Sign in to follow this  
Boris Bear

Deluded Canaries

Sorry mate but Cantona wasn''t playing, nor was he scheduled to......nor was he playing for Liverpool when we got 29000 LOL

So would you say that Norwich are a bigger club than Sunderland?

[quote user="Ruddy Cant fail"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Perhaps benefit claimants get in free to all Sunderland reserve games?[/quote]

Funnily enough Rude ol'' chap the 33,000 attendance could not be entered as a record because entry was erm free.

The 22,000 that turned up for the sunderland reserves manure match were possibly swelled in numbers by those who wanted to see the return of one Mr. E. Cantona who surprisingly was not playing for Sunderland but was playing his first game for the mancs after that kung fu kick ban.

The fact they turned up to see cantona play tells you several things not least that we have another northerner here clinging on to the past, bit like the Leeds fans. Next thing we know is they''ll be claiming that they really won the 1985 Milk Cup as it was technically an own goal. See the domain name www.WATACCUNTA.com (Way Aye Thar All Champions Champions Up North Thay Are) has already gone.
[/quote]

Plastic Mancs! Who''d have thought it!! Well remembered Ruddy Can''t pail [;)]

[quote user="Boris Bear"]Sorry mate but Cantona wasn''t playing, nor was he scheduled to......nor was he playing for Liverpool when we got 29000 LOL So would you say that Norwich are a bigger club than Sunderland?[/quote]

Bigger club... hmmmm,,, it''s hard to measure really.

Although Sunderland do have a bigger name than Norwich. It''s got more letters anyway.

You do seem to like appointing managers who played for us though[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Boris Bear"]Sorry mate but Cantona wasn''t playing, nor was he scheduled to......nor was he playing for Liverpool when we got 29000 LOL So would you say that Norwich are a bigger club than Sunderland?[/quote]

Although Sunderland do have a bigger name than Norwich. It''s got more letters anyway.

[/quote]

We do seem to have more fans........but with a history that includes being champions of England 6 times and 2 FA Cup wins they are probably just glory hunters

[quote user="Boris Bear"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] We do seem to have more fans........but with a history that includes being champions of England 6 times and 2 FA Cup wins they are probably just glory hunters[/quote]

Are you a kind of cross between Leeds and Ipswich. They live in the past too. And they have a couple of statues. Who''s your statue of again? He looks like Columbo to me [Z]

[quote user="Boris Bear"]

So would you say that Norwich are a bigger club than Sunderland?[/quote]Oh no the "Bigger club" question.I remember watching your 1973 FA cup triumph on tv its actually one of the earliest games I can still remember.Isn''t it also your last major trophy what with everything else you''ve ever done being done by welders called Bert in pantaloons and cloth caps kicking a pigs bladder in the mud?Bigger no, more succesful in my lifetime definitely.Now quid pro quo.What was the attendance for the Newcastle Utd. vs Leeds Utd. Central League (reserves) match in May 1951?

sad thing is they are more likely to get one of those again than get a job

ps I wonder if Doris Dear can tell us if his great grandad was born whem any of that stuff happened

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Boris Bear"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] We do seem to have more fans........but with a history that includes being champions of England 6 times and 2 FA Cup wins they are probably just glory hunters[/quote]

Are you a kind of cross between Leeds and Ipswich. They live in the past too. And they have a couple of statues. Who''s your statue of again? He looks like Columbo to me [Z]

[/quote]

He does look a bit like Columbo :D..........he is probably the most famous FA Cup winning manager ever.

Have you had one of them?

BTW - 3-2 in the Friendly Cup Final........have you put the ribbons on for us yet?

[quote user="City1st"]sad thing is they are more likely to get one of those again than get a job

ps I wonder if Doris Dear can tell us if his great grandad was born whem any of that stuff happened[/quote]

Very good mate......especially from someone whose great grandad was probably also his auntie

Boris, football fans deluded? Whatever next.

Honestly, this is a Norwich msg board what

Do you expect? Have you ever been on waccoe?

I still have a soft spot for Sunderland and esp MO''N and hope you go on to challenge the really smug - manure

And chelski.

[quote user="Boris Bear"] He does look a bit like Columbo :D..........he is probably the most famous FA Cup winning manager ever. Have you had one of them? BTW - 3-2 in the Friendly Cup Final........have you put the ribbons on for us yet?[/quote]

Only famous in the same way that the Chuckle Brothers are in Rotherham. Probably the worst FA Cup winning manager ever. What else did he win? What other clubs did he manage? Everyone can have 5 minutes of fame [;)]

[quote user="Boris Bear"][quote user="Jacko"]http://www.safc.com/news/20111208/sunderland-res-6-man-utd-res-3_2256213_2542015 I don''t believe you Boris I am afraid.[/quote] I''m not really bothered mate.......I never said this year did I? Keep googling eh ;-)[/quote]

I think what BB was referring to was the TOTAL number of spectators to ALL their reserve games since they got formed - which I think was created as a result of a spin off from ...umm, what''s the name of that proper big club up the road, you know the one, with the black and white stripes...........

