Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Leeds accept Norwich City bid for Jonny Howson

Jonathan Howson
Nationality: English
Date of Birth: 21/05/1988
Height: 5'' 11" (180cm)
Weight: 12st 1lbs (76.73kg)

a1 - not underwhelmed, I think this would be another "Paul Lambert is supremely brilliant" move on a budget. Problem is the deal isn''t done yet and my fear is that we get all excited - yet again - and the deal has been spiked.

Wait and see for me, hope for the best and then celebrate!

[quote user="Hog"]
Jonathan HowsonNationality: EnglishDate of Birth: 21/05/1988Height: 5'' 11" (180cm)Weight: 12st 1lbs (76.73kg)
[/quote]Chris Martin size

I am not excited by this signing AT ALL....we need a central defender not a midfielder where we already have an abundence of talent...who will he replace?

We all know with no clean sheets where our problem is.....just think its much ado about nothing

[quote user="dhickl"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Leeds view:

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=323&fid=14&sty=2&act=1&mid=2115516773

[/quote]

WACCOE are loving it...

"Maybe tomorrow I will awake suddenly from a coma, and the unbelievable fact that we have become Norwich''s feeder club will just have been a terrible nightmare..."

http://waccoe.com/index.php?showtopic=224935&st=60

[/quote]I likewise enjoy reading stuff like "Since when have we been feeder club to mighty Norwich?" Made me laugh. Not too long ago, we were a feeder club to West Ham... Times have changed since.

[quote user="St.John Cooper"]

I am not excited by this signing AT ALL....we need a central defender not a midfielder where we already have an abundence of talent...who will he replace?

We all know with no clean sheets where our problem is.....just think its much ado about nothing

[/quote]

Clean sheets start from the front. You could have the 4 best defenders in the world but if everyone ahead of them is dross then you still won''t keep a clean sheet. Howson will improve the team overall, meaning we are more likely to get a clean sheet.

[/quote]Absolute rubbish in my opinion.Our problem is not central defence, in fact I think Whitbread and Ayala have proved their worth (disregarding Ayala''s blip at the weekend).  Our problem is being overrun in midfield and exposing the defence.  Someone like Howson is the perfect fit, the kind of player we need, a mix between Johnson and Fox.

[/quote]

Well, you really should be. This is just the type of addition we need. Excellent young player who can make a massive impact. Why does he need to replace anyone? Haven''t you realised yet that it''s a squad game. How many of our players have featured in every match this season?

[quote user="Tim Dawson"]That thread was on the speculation in the Sun, mine was about it was factual, Thank you !![/quote]

Give over attention-seeker, the confirmation was posted in that thread. SDP should do the right thing and delete this waste-of-space thread.

I''ve been calling for a midfielder this window but a more disciplined player to control things from slightly deeper but I''m happy with Howson.

He''s young, talented player with a great engine. I''m not sure Crofts has really made the step-up, he covers a lot of ground but 1 of our weaknesses this season has been our composure on the ball & retention of the ball.

I''m pretty sure we would be able to get him for free if we were to go for him in the summer as he''d be 24 by then and not under the bosman ruling. However, like others has said he would have more options then and would demand higher wages and a bigger signing on fee. Good buy if it comes off though. Just a shame he''s injured at the moment!

[quote user="Salopian"]

Good signing, and will strengthen our midfield options. He seems to be good and keen tackler and also no mean goal scorer with head asnd foot, and from distance, and surely it is no accident that he is captsin at Leeds.

We have to be patient, for at least three reasons:

1) Other bids may yet come in, and we may be defeated by money

2) He may fail a medical

3)He may not accept terms, especially wages, which are low  by Premiership standards, possibly. He may not like the set up.

Otherwise we must surely be attractive to him  - highish in the Premiership, and making some headlines, and a good team spirit and manager. Surely Johnson will speak up for us?

[/quote]Relevant points, but as far as 1 and 3 concerned, I have the feeling that the places where rivaling offers might come from, are limited. Joining (esp. injured) a low-positioned Prem side (such as QPR) would be a big gamble for the player (plus these sides need more immediate impact), whereas clubs much higher above us might not want want him at all, or he could find easily find his playing options very limited.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]I think Howson would be an excellent signing; probably the nearest we''ll get to a Damian Francis type for £2m?...[/quote]

Totally agree on this. If you look at our central midfielders they don''t really get the goals you would hope. Surman is starting to show some but we don''t have that player (like Francis) who gets in the box.

