Sign in to follow this  
BW

Success of Lambert makes him untouchable?

Does his success mean we cannot criticise i noticed after this weekends defeat many posters saying look where we have come without Lambert we wouldn''t be here and that. However does that mean when he does do something wrong we should just brush it under the carpet? This is a question for god friends First Wizard and Cluck as i respect their opinions but i think we have differing views here. Regards lads

[quote user="BW"]Does his success mean we cannot criticise i noticed after this weekends defeat many posters saying look where we have come without Lambert we wouldn''t be here and that. However does that mean when he does do something wrong we should just brush it under the carpet? This is a question for god friends First Wizard and Cluck as i respect their opinions but i think we have differing views here. Regards lads[/quote]

Unfortunately I don''t believe in him, so I am unable to reply.....

[quote user="BW"]Does his success mean we cannot criticise i noticed after this weekends defeat many posters saying look where we have come without Lambert we wouldn''t be here and that. However does that mean when he does do something wrong we should just brush it under the carpet? This is a question for god friends First Wizard and Cluck as i respect their opinions but i think we have differing views here. Regards lads[/quote]

And who decides what is right and what is wrong? You, presumably?

I guess my opinion is that of course everyone can say what they want, I think that is already established.

What people tend to get frustrated with is some people''s views go way off the deep end considering the positives. Seriously, read some of the criticism and you would believe Lambert loses games intentionally and doesn''t have the good of the club at heart even though we''ve been promoted twice and are now 8th in the PL.  People vent and I understand that too, just don''t be surprised if people jump to the defence of someone who has turned the club around. Many posters are able to temper their own dissapointment with seeing the bigger picture.

Dunno, slate away if you want!

No it doesn''t make him untouchable.   He often says as a football manager he is always just two games away from the sack.   Okay we know that is not a realistic statement but we know what he means.   He will also know it''s part of the job to accept criticism - some not deserved and some deserved.   I believe he is the kind of guy who would readily admit to making mistakes whenever he does but also stick to his convictions when he firmly believes he is right and ignore the critics.

As supporters, without whom the club could not exist, I think you have every right to criticise providing it is presented in the correct and constructive way.

My first club is Liverpool and I think Kenny Dalglish is so close to God he''s on first name terms with him and calls St Francis of Assissi "Frank".   BUT............ I am very, very critical of the clubs, and in particular Kenny''s handling and conduct in the Suarez affair - absolutely disgraceful and totally wrong, a point I have expressed within the LFC community - because I see it as my right as a supporter.   Dalglish is a hero but that does not place him beyond criticism.   I don''t believe anyone is above criticism when it''s due providing it is, in the main, constructive.

First up, I didn''t get to watch the game so cannot really comment on the performance. That said, I was out on Friday night with a few City supporting friends, we were discussing the game and the chance to get to Wembley. Our better halves (Canadians) couldn''t understand the significance of the cup, so to go out is bitterly disappointing. My friend texted me after the game, in hindsight maybe we were overly confident, personally I''d prefer to look at it as daring to dream, getting caught up in the "magic of the cup". I''ve supported Norwich since 94ish, in all that time this is our best team, our best chance. Shame we blew it. Moving on to the question, Lambert picks the team, the players put in the performance. On the day it didn''t work, Lambert''s selection was supposedly off (personally think it was a pretty decent team). Lambert and our players are not infallible and not above criticism, that said, criticism should be constructive. In my work, as an example, I sometimes feel I can do 99% of my job correct but the slightest problem and my boss is one me like a dog (regardless of fault), it''s not doing much for my confidence! What I''m trying to get at is the club have served us well of late, we shouldn''t by any means become sheep, maybe we ought to look at how we accept losing the times it does happen.COYY

No manager should ever be unaccountable. The board have hopefully learned that lesson from the Glenn Roeder era. After he saved us from relegation he was basically allowed to do as he pleased. That was something which the club nearly never recovered from. Lambert is of course, 1000 times the manager that Roeder was but it doesn''t mean that he isn''t capable of making mistakes. Alex Ferguson admitted to today he dropped a clanger by failing to sign Joe Hart for £100k when offered and he is the best in the business for me. People are entitled to criticise and ask reasonable questions. In my mind that is healthy. Of course Lambert is best placed to judge when it comes to making decisions. He takes training every day and is a European Champion. But it doesnt automatically render the opinions of fans who watch the games invalid. Otherwise what is the point of anyone using forums like these!

