Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Grant Holt

No, not another stupid transfer rumour, but a rather good article about him in The Daily Mail (of all places):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086391/The-Incredible-Holt-Ex-tyre-fitter-putting-skids-elite.html?

I liked the bit about him rolling around on the floor having mock fights with his team mates; sums up his attitude I feel - loves a scrap, but there''s no malice or hatred. Ultimately it''s all a game.

Not the most flattering of pictures.But then again i am sure we all have a few like that hidden somewhere.

Cheers Ron[Y]

[quote user="ron obvious"]No, not another stupid transfer rumour, but a rather good article about him in The Daily Mail (of all places): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086391/The-Incredible-Holt-Ex-tyre-fitter-putting-skids-elite.html? I liked the bit about him rolling around on the floor having mock fights with his team mates; sums up his attitude I feel - loves a scrap, but there''s no malice or hatred. Ultimately it''s all a game.[/quote]

As you say, that was a very good read, who would have thought the daily mail would have written that  

Get him here on a cheeky loan deal.Get his head on the end of a Fox cross.Him,Holt and Mori.Magic[:D]

Great to find out that it was the ST holders paying full price matched by Foulger that meant we were able to get him in - First Huckerby, then Holt. Two absolute legends the fans have paid for, money well spent, everyone who didn''t take a rebate should be proud to have contributed to our meteoric rise.

This time there would be no more

backwards steps as the then Norwich City manager Bryan Gunn signed him

for his recently relegated side.

''When I saw him for Shrewsbury, his striker partner had been sent off and he dominated the back four on his own,'' said Gunn.

''There were a few clubs after him, including Colchester, whose manager was Paul Lambert.

''The

main reason we were able to afford him was that lots of fans were

prepared not to take a price cut in their season tickets when we were

relegated, with director Michael Foulger saying he would match whatever

the difference was for the transfer kitty that summer.''

Three cheers for the sheep!

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]Time for a Hot Dog Grant Holt song.
[/quote]

To the Black Lace / Trainline advert tune:

Chew, chew, chew. Come on, let’s all eat a hot dog. Chew-chew-chew.

That man across the floor. You-you-you. Come on and and eat a hot dog.

Chew-chew-chew. It’s Holty time for sure!

[quote user="ron obvious"]No, not another stupid transfer rumour, but a rather good article about him in The Daily Mail (of all places):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2086391/The-Incredible-Holt-Ex-tyre-fitter-putting-skids-elite.html?

I liked the bit about him rolling around on the floor having mock fights with his team mates; sums up his attitude I feel - loves a scrap, but there''s no malice or hatred. Ultimately it''s all a game.[/quote]

"the Daily Mail of all places" ? Why do you say that ? Do you have secret information that the Mail''s sports reporters are signed up members of the BNP and that Grant Holt is a left wing Guardian reader ? Are you the same bloke who pronounced with authority on another thread that Lambert is driven by a "a fear of failure "? Fear of failure is debilitating, it suffocates ambition and causes indecision, uncertainty and inaction. That doesn''t fit with my view of Lambert. IMO he is driven by ambition and the desire for success and fear of failure don''t enter his mind. On the other hand, if you weren''t the poster who said that PL was driven by fear of failure , I aplogise.

[quote user="Al Catraz"][quote user="ron obvious"]No, not another stupid transfer rumour, but a rather good article about him in The Daily Mail (of all places):

I liked the bit about him rolling around on the floor having mock fights with his team mates; sums up his attitude I feel - loves a scrap, but there''s no malice or hatred. Ultimately it''s all a game.[/quote]

"the Daily Mail of all places" ? Why do you say that ? Do you have secret information that the Mail''s sports reporters are signed up members of the BNP and that Grant Holt is a left wing Guardian reader ? Are you the same bloke who pronounced with authority on another thread that Lambert is driven by a "a fear of failure "? Fear of failure is debilitating, it suffocates ambition and causes indecision, uncertainty and inaction. That doesn''t fit with my view of Lambert. IMO he is driven by ambition and the desire for success and fear of failure don''t enter his mind. On the other hand, if you weren''t the poster who said that PL was driven by fear of failure , I aplogise.[/quote]You may be thinking of this...http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city-fc/norwich_boss_lambert_driven_to_succeed_1_833863The "Fear of failure" bit appears to be thrown in by the journo as Lambert doesn''t mention it himself.  Which is ironic and/or crap journalism.As is the following quote:

"Lambert, speaking on the latest edition of the Football League’s

podcast series, has no doubt City’s squad possess the moral fibre to

last the course this season."

I presume this means we''ll stay up because our players would hand in a lost wallet and not cheat on their wives.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]Time for a Hot Dog Grant Holt song.
[/quote]

To the Black Lace / Trainline advert tune:

Chew, chew, chew. Come on, let’s all eat a hot dog. Chew-chew-chew.

That man across the floor. You-you-you. Come on and and eat a hot dog.

Chew-chew-chew. It’s Holty time for sure!

[/quote]

Well done again today Holty! Grab yourself an extra hot dog and feel free to drop in anytime for extra mustard! :-)

From Al Catraz:

"the Daily Mail of all places" ? Why do you say that ?

Because I''ve never seen an article like that in the DM before. They''re usually pretty mainstream & bland.

Are you the same bloke who pronounced with authority on another thread that Lambert is driven by a "a fear of failure "? Fear of failure is debilitating, it suffocates ambition and causes indecision, uncertainty and inaction. That doesn''t fit with my view of Lambert. IMO he is driven by ambition and the desire for success and fear of failure don''t enter his mind

That probably was me. Although I never pronounce with authority; most of my opinions are hedged around with qualifiers, because I don''t believe anything is certain.

Anyway my answer is: not necessarily. Different people react to fear in different ways. Some people go around wringing their hands & crying "woe is me!". Some become irrationally aggressive. And some, like Lambert, try to rationally find a way to minimise those fears.

Many of his interviews contain a reference to how precarious football management is. He seems to feel extremely lucky to be where he is. He knows the line between success & failure can be incredibly thin.

Some managers have egos so big that failure, so far as they are concerned, is impossible. If they lose, it must be for somebody else''s fault, because it can never, ever be down to them (can it Colin).

Every interview I''ve seen supports this. He knows he''s all too fallible, knows you''re only as good as your last match, that some fans will turn on you in the blink of an eye, BUT he is determined, stubborn & ambitious, & learns with every game.

He is a brilliant, brilliant manager & a perfect fit for the sort of club we are.

Interesting to read Paul Lambert was trying to sign him!! How different things may have been!

Grant Holt - take a bow for that assist today!!You make a great left winger!!

I definitely remember that Col U were in for Grant when we got him. Odd thing is that had he gone there IMO the chances are he''d still be in league one and still regarded as a good lower league player who couldn''t step up, whereas with us he has become a fans favourite, talismanic top flight striker and proven all his critics wrong. It''s just as well we came in for him, for all parties...Gunn''s best signing by far, perhaps the best signing we''ve made since Hucks.

A lot of his success has to go down to Hoolahan, and at the time Chris Martin as well. They made a lot of goals for each other the last few years!