Sign in to follow this  
canarycol

REFRESHMENTS ON SATURDAY WEST BROMWICH

I know this has already been discussed but i don.t think this has been mentioned there is a morrisons store about 300 yards from the hawthorns football ground which has a good restaurant with some good food on offer for those who may like a bite to eat when they get there although I am not sure what their policy is on visiting football fans I guess if you are not loud and upsetting normal customers it should be ok I have been here a few times as i live quite near they do have a large car park as well will post a link here for you to look at

http://www.morrisons.co.uk/store-finder/Store-Details/?recordid=470

hope this is helpful

looking forward to seeing us beat the baggies

as far as someone mentioning the Royal Oak pub on holyhead road it would not be first choice of pub at all last time i was there the toilets had not been cleaned and the pan was full of the brown stuff there isnt any real good pubs that I know around the ground at all apart from the vine things may have changed at the Royal Oak but I thought I would mention it

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]

Is the royal oak the usual drinking pub before games?

[/quote]

When you leave that pub don''t forget to say ''goodnight sweetheart''.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"]

Is the royal oak the usual drinking pub before games?

[/quote]

Yes I''m afraid so the first bar as you enter the pub is quite small that,s why everyone stands outside drinking most of the pubs along the Soho road from Birmingham leading onto Holyhead road where the royal oak pub is are Asian run as it is a ethnic area

I''m going on Saturday but not sure where I''ll be drinking beforehand - I might go with the Vine.

[Below has been taken from footballgroundsguide.com]

There are no pubs for away fans that are particularly close to the ground. Huw Morris, a West Brom fan, recommends ''The Vine'' which is about a 15-20 minute walk from the ground. From Junction 1 of the M5 turn left towards West Bromwich town centre (opposite direction to the ground). Take the first left into Roebuck Street. The Vine is down on the left. You can also street park in this area and walk to the ground. This pub also does Indian food and has an indoor tandoori barbeque (from 1pm on Saturdays), plus has a beer garden with children''s play area. Barbara Osborne a visiting Newcastle United fan adds; ''The Vine from the outside looked like any small corner boozer, but inside it was quite large and it was fairly easy to get served. It had a good mix of home and away fans.''

Dave Wilson recommends; ''The Park Hotel which is just off junction one of the M5 and a 10 minute walk to the ground. You can park on their car park for £5 and away fans are always welcome. There are plenty of families who meet in here before games and it is a very safe environment. There is also plenty of street parking in and around the area of the hotel if you don''t want to pay the £5.''

Sean Mowat a visiting Sheffield United supporter adds; ''As you pass the ground on the right on the main Birmingham Road. Carry on about another half a mile and there is a pub on the right set back off the road called the Royal Oak. We''ve been in the last two times we''ve visited WBA. The beer is okay and they also serve Asian food (try the chicken kebabs!). It had a friendly atmosphere''.

If travelling by Metro or train from Birmingham Snow Hill and you like your real ale, then it may be a good idea to stop off on the way to the Hawthorns at the Jewellery Quarter station. Within a 10 minute walk of the station are at least four pubs serving decent real ale. These are the Rose Villa Tavern, Brown Lion, Red Lion and Lord Clifden. The Red Lion and Lord Clifden are both listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, whilst the Brown Lion has recently opened and is effectively the brewery tap for the local Two Towers Brewery. See the Google map below for their locations (this will require you to use the arrows to move the map down and then to the to show the Jewellery Quarter and pubs).

Alcohol is also available within the ground, albeit in plastic/cans, in the form of Carlsberg, Tetleys and Strongbow (all at £3.60), plus red and white wine, Smirnoff Ice, and various spirit minatures (all at £3.80).

[quote user="kick it off"]I''m going on Saturday but not sure where I''ll be drinking beforehand - I might go with the Vine.