Of course anyone working at the club is open to criticism from the fans - from a checkout operator at the club store to the majority shareholders.  What is concerning is the venomous sentiment and language used in some of the criticism, and the expectations others seem to have of what we should be acheiving this season.Sitting 8th in the Premier League is an unbelievable situation to be in considering where we''ve been in recent years but Saturday''s cup exit should really be a reminder of how unpredictable our future results really are.  There were some who were confident of handing Leicester an easy 3 or 4 goal defeat, already booking their trip to Wembley, and acting as if the league season is already done & dusted.  There has also been hint of expecting a push for the Europa League next year!If this post gets any replies (mine usually don''t) they''ll be people saying how they''re being realistic and not seriously expecting to go on for Europe, etc. I''d like to think it was all just a joke but what''s written here is seen by opposing fans and some of our own players, and the general sense of what the fans are saying does filter it''s way to the management team.  Norwich fans are starting to get a bad reputation amongst other sets of football fans for thinking we''re entitled to top-half Premier League spot and now one of the biggest clubs in England. All after 25 games!Our club''s rise has been incredibly fast and exciting to be a part of, and it seems to have been so much that some people have lost their perspective. Take the FA cup exit for example:We had an under strength Norwich team about to play a mid-table Championship side.  Norwich are resting players for a huge league game against the champions, Manchester United the week after.  The manager has already told the press that he doesn''t want to lose but the league has to take priority, so just imagine what he told the players. Most of the praise given to Norwich this season was about how well they have done as underdogs.  Now they''re going into the game as clear favourites.They were facing Leicester - A team with nothing to play for in the league (by their own fan''s comments).  To them any cup game from now on this season is their "cup final", must-win game to get any kind of joy this year.  Not only that, they''re playing to right a wrong done to their fans after being refused the seating allocation they were entitled to over allegations they feel are unjust.So what we had was:Winning team had all the desire and all the reason to give everything they could to get the win, whilst Norwich, with their weakened squad had no real tactical flexibility or urgency. However Norwich have 13 much, much bigger games still to play in the league, while to Leicester, this was their own must-win (until the next round).But what''s been said:DISGRACE!RUBBISH!EMBARASSING!PATHETIC!APPALLING!"WHAT WAS HE THINKING?""WORST PERFORMANCE UNDER LAMBERT!"REFUND!As I said earlier; This gets through to opposing fans, players and the management team. You make yourselves (and the rest of us) look ridiculous with such overreactions.  I know it hurts to lose any game but there are better things to do than go crazy and make a fool of yourself on a messageboard.Paul Lambert has often said that fans have to be realistic with their expectations, and this is exactly why.  Getting knocked out of a competition we couldn''t realistically win is nothing compared to the accomplishment of establishing this club in the Premier League for a second season.  And remember, this is still not guaranteed, no matter how much fantasising you want to do about the current bottom three.We are still 8th in the league, but we have to fight hard to keep that spot.  To finish higher would be the end of an amazing journey this club has been on over the last 3 years.  If we finish 17th on goal difference it would still be the best position this club has been in for almost 20 years!

Excellent post. Been reading this messageboard for many years, but always reluctant to post because of the negative reactions to my first ''attempts'', so have tended to contribute to other fora, (606, Snakepit). This post says it exactly as I saw it. Lambert is not, of course, immune to criticism; (I was there, it was disappointing to put it mildly), but he and our team should not be subjected to vitriolic abuse after his team puts on one below par performance.