But you are right on one thing - we are deluded Canaries - deluded into thinking we could have some sort of sensible discussion with people like yourself - how stupid of us DOH

[quote user="Tao of Lambert"]Boris, football fans deluded? Whatever next.

Honestly, this is a Norwich msg board what

Do you expect? Have you ever been on waccoe?

I still have a soft spot for Sunderland and esp MO''N and hope you go on to challenge the really smug - manure

And chelski.[/quote]

Good point mate.......we''re all a bit deluded LOL

Not sure about challenging........we can but dream (and I would like to see Norwich up there too)

[quote user="Boris Bear"] He does look a bit like Columbo :D..........he is probably the most famous FA Cup winning manager ever. Have you had one of them? BTW - 3-2 in the Friendly Cup Final........have you put the ribbons on for us yet?[/quote]

Only famous in the same way that the Chuckle Brothers are in Rotherham. Probably the worst FA Cup winning manager ever. What else did he win? What other clubs did he manage? Everyone can have 5 minutes of fame [;)]

[/quote]

I agree mate.........I''m not a fan but he is the most famous nontheless

[quote user="Boris Bear"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] I agree mate.........I''m not a fan but he is the most famous nontheless[/quote]

Anyway Boris Boi..

Good luck for the rest of the season and drop in again[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Boris Bear"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote] I agree mate.........I''m not a fan but he is the most famous nontheless[/quote]

Anyway Boris Boi..

Good luck for the rest of the season and drop in again[Y]

[/quote]

I will mate.....maybe when it''s less emotive ;-)

Great fans like Norwich deserve a great season - enjoy it boys :D

[quote user=Boris Bear]Sorry mate but Cantona wasn''t playing, nor was he scheduled to......nor was he playing for Liverpool when we got 29000 LOL So would you say that Norwich are a bigger club than Sunderland?[/quote]

I wouldn''t say we were bigger Boris but given your "size" I still think most would think of you as a yo-yo club. So what does big mean?

Speaking of positions in the table, it also looks like the four prior seasons that Sunderland have been back in the Premiership they have averaged a lower half position of 13th/14th. After coming straight up through two lower levels we are already two or three places above what you have averaged and, come Saturday evening, I think there''s a very good chance you''ll be below us in the table. So why don''t you pay us a visit on Saturday evening and explain to us what "delusional" means.

Did that 30,000 + attendance include all the statues of ex Sunderland managers who haven''t won anything, surely you keep those statues in the ground and just display the one who got you your only cup?

Right. Lets bring in economics. The last time Sunderland was able to sustain a strong period resulting in trophies was the last time the area as a whole was rich in terms of economic productivity. When your local industries went into decline as did your club.

Back in the day that wasnt unusual considering that local buisiness men tended to fund clubs and teams.

I love it how a trophies before the two world wars are ''bragged'' about when so many clubs were ravaged by the effects of the war.

Well done for having a historicly good club.

Am at work so didnt see the game unfortunately so cant pass direct judgment. However by all accounts your team played well and ours didnt. However from most of the reports I have read it suggests Norwich underperformed as much as Sunderland performed on the night.

And on paper I''d still take some of our players over yours, and lets not forget how much they cost.

Infact I find it strange that a ''bigger clubs'' fan is sooo bothered about what fans of a newly promoted team think. As others have said its not insulting that people thought we could get something out of the game. We have had a good run of form including shutting out Chelski. You cant blame people for feeling confident.

Finally I would just like to point out that it was an ex Norwich player managing you that saved you from relegation last time you battled it and it looks like its the same again

I knew you guys would be tougher tonight than earlier in the season but I will say that you can never underestimate the quality and drive of O''Neil. With the money of your backers and so long as they dont do daft things like during last summer you could potentially be fighting for a euro spot in coming seasons.

As for which club is bigger. I will hand it to you that in the pre ww2 era your club was far more successful winning all six of its league titles and one FA cup. I hasten to add that three of those league titles were achieved before 1900 and the creation of NCFC. However post 1945 you have a single FA cup to Norwich''s two league cups and a 3rd place finish and subsequent European football.

In terms of stature the two clubs are both pretty similar to be fair. Pound for Pound in terms of what was spent on players you guys have a much more expensive squad and as an established prem team beat a team poorly performing on the night but well worth their money so far this season.

