Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Leon BARNETT

[quote user="BW"]He wants to leave for reg football i believe[/quote]

And what gives you reason to believe that?

heard some stuff about him and lambert not getting on since he was dropped and that he''s tried to engineer a way out. Maybe why he wasn''t on the bench?

It was posted on here the other day apparently he said he wants out. Can''t see him starting ahead of Ayala and Whitbread at the moment to be fair.

If this is true and not just scuttlebutt, then, Barnett better be careful as he might just find himself back playing in the Championship or worse League 1. He certainly will not get a game with another PL team and I would suggest that the best thing on offer would be the Championship.

Again if this is true, why wouldn''t you want to be a back-up in an up and coming PL squad rather than the best alternative, a Championship team. If I was Barnett, I would be knuckling down and trying to fix my defensive error rate than creating drama, again, if this story is accurate.

He travelled down with the squad. Could just be a fitness thing, or Lambo felt that Russ M could do a job at centre-back if needed. Naughts switches to right-back, Drury comes on at the left.

All about most useful player on the bench.

But Naughton and Benny were both talking about playing monopoly with him on the way down. So he was there!

[quote user="Supermarket Prodigy"]He travelled down with the squad. Could just be a fitness thing, or Lambo felt that Russ M could do a job at centre-back if needed. Naughts switches to right-back, Drury comes on at the left. All about most useful player on the bench. But Naughton and Benny were both talking about playing monopoly with him on the way down. So he was there![/quote]

This, it seemed very logical to me that Barnett wasn''t on the bench.

[quote user="Oz Canary"]BW, is this from another source and just reading the tea leaves from the late night cuppa.[/quote]

No I think it came from the "pundit" who called Andrew Surman a lightweight who couldn''t cope with the Premiership.

It''s not complicated. As others have alluded to, he wasn''t on the bench because he''s currently our fourth-choice fit CB behind Ayala, Whitbread and Martin.

Lambert has more faith in Drury coming in at LB (and switching Naughton/Martin around) than throwing Barnett in at the moment.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Barnett plus cash for Rhodes! Happening soon.  Exciting times!!![/quote]Don''t do that, you''ll get people excited

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Barnett plus cash for Rhodes! Happening soon.  Exciting times!!![/quote]I dont believe for one minute Barnett would drop to League One level

I wouldn''t say it was harsh at all. He had his chance to stamp his authority on the first eleven with out injuries, and he didn''t up his game like others have. I wouldn''t be too sorry for see the block go.

I don''t think we can afford to lose Barnett yet. An injury at this stage would see him figuring on the bench. The interesting situation will be what happens when Ward is fully fit. If he favours Ward over Barnett (which I would because of Ward''s distribution), to compete for that right sided central defensive berth with Ayala then I think he may want to move on.

He can definitely do a very solid job for someone in the championship and if he were to leave I am sure there would be a lot of takers at the correct price. He will not need to drop down to League 1 level.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Barnett plus cash for Rhodes! Happening soon.  Exciting times!!![/quote]

Swapping a CB for the spiky -haired TV celebrity chef , eh ?  Clearly Delia has got big plans for Gary in the Carrow Rd restaurant

My opinion is this; he isnt currently the best CB at the club and frankly he has to work hard and get back into the managers plans. He needed to cut out the mistakes and improve the qaulity of his passing out from the back. He has featured in Lamberts plans and so Lambert has shown faith, but now he needs to get his head down and work for that place. If its true and hes not happy with being left out then frankly he can leave, you make the 11 on the performances not on what has or hasnt happened in previous seasons.

With Ward due to return in a few weeks, and de Laet also, it could be that Barnett will feel that he is slipping down the order, and with Martin and even Drury having show wat they do, it could be that Barnett''s greatest virtue, - his speed, will not be enough to overconme his weakness of losing concentration.

I think Barnett has been a bit unlucky to be honest. We''ve been no more tight defensively without him - we still give away soft/sloppy goals.

He''s stronger defensively than Ayala but weaker with the ball. However, I think Ayala is an investment Lambert will feel he needs to stand by and I think he''ll be given a lot of time to get it right.

But Lambert always says "we need everybody" so I''m sure Barnett will have a part of play before this season is out.

It''s obvious that in terms of numebrs, Norwich have a couple of centre backs too many. Ayala was brought in to cover Ward''s injury and then Russell Martin discovered he can also play centre back. Including the injured Ward and De Laet we have 6 players who can play in 2 centre back positions - this isn''t really sustainable and someone will have to move on. De Laet will probably be kept on loan due to his adapability and can play anywhere across the back line (it might also not be possible to send him back to Man U, depends what was written into the loan agreement).

Barnett has had a good chance in the team and for what ever reason Lambert appears to have lost a little faith in him - I think one of the main reasons Norwich have looked more solid recently is having an unchanged back line for a few games.

Whenever a team gets promoted from the Champ to the PL, usually a reasonable number of players are retained to give them "a chance to prove themselves at a higher level" . There is always at least one in that group of players for whom the the vast gulf between the two divisions is cruelly exposed. Leon Barnett has had the misfortune of being that player in the NCFC class of 2011-2 . Whether that is down to bad luck, lack of ability, lack of application, is difficult to say. One thing he certainly can''t complain of is lack of opportunity .

I do fear that Barnett is indeed one of those players for whom regular PL football is a step too far . I''m sure he can do a job for us on an occasional basis, but can a club like Norwich afford that sort of luxury ?  Also, we have to caution against pinning hopes on the return of Ward. It''s easy to forget he''s yet to kick a ball in the Prem, so we''ll have to wait and see on that one.