I think it''s fine to criticise a team performance, the performance of an individual within that team or the decisions of the manager provided you do it within the context of our overall success of recent years. I''ve got no time for anyone who booed at the game on Saturday because the perfomances of our team over the last two and a half years should mean that fans need more than one poor performance from an under strength team in the FA Cup before they turn on them. Criticise on here by all means where you can make your point in as descriptive manner as you so wish and do it within the context of the teams overall performances. Booing just makes you look like a spoilt child.

[quote user="gorlestongirl"]Excellent post. Been reading this messageboard for many years, but always reluctant to post because of the negative reactions to my first ''attempts'', so have tended to contribute to other fora, (606, Snakepit). This post says it exactly as I saw it. Lambert is not, of course, immune to criticism; (I was there, it was disappointing to put it mildly), but he and our team should not be subjected to vitriolic abuse after his team puts on one below par performance.[/quote]

[:)]

Spot on, I have been defending Lambert and the team ever since Saturday, not because I think they are above critisism but because the level and ferocity of the critisism on here was completely out of proportion to what has happened. Sensationalism is unfortunately a product of our time but I would hope that City fans are able to keep a sense of proportion.

[quote user="BW"]Does his success mean we cannot criticise i noticed after this weekends defeat many posters saying look where we have come without Lambert we wouldn''t be here and that. However does that mean when he does do something wrong we should just brush it under the carpet? This is a question for god friends First Wizard and Cluck as i respect their opinions but i think we have differing views here. Regards lads[/quote]no the fact that we are 8th in the premier league does. so he obvoiusly knows what he is doing so trust him. be careful what you wish for

[quote user="Fozzie"] Getting knocked out of a competition we couldn''t realistically win is nothing compared to the accomplishment of establishing this club in the Premier League for a second season.  And remember, this is still not guaranteed, no matter how much fantasising you want to do about the current bottom three.

[/quote]

I think you make some decent points Fozzie but I don''t really understand this. We are currently the eighth best team in the country (we''re two thirds of the way through the season so I think it''s fair to say our current league position is no fluke) and of the seven teams above us only three remain in the FA Cup. Why shouldn''t we believe we could have won it?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Fozzie"] Getting knocked out of a competition we couldn''t realistically win is nothing compared to the accomplishment of establishing this club in the Premier League for a second season.  And remember, this is still not guaranteed, no matter how much fantasising you want to do about the current bottom three.

[/quote]

I think you make some decent points Fozzie but I don''t really understand this. We are currently the eighth best team in the country (we''re two thirds of the way through the season so I think it''s fair to say our current league position is no fluke) and of the seven teams above us only three remain in the FA Cup. Why shouldn''t we believe we could have won it?

[/quote]

The clue in the result was on the team sheet, just wish this had not been published last week before everyone bought tickets, Lambert said in his post match interview, His priority is keeping us up and not chaseing silverware, So think that say''s it all for me, never again will I attend a cup match

Top thread BW, for me, atm, Lambert is untouchable, his stainless record with us demands that imo.

Walker WAS my top city manager but PL''s surpassed even him now in my eyes.

He''s most certainly untouchable BW.... Paul Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong since he joined City and has miraculously saved us from almost certain oblivion in the lower leagues, wallowing under a pile of uncontrolable debt.If and when things deteriorate... that is the time to begin asking questions, but right now he is City''s best manager for a generation and we should appreciate what we''ve got. Look at where we were.... and look at the dire set up he inherited. If that doesn''t demand respect I don''t know what does.It also says so much about the small minds of many individuals on here that a Cup competition well past it''s sell by date is at the top of their wish list. These days it is little more than a chance for the ''minnows'' to play the big boys... and an opportunity for them to make a few bob out of it. Why risk anything for something so pointless?Forget your cosy love ins at Stamford Bridge with Delia and  put the face paints and curly nylon wigs in the bin..... We''re way beyond that now... and that''s all down to Lambert.