[Below has been taken from footballgroundsguide.com]

There are no pubs for away fans that are particularly close to the ground. Huw Morris, a West Brom fan, recommends ''The Vine'' which is about a 15-20 minute walk from the ground. From Junction 1 of the M5 turn left towards West Bromwich town centre (opposite direction to the ground). Take the first left into Roebuck Street. The Vine is down on the left. You can also street park in this area and walk to the ground. This pub also does Indian food and has an indoor tandoori barbeque (from 1pm on Saturdays), plus has a beer garden with children''s play area. Barbara Osborne a visiting Newcastle United fan adds; ''The Vine from the outside looked like any small corner boozer, but inside it was quite large and it was fairly easy to get served. It had a good mix of home and away fans.''

Dave Wilson recommends; ''The Park Hotel which is just off junction one of the M5 and a 10 minute walk to the ground. You can park on their car park for £5 and away fans are always welcome. There are plenty of families who meet in here before games and it is a very safe environment. There is also plenty of street parking in and around the area of the hotel if you don''t want to pay the £5.''

Sean Mowat a visiting Sheffield United supporter adds; ''As you pass the ground on the right on the main Birmingham Road. Carry on about another half a mile and there is a pub on the right set back off the road called the Royal Oak. We''ve been in the last two times we''ve visited WBA. The beer is okay and they also serve Asian food (try the chicken kebabs!). It had a friendly atmosphere''.

If travelling by Metro or train from Birmingham Snow Hill and you like your real ale, then it may be a good idea to stop off on the way to the Hawthorns at the Jewellery Quarter station. Within a 10 minute walk of the station are at least four pubs serving decent real ale. These are the Rose Villa Tavern, Brown Lion, Red Lion and Lord Clifden. The Red Lion and Lord Clifden are both listed in the CAMRA Good Beer Guide, whilst the Brown Lion has recently opened and is effectively the brewery tap for the local Two Towers Brewery. See the Google map below for their locations (this will require you to use the arrows to move the map down and then to the to show the Jewellery Quarter and pubs).

Alcohol is also available within the ground, albeit in plastic/cans, in the form of Carlsberg, Tetleys and Strongbow (all at £3.60), plus red and white wine, Smirnoff Ice, and various spirit minatures (all at £3.80).[/quote]

Just sent a text to a mate who is a baggies fan he is a season ticket holder in the Smethwick end next to the visiting supporters he said quote if he was me he would go to a pub in Oldbury or somewhere a couple of miles from the ground he said he would not drink in west Brom if he was a visiting supporter think I will have some tinnies before I set out then have some at the ground

[quote user="canarycol"]I know this has already been discussed but i don.t think this has been mentioned there is a morrisons store about 300 yards from the hawthorns football ground which has a good restaurant with some good food on offer for those who may like a bite to eat when they get there although I am not sure what their policy is on visiting football fans I guess if you are not loud and upsetting normal customers it should be ok I have been here a few times as i live quite near they do have a large car park as well will post a link here for you to look at

hope this is helpful

as far as someone mentioning the Royal Oak pub on holyhead road it would not be first choice of pub at all last time i was there the toilets had not been cleaned and the pan was full of the brown stuff there isnt any real good pubs that I know around the ground at all apart from the vine things may have changed at the Royal Oak but I thought I would mention it[/quote]

UPDATE

Just paid a visit to the store and spoke to the management there about football fans using the restaurant they are happy to cater for fans but not coach parties there is some nice food for sale most priced at around £4.49 however they do sell all day breakfast and the special today was hotpot and chips at around £2.50 there are fresh sandwiches for sale which cannot be taken into the restaurant The car park has restrictions of 1 1/2 hours on match day so it is for the use of customers only they pointed that out to me the toilet facilities are very clean and to the left as you go in through the main doors past the customer services desk further along to the left is the restaurant I tried to look at the royal oak pub but they was closed they do not open till midday they do have sky live football apparently as it is advertised outside

