Sign in to follow this  
Browno

Leeds accept Norwich City bid for Jonny Howson

NORWICH have agreed a £2m deal with Leeds for captain Jonathan Howson, who is out of contract.

The 23-year-old former England Under-21 midfielder came through the Elland Road youth system.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4068657/Norwich-agree-a-deal-for-Leeds-skipper-Jonathan-Howson.html

Don''t know anything about him??? Any feedback on him at all.

He must be OK if at 21 years is the club captain at Leeds.

I have a mate over here who is a Leeds fan will ask him.

I believe he is out injured at the mo, certainly hasn''t featured in recent games. Whatever, he is well thought of, so seems we could do a lot worse, has certainly been linked with moves to PL in the past; they seem to have offered him a new contract, but perhaps he likes the idea of following Bradders down our way. Cue lots of moaning on Leeds message boards a la Brighton last week!

The Sun is full of shit usually but you''d think if they''d go as far to say that we''ve actually agreed a fee there could be something in it.

This is an odd one to me, knee injury still suppose to be keeping him out for a couple of months (aparantly Bates said mid December his knee injury would keep him out for a few months), if that is the case why would we pay 2M for a player who would cost almost nothing in the summer, i think he''s under 24 so we would have to pay compensation.Can''t say i know much about the player himself, just doing a bit of reading about him though makes him seem like a good prospect, captained Leeds at the age of 19 for the first time, that''s quite something.

The Sun is suggesting that Bolton are the front-runners for Clayton, with other clubs interested. Leeds aren''t going to let all their best players go, surely?

Don''t believe a word of it...especially not because he''s injured...why would a manager go, in january,...for a player who''s injured...

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Don''t believe a word of it...especially not because he''s injured...why would a manager go, in january,...for a player who''s injured...[/quote]

To make sure we get him and for an alright price too, to what you would expect to pay for such a player if you were signing them under normal circumstances.  If we waited till the summer he could sign for someone else.  More teams would be in for him if he was on a free and some would be prepared to offer higher wages than we could afford.

When a player is out of contract he is not "free" him and his agent will demand a higher signing on fee and at this.level is probably quite a lot. As for signing injured players Lambert signed pilks injured.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]When a player is out of contract he is not "free" him and his agent will demand a higher signing on fee and at this.level is probably quite a lot. As for signing injured players Lambert signed pilks injured.[/quote]Not to mention the tribunal fee for and under 24 player

Besides if he was out for a couple of months mid december then surely he will be back mid Feb, just in time to give the lads a hand....

Very good signing if true.

It''s being reported that we have agreed a £2 million fee for Leeds captain and midfielder Jonathon Howson. Not official yet so watch this space on this one.

Agreed, a good signing if true.

Lambert has got the best of cheap deals through injuries, just look at Whitbread, Pilkington, and hopefully Vaughan will come good in time too.

[quote user="Hog"]

Besides if he was out for a couple of months mid december then surely he will be back mid Feb, just in time to give the lads a hand....

Very good signing if true.

[/quote]I think it was a ''few'' months in December, and a couple months now

If true, he appears a Paul Lambert type aquisition http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNlfhQFeHjs

Seems a proper ''footballing'' footballer; technically good, experienced, balanced, can tackle, distribute, head and shoot - and score from midfield which we always need more of. He''s also a leader; we could end up with a team full of ex-Captains at this rate!

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Don''t believe a word of it...especially not because he''s injured...why would a manager go, in january,...for a player who''s injured...[/quote]

To make sure we get him and for an alright price too, to what you would expect to pay for such a player if you were signing them under normal circumstances.  If we waited till the summer he could sign for someone else.  More teams would be in for him if he was on a free and some would be prepared to offer higher wages than we could afford.

[/quote]Not a bad point NBS, but still the seriousness of the injury would have an influence imo... I hope we sign such a player, but I do not believe a lot that''s written in this c%*py paper

With ''free'' transfers any clever agent will make sure that most of the savings made from bypassing a transfer fee go to themselves and to the player in an increased wage and larger signing on fee.

As mentioned signing Howson in the summer would require a fee set by a tribunal, and the fact he has come from the Leeds academy and played a lot of games for them would set that fee fairly high.

Personally I can''t see us going for Howson if Lambert is keen on Snodgrass, if Howson is still injured what helpwould he be to the team?

[quote user="ron obvious"]http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20120118/offer-accepted-for-jonny_2247585_2580741?[/quote]Snodgrass interest must be over then as I can''t see any more Leeds players arriving.

[quote user="ron obvious"]http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20120118/offer-accepted-for-jonny_2247585_2580741?[/quote]

''we are disappointed the matter has become public at this stage'' - Then shut up about it! Leeds looking to start a bidding war (although that seems a little late as our offer has been accepted).

Leeds Accept BidIf this goes through, then I hold my hat off to Lambert for another great signing.  Yes he may be injured at the moment, but he is a great prospect for the future, I know Leeds fans have been talking him up as potential England material.Great signing.

Looks like the Suns right then!

I like how the statement says "we are dissapointed this has been made public". Possibly implying we''ve done this.

Ummm...isn''t that what they''ve just done! Ridiculous...it was just a rumour until the statement.

Nice to have another feeder club though.