Sign in to follow this  
Barclaybred

BLACKPOOL.8/1/11.BURNLEY 8/1/2010..

Both were well away from bottom 3 at this stage..

Especially Blackpool,10th with 25pts(following week 28 pts)..

So this worried me until i checked the pts difference between them and bottom 3...

Blackpool was only 5 pts and Burnley in jan 2010(who were 14th) was only 2  pts clear of bottom 3...

So compared to our cushion of 9 pts ,i now feel more confident we could be staying up! :):):)

We have so many difficult home games coming up that a slump is almost certainly on the cards , a lot will depend on how the teams below perform and at the moment i am just worried that the likes of Bolton,Wigan and even Blackburn will somehow get out of it and Qpr who were begining to look a good bet to drop will almost certainly improve now . Going to be a lot closer than i think many people believe , looking at the table 9th appears a million miles away from the drop zone but 2 or 3 bad results on the bounce and you can be right back in the mire , roll on those 40 points, the sooner the better.

The difference between Blackpool, Burnley and NCFC is........

Paul Lambert.... Simples!!

The lower points total of the bottom three is worth noting,as many of the terminally dim have been wettung themselves in their squeaks that we will need 40 or more points to achieve the coveted 17th spot (cue angels singing).Their points total is around 3/4 points lower this year, which doesn''t sound much but as a percentage it is around a quarter less than last season.Our target has to be staying as high as we are as a minimum, there''s too much prize money at stake to ease off once we''ve reached the ''safe'' total by late February.

Our team doens''t begine with B so we are fine. Blackburn and Bolton both to go down statistically and alphabetically. It shows year on year more teams begining with B get relegated.

10-11 - Birmingham & Blackpool

09-10 - Burnley

And apart from Newcastle we are the only team that starts with a N to go down in the past ten years... so less teams that start with N get relegated, and for that reason we won''t go down..... I think that makes sence

The ponit is,when i knew Blackpool`s position and points tally this time last year,i was initially worried(as they went down),but further examination,i noticed the gap from the bottom 3 to them points wise,was almost half what we have!

Also the so called hard run in we have...Havent we been to Man utd/Chelsea/Man city/Liverpool already and i would guess some of the teams lower than us still have to go to these places in their run in? .....

I`m not saying we will stay up,all im saying is we have a good chance! (A spurs mate pointed out blackpool were 7/1 to go down last jan as he had a wagwer on them..we are 15/2.when i chacked last week,and are in a stronger position than they were having 9 pts cushion to their 5 :):):)

Lump on then mate nothing like getting behind  your team and sticking a ton on them getting relegated hey ;)

I guess it would be win win though. stay up happy go down made a few quid.

Personally i never bet on Norwich its bad enough sometimes when no money is involved.

"but 2 or 3 bad results on the bounce and you can be right back in the mire"

errr, noit would require those already in the mire to win those 2 or 3 games to catch up, something they have struggled half of the season to dothey would also be playing 1 or 2 of those games against teams that are below us therefore those teams would have to lose pointsthe 40 point mark is a handy round figure for those of exceedingly limited intellect mind you having said that the same lot were warning us that we would struggle to stay in the play offs this time last year....some even adding that it might be too early for us to get promoted !

Blackpool and Burnley were both promoted via the play offs. If I remember rightly Blackpool were only the 6th best side in the Champs and Burnley the 5th. The more comparable clubs from those seasons are Newcastle, WBA, Wolves and Birmingham. But none of them were relegated which can be the only reason they are not used for comparison[|-)]

[;)]

Interesting point somebody made about Blackburn, Wigan and Bolton are likely to improve in the second part of the season. Bolton will lose their talisman in Gary Cahill, Blackburn will probably lose Chris Samba and Hoilett, two players whom without they would be more than 3 points adrift in the bottom 3.

The OP does however make an excellent point, it''s not about how many points we have, it''s about how many points we are away from the bottom 3! As it stands it makes for healthy reading, and I am certain the likes of Blackburn and Bolton will continue to struggle.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Blackpool and Burnley were both promoted via the play offs. If I remember rightly Blackpool were only the 6th best side in the Champs and Burnley the 5th. The more comparable clubs from those seasons are Newcastle, WBA, Wolves and Birmingham. But none of them were relegated which can be the only reason they are not used for comparison[|-)]

[;)]

[/quote]

Last time i checked Birmingham are near enough propping up the Chump not the kind of role model i would want to emulate.

We are 9 points off the top 6 and 9 points from the bottom 3. Why not look upwards and dream rather than looking down worrying.

[quote user="Hannibal"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[;)]

[/quote]

Last time i checked Birmingham are near enough propping up the Chump not the kind of role model i would want to emulate.

[/quote]

Not the season they were promoted Han. That season they finished 9th which seems a fine role model to me. Let''s not start worrying about next season already or we''ll never enjoy the ride.

[quote user="City1st"]The lower points total of the bottom three is worth noting,as many of the terminally dim have been wettung themselves in their squeaks that we will need 40 or more points to achieve the coveted 17th spot (cue angels singing).

Their points total is around 3/4 points lower this year, which doesn''t sound much but as a percentage it is around a quarter less than last season.

Our target has to be staying as high as we are as a minimum, there''s too much prize money at stake to ease off once we''ve reached the ''safe'' total by late February.

[/quote]

Has anyone on this message-board actually ever suggested we should ease off[|-)] once we''ve reached some notionally safe total? Plainly if we are harbouring defeatists[W] like that then they should be taken outside and shot.[8o|] I''m just a touch dubious that anyone is actually thinking on those lines. Any evidence at all anyone is?