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Fozzie"] Getting knocked out of a competition we couldn''t realistically win is nothing compared to the accomplishment of establishing this club in the Premier League for a second season.  And remember, this is still not guaranteed, no matter how much fantasising you want to do about the current bottom three.[/quote]

[/quote]

The clue in the result was on the team sheet, just wish this had not been published last week before everyone bought tickets, Lambert said in his post match interview, His priority is keeping us up and not chaseing silverware, So think that say''s it all for me, never again will I attend a cup match

[/quote]Ignoring our past cup form, I felt our chances in the cup can be established by looking at the clubs in the next round, not just their league positions:I felt that our goal for this season has clearly been Premier League survival at all costs.You have Bolton in the next round who have much bigger worries, but might be chasing a cup run for a final touch of glory before relegation.Chelsea - AVB will be desperate to acheive some silverware before he gets fired. This could happen as soon as the end of this season.Spurs - Harry''s last hurrah before going onto the England job - Champions League football & an FA Cup win.Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid-table finishes this season, going to give their all for some silverware. Liverpool already in one final so why not go for a ''double''?If they were to get through, Birmingham are going for promotion this season so won''t consider the cup a priority, but they are a good side and will go for any upset. Stevenage are also looking for a play-off spot, but every cup game they get now is a glamour tie.  Who wouldn''t raise their game on the big stage?We all have our own goals for the season, but Paul Lambert & the team have a job to do - establish the club in the Premier League.  With this in mind, plus the sides we''d face in the next round we would not realistically be going for cup glory. Maybe at the end of the 7 (minus 3) year plan.Of course this is just my view on this.  I could be over-analysing things but I do think it comes down to more than just "we''re 8th, they''re lower"

[quote user="Fozzie"][quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Fozzie"] Getting knocked out of a competition we couldn''t realistically win is nothing compared to the accomplishment of establishing this club in the Premier League for a second season.  And remember, this is still not guaranteed, no matter how much fantasising you want to do about the current bottom three.[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Ignoring our past cup form, I felt our chances in the cup can be established by looking at the clubs in the next round, not just their league positions:I felt that our goal for this season has clearly been Premier League survival at all costs.You have Bolton in the next round who have much bigger worries, but might be chasing a cup run for a final touch of glory before relegation.Chelsea - AVB will be desperate to acheive some silverware before he gets fired. This could happen as soon as the end of this season.Spurs - Harry''s last hurrah before going onto the England job - Champions League football & an FA Cup win.Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid-table finishes this season, going to give their all for some silverware. Liverpool already in one final so why not go for a ''double''?If they were to get through, Birmingham are going for promotion this season so won''t consider the cup a priority, but they are a good side and will go for any upset. Stevenage are also looking for a play-off spot, but every cup game they get now is a glamour tie.  Who wouldn''t raise their game on the big stage?We all have our own goals for the season, but Paul Lambert & the team have a job to do - establish the club in the Premier League.  With this in mind, plus the sides we''d face in the next round we would not realistically be going for cup glory. Maybe at the end of the 7 (minus 3) year plan.Of course this is just my view on this.  I could be over-analysing things but I do think it comes down to more than just "we''re 8th, they''re lower"[/quote]

So if Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland are mid table finishes, going to give their all for some silverware.... why didnt we? When precisely do you think we will we ''safe'' from relegation and able to give it are all because its only th top 4-5 teams that are mathmatically safe by mid February and if as you say in 4 years time we are ''established'' in the premier league do you think we will be higher than 8th at this point of the season?

[quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]He''s most certainly untouchable BW.... Paul Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong since he joined City and has miraculously saved us from almost certain oblivion in the lower leagues, wallowing under a pile of uncontrolable debt.If and when things deteriorate... that is the time to begin asking questions, but right now he is City''s best manager for a generation and we should appreciate what we''ve got. Look at where we were.... and look at the dire set up he inherited. If that doesn''t demand respect I don''t know what does.It also says so much about the small minds of many individuals on here that a Cup competition well past it''s sell by date is at the top of their wish list. These days it is little more than a chance for the ''minnows'' to play the big boys... and an opportunity for them to make a few bob out of it. Why risk anything for something so pointless?Forget your cosy love ins at Stamford Bridge with Delia and  put the face paints and curly nylon wigs in the bin..... We''re way beyond that now... and that''s all down to Lambert.

