Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Leeds accept Norwich City bid for Jonny Howson

Spoken to a mate who is a Leeds fan and he plays best behind a striker but can play central midfield. He said " he is on fire when playing behind a striker" well this could be the answer if Lambert wants to play a 451 as so many harp on about on here. Wes is best in a diamond and is not affective in the role behind morison in 451 so howson could do that job if we need to go to that formation.

A decent addition to the squad but not one that gets me very excited. Hardly a bargain at £2 million if his contract is almost up and he''s out injured for a while. However in Lambert I trust.IMO it now seems to rule Snodgrass out of the equation. If so then that''s a great pity.A classy loan would nice to see.

I really hope this one comes off. Howson''s got a huge future in the game. Everything about him fits our profile under Lambert. He is young, hungry and is a leader. It reminds me of when we signed Phelan from Burnley and Townsend from Southampton. I doubt playing for Norwich City is the limit to his ambition but he will have to perform consistently well for us if he is to get a chance at the very top level.

And the icing on the cake... As far as I''m aware he''s not cup tied. So he can still win the FA Cup this season :)

you are getting yourself a good player here, he is the sort of player you dont realise what he does until he is out the side(our/leeds recent run of form has been shocking with out him), he likes to get forward, can scores goals but is also hard workingLambert seems to get the best out of players so he could go on to be a top play for NorwichPlease let us keep Snoddy!!!

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

If he is that kind of player, he is just what we need. Possession is pretty much everything, and our defence keeps coming under pressure because we lack anyone (Fox seemingly not quite up to it) who can hold on to the ball. Exacerbated by Lambert''s gung-ho tactic of playing only three in midfield.

If (assuming he signs and gets fit) he can get beyond the lone striker occasionally when we play 4-4-1-1 (as we probably should against Chelsea anyway) so much the better.

[/quote]

I had sort of convinced myself he was that kind of player but now I''m not so sure. Nobody else seems sure either to be fair as he has been likened to about eight different midfielders with vastly different styles on this thread already [;)]

If he can pass well, add a bit of control to our midfield (in both and attacking and defensive sense) and grab a few goals as well then he will be a very handy addition to the squad.

[/quote]

Shack, in that case perhaps he''s being signed as goalkeeping cover or even (for Ruddy Wizard''s benefit[:P]) as first-choice goalie...[;)][:D][;)]

It''s good fun to speculate and all that and we all have different opinions but the negative ones baffle me a bit. PL said he would only sign people who were better than what we''ve got, or at least, can add something, so that''s good enough for me and it ought to be for all of us.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]I had sort of convinced myself he was that kind of player but now I''m not so sure. Nobody else seems sure either to be fair as he has been likened to about eight different midfielders with vastly different styles on this thread already [;)]

If he can pass well, add a bit of control to our midfield (in both and attacking and defensive sense) and grab a few goals as well then he will be a very handy addition to the squad.

[/quote]Having read many pages on Waccoe it seems his best position is just behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1. Competition for Wes it seems.

[quote user="ricardo"]A decent addition to the squad but not one that gets me very excited. Hardly a bargain at £2 million if his contract is almost up and he''s out injured for a while. However in Lambert I trust.IMO it now seems to rule Snodgrass out of the equation. If so then that''s a great pity.A classy loan would nice to see.[/quote]We''re waiting until his contract has run out[:D]

Looks like  Grimes on WACCOE aint too happy with Mr Bates. "This is an absolute fucking disgrace. Not only has Bates managed to fuck up tying down our fucking captain to a contract for over 12 months, he''s managed to fuck up tying down the biggest fucking Leeds fan in the squad to a contract. It is no excuse to say ''he wanted to get to the Premiership at the earliest possible opportunity''. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. It works both ways. If the club pushes and shows some ambition and offers competitive and fair wages to players wanting to get to the Premier League they will more likely than not see success in the transfer market. Occasionally we will have to offer decent wages and decent sums of money to players. But, to get to the Premier League you need to pay the price. Does that quote sound vaguely similar to you, Ken? It should. ''You want Premiership football? You pay Premiership prices''. We kept our end of the deal, and this is the icing on the cake that proves you can''t keep to yours you shit Chelsea bastard. Howson is a controversial player on this forum. Some like him, some don''t. I personally think the kid is fantastic and deserves to play in the Premier League one day. I personally think he''d have hoped it could have been with Leeds United. No doubt if we had any drive, ambition or willingness to get to where everyone else wants to, players like Howson would stay.And on another note, always fucking Norwich, isn''t it? They pip up to the League One title with ease. They then show us how to do it in the Championship by gaining promotion there straight from the off whilst we piss about with Jake fucking Livermore. Then, they take off Bradley Johnson and turn him into a player playing well in the Premiership, despite us not being able to offer him a decent deal. Now it''s Howson. If you don''t understand this by now Bates, you Chelsea bastard, you''re being mugged off every fucking time by the side who managed to deliver to their fans what you promised to us. Now get the fuck out of our club. You''re not fucking welcome."

Ahh, couldn`t  have happened to a nicer little club!

