Sign in to follow this  
The Gunnpowder plot

Peter Wittingham

Unlike the other post which is purely speculation i have some facts regarding Peter Wittingham. The information comes direct from Cardiff football club

1) PW is available and the price they want is 5m

2) PW doesn''t want to leave Cardiff

3) Three clubs are in the hunt us, West Ham and WBA

4) No deal was near before the weekend

No need to get to excited on this one yet. Not sure where BW got his info

I''ve also heard that he doesn''t want to leave Cardiff, how true this is I don''t know, but if it is true then it begs the question of should we really be persuing a player who doesn''t have the hunger to play Premiership football with us?

I can see where you are coming from Alysha but doesn''t that show how a footballer simply cannot win sometimes. If players demand to leave club they are accused of being greedy and if they stay they are accused of lacking ambition.

Sometimes for one reason or another a player really enjoys being at a club. He is settled at Cardiff by the looks of things and they are progressing nicely under a very talented young manager. Darren Huckerby is meant to have turned down moves to Celtic and Liverpool amongst others while he was at Norwich. That did not make him any less ambitious or driven in my eyes.

[quote user="Jacko"]I can see where you are coming from Alysha but doesn''t that show how a footballer simply cannot win sometimes. If players demand to leave club they are accused of being greedy and if they stay they are accused of lacking ambition. Sometimes for one reason or another a player really enjoys being at a club. He is settled at Cardiff by the looks of things and they are progressing nicely under a very talented young manager. Darren Huckerby is meant to have turned down moves to Celtic and Liverpool amongst others while he was at Norwich. That did not make him any less ambitious or driven in my eyes.[/quote]

I completely agree with you, I wasn''t criticising Whittingham for having no ambition, I respect his loyalty. What I meant was that if it is true that Whittingham doesn''t want to leave Cardiff, than he is possibly not the right player for Norwich City; who knows the  truth though, he may just be trying to keep his club happy whilst behind close doors thinking that he would leave Cardiff if the right club and contract offer came along. A bit like Tierney saying he would never leave Colchester for Norwich City, after moving to us he admitted that obviously that statement was false but he didn''t want  to rock the boat at his current club.

Both good points. To be fair doesn''t that sort of person fit the ''Lambert Type''. Never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, works hard. loyal and maybe he will get the itch to prove himself at a higher level.

I wouldn''t be put off to much with that point.

[quote user="The Gunnpowder plot"]

Both good points. To be fair doesn''t that sort of person fit the ''Lambert Type''. Never in the headlines for the wrong reasons, works hard. loyal and maybe he will get the itch to prove himself at a higher level.

I wouldn''t be put off to much with that point.

[/quote]

A bit like the Andy Carroll saga not wanting to leave Newcastle, then on the day before he goes its said that he put in transfere request, The club then come out with "Well we never wanted to sell, but we didn''t want to stand in his way" and forced to let him go, keep the fans on your side, make the player to look the villan

I couldn''t agree more with both points Aylsha. If he is not interested in joining us it would clearly be a waste of time and effort pursuing him. Particularly as both of the essence during a transfer window. I still remember when a long time ago we were chasing after David Cotterill when he was supposedly the next big thing. His heart wasn''t really in it and he ended up joining Wigan right at the last. It made the club look a bit foolish and we had no time to find anyone else.

As you say with Tierney there are players who say things simply to keep the fans on side. Who can forget Alan "I will never play for Manchester United" Smith when he at Leeds.

But most of the time I think you can tell when a player wants to move on if possible. I thought the most telling example was Jordan Rhodes in that interview after his remarkable exploits in the Wycombe game. He was extremely respectful towards Huddersfield because of the opportunities they have given him. But he deflected most of the questions about whether he was staying. Which said it all for me.

Are we talking about the club or the area in Whittingham''s case?

It seems to me that players are peddled around the country like pawns these days due to a general increase in transfer activity  days and the way that the loan system has evolved.

Roots, families and friend have to be considered. Whittingham would probably want the chance of Premiership football and is probably aware that he would be a success. There must be other factors.

It''s difficult for these young men as the prospects of earning more money have to be weighed up against the uprooting involved. If it is the money then it may be more beneficial to his family in the long run if he opted for the former option.

I would love to see us sign him, and id imagine that if the right price was offered Malkay would recomend us ahead of West Ham or Brom. But thats the key, the right price in january for a settled and valued player at a club is always going to cost an arm and a leg. I think that any player would take the opputinity to step up, yet it speaks volumes when they arnt constantly in the press trying to force that move. Wittingham is keeping his head down and playing well for a good team... that for me makes him a very attractive prospect. There are still other alternatives I feel if we are looking for the creative midfielder role; Snodgrass, McGugan or even Kris Commons. Hopefully we might see the arrival of one of these to ''give the lads a hand'' as Lambert would say.

