Sign in to follow this  
Norwichcitynut

Grant Holt to Rangers?

He''s earnt himself a nice few easy seasons before finishing at Carlisle so I could see why he would be interested.

While the Prem is all shiny and sparkly,i think he likes the small grounds where you can wind up the supporters more intimately and dive in the mud when scoring! ...Not to mention having to play against at least 4-5 prima donnas in every game,

Would be gutted, but after reading all the tweets from Norwich supporters even i''d be thinking ''Sod you mentalists!''... People are getting in a right muck and fuddle about it.

It''s of no offence to Norwich if he were to leave and go to Scotland as long as he enjoys his football, then i wish him the best.

Saying that, if he thinks he''d make it out Norfolk alive with all the farm machinery we have, he''s got another thing coming!!! :)))))

Would Lambert/McNally,with their Celtic connections,sell a high quality player to Rangers??[^o)]

I see the Scottish Sun are about as credible as their English counterparts:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4076176/Coisty-calls-a-halt.html#ixzz1k33PtNzD

£2m?! Pop a 0 on the end and we''ll talk.

[quote user="ron obvious"]What wages do Rangers pay? What''s he on at NCFC? I''ve no idea, but it could be a factor.[/quote]Although I dont think there is much in this, the above is always a factor.The biggest push I can see for any potential move would be the fact he is not first choice anymore and does not start every game. Plus with Rangers you can get Champions league football (If they make it through the qualifiers of course)However I still dont think there is anything in this.

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]Every player has a price, that''s for sure.  Could Holt be persuaded by one last big pay day to set him up for life?  That''s the question,  I don''t think he''ll go, but I''m not 100% he''ll stay.
[/quote]

I am my friend.

Rangers have made an offer and norwich have rejected it.

For Norwich he is a 30 yo striker who is at the top of his game right now and is integral to the squad.

But likewise he is unlikely to improve from how he performs now and realistically is likely to be able to perform at this level much beyond next season.  He already finds himself on the bench regularly and when we look to go shopping in the summer I would expect a striker to be on the list, and with Vaughan coming back that may make the number of appearances fall.  Like Malky before him Grant quite reasonably may prefer to be playing football rather than spending more time on the bench at that stage of his career and think a club closer to home, that he has an affection for and some regular football and the lure of european games (not many  pros can say that they have played in europe, even if just the europa cup and must be a professional lure for the cv)   Players move for more than just the quality of football (Anelka to China, Becks/Keane to USA etc) so we cant say its ludicrous for this move to happen.     

His age is why he is not worth £20m+ and I agree that £2m is not enough.  But there is a line where the club may think the offer is too good - much over £3m is in the ooh I need to think about it range, £5m and you take it - for me anyway.

As for not GH commenting thats fair enough - the club confirmed there was a bid and that they have said no.

I do not want a club legend to leave and he does need to stay this season as the minimum.  but beyond that?

Holt is massive for us Zip. In the team or on the bench. And to think folk were complaining because Worthy let Iwan go at 36 when he was well past his best. Holty can contribute here for at least 3 more seasons if he is keeping himself fit. Anyway, Rangers is a step down. Championship standard at best and finishing 2nd in their league is failure.

RANGERS CAN''T GUARANTEE HIM CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL

Will people stop perpetuating this myth please? Since last season only the Scottish champions get to go into the qualifying rounds for the Champions League. 2nd place get the Europa League.

Qualifying rounds is as far as they get. I can remember when playing for Wrexham gave you a chance of European football. They didn''t attract good players either.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

Rangers have made an offer and norwich have rejected it.

For Norwich he is a 30 yo striker who is at the top of his game right now and is integral to the squad.

