Sign in to follow this  
Canaries for Ever

Andy Johnson - Message to other players

I was really surprised that Andy Johnson could be put up for the PFA player of the year award and after today I have not changed my opinion. Half his goals have come from penalties and the number of times he dives in a game seems to put pressure on some refs to award a penalty eventually

What sort of message does this send out to other players???

The message it sends out to other players is that referees cannot do there jobs, they cannot utilise the linesmans ability to see things from a better angle, and they do not talk to each other and say "hang on a second this guy has been awarded alot of penalties, I think we should watch him and use the rule that says if a player dives they should be booked!!"

No!! Do you know why, because that would be too simple!! Why should premiership referees be expected to do the job properly its not like its thier full time occupation.... oops!!

Its too easy to blame Johnson!! Agreed he shouldn''t do it, but, rightly or wrongly, in this high pressure, high stakes game players are going to do whatever they can to win!! It is up to the referees to be competent and able when doing thier job (an expectation which is placed on us all when we do our jobs!!)

Rant over!!

My point was not that he dives - that''s taken as read - but that he has been short-listed for the PFA award, giving the impression that it''s recognised as a good thing to do.

Agreed that Johnson is a diving cheat - Palace have been awarded twice as many penalties as other teams in the Prem. However, he cleverly played on Shacks'' inexperience yesterday, drawing him into a number of challenges that he didn''t need to make, particularly the penalty that was awarded (Johnson had overrun the ball which would have gone out for a goal kick).Also we got away with the Safri handball on the line plus Freedman''s penalty shout. What WAS annoying is the fact that we didn''t kill the game off with 17 minutes too go, which is inexcusable.  

I can see why they get so many pen''s.  They must have gone over in the box appealing for one about 8 or 9 times yesterday.  Law of averages means that the ref will give one sooner or later.  I think AJ is a nasty little diving c**t but to be fair they should''ve had two stone wall pen''s in the first half, so we can''t complain too much.

What disappointed me the most was how we lost our shape and concentration when we were 3-1 up.  We should''ve just slowed the game down and tightened up at the back

shows why he did rubbish for england, he didnt get a chance to dive

[quote]I was really surprised that Andy Johnson could be put up for the PFA player of the year award and after today I have not changed my opinion. Half his goals have come from penalties and the number of t...[/quote]

I totally agree !

And I do (for once) not agree with Nigel Worthington; I would rather be in the Championship than winning on such cheating as Andy Johnsen did at lest five times on Saturday !

Why is English football so popular ? (e.g. here in Norway) Amongst other things, because it is fair !

Let us keep it that way, and let´s hope Palace goes down as they deserves and Norwich stays up as they fully deserves.

Roberth Kristiansen

Sande

Norway

I couldn''t believe it when they said on MotD that 10 of his 19 goals have been penalties. How many penalties have we had this season? One?! It''s unbelievable. It''s more than one penalty every two games.