Blimey it''s purple, so in simple words yesfor many of the ''not too bright'' our target has been 17ththerefore they have conjured up some mythical figure .... 40 pointsthey have also bleated about how the ''run in'' may cause this target to be not metmany have also added that as 17th is acceptable (our target)

ps do keep up old chap

[quote user="City1st"]Blimey it''s purple, so in simple words

yes

for many of the ''not too bright'' our target has been 17th

therefore they have conjured up some mythical figure .... 40 points

they have also bleated about how the ''run in'' may cause this target to be not met

many have also added that as 17th is acceptable (our target)

ps do keep up old chap

[/quote]

None of which was the question I posed. Which is, has anyone here ever suggested easing off once we''ve reached some notional "safety" number of points? You raised this concept  ("There''s too much prize money at stake to ease off once we''ve reached the ''safe'' total by late February.")  as a supposed example of posters'' stupidity. I was asking for examples of posters who''ve suggested this easing-off. So they can get the punishment their treachery deserves.

I love your jewelled insults, City1st, I really do. I think we all do. The trouble is, dazzled as I am usually by their linguistic brilliance, just occasionally I manage to rub enough brain cells to realise that they are a way of covering up a certain lack of logic and an avoidance of the question. As here.

Statistically the team finishing 2nd in Championship survive more often than winners or play off winners.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="City1st"]Blimey it''s purple, so in simple words

yes

for many of the ''not too bright'' our target has been 17th

therefore they have conjured up some mythical figure .... 40 points

they have also bleated about how the ''run in'' may cause this target to be not met

many have also added that as 17th is acceptable (our target)

ps do keep up old chap

[/quote]

None of which was the question I posed. Which is, has anyone here ever suggested easing off once we''ve reached some notional "safety" number of points? You raised this concept  ("There''s too much prize money at stake to ease off once we''ve reached the ''safe'' total by late February.")  as a supposed example of posters'' stupidity. I was asking for examples of posters who''ve suggested this easing-off. So they can get the punishment their treachery deserves.

I love your jewelled insults, City1st, I really do. I think we all do. The trouble is, dazzled as I am usually by their linguistic brilliance, just occasionally I manage to rub enough brain cells to realise that they are a way of covering up a certain lack of logic and an avoidance of the question. As here.

[/quote]

That''s a little unfair Purple. City1st doesn''t "cover up" his lack of logic. On the contrary, I''ve found that he usually demonstrates that it''s right out there in the open. [:D]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

That''s a little unfair Purple. City1st doesn''t "cover up" his lack of logic. On the contrary, I''ve found that he usually demonstrates that it''s right out there in the open. [:D]

[/quote]

Indeed, Yankee. the much-treasured City1st is to constructing a logical argument as I am to understanding sub-atomic particle physics. But as my old Estonian grandmother used to say:

"One of those things that may drive a thinker into despair is the recognition of the fact that the illogical is necessary for man, and that out of the illogical comes much that is good."

Or was it Friedrich Nietzsche? Actually my grandmother did look a bit like Nietzsche, now I think about it. One of the two anyway.[;)]

In City 1st''s defence (although I know he is quite capable of defending himself),  since the start of the season there has been an underlying focus on 17th place as if it was the height of our expectations.   Many posters, statisticians, pundits etc were saying there was no way we could hope for anything more and will be lucky if we can make that.

Some with a more positive outlook, including myself and City 1st. have been saying all along that the aim for the season should be as high as we can make it and not to place any restrictuons on where we could end up.

At the end of the day, staying in the division is paramount and 17th would be an achievement,  but the history of the club over the last two years has given us no reason to think that we would not be able to compete and maybe do better.  For some of us who do not regard the premiership as being some mythical wonder league that the media would have you believe is the case,  we have the view that a team like ours with the kind of manager we have could do more than just make up the numbers.    So far so good,  we''ve done great and although the season is not over - most negative posters and those obsessed with relegation have - for the moment had to bite their tongues.  

Stats and comparisons work for some people, but the rest of us would rather take a view based on what is actually happening now rather than what has happened to other completely different clubs in different situations in different years, and what may or may not happen in 4 months time.     

I hope this post doesn''t sound stuck up (I suspect it might) but there was alot of frustration at the start of the season when I was being shouted down for being positive about our prospects.     Avoiding relegation is a key target, but should not be or never should be an overall aim.  The aim should be - as City 1st. says - to finish as high as possible...........  

Those who are of an age ,such as myself who remember what I would term Norwich''s "golden years" from 1986-1995 , our longest continuous stretch in the top flight, will recall many a time during those 9 seasons where Norwich would have been mid-table around about this time (invariably just coming out of the then traditional "bad Christmas") but I don''t recall the blind panic over relegation then.......and nor do I believe there should be now??

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Those who are of an age ,such as myself who remember what I would term Norwich''s "golden years" from 1986-1995 , our longest continuous stretch in the top flight, will recall many a time during those 9 seasons where Norwich would have been mid-table around about this time (invariably just coming out of the then traditional "bad Christmas") but I don''t recall the blind panic over relegation then.......and nor do I believe there should be now??[/quote]

I agree - the only real difference is that the financial stakes are higher these days in the premiership, but if you can look beyond that we should be able to relax and enjoy watching our team and excellent manager and see where it takes us.     If the worst did happen any season and we were relegated, then we cope with that when the time comes.  Hopefully, though, that will not be an issue and we can enjoy watching our club as an established member of the top league.    The obsession with relegation is perpetuated by the media and too many people get sucked into that way of thinking.   At the end of the day if your club is set up right and has the right strategy - you will do well.  If your a club that gets relegated, then - to be blunt - you probably deserved it.  

The essence of how I want to watch us play in this division is without fear - not worrying about relegation all the time. It''s supposed to be enjoyable!