Who is better? Lets see come the end of the season as little argument can be had then. But sadly you cant gloat if you finish above us because by all rights by valuation of your squad you should.

No hard feelings chap. But you do come across as a bit of a stirer and a poor example of the few sunderland fans I have met.

[quote user="chicken"]Right. Lets bring in economics. The last time Sunderland was able to sustain a strong period resulting in trophies was the last time the area as a whole was rich in terms of economic productivity. When your local industries went into decline as did your club.

Back in the day that wasnt unusual considering that local buisiness men tended to fund clubs and teams.

I love it how a trophies before the two world wars are ''bragged'' about when so many clubs were ravaged by the effects of the war.

Well done for having a historicly good club.

Am at work so didnt see the game unfortunately so cant pass direct judgment. However by all accounts your team played well and ours didnt. However from most of the reports I have read it suggests Norwich underperformed as much as Sunderland performed on the night.

And on paper I''d still take some of our players over yours, and lets not forget how much they cost.

Infact I find it strange that a ''bigger clubs'' fan is sooo bothered about what fans of a newly promoted team think. As others have said its not insulting that people thought we could get something out of the game. We have had a good run of form including shutting out Chelski. You cant blame people for feeling confident.

Finally I would just like to point out that it was an ex Norwich player managing you that saved you from relegation last time you battled it and it looks like its the same again

I knew you guys would be tougher tonight than earlier in the season but I will say that you can never underestimate the quality and drive of O''Neil. With the money of your backers and so long as they dont do daft things like during last summer you could potentially be fighting for a euro spot in coming seasons.

As for which club is bigger. I will hand it to you that in the pre ww2 era your club was far more successful winning all six of its league titles and one FA cup. I hasten to add that three of those league titles were achieved before 1900 and the creation of NCFC. However post 1945 you have a single FA cup to Norwich''s two league cups and a 3rd place finish and subsequent European football.

In terms of stature the two clubs are both pretty similar to be fair. Pound for Pound in terms of what was spent on players you guys have a much more expensive squad and as an established prem team beat a team poorly performing on the night but well worth their money so far this season.

Who is better? Lets see come the end of the season as little argument can be had then. But sadly you cant gloat if you finish above us because by all rights by valuation of your squad you should.

No hard feelings chap. But you do come across as a bit of a stirer and a poor example of the few sunderland fans I have met.[/quote]

Sorry mate but it''s silly to suggest that you''re of a similar stature. I would like to hear which of your players would trouble our first team mind

As I quite clearly stated - post war success is not too dissimilar with the last 30 years clearly being more productive for us.

Its not silly. Whats silly is your stupid reluctance to accept facts and realise you are being totaly unreasonable and projecting a very bad and negative image of Sunderland fans. If so incensed why not post on that other thread prior to tonights result?

As for stature its relative. In terms of local population as theory goes you have more people to draw upon support from. However in terms of region you are the smaller of your neighbours, more so in recent years (post ww2).

Other than Ipswich the next closest club in terms of stature to us is probably Watford and even then its not convincing. And there is clear reasoninv for that too. Most of East Anglia and its neighbouring land is farming country so you tend to have a small population spread over a large area.

Sunderland is in an area close to several other large cities with areas of quite dense populations as would reflect cities where manufacture was and is a key part of the local economy.

What am I getting at? Numbers of fans through the gate is proportional to the direct area the club is situated in. The size of the stadium and average gate is but one aspect of a clubs stature.

Other aspects include international recognition. Recent successes of which I would say no more than 30years previous, and their current form and league position in comparison to wealth. Yes their is also a part for history ther but even that has to be living memory for any other fans to pay much recognition too.

[quote user="City1st"]"now I come on to read the conspiracy theory that is that Norwich threw the game"

err, no

try getting a grown up to read it for you

if not - we looked like we threw the game, quite a bit of a difference

as to knowing our place then as a club permanently in the shadow of Newcastle Utd you do at least have one thing that you are qualified to tells us about
[/quote]

City 1st when will you ever learn, You must not argue with Children, or haven''t you ever watched Outnumbered?, No that makes two of us

In terms of history you have produced 2 out of the 3 worst sides to EVER play Premier League football. You were the absolute laughing stock of English football during both seasons. Only Derby''s horrific season in 2007/8 has saved you from the dubious honour of being the very worst.

Does that reflect where you are now as a club? Of course it doesn''t. You have got a billionaire Ellis Short running the club and a good manager. Likewise I think Huddersfield won 3 league titles in the 1920s. If we apply your logic they are a bigger club than us despite being in League One. In fact the Royal Engineers and The Old Etonions must be bigger than us as well!