[/quote]

Do you not feel though if Lambert does make a tactical error and we as fans don''t pipe up Lambert could become complacent? I disagree about the cup yes i feel it is not quite what it is but still we are winners and i like to win anything whether its the JPT to the champions league i am greedy and i want it all. Also when you win things as we have seen its brings a winning mentality to the side. Do you think after 4 seasons of mid table the current side will still have this belief that Lambert has installed in every player bar Morison?

(For Cluck and Wiz)

[quote user="Fozzie"]
You have Bolton in the next round who have much bigger worries, but might be chasing a cup run for a final touch of glory before relegation.
Chelsea - AVB will be desperate to acheive some silverware before he gets fired. This could happen as soon as the end of this season.
Spurs - Harry''s last hurrah before going onto the England job - Champions League football & an FA Cup win.
Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid-table finishes this season, going to give their all for some silverware. Liverpool already in one final so why not go for a ''double''?
If they were to get through, Birmingham are going for promotion this season so won''t consider the cup a priority, but they are a good side and will go for any upset. Stevenage are also looking for a play-off spot, but every cup game they get now is a glamour tie.  Who wouldn''t raise their game on the big stage?

We all have our own goals for the season, but Paul Lambert & the team have a job to do - establish the club in the Premier League.  With this in mind, plus the sides we''d face in the next round we would not realistically be going for cup glory. Maybe at the end of the 7 (minus 3) year plan.

Of course this is just my view on this.  I could be over-analysing things but I do think it comes down to more than just "we''re 8th, they''re lower"
[/quote]

Or alternatively.

Bolton - Bottom three for a reason.

Chelsea - Beseiged by in-fighting and with a squad of which some are clearly not behind their manager.

Spurs - More concerned with a top four finish and with a manager who''s mind is drifting towards who he should pick for Euro 2012.

Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid table and definitely beatable.

Birmingham - More concerned with promotion.

Stevenage - Surely we''re not worried about beating Stevenage?

Maybe there is more to it than ''we''re eighth, they''re lower'' but you''re just looking for reasons why we might not win. How about the reasons why we could beat these sides?

[quote user="Son Ova Gunn"]So if Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland are mid table finishes, going to give their all for some silverware.... why didnt we? When precisely do you think we will we ''safe'' from relegation and able to give it are all because its only th top 4-5 teams that are mathmatically safe by mid February and if as you say in 4 years time we are ''established'' in the premier league do you think we will be higher than 8th at this point of the season?[/quote]What I wanted to highlight in my first post was that getting so angry

