Sign in to follow this  
deano

Has Lambert made a "bad" signing

When Johnson was released last week it made me wonder whether Lambert has signed anyone who you would say was a failure?

Although Johnson''s goalscoring record wasn''t great I still think the double he got at home to Southend in League One was crucial and he always looked ok when he played, just unfortunately for him we progressed up the leagues a bit too quickly for him. Stephen Elliot didn''t do too much from what I remember, other than a pretty important goal at Huddersfield.

And please don''t say John Ruddy, however good or bad you think he is (even compared to Forster) he has not been a failure.

Depends what you class as a ''bad'' signing.

In terms of value for money, there aren''t many at all.

Steven Smith obviously only played a handful of games so must be a poor signing but didn''t cost a great deal.

Anthony McNamee was a bit-part player for 18 months but made sporadic contributions in 2 promotions & didn''t cost the world.

Does a player sidelined by injury count as a ''bad'' signing? James Vaughan may still come back and have a significant impact but there must be doubt about that. I don''t know the make-up of our deal with Everton because of add-ons. I think Lambert will have known he was a gamble with his injury record but was prepared to take a punt because of his ability. Is that an error in judgement or just a calculated punt?

What you said about Ollie Johnsons true!

Stephen Elliot done a short term job OK which is what we got him for and its ridiculous to even mention John Ruddys name on this thread!

I hope I''m proved wrong but I''ve got a feeling we signed a dud in sick note Vaughen, in fact his injury record how we were able to get him I suspect!

Ah yes Stephen Smith was a bad signing but hey I remember some of Fergies bad signings for ManU in the late 80''s, no manager gets it right all the time!

Mcnamee wasn''t a success but also wasn''t a complete failure as he played his part albeit in an inconsistant, not very often sort of way!

It''s a hard opne most people will say Wilbrham but whilst he wasn''t a great signing he did play a part in getting us promoted last season.

I would say Steven Smith, spent time injured then f''cked off to Aberdeen because he was home sick. Luckily for us he was on a free.

Other than that I can''t think of anyone else. even Michael Rose who he got in on loan who wasn''t exactly great played his part in covering for Drury and getting us out of League One so whilst he wasn''t rated on this board he did what he was asked to do.

Davo

Every manager ever has signed players that just haven''t worked out.  With Lambert he''s had a signing or two that has fallen short,  but he hasn''t spent big money on a failure yet.

Many fans will say Wilbraham but we brought him to beef up the squad last season, not to be a 1st choice player and hes done that. While I don''t want to see him playing much in this Division he still offers the big targetman back up that Jackson can''t, Chris Martin can''t and noone out of the academy could so overall you can say hes done his job!

I''d say he''s not made any signings that any objective, fair minded person could describe as "bad" . True, there have been some who  have been less effective than others, as mentioned, but nothing on the scale of SAF''s investment in Veron or Massimo Taibi . Wenger is always féted as a shrewd investor, but he''s had his fair share of shocking duds too.

I''m sure Wilbraham will have a part to play this season, and hope that applies to Vaughan as well, though , as a club, we do have a record of buying "sick note" type players!

what''s also interesting is the downward spiral of those who have left since Lambert came in. Not a comprehensive list but:

Doherty - can''t get a game at Charlton

Spillane - already left Brentford for Dag & Red

Cureton - Exeter and Orient

Russell - on loan at Charlton from Preston

Nelson - already left Scunny for Kilmarnock

Elliot - squad player at Hearts

Cody - injured but not setting the heather alight at Coventry

OTJ - injured but not done much at Inverness

Daley - didn''t seem to be featuring much at Plymouth

McNamee - was it Wycombe on loan from MK Dons?

Hughes - left Motherwell after a handful of games

Perhaps this also tells us the extent to which Lambert can get people playing above themselves?

Smith is really the only one to turn sour, but he had the potential to push Drury out of the team, but never got a chance due to injury and poor form/home sickness. Saying that, he cost next to nothing, and we got him off our books.

All the rest of Lambert''s signings have had some kind of important impact on the squad, whether it being the odd one or two goals (Cody Mac, Wilbraham, , Vokes, Elliot and Pacheco), to match changing substitute appearences (McNamee).

I remain faithful that Vaughan will turn good after recovering from his injuries, look at Whitbread and Ayala now!

[quote user="AJ"]Smith is really the only one to turn sour, but he had the potential to push Drury out of the team, but never got a chance due to injury and poor form/home sickness. Saying that, he cost next to nothing, and we got him off our books.