History is important and is something a club should rightly celebrate. But in reality it has little bearing on the present. I doubt Stephan Sessegnon joined because you won loads of league titles before my great grandfather was born. He joined because you could give him Premiership football and you had an owner who could pay him good money. Thats how football works.

How do you work out that OUR squad cost more than yours? We put our squad together for 9 million quid!!! What yours cost? a helluva lot more!!! Can we afford to bring in the likes of Bridge on loan? NO!!!! You are the bloody deluded one mate if you think we paid more for our squad!!!! You paid 9 million for a crock goalkeeper on its own!!!!

[/quote]

So are big clubs fans excused when the tele call in then, one thing here in Norwich you never see empty tiers on the m.o.t.d, only un important games like cup matches, When not if, When we increase capacity you will still find it hard to buy a match ticket, because we Norwich fans turn out in all weathers no matter which league we are in and don''t stay at home when the TV man comes to watch, your so big you couldn''t beat boro last week, no further run in the cup for you lot then Boro with thump you on home turf.   

[quote user="Boris Bear"]I think there were some bad apples in our squad back then (as well as old cushion face the manager) but it would be churlish of me not to say that Norwich played very very well, as they have for most of the season.

We were where you are now a couple of seasons back, playing on spirit and adrenalin and I have no doubt that with that spirit and a good manager like Lambert you will supplement your squad with good players who will want to play in front of your great fans but FFS please weak up and stop the delusional claims that you will walk over established teams on their own patch with ease.

Also with the bullshit claims about our attendances..........It''s not so long ago that we had 2 reserve matches that attracted attendances bigger than anything Carrow Road has seen in the last 20 years.[/quote]The only real difference at Sunderland is O''Niell who is a great Manager very much like Lambert he can get the best out of any player. However do not forget in the end at Villa he failed! He struggles to keep onboard "big" players as do many managers look at Man City which is why Ferguson is exceptional. I predict like with Villa O''Niell will progress Sunderland to near top six but beyond that as with Villa he struggles to achieve. Let us be honest this year there are only really two clubs in it , one due to money the other due to great Manager

I enjoyed that interlude of banter with Boris last night. It''s a shame we don''t get more of that on here. It was good humoured and fun. Much of what he was posting was tongue in cheek. Some of you take such things a little too seriously[;)]

"Some of you take such things a little too seriously"''twas ever such, young sir

Boris if your support is so MAHOOSSSIIIIVVVEEEE why has Niall Quinn been pleading with fans for ages to attend games?

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Stokoe_statue.jpg/450px-Stokoe_statue.jpg[/IMG]

In May 1978, Stokoe returned to Blackpool with the club in dire straits. Under the managership of Allan Brown they had been relegated to the Third Division for the first time in their history and were looking for someone who could rebuild a once-proud playing tradition. He guided them to a mid-table finishing position, and then resigned again before the start of the 1979–80 season.

There followed another spell with Rochdale (1979–1980) which ended with the club having to seek re-election to the league and spells with Carlisle United (1980–1985 and 1985–1986). He led Carlisle to promotion to the Second Division in 1982, and in the 1983-84 season they became promotion contenders before a poor run saw them finish 7th. He resigned in 1985, only to be reappointed and resign again seven months later.

Towards the end of the 1986–87 season, he was appointed caretaker-manager of Sunderland as they struggled in the Second Division. They narrowly lost on goal difference in the end-of-season relegation-promotion playoffs and were relegated to the Third Division for the first time in their history. His contract was not renewed and he retired from football. During his whole career as a manager he was never sacked by any of his clubs.

Bob Stokoe

TEAMFROMTOGAMESWONDRAWNLOST
Sunderland16 Apr, 198709 Jun, 19879324
Carlisle15 Oct, 198520 May, 19863313515
Carlisle01 Sep, 198031 May, 1985218795980
Rochdale20 Nov, 197901 Jun, 1980275715
Blackpool20 May, 197817 Aug, 19794618919
Bury01 Nov, 197701 May, 19783281311
Sunderland23 Nov, 197218 Oct, 1976175824548
Blackpool20 Dec, 197023 Nov, 197281292428
Carlisle01 Oct, 196820 Dec, 197098392930
Rochdale01 Oct, 196701 Oct, 196847131618
Charlton01 Aug, 196501 Sep, 196787252438
Bury01 Dec, 196101 Aug, 1965166603868

Nutty, you must be thinking of the wrong man.  He must be unbelievable having never been sacked during his whole managerial career.

Lol Slim!!

I told ''im it was a Columbo lookalike. Have they got another statue or is chuckle bob their all time hero???

Tin pot bluddy club[;)]