Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Lovely to see Malky Mackay doing so well

2 points off the Championship lead, and in the Carling Cup semi finals. Not bad when you look at the number of changes made to the squad over the summer.  Maybe he''d be a contender if and when PL decides it''s time for something new.

Chris Martin hasn''t set the world on fire down there, struggling to get games. He needs to turn it on if he wants a future at Norwich!

Malky was a fantastic servant for the club and a hero in his time here...He got a good reception last season with Watford. I dont have a 2nd team but i like to follow Malkys progress and he is proving himself as an astute manager capable of bigger things...When Lambo eventually leaves the replacement is already waiting...

While it''s good to see Malky doing well as a manager, I don''t see him as a future Norwich manager.   I am not sure why, but maybe its because I think the relationship between him and the club has been spoiled - because of the way he left the club.       It feels as if  the club did not do right when they sold him - should have kept him on imo.        Therefore, I think - would he want to come back to a club that treated him like they did?  I don''t think he would feel very positive about coming back here with the memory of the way his premiership playing dream was taken away.   I am a Malky fan and wish him well, but I don''t see Norwich as one of his future clubs............I could be wrong of course. 

[quote user="lake district canary"]

While it''s good to see Malky doing well as a manager, I don''t see him as a future Norwich manager.   I am not sure why, but maybe its because I think the relationship between him and the club has been spoiled - because of the way he left the club.       It feels as if  the club did not do right when they sold him - should have kept him on imo.        Therefore, I think - would he want to come back to a club that treated him like they did?  I don''t think he would feel very positive about coming back here with the memory of the way his premiership playing dream was taken away.   I am a Malky fan and wish him well, but I don''t see Norwich as one of his future clubs............I could be wrong of course.

[/quote]Malky is a Pro-Footballer and as such, I am pretty sure that he can put his exit from the club into perspective, as can I; after all it was the manager at the time and not the club who initiated the sale. Worthy, rightly or wrongly (in my opinion wrongly) felt that Malky would not be able to cut it in the Prem. I believe breaking up the defensive partnership of Flem and malky cost us our Prem status.

Great servant and I agree that it''s nice to see him doing so well.Don''t want him back here as manager though as we''ve had enough of Delia''s ''old boys'' to last a lifetime. When the great Paul Lambert decides to move on it will need new blood to fill his very, very large shoes.

When the great Paul Lambert decides to move on it will need new blood to fill his very, very large shoes.

Do you remember the Liverpool Boot Room cluck ? of the 60s / 70s / 80s ? Probably better than me I''d guess. Managers leaving, the men under him moving up a step to the top job ?

I''d suggest that should the unthinkable happen, that possibly we might be able to start a new tradition here ?

[quote user="A semi-retired Purist."] When the great Paul Lambert decides to move on it will need new blood to fill his very, very large shoes.[/quote]Sounds like we''ll need a clown.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="A semi-retired Purist."] When the great Paul Lambert decides to move on it will need new blood to fill his very, very large shoes.[/quote]Sounds like we''ll need a clown.[/quote]Peter Grant''s the man then.Cometh the hour.. cometh the clown.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]When the great Paul Lambert decides to move on it will need new blood to fill his very, very large shoes.

Do you remember the Liverpool Boot Room cluck ? of the 60s / 70s / 80s ? Probably better than me I''d guess. Managers leaving, the men under him moving up a step to the top job ?

I''d suggest that should the unthinkable happen, that possibly we might be able to start a new tradition here ?[/quote]Slight delusions of grandeur here I think blah....One lucky strike doesn''t equal a legacy.

[quote user="A semi-retired Purist."]Great servant and I agree that it''s nice to see him doing so well.Don''t want him back here as manager though as we''ve had enough of Delia''s ''old boys'' to last a lifetime. .[/quote]

Are you restricting that comment to players who have served whilst Delia has been in charge - or do you include any former player such as David Stringer for instance?

And give me Holt-signing-Gunn over loan-maniac Roeder any day. Lambert could just do a Ferguson - and be here years hence.

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="A semi-retired Purist."]Great servant and I agree that it''s nice to see him doing so well.Don''t want him back here as manager though as we''ve had enough of Delia''s ''old boys'' to last a lifetime. .[/quote]

Are you restricting that comment to players who have served whilst Delia has been in charge - or do you include any former player such as David Stringer for instance?

And give me Holt-signing-Gunn over loan-maniac Roeder any day. Lambert could just do a Ferguson - and be here years hence.[/quote]Errr... David Stringer inherited the effort of those who preceded him. Nice fellow but as a stand alone manager he was a nowhere man... later to become an insider ''yes'' man.Gunn over Roeder? Cluching at straws there a bit aren''t you?Having had the Anfield ''boot room'' quoted and now Ferguson... I think it''s feet on the ground time for some on here.