[quote user="canarycol"][quote user="canarycol"]I know this has already been discussed but i don.t think this has been mentioned there is a morrisons store about 300 yards from the hawthorns football ground which has a good restaurant with some good food on offer for those who may like a bite to eat when they get there although I am not sure what their policy is on visiting football fans I guess if you are not loud and upsetting normal customers it should be ok I have been here a few times as i live quite near they do have a large car park as well will post a link here for you to look at

hope this is helpful

as far as someone mentioning the Royal Oak pub on holyhead road it would not be first choice of pub at all last time i was there the toilets had not been cleaned and the pan was full of the brown stuff there isnt any real good pubs that I know around the ground at all apart from the vine things may have changed at the Royal Oak but I thought I would mention it[/quote]

UPDATE

Just paid a visit to the store and spoke to the management there about football fans using the restaurant they are happy to cater for fans but not coach parties there is some nice food for sale most priced at around £4.49 however they do sell all day breakfast and the special today was hotpot and chips at around £2.50 there are fresh sandwiches for sale which cannot be taken into the restaurant The car park has restrictions of 1 1/2 hours on match day so it is for the use of customers only they pointed that out to me the toilet facilities are very clean and to the left as you go in through the main doors past the customer services desk further along to the left is the restaurant I tried to look at the royal oak pub but they was closed they do not open till midday they do have sky live football apparently as it is advertised outside[/quote]Don''t know whether to laugh or cry!

why is that matt ? they really do not cater for visiting fans up here they are pretty much backwards in West Bromwich as far as hospitality goes I''m afraid even my mate who is a baggies fan reckons there is nothing for visiting fans really I have been trying to let the folks know who have never been to West Bromwich before what they have here so at least they have something to head for oh yes they got the usual burger bars along the Birmingham road and Mcdonalds across from the main gates

[quote user="Matt Juler"][quote user="canarycol"][quote user="canarycol"]I know this has already been discussed but i don.t think this has been mentioned there is a morrisons store about 300 yards from the hawthorns football ground which has a good restaurant with some good food on offer for those who may like a bite to eat when they get there although I am not sure what their policy is on visiting football fans I guess if you are not loud and upsetting normal customers it should be ok I have been here a few times as i live quite near they do have a large car park as well will post a link here for you to look at

hope this is helpful

UPDATE

Just paid a visit to the store and spoke to the management there about football fans using the restaurant they are happy to cater for fans but not coach parties there is some nice food for sale most priced at around £4.49 however they do sell all day breakfast and the special today was hotpot and chips at around £2.50 there are fresh sandwiches for sale which cannot be taken into the restaurant The car park has restrictions of 1 1/2 hours on match day so it is for the use of customers only they pointed that out to me the toilet facilities are very clean and to the left as you go in through the main doors past the customer services desk further along to the left is the restaurant I tried to look at the royal oak pub but they was closed they do not open till midday they do have sky live football apparently as it is advertised outside[/quote]Don''t know whether to laugh or cry![/quote]HAHA I know, it''s a blooming Morrisons, we''re not from the dark ages canarycol, we all know what the Morrisons restaurant offers.  Especially as there is one next to FCR.Good effort for asking though.  I doubt very much that they would turn anyone away, business is business as far as they''ll be concerned.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I believe that a number of us are heading for The Vine in Roebuck Street. Apparently they do good beer, good food and it''s friendly.

http://www.thevine.co.uk/

[/quote]Ah, but do they do a nice Chateauneuf du pape or De Ligny Chablis?

[quote user="1eed5canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

I believe that a number of us are heading for The Vine in Roebuck Street. Apparently they do good beer, good food and it''s friendly.

[/quote]

Ah, but do they do a nice Chateauneuf du pape or De Ligny Chablis?[/quote]

I would imagine the fact that it''s called The Vine is what attracted  Beaus in the first place buddy.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

The Vine is run entirely by Asians and serves Indian food and i have just been told by Her Indoors that we are going out tonight for an Indian so i have placed a toilet roll in the fridge for use on Sunday.[:''(]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1eed5canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

Ah, but do they do a nice Chateauneuf du pape or De Ligny Chablis?[/quote]

I would imagine the fact that it''s called The Vine is what attracted  Beaus in the first place buddy.

I''m disappointed to learn that they have no Chateau Musar or Cloudy Bay. May have to rethink.

[/quote]