[quote user="birchfest"]I would love to see us sign him, and id imagine that if the right price was offered Malkay would recomend us ahead of West Ham or Brom. But thats the key, the right price in january for a settled and valued player at a club is always going to cost an arm and a leg. I think that any player would take the opputinity to step up, yet it speaks volumes when they arnt constantly in the press trying to force that move. Wittingham is keeping his head down and playing well for a good team... that for me makes him a very attractive prospect.

There are still other alternatives I feel if we are looking for the creative midfielder role; Snodgrass, McGugan or even Kris Commons. Hopefully we might see the arrival of one of these to ''give the lads a hand'' as Lambert would say.
[/quote]

Why would Malkey reccomend us, did you go to Vickerage road last season, my respect for him went out the window that night he showed then he owe''s us nothing.  

Things like the facilities, the area, the great support from the fans. He has more experience of what to expect than at brom or west ham.. I doubt he would want to sell to west ham due to their position in the league!

[quote user="pete_norw"]

[quote user="birchfest"]I would love to see us sign him, and id imagine that if the right price was offered Malkay would recomend us ahead of West Ham or Brom. But thats the key, the right price in january for a settled and valued player at a club is always going to cost an arm and a leg. I think that any player would take the opputinity to step up, yet it speaks volumes when they arnt constantly in the press trying to force that move. Wittingham is keeping his head down and playing well for a good team... that for me makes him a very attractive prospect.

There are still other alternatives I feel if we are looking for the creative midfielder role; Snodgrass, McGugan or even Kris Commons. Hopefully we might see the arrival of one of these to ''give the lads a hand'' as Lambert would say.
[/quote]

Why would Malkey reccomend us, did you go to Vickerage road last season, my respect for him went out the window that night he showed then he owe''s us nothing.  

[/quote]

What did he do?

£5m makes sense as they have previously rejected £3-4m bids.

I can''t see us paying that. If we did I''d rather it was on Snodgrass or Rhodes.

[quote user="alysha"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What did he do?

[/quote]

Nothing  any other manager wouldn''t do regarding the Multi ball system but he reallry milked the slowing down the time pluss he ranted od to the ref and tried to get Holt sent off

[quote user="pete_norw"][quote user="alysha"][quote user="pete_norw"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What did he do?

[/quote]

Nothing  any other manager wouldn''t do regarding the Multi ball system but he reallry milked the slowing down the time pluss he ranted od to the ref and tried to get Holt sent off

[/quote]

I can see where you''re coming from but I wouldn''t worry about that, if that''s his style in every other game then I wouldn''t expect him to change it because for us. At that time, his priority was getting a result for the club he was managing. If we ever happened to play one of Lambert''s clubs then I wouldn''t expect him to act any different; for example, if it was late in the game and we were searching for an equaliser or the winner and the ball went out of play and fell to Lambert and he showed no urgency to get the ball back like he normally does, I wouldn''t be too pleased.

He is a versatile player, playing midfield, wing or forward. That makes him ideal for us and good value at 4-5m IMO, rather than a limited Rhodes who is also unproven.

[quote user="paul moy"]He is a versatile player, playing midfield, wing or forward. That makes him ideal for us and good value at 4-5m IMO, rather than a limited Rhodes who is also unproven.[/quote]

Limited to scoring a bucketful load of goals.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="paul moy"]He is a versatile player, playing midfield, wing or forward. That makes him ideal for us and good value at 4-5m IMO, rather than a limited Rhodes who is also unproven.[/quote]

[/quote]Good point! Wouldn''t mind him coming...! Not limited at all imo... Just like Pilks and Bennett, an up and coming player, who would be a top signing!

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

..... in League 1 where incidentally even CM scored around 20.  Also, who would you drop out of Morison and Holt to play him ?  If Whittingham comes then at least it''s not so difficult to play him, and also he has played in the Prem before and is proven at a higher level than the ''limited'' Rhodes.     

Whittingham is definitely not limited. He has scored a lot of goals from the wing. He adapted very well last season moving into the central midfield role to accommodate Bellamy on the left wing. He is also a pretty handy set piece taker. This isn''t bad for someone limited

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZsgXUVtYqM&feature=related

Isn''t Whittingham left sided? We already have Surman and Pilkington who play there. Hoolahan, Johnson, Bennett (if he switches sides) and Lappin can all play there as well. Im sure all this is just rumours but there''s no getting away from the fact we need a top quality centre mid!

If we''re sticking to the diamond he''s really strong competition for Surman as it requires players with movement & passing ability due to the lack of width.

If we''re to play with width, he''s also an option out-wide although he''s not especially quick.

Anybody who scores & creates as many goals as he does in the Championship, deserves a chance at this level.

That last point you made Trent is exactly why he is the type of player we should be looking at, his goal scoring record at Championship level is excellent, 50 goals in about 200 games for Cardiff is a pretty good return for a wide man. At 27 and with Cardiff seemingly a good Championship team but never good enough to get promoted, I think if we were to bid for him (as much as he loves Cardiff) he would be very tempted by Premiership football.

Mirror website says West Brom have bid £4 million for Whittingham , Swansea have won the race to loan McEachran (sp) from Chelsea and Mark Hughes will get a £30 million transfer budget .