All the rest of Lambert''s signings have had some kind of important impact on the squad, whether it being the odd one or two goals (Cody Mac, Wilbraham, , Vokes, Elliot and Pacheco), to match changing substitute appearences (McNamee).

I remain faithful that Vaughan will turn good after recovering from his injuries
, look at Whitbread and Ayala now![/quote]Me too, I think he''s bloody desperate to get a run of games and score a few goals.

"starfish"]

what''s also interesting is the downward spiral of those who have left since Lambert came in. Not a comprehensive list but:

Perhaps this also tells us the extent to which Lambert can get people playing above themselves?

I''ve long said that many of our players including two of our very best over the last 2 and a half seasons, Holt and R Martin wouldn''t be half the players away from Lambert!

Most of that list I agree with although Russells playing regularly for a team at the top of League 1 and abvove his parent club which indicates that something non football has effected Russell up North. Same with Michael Nelson cause I''d expect Kilmarnock would be better than Scunthorpe1

[quote user="starfish"]

[/quote]I don''t really get your point - so some aging, injured or second string players (the Doc excepted of course) have continued to be old, injured or not very good once they''ve left us?And AJ, Gunn signed Cody, not Lambert.

Other than the ones I''ve noticed above:Jackson.Sorry but while I like his work ethic he has not been a great buy at all- he scored a few useful goals last season but there is no reason to believe anyone else might not have knocked them in as well and he has not been consistent or worried many defences- if we were to let him go now he''d not be missed on the pitch as long as any other forward with a bit of pace came in in his place.A decent player at L1 level and an OK sub in the Champ. Maybe not an actual bad signing but by no means a good one.Generally forwards have not been PLs strong point in my view- Moro has been great but that is 1 out of quite a few.De Laet.Looks good and then costs goals. Otsemaboor springs to mind a lot when I see him play.Changing his mind about Wes... Not a signing but I think we would be a better team without him. Hear me out (!) looses too much ball, tries to do to much, not enough pace but REALLY hard not to pick! Because he can and sometimes does create chances he is an early name on the team sheet but he is not actually good enough to play through very often.Works hard, decent skill and above average vision covers up the amount that he leaves the midfield weakened. Doesn''t get the goals he needs to to justify inclusion.If he was available in space and playing simple balls and one touch stuff at times then OK- but not able to really help out in a defensive capacity and is also not there to be the easy calm out ball for a tackler enough and to get the play moving again.I want to see a tip of the diamond who can turn and run at a defender or hold it, lay it off to Fox (or whoever is at the base) and get back into useful space.I am NOT saying Wes is not a good player but I do wonder if he is really right for the role he plays in this team! If he''s at the club he is going to play but if he wasn''t here I think we might well be stronger!?[6]

Unbelievable comment about Wes there. He is the one player who I think if he got injured we would really, really miss. He is the player that makes the team tick, The one player that is always available for the ball and his work rate is exceptional. I would say he is our most important player and we have no other like for like replacement.

Absolutely true about replacement in the squad- and of course I am only half serious.His work rate is excellent, but I don''t agree that he makes the team tick- he can disappear in a game and we don''t stop playing.In

terms of a debate... I am NOT bashing Wes by any means... does he get

enough goals for you? Does he create enough chances? Does he retain the

ball well enough?If we had 2 other midfielders as creative I think

he could be more effective or a striker who would get on to little

through balls but I don''t see all that much of him being able to hold

space behind their midfield.Just a thought [;)]

Look at the stats on ball retention, Hoolahan keeps the ball along with Fox & Naughton better than the rest of the squad.

For a player that plays mostly in the middle/attacking thirds of the pitch that is superb. Also such a large amount of play goes through him so he along with Fox does make us tick.

Does he get enough goals?

League One - 14 goals in all competitions (11 league)

Championship - 11 goals in all competitions (10 league)

Pretty sure he got quite a few assists too last season. Definitely was in double figures!

And as for this season he has scored 2 in the league which isn''t bad at al considering he hasn''t started every game and are playing at a much higher level.

Yellow Shirt are you being serious???

"Jackson"

"he has not been a great buy at all- he scored a few useful goals last season but there is no reason to believe anyone else might not have knocked them in as well"

"Doesn''t get the goals he needs to to justify inclusion."