Just to give people a fuller picture on his injury, i read about it last night, cannot be bothered to search again.Basically when he origionally did his knee in, the club said it was not as bad as first feared and he would not be out for that long, then a few weeks or so later in Mid December, Bates claimed he was still another 3 months away from action- putting him out till around end of March (till he would be match fit)However, when i was reading all that it did sound a bit suspicious, i did wonder whether Bates was exagarating how bad the injury was to the Leeds fans because he already had an offer in place from us for Howson, i am sure they have been looking for prospective buyers since he refused a contract at the start of the season. O perhaps i am jsut being wishful and look for some sort of conspiracy theory! But i do think we may see him in action sooner than what Bates claims.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Jonny Howson is a good player but not to the extent that some are making out! I''d much prefer Snodgrass. Don''t really see the point in signing a player no better then Crofts, Johnson or Fox.[/quote]

Totally agree Lincoln

[/quote]

No surprise there, the two most negative posters on here agreeing with each other.

[/quote]

Lock them both in the nearest ''phone box (if indeed they are two different people) and throw away the key

[quote user="St.John Cooper"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

I am not excited by this signing AT ALL....we need a central defender not a midfielder where we already have an abundence of talent...who will he replace?

We all know with no clean sheets where our problem is.....just think its much ado about nothing

[/quote]

Clean sheets start from the front. You could have the 4 best defenders in the world but if everyone ahead of them is dross then you still won''t keep a clean sheet. Howson will improve the team overall, meaning we are more likely to get a clean sheet.

[/quote]

So whose place does he take?

Misguided and irrelevant question. Do you not understand the concepts of squad strength and increased options? 

[/quote]

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="St.John Cooper"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

I am not excited by this signing AT ALL....we need a central defender not a midfielder where we already have an abundence of talent...who will he replace?

We all know with no clean sheets where our problem is.....just think its much ado about nothing

[/quote]

Clean sheets start from the front. You could have the 4 best defenders in the world but if everyone ahead of them is dross then you still won''t keep a clean sheet. Howson will improve the team overall, meaning we are more likely to get a clean sheet.

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

Misguided and irrelevant question. Do you not understand the concepts of squad strength and increased options?

[quote user="priceyrice"]Just to give people a fuller picture on his injury, i read about it last night, cannot be bothered to search again.

Basically when he origionally did his knee in, the club said it was not as bad as first feared and he would not be out for that long, then a few weeks or so later in Mid December, Bates claimed he was still another 3 months away from action- putting him out till around end of March (till he would be match fit)

However, when i was reading all that it did sound a bit suspicious, i did wonder whether Bates was exagarating how bad the injury was to the Leeds fans because he already had an offer in place from us for Howson, i am sure they have been looking for prospective buyers since he refused a contract at the start of the season. O perhaps i am jsut being wishful and look for some sort of conspiracy theory! But i do think we may see him in action sooner than what Bates claims.
[/quote]

Taken from The Mirror on 15th December:

Chairman Ken Bates told Yorkshire Radio: "We don''t know the extent of Jonny''s length of treatment but he is going to be out two to three months"

No inherent contradictions there, then!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]Just to give people a fuller picture on his injury, i read about it last night, cannot be bothered to search again.Basically when he origionally did his knee in, the club said it was not as bad as first feared and he would not be out for that long, then a few weeks or so later in Mid December, Bates claimed he was still another 3 months away from action- putting him out till around end of March (till he would be match fit)However, when i was reading all that it did sound a bit suspicious, i did wonder whether Bates was exagarating how bad the injury was to the Leeds fans because he already had an offer in place from us for Howson, i am sure they have been looking for prospective buyers since he refused a contract at the start of the season. O perhaps i am jsut being wishful and look for some sort of conspiracy theory! But i do think we may see him in action sooner than what Bates claims.[/quote]

Chairman Ken Bates told Yorkshire Radio: "We don''t know the extent of Jonny''s length of treatment but he is going to be out two to three months"

[/quote]Sounds a bit suspicious to me!

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]Just to give people a fuller picture on his injury, i read about it last night, cannot be bothered to search again.

Basically when he origionally did his knee in, the club said it was not as bad as first feared and he would not be out for that long, then a few weeks or so later in Mid December, Bates claimed he was still another 3 months away from action- putting him out till around end of March (till he would be match fit)

However, when i was reading all that it did sound a bit suspicious, i did wonder whether Bates was exagarating how bad the injury was to the Leeds fans because he already had an offer in place from us for Howson, i am sure they have been looking for prospective buyers since he refused a contract at the start of the season. O perhaps i am jsut being wishful and look for some sort of conspiracy theory! But i do think we may see him in action sooner than what Bates claims.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds a bit suspicious to me!

[/quote]

Some would say that anything only remotely linked with the Master known as Bates is suspicious

Definitely injured I think, apparently he has been at the Leeds matches in a knee brace and crutches...Anyway, from speaking to a few Leeds fans they say Howson isn''t great (''wasted'' probably closer to to the truth) as a CM in 442 but is quality behind the striker in a Wes sort of role (quick, skillful and got a brilliant pass) . So what do people think, come in for competition for Wes or are we thinking of a change in formation with 2 CAM''s behind Holt or Morro?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owpnrxCXZJ4[/url] What a ball to Beckford! [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZS--jtYI6U[/url] Tidy finish on him too!Let''s get him signed up ASAP, really hope we meet his wage demands!!