[quote user="A. Purist."] 

Errr... David Stringer inherited the effort of those who preceded him. Nice fellow but as a stand alone manager he was a nowhere man... later to become an insider ''yes'' man.

[/quote]

That''s a bit harsh on David Stringer isn''t it?   All managers inherit the efforts of those that preceded them.   Stringer took it on and refined a style that was the talk of the football world.    Carried on the momentum that led to the Walker era - he couldn''t have done what he did without the continuity  and work that Stringer did.   As I say....a bit harsh imo.

"Having had the Anfield ''boot room'' quoted and now Ferguson... I think it''s feet on the ground time for some on here."

I''m surprised I had to simplify for you Cluck - do you think Culverhouse would do a good job should Lambert leave ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"Having had the Anfield ''boot room'' quoted and now Ferguson... I think it''s feet on the ground time for some on here."

I''m surprised I had to simplify for you Cluck - do you think Culverhouse would do a good job should Lambert leave ?[/quote]Mr. Purist from now on please. Simplification doesn''t alter the fact that Culverhouse will follow Lambert. He knows which side his bread is buttered and will not take the job on for the same reasons as Lambert will leave.It will be a poisoned chalice for whoever takes the job on next.

"Mr. Purist from now on please."

Sorry Cluck.

So it''s Mr. Purist from now on Cluck. Right you are

Cluck.

Sometimes people prefer to move out from the shadows. Sometimes the bigger wage can be persuasive. Let''s hope we don''t have to find out for a long time.

"It will be a poisoned chalice for whoever takes the job on next."

Well of course it would ! You big clucking drama queen... ;)

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"Mr. Purist from now on please."

Sorry Cluck.

So it''s Mr. Purist from now on Cluck. Right you are

Cluck.

Sometimes people prefer to move out from the shadows. Sometimes the bigger wage can be persuasive. Let''s hope we don''t have to find out for a long time.

"It will be a poisoned chalice for whoever takes the job on next."

Well of course it would ! You big clucking drama queen... ;)[/quote]Only time will tell re Lambert... Like Bowen I think Culverhouse is a number two... and he is very good at it. It is a role that suits some individuals and stepping up to the big job and being successful is pretty rare.

Come on Cluck, you''re falling into the trap of saying the only reason Lambert would ever leave Norwich is because the owners that you despise and loathe so much wouldn''t have backed him.

Never mind him being offered a job somewhere, one day, where he could achieve things as a Manager which he could never do at Norwich.

Win the Premier League, the Champions League. Thats something we''re never going to do, even if your Mr/Ms Utopia comes along and gives the club all it wants in terms of ££££ and then some-apart from anything else, UEFA''s Fair Play rules would stop that from happening in that manner anyway.

Lets say down the line he is offered the job as Manager of Liverpool, Man Utd...or, slightly looking downscale, a Newcastle or an Everton?

If he accepts are you going to say "he''s left because the owners won''t back him"?

Probably.

You want the club to have ambition, fair do''s, we all do, but it has to be realistic. Lambert has ambitions as well and good for him. So you could hardly blame him for moving on in an attempt to realise them, knowing full well that logistics, common sense and reality dictate that he can never achieve them at Norwich. Not "lack of ambition". If you think he can, then explain why, I''d love to know.

You''re desperate for him to leave the club aren''t you, hungrily hanging onto every little hint and sign, eager to stoke up the fires and assume the "told you all along" mantra. Can''t wait. Gagging for it infact.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Come on Cluck, you''re falling into the trap of saying the only reason Lambert would ever leave Norwich is because the owners that you despise and loathe so much wouldn''t have backed him.

Never mind him being offered a job somewhere, one day, where he could achieve things as a Manager which he could never do at Norwich.

Win the Premier League, the Champions League. Thats something we''re never going to do, even if your Mr/Ms Utopia comes along and gives the club all it wants in terms of ££££ and then some-apart from anything else, UEFA''s Fair Play rules would stop that from happening in that manner anyway.

Lets say down the line he is offered the job as Manager of Liverpool, Man Utd...or, slightly looking downscale, a Newcastle or an Everton?

If he accepts are you going to say "he''s left because the owners won''t back him"?

Probably.

You want the club to have ambition, fair do''s, we all do, but it has to be realistic. Lambert has ambitions as well and good for him. So you could hardly blame him for moving on in an attempt to realise them, knowing full well that logistics, common sense and reality dictate that he can never achieve them at Norwich. Not "lack of ambition". If you think he can, then explain why, I''d love to know.