But likewise he is unlikely to improve from how he performs now and realistically is likely to be able to perform at this level much beyond next season.  He already finds himself on the bench regularly and when we look to go shopping in the summer I would expect a striker to be on the list, and with Vaughan coming back that may make the number of appearances fall.  Like Malky before him Grant quite reasonably may prefer to be playing football rather than spending more time on the bench at that stage of his career and think a club closer to home, that he has an affection for and some regular football and the lure of european games (not many  pros can say that they have played in europe, even if just the europa cup and must be a professional lure for the cv)   Players move for more than just the quality of football (Anelka to China, Becks/Keane to USA etc) so we cant say its ludicrous for this move to happen.     

His age is why he is not worth £20m+ and I agree that £2m is not enough.  But there is a line where the club may think the offer is too good - much over £3m is in the ooh I need to think about it range, £5m and you take it - for me anyway.

As for not GH commenting thats fair enough - the club confirmed there was a bid and that they have said no.

I do not want a club legend to leave and he does need to stay this season as the minimum.  but beyond that?

[/quote]

Unless the bid is at least £6m it''s a definite no for me and even at £6m I probably still wouldn''t take it. 

Who knows how much longer Holt can perform like he is in the Prem, imho at least 2 more seasons after this one?  He may do so until he is 34 or 35.  He may be playing pro football well into his late 30''s, bearing in mind he probably has never earned as much as he is now so he is building up his post football playing retirement fund.  He''s not like a 30 year old Michael Owen who has earned god knows what for god knows how long.

Furthermore, Holt has shed even more weight this year and looks a yard quicker, that bit more agile, which his performances have shown.  Holt also has a very good fitness record for us in terms of number of games missed through injury.

Perhaps with any new additions in January Holt can get more starts in a team that works better with him and Moro up front or Moro on the bench and Holt up front with Jacko or Vaughny.

Selling Holt now or in the summer would be a massive mistake imho.  He adds so much to us far beyond what happens on the pitch. 

I''m not convinced Moro will hang around and should a big enough bid come in from the likes of Newcastle it wouldn''t surprise me to see him going in the summer and if that were to happen I''d feel a lot more comfortable knowing that we still had Holty here.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Holt is massive for us Zip. In the team or on the bench. And to think folk were complaining because Worthy let Iwan go at 36 when he was well past his best. Holty can contribute here for at least 3 more seasons if he is keeping himself fit. Anyway, Rangers is a step down. Championship standard at best and finishing 2nd in their league is failure.

[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Not said I want him to leave Nutty - just every player has his price!  And none of know how long he can offer us what he does now.   Thats a touch decision.   I like that Grant choses not to comment and that the club said. No - right responses - teh rest is simply a what if.

Malky chose to leave because he would not not start each week.  If Grant comes to the decision thats fine too - but also not the club kicking him out.

I reckon it boils down to how realistic the club is as a whole.  I mean McNally & Co could think Grant Holt''s sale is the equivalent of a ¼ of a ground expansion paid up front. For a 31 year old, I''d think about it if the offer was large enough.

norfolkbroadslim - I agree that Grant can be playing football until 34-35;   my comments should be read that I have assumed that we will remain a premier club and  my opinion is that GH will perform at his current premier level for prob no more than a season and a half - beyond that he may not.  

There is no reason why Holt cannot be like Kevin Phillips and playing until 37; whether that is with norwich or in the prem.  At some stage he will not be up to what we need from a striker and that when we sell or let him go, 

Let me make it clear, I do not think Norwich should be choosing to sell Holt now or in the summer.  but I will also be looking for us to strengthen our strikers in the summer.

Norwich were not looking to sell Malky either - the player wanted something different - and in that situation we cant do much else than respect the players choice.  but not blame the club.  If thats what Grant want then I will have a heavy heart -  but I will thank him and let him go with my blessing.

Rangers appear to be currently teetering on the brink of administration.

They are trying to sell off Jelavic in this transfer window.

If they manage to sell him, they''ll want to bring in a replacement target man at a profit.

Without being able to answer either of your two questions, I''ll wager that he''d earn less at Rangers than he currently does.

For that reason, I''d be very surprised if it would be attractive to him, unless he''s currently unhappy.