Sign in to follow this  
Bryangunnshairline

who is the best footballer you have seen play in the flesh?

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Mohamed Nagy Ismail, aka "Gedo" (which, funnily enough, is the Egyptian word for a canary).[/quote]

Oh boy then Joanna dear, it must be written in the stars. Our ''star'' January signing will be none other than Gedooooooo.......a cock canary no doubt ,,,,,,now where did you see him ''in the flesh'', eh?

So the strategy can be discerned................... we should prepare a hearty welcome to Carrow Road for the first of Paul Lambert''s North African ballers ''with something to prove''. And all just in time to give the lads a hand.

Master stroke.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Mohamed Nagy Ismail, aka "Gedo" (which, funnily enough, is the Egyptian word for a canary).[/quote]

Oh boy then Joanna dear, it must be written in the stars. Our ''star'' January signing will be none other than Gedooooooo.......a cock canary no doubt ,,,,,,now where did you see him ''in the flesh'', eh?

So the strategy can be discerned................... we should prepare a hearty welcome to Carrow Road for the first of Paul Lambert''s North African ballers ''with something to prove''. And all just in time to give the lads a hand.

Master stroke.

OTBC

OTBC

It has got to be George Best when you consider what he did with the ball on the sort of pitches that he used to play on not the pristine keep off the grass pitches the players have today I can remember back in the 70''s he was playing for man utd reserves against coventry city reserves on a midweek night game and over 10,000 fans turned up at the old Highfield Road ground because he was playing (I guess coventry dont get that much now to see the first team )

Obviously the OP mean''t apart from Fozzy, otherwise this thread would just be full of him, what a legendary footballer he was.

If the question was changed to who is the most cocky arrogant, idiotic but annoying talented footballer you have seen play in the flesh, the answer would be Gareth Bale, he''s more arrogant than Ronaldo, and keeps getting his ego fed by Redknapp.

Two individual performances for me Darren Huckerby Vs Cardiff when he really was unplayable and almost won the game single handedly - I''m not from the "Huckerby is God" camp and was disappointed we bought him instead of Crouch at the time.

The other was Stevie Gerard last time we were in the Premiership Liverpool were awfull but this man played almost on his own that day.

Ive seen Best, Gascoigne, Bergchamp,Henry etc but these are the 2 performances that really stand out

And just for the record the worst individual performance was Dickson Ethu''s debut for us Vs Preston the harder he tried the worse it got ending in him breaking one of the Preston''s players leg.

Tough one this between Best, Eusebio and Cruyff, all of whom could win games on their own. On the basis of doing it over an extended period I''d go for Cruyff.

In no particular order:

Pele

George Best

Bobby Moore

Eusebio

All at Fulham in the 70''s, however since I saw the light

Dale Gordon

Darren Eadie

Darren Huckerby

Dean Ashton

all D''s but not Dean Coney

I saw the Milan European Cup winning side of 1969, and they had two great players in Rivera (who could thread a pass almost as well as Tommy Bryceland) and Hamrin. For the most good players on show in one game, England''s 1966 World Cup game against Portugal. Augusto, Coluna and Eusebio; Banks, Moore, Peters and (sort of) Bobby Charlton. From that lot, Banks is the best keeper I expect to see; ditto Moore as a defender. I guess Moore would get my vote, then. Just.

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

Two individual performances for me Darren Huckerby Vs Cardiff when he really was unplayable and almost won the game single handedly - I''m not from the "Huckerby is God" camp and was disappointed we bought him instead of Crouch at the time.

The other was Stevie Gerard last time we were in the Premiership Liverpool were awfull but this man played almost on his own that day.

Ive seen Best, Gascoigne, Bergchamp,Henry etc but these are the 2 performances that really stand out

And just for the record the worst individual performance was Dickson Ethu''s debut for us Vs Preston the harder he tried the worse it got ending in him breaking one of the Preston''s players leg.

[/quote] agree with the Huckerby comment. He was without doubt unplayable that day

in the flesh...

Messi (Barca v Racing Santanter). Lets face it, the things he does no one has ever been able to do. The best player ever IMO, and that includes Pele, Maradonna, Cryuff, Best, etc.

and a close second...