Howson will do this - he has that air of Lampard about him in terms of box to box payers. I think he will bring something different

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Jonny Howson is a good player but not to the extent that some are making out! I''d much prefer Snodgrass. Don''t really see the point in signing a player no better then Crofts, Johnson or Fox.[/quote]

In one short comment you have fully demonstrated your total lack of understanding.

To be honest I think he is better than Barton minus the attitude. Could be an awesome signing

As far as I know Howson is an attacking midfield playmaker, therefore I would assume he is competition for Wes.

I like him, if we can agree terms and he passes his medical then I think it would be a great signing. Gives us another choice going forward which is not a bad thing!!!

Next up, a winger! Let''s get Snodgrass and really upset them!!! (or someone with pace lol)

This is a really good signing if completed. As someone has already pointed out he bridges the gap between players like Fox and Johnson in terms of style. I''ve been saying all along that what we need is a player who can take control of the midfield. Someone who can pass, dictate the tempo and give protection to our defence. I think I may have used the phrase ''a cut price Scott Parker'' in the past. Howson is exactly the type of player I was thinking about.

The other impressive thing is that at just 23 years of age he has played over 200 games for Leeds already. It speaks a lot about the character of a young player if he has played so many games at that age at a club where the expectations (rightly or wrongly) of fans are huge. I don''t think he is likely to be overawed by the Premier League after that kind of start to his career.

[quote user="a1canary"] we''re missing a ball carrying, powerful, technical midfielder - the Viera type of player. This is him.[/quote]

He''s 5'' 11'''' and 12 stone a1. Viera would have eaten him for breakfast [:D]

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="St.John Cooper"]

[/quote]Absolute rubbish in my opinion.Our problem is not central defence, in fact I think Whitbread and Ayala have proved their worth (disregarding Ayala''s blip at the weekend).  Our problem is being overrun in midfield and exposing the defence.  Someone like Howson is the perfect fit, the kind of player we need, a mix between Johnson and Fox.[/quote]here here, The problem vs spurs, villa (and WBA to some extent) was that the midfield just cant win the ball back when they lose it. we have good creative players, reasonable in the air but all it needs is someone who can break up play.A midfielder who isnt afraid to get a yellow card (or worse) for the cause could go a long way to winning us games.Take the spurs Match, Modric ran the game and was pulling the strings in midfield. we tried to stand off him and it didnt work.. Its not the same for all teams but Modric wouldnt have fancied a tackle.. (see the Swansea vs Spurs game...) go in hard in the first 5 or 10 minutes and he wont fancy it for the rest of the game as he wont want to get hurt.. other teams it wont work on of course... it can make the difference.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="lincoln canary"]Jonny Howson is a good player but not to the extent that some are making out! I''d much prefer Snodgrass. Don''t really see the point in signing a player no better then Crofts, Johnson or Fox.[/quote]

In one short comment you have fully demonstrated your total lack of understanding.

[/quote]

Care to explain?

Not a sight or sound of him here at Asda, though Carl Court has very kindly be pushing my trolly round for me whill Ameobi gets the pick n mix!

Are you saying that Howson is no different from Crofts? That Crofts is no different from Johnson... etc.

There''s nothing wrong with having plenty of options

Say Fox or Crofts get injured, then what?!

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Webbo118"]

[/quote]

Care to explain?

[/quote]This guy is being talked about as a box to box attacking midfielder... when did you honestly see the above run with the ball? I think Lansbury would have been a similar/better buy?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

This is a really good signing if completed. As someone has already pointed out he bridges the gap between players like Fox and Johnson in terms of style. I''ve been saying all along that what we need is a player who can take control of the midfield. Someone who can pass, dictate the tempo and give protection to our defence. I think I may have used the phrase ''a cut price Scott Parker'' in the past. Howson is exactly the type of player I was thinking about.

The other impressive thing is that at just 23 years of age he has played over 200 games for Leeds already. It speaks a lot about the character of a young player if he has played so many games at that age at a club where the expectations (rightly or wrongly) of fans are huge. I don''t think he is likely to be overawed by the Premier League after that kind of start to his career.

[quote user="a1canary"] we''re missing a ball carrying, powerful, technical midfielder - the Viera type of player. This is him.[/quote]

He''s 5'' 11'''' and 12 stone a1. Viera would have eaten him for breakfast [:D]

[/quote]

If he is that kind of player, he is just what we need. Possession is pretty much everything, and our defence keeps coming under pressure because we lack anyone (Fox seemingly not quite up to it) who can hold on to the ball. Exacerbated by Lambert''s gung-ho tactic of playing only three in midfield.

If (assuming he signs and gets fit) he can get beyond the lone striker occasionally when we play 4-4-1-1 (as we probably should against Chelsea anyway) so much the better.