Sign in to follow this  
MPR

Who's the most improved player

Bearing in mind it''s a hell of a leap from Div 1 (as was) to Premiership level and Hucks said that he felt for all those who played a lot last year and were hardly going to get a look in this (though bar WLY that''s not really happened) I was wondering who had seen the biggest improvement in their game.

Here are my starters for 10:

Greeno and Flem and Eddy (whose red card was a tad harsh in my eyes) are as reliable as ever.

Drury: Not really improved, wanted too much time for clearances etc at the start of the season, Charlton is a way ahead at the mo

Francis- really catching the eye and on last night''s highlights making those badly needed runs into the middle we were lacking when he was out

Mullers/Holt- not great and the creative midfielder tag might be slipping

McKenzie- Works his bits off but 1 goal in 21 games now

Svensson- Again, working really hard but lacking on the goals front

Hucks- in terms of how much his game has changed, he''s the most improved for me. Against Spurs and Boro we''ve seen him charge 40-50 yards to make defensive interventions which is something we hardly ever saw last year.

This summer when I looked at last season''s team and thought, who will struggle in the Prem, the first one I thought of (and I''m sure I''m not alone) was Francis. How wrong I was! He must be the most improved player by miles. He''s taken to it like a duck to water, the highlight of the season so far for me.

most improved for me is edworthy and francis. both been invaluble members of the team and we wud struggle without them. green and huckerby have basically carried on as they left off.

Green - Revels in playing against the best. Carries on making fine saves, aren''t many in The Premiership I''d want other than Greeno. Has played above my expectations to be fair.

Edworthy - Struggles with positioning and the mental side of Premiership defending. Movement and attacking acumen of opposition is too much for him at this level. Capable with the ball going forward however. What I expected from Steady Eddie.

Drury - Hasn''t stepped up. Still playing like he''s in the Championship, expects time and space, and for wingers to make the mistake. Allows things to happen which he could prevent. Thought he was going to be much better.

Fleming - Had a few dodgy games, though his reading of the game most of the time is superb. Adapted fairly well, just lacks a yard of pace that would make him a good defender at this level. Happy with him in the centre of our defence. What I expected from our Player of the Season last year.

Holt - Struggled with Premiership football. I fully expected Holt to be the heartbeat of our team, but just hasn''t looked like the real Gary Holt. Could get away with just putting himself in the way with constant running in the Championship, gets bypassed against quality opposition. Convinced that the Gary Holt of eary last season would be a good player in the Premiership. Hope he gets fully fit soon. Not as good as I expected.

Francis: Showing in every game this season what he gave us glimpses of last year. Like Green, enjoys testing himself against the very best. Thought he would do well this season, hence why he''s in my Sun Dream Team! Nobody could have expected him to have adapted so well however. Gone way above my expectations.

Huckerby: Seems to have lost his ability to cross the ball as effectively this season. Last year, he would beat two defenders before crossing or squaring the ball. Does too much and inevitably loses out against better quality opposition. No doubt though he is good enough for this level; Spurs 2nd half was awesome. Just as I expected, our main attacking outlet.

McKenzie: Thought he would have scored more personally. Gives 110% every game. Didn''t know he had quite so much pace, does look clumsy at times. Some parts of his play show real class, lets not forget how far he has come in a year...Hasn''t done as well as I thought, or hoped.

Svensson: Has got some crucial goals for us. Started very slowly, but got his fitness back and came on against Everton to change the game. When on form, he can cut it at this level, we just never know what Mat Svensson will turn up. Has done as well as I expected, and there''s more to come I think.

Best: Francis
Worst: Drury

francis without a doubt. bentleys certainly come on a lot recently though... more  creative play and crosses as apposed to taking a shot from wherever he is on the pitch.

Clearly Francis gets my vote for most improved player! I have noticed Greeno has started to punch the ball alot more this season - I am afraid he might be learning bad habbits from the England camp - apart from that he has been brilliant again.

I think Green is punching alot more (especially Saturday) due to the terrible conditions, the new Nike ball, and the fact he is pretty good at punching, and it could set Huckerby away on the counter even quicker.

has to be francis. Clearly playing at his best!

theres no doubt about it - Francis

i am a fan of Drury and hes been slightly dissapointing this season because i thought he would be great in the prem. I expected too much perhaps. I stil think him and McKenzie and a few other can come good