Zindane (Real v Celta Vigo)

Best British player I''ve seen (seen him many times)...

Gascoigne...a pure footballer...so natural.

Bergkamp or Cantona for me in the flesh. On TV Messi with out any hesitation at all best player of our generation possibly ever.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]in the flesh... Messi (Barca v Racing Santanter). Lets face it, the things he does no one has ever been able to do. The best player ever IMO, and that includes Pele, Maradonna, Cryuff, Best, etc. and a close second... Zindane (Real v Celta Vigo) Best British player I''ve seen (seen him many times)... Gascoigne...a pure footballer...so natural.[/quote]

Gascoigne is a bit like to football what Ronnie O''Sullivan is to snooker.  Both amazing natural talents and both could have been more successful had they had more focus a better temprament and more self control.  This applies more so to Gazza than O''Sullivan.

I know that in all walks of life often with an amazing natural talent comes a quirk or a fault or faults, but had Gazza been a bit more like Messi in terms of his focus, etc, then who knows where his career would have taken him?[:^)]

The greatest player I have seen "in the flesh" must be Puskás, whom I met in a Turkish bath in Budapest a few years ago. He wore nothing but an apron, (as I did). Well over 60, he was extremely overweight, but very cheerful Otherwise it is Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who could not match Hungary''s defense on the day.

Thought David Silva was pretty good against us earlier in season and probably is best player in premier league this season at the moment.

Saw Bergkamp also a few years ago and also Klinsmann.

But For sheer skill against us I remember Georgi Kinkladze tormenting us something rotten at Maine Road for Man City slaloming through our defence. I ''m not sure if we won the game though.

so many, Gazza, Cantona, Daglish, Keegan, Rush, Barnes, Fashanu, Klinsman, Lineker, Best, Bobby Charlton.....we tend to go with strikers & wingers as they are more exciting.... but been some cracking defenders & midfielders Moore, Hansen, Jackie Charlton, Adams, Bruce. For me its a close run thing between Bobby Charlton & Georgie Best!!!!

Without a shadow of a doubt Denis Bergkampwas lucky enough to see him play 4 times at Carrow Road (including for Inter Milan)forget your messi''s and your Ronaldos, Bergkamp showed us all how it could be done, fitness, a great first touch and the ability to score from anywhere.he could also read a game better than any other player i have seen. if you needed someone there, Denis would be.Its no coincidence that Arsenal have failed to win a single trophy since the master left.

Due to not having been to a ridiculous amount of games, my results will have to be thus:-British - Matthew Le TissierForeign - Pierre van HooijdonkThere''s a couple of new names for the list! [:D]

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Without a shadow of a doubt Denis Bergkampwas lucky enough to see him play 4 times at Carrow Road (including for Inter Milan)forget your messi''s and your Ronaldos, Bergkamp showed us all how it could be done, fitness, a great first touch and the ability to score from anywhere.he could also read a game better than any other player i have seen. if you needed someone there, Denis would be.Its no coincidence that Arsenal have failed to win a single trophy since the master left.[/quote]

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]The greatest player I have seen "in the flesh" must be Puskás, whom I met in a Turkish bath in Budapest a few years ago. He wore nothing but an apron, (as I did). Well over 60, he was extremely overweight, but very cheerful Otherwise it is Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who could not match Hungary''s defense on the day.

[/quote]Ah, but he wasn''t playing at the time..... or did that apron come in handy ?  [;)]'' Best '' player I''ve seen was George. That was the same time that LDC on here saw him at Craven Cottage in the mid-1970''s. Rodney Marsh was in the same side. Sadly by that time the bottle had a firm hold but he was still far and away the most skilful player on the pitch.I was really looking forward to seeing him a couple of years earlier when Man Utd rolled into Carrow Rd with Bobby Charlton, Ted MacDougall, et al. Unfortunately Georgie boy had been spotted out on the lash earlier that week and manager Frank O''Farrell dropped him.  They still won 2-0.The b*stards....... ( Frank, George and Man Utd ) 

George Best, Denis Law & Bobby Charlton - Old Trafford, FA Cup 2-1 Norwich, goals from Don Heath and Gordon Bolland and a fantastic goalkeeping display from one Kevein Keelan (the best keeper I have ever seen, including Banks & Shilton)