Fantastic signing if it comes off. Still a long way to go I expect to get this over the line. As much as I dislike Leeds I can''t see Howson taking the decision to leave Leeds lightly. When he has supported and is now captaining them.

I also wonder whether this story was indeed "leaked" to the Sun or whether it was actually a more deliberate tactic to attempt to alert other clubs to his availability. Whilst they have accepted our offer there is nothing to stop other clubs coming in with better bids and then attempting to blow us out of the water wage wise.

Despite what people say we aren''t exactly over loaded in the central midfield area. I would only consider Fox, Crofts and Johnson to be genuine central midfielders. So added competition in that department and for the Hoolahan role off the striker is fantastic.

I''d be well chuffed if this came off, Howson is a classy player and he''d be a perfect fit for us.

Wouldn''t be too happy if I were a Leeds fan though, replacing Howson with Fatty Patty....

[quote user="ricardo"]A decent addition to the squad but not one that gets me very excited. Hardly a bargain at £2 million if his contract is almost up and he''s out injured for a while. However in Lambert I trust.

IMO it now seems to rule Snodgrass out of the equation. If so then that''s a great pity.

A classy loan would nice to see.
[/quote]

Hi Ricardo,

I dont think Leeds are going to let Snodgrass go before the summer as he still has 18 months to go on his contract (at this point in time).

[/quote]

That might explain why they are unhappy about the news leaking as they want to sign a replacement first????

Rocking Ronnie`s reaction on WACCOE to the exquisite news that they appear to have signed Matti Patterson as a replacement for Howson,"No you couldn''t make this up.Norwich take our club captain and life long fan, whilst we sign the player they rejected as not good enough when they went up to the Championship."

Ha ha ha ha ha, no Ronnie you couldnt make it up mate, but unfortuantely for you it seems to be true!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]
Looks like  Grimes on WACCOE aint too happy with Mr Bates.

"This is an absolute fucking disgrace. Not only has Bates managed to fuck up tying down our fucking captain to a contract for over 12 months, he''s managed to fuck up tying down the biggest fucking Leeds fan in the squad to a contract. It is no excuse to say ''he wanted to get to the Premiership at the earliest possible opportunity''. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. It works both ways. If the club pushes and shows some ambition and offers competitive and fair wages to players wanting to get to the Premier League they will more likely than not see success in the transfer market. Occasionally we will have to offer decent wages and decent sums of money to players. But, to get to the Premier League you need to pay the price. Does that quote sound vaguely similar to you, Ken? It should. ''You want Premiership football? You pay Premiership prices''. We kept our end of the deal, and this is the icing on the cake that proves you can''t keep to yours you shit Chelsea bastard.

Howson is a controversial player on this forum. Some like him, some don''t. I personally think the kid is fantastic and deserves to play in the Premier League one day. I personally think he''d have hoped it could have been with Leeds United. No doubt if we had any drive, ambition or willingness to get to where everyone else wants to, players like Howson would stay.

And on another note, always fucking Norwich, isn''t it? They pip up to the League One title with ease. They then show us how to do it in the Championship by gaining promotion there straight from the off whilst we piss about with Jake fucking Livermore. Then, they take off Bradley Johnson and turn him into a player playing well in the Premiership, despite us not being able to offer him a decent deal. Now it''s Howson. If you don''t understand this by now Bates, you Chelsea bastard, you''re being mugged off every fucking time by the side who managed to deliver to their fans what you promised to us. Now get the fuck out of our club. You''re not fucking welcome."

Ahh, couldn`t  have happened to a nicer little club!
[/quote]

They''ll be even more p**sed off, if they sign our ex-player Matthew Pattison who''s on trial with them this week as the replacement.

Cracking signing if we pull it off.Exactly the sort of player we''ve been in need of, a good centeral midfeilder who is comfortable on the ball and can control the game a bit.A steal at the reported 2 million aswell. I know he''s out of contract in the summer but if we waited until then and tryed to get him on a free we would be blown out of the water by other clubs in terms of wages.Really excited about this hope if goes through.Waccoe should be a laugh right now!

"A steal at the reported 2 million aswell"

Speculated in possibly the most unreliable source available - rather like claiming the world is going to end soon because you saw the news of it on a placate on a man walking up and down Oxford StAs to the signing, he is just the type of player we need

[quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="Webbo118"][quote user="St.John Cooper"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote][/quote]

[/quote]

I do understand which is why we need strength at the back....what happens if we lose Zak and Ayala or one of them, we do not have any depth at least we do in midfield but I think defence should be the priority.....your statement of depth in squad simply does not ring true in defence and it would in fact seem like you do not understand this concept. As a business man I understand we only have so much money to spend and I would rather see this in defence wouldn’t you?

If we need a midfielder it should be a defending midfielder not an attacking one