When Jackson got a run in our side last season he couldn''t stop scoring. His goals pushed us on too promotion ffs!!! He''s scored 15 Goals in 23 starts. I''d love too see "anyone" just "nock" that many goals in.

Even If Jackson does go on to leave, he was a success just for what he done last season!!

How can Jackson be a poor signing. His closing flurry of goals spearheaded our promotion last year. The fact he has been mentioned on this thread is an embarrassment.

John Ruddy has also been a top notch signing for what £150k? When you look at Swansea having a £2 million bid knocked back for Stockdale in the summer, I don''t think he is far off that standard or is already there.

Only really signing has been Steven Smith. Didn''t contribute much and clearly didn''t want to be here. Others have made important contributions during their time.

[quote user="Nicholls"]Yellow Shirt are you being serious???

"Jackson"

"he has not been a great buy at all- he scored a few useful goals last season but there is no reason to believe anyone else might not have knocked them in as well"

"Doesn''t get the goals he needs to to justify inclusion."

When Jackson got a run in our side last season he couldn''t stop scoring. His goals pushed us on too promotion ffs!!! He''s scored 15 Goals in 23 starts. I''d love too see "anyone" just "nock" that many goals in.

Even If Jackson does go on to leave, he was a success just for what he done last season!![/quote]About Jackson? Yeah- I am serious on that one- 15 in 49 isn''t amazing... it''s decent enough but consider that 6 of those were in 2 games and against quite soft opposition... 9 in 47.... as an out and out striker errr... not amazing.He did OK last year... better signing than Torres I guess!

Signing players from a lower level to take forward is always a big risk, but it''s the measure of the man (and his scouting operation) that there have been so many success stories.Something unseen at City since the legendary Duncan Forbes was eased out by the incoming Delia Smith''s cronies.

Yes a few, but far too many on here fail to acknowledge the obvious.When it comes to looking at the swingometer however, Gunn signed more awful players in a month than Lambert has in two and a half years.

Sorry yellow shirt, but it isn''t particularly fair to start knocking goals off like that, you could do the same with anyone and show them with a manky goal:game ratio. It is also one of those classic things to do that those portraying in a poor light include all sub apps, those trying to show in a good light use ''starts'', which is undoubtedly fairer.

Fwiw I think Simeon has been a pretty good signing - not a starring role a la holt, but far from poor. And whatever you think, had he not been in the right place at the right time vs Derby we could well have had the lottery of the play-offs to contend with......

Jackson a bad signing, you have got to be kidding.......you really couldn''t make some of the old tosh posted on this board up!

A lot of people think that Jackson was/is a bad signing.Unfortunately for most it is a question of having your favourites. Morison and Jackson have upset the majority and long may that continue.Some on here have to wait for a consensus of opinion to become popular before they feel that they can express their view.  If our opinion never becomes popular then the weak amongst us keep those opinions hidden. "To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects."

Jacksons form in the run in last season was one of the elements that helped us over the line into 2nd!

Hes had his barren games but Jacksons nowhere near being a bad signing!

Look down the A140 to Nathan (I thought he''d retired years ago!) Ellington to see a bad CF signing!

[quote user="deano"]When Johnson was released last week it made me wonder whether Lambert has signed anyone who you would say was a failure?

Although Johnson''s goalscoring record wasn''t great I still think the double he got at home to Southend in League One was crucial and he always looked ok when he played, just unfortunately for him we progressed up the leagues a bit too quickly for him. Stephen Elliot didn''t do too much from what I remember, other than a pretty important goal at Huddersfield.

And please don''t say John Ruddy, however good or bad you think he is (even compared to Forster) he has not been a failure.[/quote]Further than this, can it be said that under Lambert, Norwich City have ever even played a single bad game? (MK Dons aside)There have been some mediocre ones for sure, but tbh these have often been the ones we''ve got results out of!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Sorry yellow shirt, but it isn''t particularly fair to start knocking goals off like that, you could do the same with anyone and show them with a manky goal:game ratio. It is also one of those classic things to do that those portraying in a poor light include all sub apps, those trying to show in a good light use ''starts'', which is undoubtedly fairer.

Fwiw I think Simeon has been a pretty good signing - not a starring role a la holt, but far from poor. And whatever you think, had he not been in the right place at the right time vs Derby we could well have had the lottery of the play-offs to contend with......[/quote]Yeah- fair point that was naughty!Although people do tend to state goals per start but include goals scored as a sub which always seems wrong to me!''Bad signing'' may be too strong but I don''t class him as a particularly good one.