and venting such torrid abuse at players/the management over one

game that wasn''t necessarily so important is an over-reaction which

could have further consequences than just forum banter.  It''s obvious now that whilst wading through the moans and complaints and skipping over fantasies of European conquest I have fallen behind in my knowledge of our progress as I thought we''d only just finished 2nd in the Championship last season and our first season back in the Premier League hadn''t finished yet.As I said in the post you quoted, our aims for the season are clearly different from Liverpool, Stoke, Everton and Sunderland.  If you feel this should be different then please write to Paul Lambert and explain to him how you feel a club that has just won promotion from the Championship, having only just won promotion from League One the year before, should have the goals and expectations of a club regularly finishing withing the top half of the Premier League for the past 3+ years. All whilst on one of the tightest financial budgets in the league. I''m sure he''d concede your points and promptly demand a replay of our cup tie so we can go out and win by the five thousand billion goals we clearly deserve for being 8th in the league.We do go out to win every game we can, but not at the expense of what we are trying to acheive. We did so last year when our goal was to consolidate in the Campionship, and we did such fantastic job of getting results in that league we acheived a further promotion. This acheivement was a result of doing a good job at what we were looking to do - win LEAGUE games. Did anyone complain about not getting a trip to Wembley after we knew we''d be getting a trip to Old Trafford?Despite the huge jump in difficulty, our goal this year has been the same as last year: Survive & consolidate in the league.  We''ve done such a good job of it that we find ourselves 8th at the moment but there are still 13 games left to play.  I see no sense in moving the goalposts of expectation put on the management or the playing squad when there''s still so much to do.  I really do not understand why so many of you are considering us to be a mid-table club when we haven''t actually FINISHED a season in any Premier League survival position since 1994.David McNally said recently that Paul Lambert has money to spend in the transfer market but he won''t be allowed to put our financial stability at risk.  This is the way you should look at the difference between the league and the cup.  We''ll have a go, but can''t put our league goals at risk.  Just as we don''t have the financial strength to compete with Manchesters City and United without going bust, we clearly didn''t have the squad depth to compete in the cup (otherwise we would have won, right?) without putting our stability within the league at risk.There''s a job to be done, so let them do it.  Any further acheivement is a bonus for us, not a necessity.We have a great thing going right now.  Don''t ruin it by putting crazy expectations on the management team and the players.  If we do survive this year it is not guaranteed to be in 8th.  Could possibly be higher, could easily be lower.  That also does not mean we should expect to finish higher next year simply because of the position we hold currently or finish the season in.I have a feeling that if the Lambert and/or McNally tell us what their goals are for a season, they might just happen to coincide with what their goals are for the season.  Considering what they''ve acheived so far, plus their depth of knowledge of the playing squad and club finances I think we should go along with that. If you aren''t happy with it have a little protest outside Carrow Road.  Go tell them how a meteoric rise in league standing is not good enough and that you demand instant global domination on a shoestring''s shoestring budget.

Apologies if that didn''t answer your question. I don''t tend to say much here so I rambled on a bit and forgot what was going on.  I think I''m still in the same room I was in when I started typing...Oh, right: "When do I think we''ll be ''safe'' from relegation?"   When the season is over or when it is mathematically impossible for us to go down. We''re still an unknown quantity in the league (yes, even after 25 games) I don''t think we have a squad large enough to take on two or three challenges just yet.  Let''s focus on one for now.  8th position is not our guaranteed position at the end of the season.  We have a lot of work to do to maintain it."If in 4 years time we are ''established'' in the premier league

do you think we will be higher than 8th at this point of the season?"Would be nice, but the point is it''s very likely that if we''ve been in the Premier League for 4 years we''ll have strenthened the squad.  More importantly we''ll have the experience between players & management to be able to judge what we should be aiming to acheive, be it cup glory or desperate league survival.

[quote user="BW"][quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]He''s most certainly untouchable BW.... Paul Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong since he joined City and has miraculously saved us from almost certain oblivion in the lower leagues, wallowing under a pile of uncontrolable debt.If and when things deteriorate... that is the time to begin asking questions, but right now he is City''s best manager for a generation and we should appreciate what we''ve got. Look at where we were.... and look at the dire set up he inherited. If that doesn''t demand respect I don''t know what does.It also says so much about the small minds of many individuals on here that a Cup competition well past it''s sell by date is at the top of their wish list. These days it is little more than a chance for the ''minnows'' to play the big boys... and an opportunity for them to make a few bob out of it. Why risk anything for something so pointless?Forget your cosy love ins at Stamford Bridge with Delia and  put the face paints and curly nylon wigs in the bin..... We''re way beyond that now... and that''s all down to Lambert.

[/quote]

Do you not feel though if Lambert does make a tactical error and we as fans don''t pipe up Lambert could become complacent? I disagree about the cup yes i feel it is not quite what it is but still we are winners and i like to win anything whether its the JPT to the champions league i am greedy and i want it all. Also when you win things as we have seen its brings a winning mentality to the side. Do you think after 4 seasons of mid table the current side will still have this belief that Lambert has installed in every player bar Morison?