You''re desperate for him to leave the club aren''t you, hungrily hanging onto every little hint and sign, eager to stoke up the fires and assume the "told you all along" mantra. Can''t wait. Gagging for it infact.

[/quote]Great post [Y]Could also be added (replacing "Cluck" for "Wizard") to the "Lambert looked p*ssed off" thread.

I''m simply suggesting that alluding to the Anfield ''boot room'' and Ferguson at Old Trafford is wide of the mark. We are what we are and I''ve followed City for much longer out of the top flight than in it.Paul Lambert is that ''once in a lifetime'' manager and teamed with Culverhouse they are the dream team for many bigger and more ambitious clubs.I repeat what I said earlier... if the great Robert Chase is such a ''pariah'' for apparently losing NCFC the services of Martin O''Neill over Windass, then surely Smith should carry the same burden for not fully backing Lambert? The starstruck Deliarites can''t have it both ways.

Chase a pariah? Another interesting take on the past. Have you never been able to appreciate anyone who has helped make the clubs history? Do you always concentrate on the things that go wrong? bet you''re a barrel of kaughs down in Kimmeridge[Y]

[quote user="Mike Hunt"]

As the OP said it''s great to see Malky doing so well as a manager.

[/quote]

Indeed it is. And Malky must now be amongst the top 20 British managers. We should be proud of our association with him. That association may not be over either. Who knows.

Lambert has already been at the club for nearly 2 and a half years.

He has won us a Championship and taken us to the Premier League in consecutive seasons.

He has been given money to spend.

O''Neill left in a hissy fit after only a few months in the job. But he did buy Matthew Rush, cheers Martin! He didn''t have to walk away, he could have rolled up his sleeves and "made do what what we''ve got", just as Lambert is prepared to do now. Lambert-realist, O''Neill-fantasist. But no, he didn''t get what he wanted and walked away, using the issue with Windass as an excuse tyo walk when there were other issues relating to his wanting to leave the club at the time, ones he didn''t cite, but which are there in his biography!

There is no comparison what-so-ever between Chase and O''Neill and Smith/Jones and Lambert. Zero. You can look under as many rocks as you like, in as many dark and forboding places as you like, but you will not find anything that draws a parallel between the two scenarios as hard as you look and you will not be able to create one either.

Come on Cluck, you are catastrophising big time.

And please stop making a hero out of Robert Chase. He wasn''t one, neither was he, I will add, total villian. Simply a man whose pockets were not deep enough as the game grew out of his, and all of his other fellow ''traditional'' Chairmen at the time either-much like it is doing now with Delia and Michael. You can''t champion him for being in the same situation then as D and M are now.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Lambert has already been at the club for nearly 2 and a half years.

He has won us a Championship and taken us to the Premier League in consecutive seasons.

He has been given money to spend.

O''Neill left in a hissy fit after only a few months in the job. But he did buy Matthew Rush, cheers Martin! He didn''t have to walk away, he could have rolled up his sleeves and "made do what what we''ve got", just as Lambert is prepared to do now. Lambert-realist, O''Neill-fantasist. But no, he didn''t get what he wanted and walked away, using the issue with Windass as an excuse tyo walk when there were other issues relating to his wanting to leave the club at the time, ones he didn''t cite, but which are there in his biography!

There is no comparison what-so-ever between Chase and O''Neill and Smith/Jones and Lambert. Zero. You can look under as many rocks as you like, in as many dark and forboding places as you like, but you will not find anything that draws a parallel between the two scenarios as hard as you look and you will not be able to create one either.

Come on Cluck, you are catastrophising big time.

And please stop making a hero out of Robert Chase. He wasn''t one, neither was he, I will add, total villian. Simply a man whose pockets were not deep enough as the game grew out of his, and all of his other fellow ''traditional'' Chairmen at the time either-much like it is doing now with Delia and Michael. You can''t champion him for being in the same situation then as D and M are now.

[/quote]If Smith fails to back Paul Lambert then it will be exactly the same as when Robert Chase apparently failed to back O''Neill. That is the myth perpetuated by many on here anyway (mostly based on hearsay) and all part of the passed down anti-Chase conspiracy. He may not be a hero to you... but he is and always will remain so to me, based on many great years for NCFC and the arrival of players to Carrow Road Lambert can only dream about.The difference only comes when Smith reached the obvious (and laughable) limitations of her ability she simply got lucky... plus the contrived, dumbed down ''family'' support gave her the benefit of the doubt. Whose to say RC wouldn''t have turned things around given the same situation?Their luck will run out in due course and strip away the candy floss... the core of NCFC is no different to the one that saw us drop down to Division Three for the first time in 50 years.