Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Palace want to keep Martin + Martin wants to stay!

Er, no?

“I’m just looking to do the best in the time I’m here and then go from there.

“At the minute I’m just looking at it purely as a loan deal.

“I’m first and foremost here to help Palace out and see if we can push and be as high up in the league as possible and obviously push myself on and hopefully I can go back to Norwich where I’m contracted and push on from there.”

[quote user="a1canary"]Er, no? “I’m just looking to do the best in the time I’m here and then go from there. “At the minute I’m just looking at it purely as a loan deal. “I’m first and foremost here to help Palace out and see if we can push and be as high up in the league as possible and obviously push myself on and hopefully I can go back to Norwich where I’m contracted and push on from there.”[/quote]

Err yes!

He''s a very good player at Championship level and was last season when we promotion, contrary to a few opinions on here.

Whether he can come back and force his way into the side I''m not sure. He''s technically very good and a good finisher around the box but not as physically strong as Holt/Morison, nowhere near as quick as Jackson & I''m not sure he is as quick as Morison.

He seems to be playing in behind the striker at the moment. More experience playing in that position and perhaps he''ll be ready to play there, here at Norwich.

5 starts 4 sub appearances = 2 Goals. Chris Martin is 23 years old now and as much as we would love to see another local boy come good, he hasn''t really set the championship alight for Palace and seems to hold up rumours of him being a bit of a difficult character. If (when) we cement ourselves in the premier league for next season, you''d like to think Lambert will have a bit more money and will be able to attract some higher quality players. If Palace want him I think we should strike while the iron is hot...

OTBC

norfolkbroadslim - Just for clarification, when you say Martin wants to stay do you mean at Palace or Norwich?

If Palace, then i haven''t a clue how you got that from the link provided (?)

Very true Huckerbysmallet!

The only Norwich fans who go on about him being a great prospect are those blinkered by the fact hes local and came through our academy!

He did a fine job for us in League 1 (the highest League in which Martin will be a stand out performer) and done a good steady squad players job last season in the Championship but the club has moved to areas (the Premiership to be precise!) beyond his abilities.

Crystal Palace would be a very good move for Martin and we can still get a reasonable fee for him!

[quote user="a1canary"]Er, no?

“ hopefully I can go back to Norwich where I’m contracted and push on from there.”[/quote]Dont see how you can get the fact that he wants to stay there when it says that in the article!

[quote user="Lincs Canary"][quote user="a1canary"]Er, no?

“ hopefully I can go back to Norwich where I’m contracted and push on from there.”[/quote]Dont see how you can get the fact that he wants to stay there when it says that in the article! [/quote]I think he means stay at Norwich.

Certainly from the article it looks as though he is thinking about coming back here in the summer and seeing whether he can work his way into the team or not.

But if he wants to go and play first team football in the league below, then I''ve not got a problem with that. He''s getting to the stage of his career now where he should want to be playing regularly.

''All'' he has to do is find some consistency. He has all the physical attributes to be as good as he wants to be but i think that''s part of his problem. He knows it and can''t seem to square that fact with the mental side of the game. But i still have faith and still think we should hang on to him. I do think he has more talent than Jackson but his attitude and application are a million miles from Jacko.

Jacksons got very quick pace something Chris Martin hasn''t got + more of a goalmouth predator and better atitude!

Remember Chris Martin for all his good bits - good half season as a teenager, great League 1 campaign and played a  reasonable part in last seasons proceedings!

Good League 1 player, average at best, Championship player.

Norwich City have moved on from Chris Martin, I suggest some of the fans should as well!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Jacksons got very quick pace something Chris Martin hasn''t got + more of a goalmouth predator and better atitude!

Remember Chris Martin for all his good bits - good half season as a teenager, great League 1 campaign and played a  reasonable part in last seasons proceedings!

Good League 1 player, average at best, Championship player.

Norwich City have moved on from Chris Martin, I suggest some of the fans should as well!

[/quote]Unfortuantly i completely agree. the club has moved past C martin''s level. We should be looking to add to our strikeforce next season to carry on improving, and unfortuantly I think Martin would be a step in the wrong direction. It''s a shame as he is a local boy, but i think it would be best for all parties if he moved on to a Champ side for a reasonable fee

Here we go!

I''m not all that fussed if he moves on, and he probably will, but i would still like to hang on to him. He is still young and in my mind has the ability to play in the premier league.

All this "he''s a league 1 player, he''s a championship player" is utter nonsense i''m sorry. If you had said in 2009 that Grant Holt or Steve Morison at Stevenage were "Premier League players" people would have called for men in white coats. But that''s exactly what they are and there''s no reason at all why Chris Martin can''t be the same. He has all the ability of a 23 year old Morison or Holt - far more i imagine so it''s rubbish to say he will only play in this league or that league.

Not strong enough or quick enough for the top flight I''m afraid!

C Martin made his debut for us in 2007 and if he isn''t a regular squad player by now 2012, then he never will be!

In the case of messrs Holt and Morison - Holt had to move to improve and so did Morison!

Although I can''t Chris Martin ever making it in the Premiership, I feel that apart from us being in the top flight, Chris also needs to move to another club to achieve more. Hes gone as far as hes going to go with us and I suspect that would have been the same had we still been in the Championship!

I see Chris Martin in the Hoolahan role or playing in the hole. At 23 he is at a key stage of his career. Chris could play regularly at Premiership level and is a good all round footballer who brings other players into the game well. What he really needs though is a term or two at the Holt/Morison School of Hard Knocks as he has been too much in a comfort zone in his career as a home grown player.

Chris will do himself a huge favour by making a permanent move to Palace or a similar club as he will be more his own man and away from his home area. This is so true in many areas of life in a career.

Paul Lambert seldom fails to do the right thing by players; he has enormous empathy for them as professional players and this includes tough love. The fact Chris is out on loan is testament to PL looking out for his career - I wonder if he appreciates that?

Chris Martin can leave Norwich with his head held high after what he has acheived here and deserves the supporters respect as a player. I certainly celebrated off the back of some fine goals and assists.

But overall, he would be well advised to move on.

Agree with Rudi - see CMart ending up in a similar role played currently by Wes rather than out and out striker - maybe even a Scholes type player.  Would love it if at Norwich but if not I would he hope he would go from strength to strength.  He is only 23 and for some players peak career can come late (Holt & Hoolahan but two to find that!).