(For Cluck and Wiz)[/quote]I don''t think anyone would say that a moan about losing to Leicester is out of the question... it was just the totally over the top way it was done.I think there are more appropraite commentators than me on here BW... but from my standpoint, staying in the top flight for 4 years without ''winning anything'' would be a success and used carefully NCFC should never ever reach the depths it did a couple of years back.Winning cups is more to do with being the best team ''on the day'' and that could happen whichever league we were in.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Fozzie"]You have Bolton in the next round who have much bigger worries, but might be chasing a cup run for a final touch of glory before relegation.Chelsea - AVB will be desperate to acheive some silverware before he gets fired. This could happen as soon as the end of this season.Spurs - Harry''s last hurrah before going onto the England job - Champions League football & an FA Cup win.Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid-table finishes this season, going to give their all for some silverware. Liverpool already in one final so why not go for a ''double''?If they were to get through, Birmingham are going for promotion this season so won''t consider the cup a priority, but they are a good side and will go for any upset. Stevenage are also looking for a play-off spot, but every cup game they get now is a glamour tie.  Who wouldn''t raise their game on the big stage?We all have our own goals for the season, but Paul Lambert & the team have a job to do - establish the club in the Premier League.  With this in mind, plus the sides we''d face in the next round we would not realistically be going for cup glory. Maybe at the end of the 7 (minus 3) year plan.Of course this is just my view on this.  I could be over-analysing things but I do think it comes down to more than just "we''re 8th, they''re lower"[/quote]

Or alternatively.

Bolton - Bottom three for a reason.

Chelsea - Beseiged by in-fighting and with a squad of which some are clearly not behind their manager.

Spurs - More concerned with a top four finish and with a manager who''s mind is drifting towards who he should pick for Euro 2012.

Liverpool/Stoke/Everton/Sunderland - Mid table and definitely beatable.

Birmingham - More concerned with promotion.

Stevenage - Surely we''re not worried about beating Stevenage?

Maybe there is more to it than ''we''re eighth, they''re lower'' but you''re just looking for reasons why we might not win. How about the reasons why we could beat these sides?

[/quote]I was looking for reasons why we might not win in a cup tie which didn''t mean enough to us to field a full strength team, and I believe the main weapon they would have against us is how much the game means to them.  If it appeared that we really wanted to fight for it and win the cup then I don''t think anything I said would have been an issue at all.

Well well, bu**er me, i agree with Wiz AND Cluck.

For what he has done, for what he is doing, and for what he will do, the man Lambert IS intouchable. For me anyway.

If he told my mother to eff off and i''d say "sorry mum, the man says you gotta go."

Also i don''t think he''ll be here long enough to find himself in some sort of Wenger situation where some fans start to say he has had his time, but even that is utter nonsense and not his fault.

He''s too good to go stale or start losing the plot like say Worthy did. If things go wrong it will be because of money or player and wage issues, not PL''s management.

If i was in charge, and he said he wanted to see out his career at CR, there''s no way i''d stop him!

I was talking to a fellow season ticket holder on Sunday, who was MOST aggrieved at having paid £25 to watch a very disappointing performance. Although I agreed with him to some extent, I was rather stung by his virulent criticism of Paul Lambert and the team selection, to the point where I said "Oh well, let''s sack him then ...", to which he replied "I don''t care if we do, he''s leaving at the end of the season to manage Spurs anyway". He then informed me that he had supported Norwich for more than 60 years and it was the worst performance he had ever seen. I can only think that he has a very, very short memory indeed.

Thank you Fozzy for taking time to reply to my post. You do make some very valid and sensible points which are hard to disagree with. Yes we should be very happy with premiership survival and this should be the only thing Lambert should be judged on this season and maybe for the next few also. Yes the people boo''ing and the example above from Canary_Bird highlight both short memories and unfair expectations..but..

for the forseeable future Norwich''s chances of winning something other than survival rest with the two cups, we may never in our lifetime be capable of mounting a title challenge again. If when we are virtually safe from relegation, have a week before are next game, which incidently is with Man Utd where we are not expected to pick up points, and playing at home to a lower leauge club in the fifth round with some of the biggest names already knocked out, I really fail to see when would be a better time to field a full strength team.  I dont buy that in 4 seasons time with continued prem football and money will be better, just look at wigan and bolton. If we had fielded our first 11 and lost then many of the more reasonable fans would have accepted it as ''one of those days'' but the disappointment for some including me is that I simply dont believe next saturday''s game is a bigger priority to the club than last saturdays given all the reasons listed above (yes survival is bigger but not 1 game against man utd). I dont think we would of won the cup, but then again I didnt think Cardiff would have a chance of europe either. Once again Fozzy, I really do see your point which makes sense and thansk again for answering the questions raised, something that doesnt happen all the time but think we going to agree to disagree on this one, Lambert - great manager-give him a contract for life I say, but he made a mistake, he''s human he will make more but the success he has brought entitles him to make many many many more before I take you up on your offer of demonstrating outside Carroe Rd

