Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Sammy Clingan

I always rated him & definitely think Lambert would get him doing a job for the team, as he has everybody on the books at the moment.

However we should be looking to add players better than we already have, I don''t think Clingan is.

Certainly not. He seems to have found his level at the bottom of the Championship. To my mind that''s his true level. Thought he was totally over rated when he was here. He looked good on the ball which saved him from the fans wrath but cost us countless of goals by losing his man. He was pretty safe from being found out because the Doc would always get the blame whoevers player it was that scored. I hope when Coventry go down he jumps ship and joins the scum before he makes is a hat-trick of relegations.

It could have been you, oh Sammy Clingan, it could have been you...

No thanks!

No!

Was one of our best players in that disasterous 2008-09 season, was better than POTS Lee Croft and was one of the few players who actually cared on that fateful last day at Charlton!

But we''ve moved on from the likes of Clingan now and I don''t think he''d be anything other than a squad player in our current squad!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

No!

Was one of our best players in that disasterous 2008-09 season, was better than POTS Lee Croft and was one of the few players who actually cared on that fateful last day at Charlton!

But we''ve moved on from the likes of Clingan now and I don''t think he''d be anything other than a squad player in our current squad!

[/quote]

No. it''s not a joke.  I am genuinely interested in what people think regarding him, and also bearing in mind that a lot of our current squad have made the step up from League One or lower even.

When Clingan was with us there were a lot of fans who thought he was quality, possibly our best player.  With this in mind and also the fact that he was playing in the worst Norwich team for decades (it''s easier to perform better in a good team), is he capable of making the step up?  If not, why not, considering the number of our players who have made the step up from a lower division than Clingan has been playing in over the last few years?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

No. it''s not a joke.  I am genuinely interested in what people think regarding him, and also bearing in mind that a lot of our current squad have made the step up from League One or lower even.

When Clingan was with us there were a lot of fans who thought he was quality, possibly our best player.  With this in mind and also the fact that he was playing in the worst Norwich team for decades (it''s easier to perform better in a good team), is he capable of making the step up?  If not, why not, considering the number of our players who have made the step up from a lower division than Clingan has been playing in over the last few years?

[/quote]

As already ststed he was one player on the day we went down to show very little or no emotion at all and was one of the first to abandon ship, his problem now is he is still stuck in the life raft and has no chance of a big ship coming close to rescue him, who knows he might like Lg1, we won''t know unless we give him the chance to go there where his talent might shine through   

Last year I would of had him back. I think he would have been a similar type of player to Fox and would have offer decent competition for places and improved the squad. But when are in the Premiership you really need to be aiming to do a bit better than that. I would prefer to try to sign Bridcutt, haven''t seen in the flesh but to a man the Brighton fans are raving about this lad. Usually you get a backlash if it looks a player might leave. So that says a lot.

As for the he couldn''t wait to jump ship line. Does anyone blame him for moving to Coventry? You make decisions based on the moment, not with foresight. At that time they were in the Championship. We were a complete mess, only had about 10 contracted players and as McNally has revealed there was the very real prospect of adminstration looming.

I honestly felt in that close season there was a very real possibility we could potentially be stuck in League One for a very long time. He was one of the few players that season who I genuinely felt still deserved to be playing Championship football. So for me it was a move based on mainly footballing motives. You cant argue with that.

Pete_norw

As already ststed he was one player on the day we went down to show very little or no emotion at all and was one of the first to abandon ship, his problem now is he is still stuck in the life raft and has no chance of a big ship coming close to rescue him, who knows he might like Lg1, we won''t know unless we give him the chance to go there where his talent might shine through   

Disagree. Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, Clingan was one of the few Norwich players at Charlton to actually look visibly upset with dropping out of the Championship. I can back this up cause I sat near the front of the stand and clearly saw and heard Clingan give an almighty bollo*cking to some of the lightweights in our team at that time.

Clingan done a good job for us that season and was one of the few players in that season who can hold his head up and say he gave it his all and performed adequatedly most of the time!

Lee Croft that season was the most unjust player of the season in the history of the award. Clingan or the Doc were much better than Croft that season!

Although I apreciate what he done for us in 2008-09 I wouldn''t want him back not cause we''ve moved onto higher levels and Clingan wouldn''t improve, only pack the squad out at best!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Would you have him back?[/quote]

Not this again. Same answer as last time - no, no, no, a million times no.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Yes, IMO He''s better then Fox.[/quote]

Yeah right. 01603 610777 - Specsavers local number.

starbucks in the Mall might hope Clinkers comes back.. the amount he used to scoff on a monday afternoon was impressive...He was part of our worst team in history and couldnt wait to jump ship instead of fighting to help us get out of it....he wouldnt even get on the bench for the reserves now!

I can''t see how he was as good as some of you make out. And it seems I''m not the only one. He''s still at Coventry wich means he''s spent the last four seasons at the very bottom of the Championship. Previously he was League One. Surely he''d have interested at least a mid-table Champs club if he was good enough. In Coventry''s financial state I''m sure they''d have been happy to get him off their books for two bob and a mars bar.

As for 09 POTS, it was Doc by a country mile! Although Lee Croft had started to go downhill by then he had at least performed well for us at a higher level of Championship football under Worthy. A level Clingan has yet to play at.

Some people on here bemuse me. I agree totally with OP''s opinion on Clingan that Season.

He was by far our best player and his commitment could never be doubted, the only reason I can see for people to question that is because of how he left.

This a quote from an Interview with Clingan after he signed;

“I’m absolutely delighted to be joining a big club like Norwich City. I’m leaving a good club, Nottingham Forest, to join Norwich and I’m really looking forward to trying to get them promoted to the Premier League. “Once I had spoken to Glenn Roeder and viewed the fantastic facilities at the Club it was an easy decision to make. I knew of Glenn’s managerial reputation, working with big name players in the Premier League and hopefully he will help me become a better player too".

At the end of the day he left a newly promoted Nottingham team to sign for us now in same league. Why? Because with the second highest wage bill in the league people were talking about promotion. Clingan bought into this and well, we all no what happened.

At the time when Clingan left us he made a decision that lets be honest looked the sensible one (He''s a footballer not a Norwich fan). Join Coventry, a team then under management of Chris Coleman being talked about as outsiders for promotion to the Premiership Or Stay at Norwich a club now In League 1, under the management of Bryan Gunn, with worsening financial difficulties and Micheal Theokilitos being named as there number 1 target.

I don''t blame any of the players for ''Jumping Ship'' at the end of that season, Even I felt like jumping ship lol. It''s Ironic how things have worked out but it could have been very different.

Back to the OP, I''d have probably said Yes at the start of the season, But now It''d have to be a No.

At the time, and in a poor team, I thought Clingan was quite decent.  Used the ball well, had that illusory "extra bit of time" that good players seem to have.  Did go missing from time to time and wasn''t the best marker.  But now, I wouldn''t trade any of our midfielders for him.  Still, what do I know - I thought David Bell looked quite good.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]At the time, and in a poor team, I thought Clingan was quite decent.  Used the ball well, had that illusory "extra bit of time" that good players seem to have.  Did go missing from time to time and wasn''t the best marker.  But now, I wouldn''t trade any of our midfielders for him.  Still, what do I know - I thought David Bell looked quite good.

[/quote]

He will never be anything other than an average Championship player.