glen Roeder, Bryan Hamilton and for his skills as a manager only Bryan Gunn. There are one or two hundred more ..............

[quote user="crabbycanary"]Ashton? Definately having a giraffe. Absolute rubbish choice. Whoever voted for him needs to have a long hard look in the mirror.[/quote]

If the Hall of Fame is a place for the most talented players who have played for the club then Ashton definitely deserves his place. He was an absolute joy to watch in the second half of our last Premier League season and were it not for injury he would undoubtedly have gone on to play for one of the top clubs in the country. His performances post relegation were nowhere near as bad as some make out but if the Hall of Fame is somewhere for the players who have made the greatest contribution to our club then I can see why some might object to his inclusion.

Holt, Hoolahan and Lambert will all desrve a place eventually but my view is that current players/managers should not be added to the Hall of Fame. I see we have the usual and predictable moaning about Wes here but if Holty deserves a place for his goals then surely Wes does for the hand he played in so many of them? He''s not a ''talisman'' though so.............

Efan Ekoku played a huge part in our most sucessful season but he was only here for a relatively short period of time if I recall correctly. I can understand his inclusion as most other players from that team are already in but I do wonder if he really merits a place. But when you look at dome of the other players already in (Darren Kenton?) it''s hard to begrudge him a place.

Without Holt, Hoolahan and lambert''s contribution over the last two years I dread to think where we''d be now. It certainly wouldn''t be 8th in the premier. The achievement of the last couple of seasons is probally one of thre greatest acheiements witnessed by this club. Only maybe surpassed by our 3rd place finish in the premiership.

So why shoudnt the three most important people responcible for this success be inducted into the hall of fame? They fully deserve the regognition of legend status. I''d have a statue of the three of them outside carrow road built tomorrow. You never know, this just might secure Holt and Wes at the club for the rest of their playing days, and Lambert for much longer. So quit your whinging and respect them!!! We are so lucky to have them!

As for Ashton, I agree not a legend in my book.

Agreed on his talent Shack, oh what might of been and all that. It isn''t about talent though (subjective as that is), and who can comment on players that most of us never saw play from years ago?

It is about contribution, which can be measured better, and is more transparent to the fans, and of course, Ashtons was very limited and (ultimately) not effective, although the team''s demise cannot be solely put, on his shoulders.

The "hall of fame" was ruined a long time ago with the likes of Darren Kenton. Including Dean Ashton and current players only makes it worse.