[quote user="BW"][quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]He''s most certainly untouchable BW.... Paul Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong since he joined City and has miraculously saved us from almost certain oblivion in the lower leagues, wallowing under a pile of uncontrolable debt.

If and when things deteriorate... that is the time to begin asking questions, but right now he is City''s best manager for a generation and we should appreciate what we''ve got. Look at where we were.... and look at the dire set up he inherited. If that doesn''t demand respect I don''t know what does.

It also says so much about the small minds of many individuals on here that a Cup competition well past it''s sell by date is at the top of their wish list. These days it is little more than a chance for the ''minnows'' to play the big boys... and an opportunity for them to make a few bob out of it. Why risk anything for something so pointless?

Forget your cosy love ins at Stamford Bridge with Delia and  put the face paints and curly nylon wigs in the bin..... We''re way beyond that now... and that''s all down to Lambert.

[/quote] Do you not feel though if Lambert does make a tactical error and we as fans don''t pipe up Lambert could become complacent? I disagree about the cup yes i feel it is not quite what it is but still we are winners and i like to win anything whether its the JPT to the champions league i am greedy and i want it all. Also when you win things as we have seen its brings a winning mentality to the side. Do you think after 4 seasons of mid table the current side will still have this belief that Lambert has installed in every player bar Morison? (For Cluck and Wiz)[/quote]

At the risk of repeating myself, I ask the same question as before; who decides that a tactical error has been made? You presumably with your vast knowledge and experience of the game.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="BW"][quote user="Alan BowCLUCK"]He''s most certainly untouchable BW.... Paul Lambert hasn''t put a foot wrong since he joined City and has miraculously saved us from almost certain oblivion in the lower leagues, wallowing under a pile of uncontrolable debt.If and when things deteriorate... that is the time to begin asking questions, but right now he is City''s best manager for a generation and we should appreciate what we''ve got. Look at where we were.... and look at the dire set up he inherited. If that doesn''t demand respect I don''t know what does.It also says so much about the small minds of many individuals on here that a Cup competition well past it''s sell by date is at the top of their wish list. These days it is little more than a chance for the ''minnows'' to play the big boys... and an opportunity for them to make a few bob out of it. Why risk anything for something so pointless?Forget your cosy love ins at Stamford Bridge with Delia and  put the face paints and curly nylon wigs in the bin..... We''re way beyond that now... and that''s all down to Lambert.

[/quote] Do you not feel though if Lambert does make a tactical error and we as fans don''t pipe up Lambert could become complacent? I disagree about the cup yes i feel it is not quite what it is but still we are winners and i like to win anything whether its the JPT to the champions league i am greedy and i want it all. Also when you win things as we have seen its brings a winning mentality to the side. Do you think after 4 seasons of mid table the current side will still have this belief that Lambert has installed in every player bar Morison? (For Cluck and Wiz)[/quote]

At the risk of repeating myself, I ask the same question as before; who decides that a tactical error has been made? You presumably with your vast knowledge and experience of the game.

[/quote]

I as a fan have decided that Lambert made a tactical error last week. It is an opinion I do not need vast knowledge or experience of the game to form, and it is possible that this opinion that could change if others who have drawn a different conclusion use reasoned debate and back up their view just as Fozzy has above. If a fans forum is not the place to debate in a healthy and reasonable way please direct me to a more suitable site. I only assume from your post that Lambert cannot possibly make a mistake and therefore anyone with a different view is wrong, thanks for your imput but unfortunately it did little to change my view which is written above.