Sign in to follow this  
Houston Canary

What does "Baggies" even mean?

I am hoping someone can enlighten me as to the nickname for WBA.  As far as I know, baggies are used for keeping sandwiches fresh but that''s not something to name a team after is it?  Thanks ahead of time for any help with this.

From the Wikipedia article on WBA"Baggies" nickname

Although known in their early days as "The Throstles", the club''s more popular nickname among supporters came to be The Baggies,

a term which the club itself looked down upon for many years but later

embraced. The phrase was first heard at The Hawthorns in the 1900s, but

its exact origins are uncertain. One suggestion is that the name was bestowed on Albion supporters by their rivals at Aston Villa,

because of the large baggy trousers that many Albion fans wore at work

to protect themselves from molten iron in the factories and foundries of

the Black Country Club historian Tony Matthews however suggests that it derives from the

"bagmen", who carried the club''s matchday takings in big leather bags

from the turnstiles to the cash office on the halfway line. Other theories relate to the baggy shorts worn by various players during the club''s early years. The official club mascots are named Baggie Bird and Albi; both are based on the throstle depicted on the club crest.

Let me wiki that for you...

Although known in their early days as "The Throstles", the club''s more popular nickname among supporters came to be The Baggies, a term which the club itself looked down upon for many years but later embraced. The phrase was first heard at The Hawthorns in the 1900s, but its exact origins are uncertain.[85] One suggestion is that the name was bestowed on Albion supporters by their rivals at Aston Villa, because of the large baggy trousers that many Albion fans wore at work to protect themselves from molten iron in the factories and foundries of the Black Country.[86] Club historian Tony Matthews however suggests that it derives from the "bagmen", who carried the club''s matchday takings in big leather bags from the turnstiles to the cash office on the halfway line.[87] Other theories relate to the baggy shorts worn by various players during the club''s early years.[85][87] The official club mascots are named Baggie Bird and Albi; both are based on the throstle depicted on the club crest.[

Cool, thanks.  I like the steel worker version best. The one about carrying money sounds contrived and not something that would be peculiar to one team if that really is what they did. Baggy shorts makes sense too.

This from my Baggies season ticket holding mate...

"ignore the bollocks about wearing the baggy shorts.. everyone did that. Its becaise the turnstile used to carry the takings across the pitch at halftime in bags.. and were called the Bag men. The name kept on I guess!"

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This from my Baggies season ticket holding mate...

"ignore the bollocks about wearing the baggy shorts.. everyone did that. Its becaise the turnstile used to carry the takings across the pitch at halftime in bags.. and were called the Bag men. The name kept on I guess!"[/quote]Didn''t everyone put takings in some sort of bag too?  As opposed to hats, used tights, empty bean tins, an elephant''s ball bag....

According to ''baggies.com'' there are several reasons:

A corruption of ''Magee'' - a popular full back in the 20''s. Unlikely, since Baggies was in use in the 1900''s

The name of protective trousers factory workers used in the area

From supporters who took bags (baggies) round to local pubs to save the club from extinction in 1905

When the club was nearly bankrupt in the 1900''s, a number of the larger players left to have not only their shoes, but their kit filled by smaller players. ''Spotting their voluminous drawers, a wag in the crowd is supposed to have shouted ''up the Baggies''.. the rest is history

Former club secretary Eph Smith gave his explanation in a Throstle Club News as going back to 1904 and a stocky back known as Amos Adams. ''His thickness of hips made his baggy pants look even more huge, and one day when he was not playing well, a fan shouted ''Baggy''. Albion and Adams recovered quickly, the name stuck.''

It first appeared in the 1970''s glam rock era when West Brom were sponsored by Tesco. You''ll notice the WBA home kit bears a startling resemblance to a Tesco carrier bag and even though the shirt is much more generously cut these days the nickname appears to have stuck.[img]http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/130/879c27316d1244b2abc9183a6ee0ca1f/l.jpg[/img]

Houston and J.C. - I think you''re missing the point that the "bagmen" had to walk across the pitch at half time to take the money from the turnstiles to the cash office. Yes obviously every other club had to carry their money in bags, but you never saw them walking across the pitch at half time in full view of everyone with all the takings.

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"]Houston and J.C. - I think you''re missing the point that the "bagmen" had to walk across the pitch at half time to take the money from the turnstiles to the cash office. Yes obviously every other club had to carry their money in bags, but you never saw them walking across the pitch at half time in full view of everyone with all the takings.[/quote]Therefore if they weren''t lazy sods and walked around the edge of the pitch they may have been called something else.[:D]

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"][quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"]Houston and J.C. - I think you''re missing the point that the "bagmen" had to walk across the pitch at half time to take the money from the turnstiles to the cash office. Yes obviously every other club had to carry their money in bags, but you never saw them walking across the pitch at half time in full view of everyone with all the takings.[/quote]Therefore if they weren''t lazy sods and walked around the edge of the pitch they may have been called something else.[:D] [/quote]

The "Edgers" because they never quite crossed the line :)

HAH!!! That one was gold, fellowyellow. I liked JC''s response about them being lazy, too. Regarding that, crossing the pitch with the money would be about the safest thing to do since they''d be in clear view of thousands of witnesses. And if it was crossing the pitch that made them different from the other teams, I think the bag part of the story seems kind of a minor point and therefore not a serious reason for naming them Baggies.  The Pitchcrossers or some derivitive of that would make more sense for that story to sound legit.

As you are trying to learn English, Houston. And just incase you ever get to come to a match in England here are some additional points to consider.

In all seater stadium you should not tell anyone standing up and blocking your view to ''sit their fanny down.''

If you find yourself in the Cathedral Lounge and notice the other fellows are wearing moleskin or corduroy trousers please refrain from complementing them on their pants.

And finally, when verbally abusing an official, opposition player or manager do not accuse them of ''sucking'' as this might induce opinions amongst those within earshot that you are merely a slighted admirer rather than a passionate fan.

For further research might I recommend ''Rogers Profanisaurus.''

and p*ssed means drunkand it is problem, not ishoooooooooo - as in ''Houston we have a problem''