Sign in to follow this  
Hannibal

Ground development

Been a fair bit of talk on here for a while about the possible avenues for development of Carrow Road. I was talking to a member of the board recently and the subject came up about how the ground would be developed should we remain in the prem. He made a some very interesting points most notable i thought was the club would invest in a second tier of the jarrold stand adding 4k to the capacity before developing the city stand. The reasons given were quiet well thought out in my opinion these we''re the re-location of season ticket holders from the city stand when being developed, maintaining the highest possible attendance and of course price. Apparently its relatively cheap to add the second tier as all the foundations have been laid in the original build. When the city stand finally get face lift the nice raised flower bed will disappear from behind the city stand to allow. a stand the same size as the Jarrold to be built this would give us a capacity of 37''000 and a very smart stadium.

Another thing he told me was for the Spurs game the club had 35''000 applications for tickets given we have 20''000 season ticket holders we could of easily filled a 55''000 seater stadium. This was also roughly the same for Arsenal. and i would assume will be for Chelsea, Man u, Man city and Liverpool. Exciting times ahead should we stay up i would think.  

Thanks for the info. It all looks like good news and the information on the Spurs match was amazing particularly as it was a televised game.  

[quote user="Hannibal"]

Been a fair bit of talk on here for a while about the possible avenues for development of Carrow Road. I was talking to a member of the board recently and the subject came up about how the ground would be developed should we remain in the prem. He made a some very interesting points most notable i thought was the club would invest in a second tier of the jarrold stand adding 4k to the capacity before developing the city stand. The reasons given were quiet well thought out in my opinion these we''re the re-location of season ticket holders from the city stand when being developed, maintaining the highest possible attendance and of course price. Apparently its relatively cheap to add the second tier as all the foundations have been laid in the original build. When the city stand finally get face lift the nice raised flower bed will disappear from behind the city stand to allow. a stand the same size as the Jarrold to be built this would give us a capacity of 37''000 and a very smart stadium.

Another thing he told me was for the Spurs game the club had 35''000 applications for tickets given we have 20''000 season ticket holders we could of easily filled a 55''000 seater stadium. This was also roughly the same for Arsenal. and i would assume will be for Chelsea, Man u, Man city and Liverpool. Exciting times ahead should we stay up i would think.  

[/quote]

Surely not. I did see a McNally tweet that we could have filled a 35,000-capacity ground for that game. But not 35,000 on top of the 20,000. That simply isn''t believable.

I''d like to know of the many extra 1000s trying to get tickets.  How many of them were local thickos who support the glamour teams expecting to be able to buy a home ticket and support the way team.This is my only concern with a ground expansion, you''ll end up with loads of away supporters in the home sections.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Thanks for the info. It all looks like good news and the information on the Spurs match was amazing particularly as it was a televised game.  
[/quote]

Indeed although i have to say i doubt all the applications came from City fans. As to the empy seats the club do have a catchment area cover 1.5 million people and if you have a team worth watch people will come.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Hannibal"]

[/quote]

Surely not. I did see a McNally tweet that we could have filled a 35,000-capacity ground for that game. But not 35,000 on top of the 20,000. That simply isn''t believable.

[/quote]

But there will still be people that moan if we did get this done because they would have to increase S/T prices, some people want something for nothing,

" if we did get this done because they would have to increase S/T prices,"err, rather the oppositethe more seats the lower the price - you cannot simply up the price because of what you are spending, that''s one of the reasons the club are not rushing into this and will continue to raise the ticket price until they reach the optimum position of maximum price against maximum ''occupancy''One of the dangers of projecting seating development against a one off game is that it is just that - a one off game. The Spurs game was our ''Boxing Day'' games, always busy for many reasons. This one was Spurs who undountedly have numerous fans now living in Norfolk. Wigan at home in February will not be the same, as will about half the other home games.Lumbering the club with long term debt, that is with us irrespective of what league we are in or the state of football attendances overall, is far, far more risky than simply adjusting the price to meet demand. That adjustment can be altered at the tap of a keyboard, a loan cannot. That''s why long term commitments, be they only player contracts, have crippled so many clubs as the are unable to adjust their outgoings when their income adjusts dramatically.I wouldn''t expect any major ground development for somewhile yet.

No major development work has been planned for 2012 or the following season. There is however plans to add more seats in the summer no idea where or how just know that the usual 4 weeks worth of games on Carrow Road for local teams and hospitality games once the season ends has been cut down to two weeks to allow for this.

["Hannibal"]

Very interesting Hannibal!

I''ve always scoffed at those who''ve gone on about the Jarold stand not having foundations and/or it isn''t possible to put a 2nd tier on top of it!

I know for a fact that a 2nd tier can be added to the Jarold stand regardless of foundations being there or not and also know that nearly everyone including those supporters who think their in the know with the board and employees of the club wouldn''t know the exact ins and outs of our great club - This has been even more aparent after messrs Mcnally and Lambert came into the club as these two guys keep their cards close to their chests!

I''ve said before that it would make more sense to build a Jarold stand upper tier before building a completely new City stand (the City stand has foundations for a 2nd tier but the board think it would be better to build a completely new stand with better facilities than the present 1980''s version!) because the present capacity can be maintained when putting a 2nd tier on the Jarold!

Lets hope we manage 3 seasons in the Premiership so the ground developments can be done!

Many people still underestimate the potential support of the club, no doubt blinkered by the "Little ole Norwich" stereotype. I know we had 50,000 applications for tickets when we played Inter Milan back in 1993, we could of averaged over 30,000 last time we were in the Premiership and if our gorund would have been big enough we''d of had more than a few 30,000+ crowds over the previous 2 seasons including our one season stint in the 3rd Division!

I still struggle to sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, when it comes to the Jarrold Stand.  How do you ''know for a fact'' that the Jarrold can support a second tier?I would assume that building another tier on top of the current Jarrold would lead to more problems than just when to stick it on top.  Whilst it kind of makes sense as the City Stand faithful can be moved into their once the top tier is complete, surely there are more things to think about.  The cantilever roof would need to be removed, which would surely put the foundations at risk, as well as this, the stand is linked to the corner infill with the River End.  Would removing the top off the Jarrold put this structure at risk as well?It seems to me that fiddling with the Jarrold would cause more problems that it''s worth, but I''m no architect, I might be completely wrong.  It just seems to be far more complex (more £££) than knocking down a stand which has no bearing on the structural integrity of the rest of the stadium.

The existing Jarold stand may already have foundations for a new upper tier, many say yes, many say no!

A Jarold stand upper tier could be built with its own foundations as this is what happened at Glasgow Rangers Ibrox main when the 1928  built had its roof taken of a new 3rd tier and roof added in the early 1990''s. This would be more expensive than building an upper tier using existing foundations!

Whilst a difficult process I''m sure the roof of the Jarold main stand can be taken down without effecting the roof of the Aviva community stand. Afterall the corner infill was completed a year after the Jarold main stand was being built!

All these structural issues will no doubt be sorted out by qualified architects when the time comes!

It would effectively look like this (east stand at Leeds) If you removed the top tier this would look very similar to our Jarrold stand.

[quote user="Hannibal"]

It would effectively look like this (east stand at Leeds) If you removed the top tier this would look very similar to our Jarrold stand.

[/quote]

Is that the top tier that is always empty?