Sign in to follow this  
unique

Lambert 1 Rodgers 0

As both these managers seem to be regularly mentioned in the national media under the same breath, it''s nice to see PL proving more astute with his use of resources.

Both clubs had awkward but winnable away ties. With next week''s Premiership matches firmly in mind, Lambert made 5 changes, Rodgers made 10.

End result - Norwich through to the next round with the fans ecstatic; Swansea get knocked out with many Swansea fans questioning Rodger''s team selection.

Lambert''s use of his squad has being nothing short of brilliant this season, and it has certainly saved the board from the pressure of spending any money this transfer window.

I think we may see one more, but as you say that is for long term development rather than immediate necessity
Players are coming into the team who were written off. Lappin and Drury certainly surprised a few - me included. Wilbraham looks to be up to the job of keeping the momentum going when Holt and/or Morison have to come off. Whitbread and Paella have steadied the centre of defence - both having been out with injury for some while. Jed Steer has exceeded all expectations,likewise Rudd who did not look out of place.Surnam has flourished, looking more and more at home in the Premier League. Pilks and Bennett may not look the finished article but a certainly getting better with each month. We''ve got four out on loan in Smith, Francombe, Martin and Adeyemi so there''s every chance at least one will be ''up to speed'' by next season. Chuck in the returning Ward and Vaughan and the squads in good shape. But at this level you can never really have to many in reserve. The pace of the game takes it''s toll, especially on the likes of Holt and Morison where strikers at other clubs are not chasing down the opposition constantly. That requires back up, players who are suited to the job, not like i. the old days where somebody was expected to switch and play out of place to cover. The first half of the season we felt our way forward and slowly established ourselves in this league. There is always the suggestion that it is harder in the second half of the season as clubs know how to play you and you get found out etc. We seem to have turned that on it''s head by ''finding out'' the opposition. 7 points out of 9 so far (and 2 cup wins). We have to kick on from here. A top ten finish is now a must, if only for financial reasons and a cup run is also long overdue.It''s beginning to feel like the second half of the last two seasons, if only in the sense that the belief appears to be there in the club, the manager and the players, if not with some of the fans.Memorable days, my fellow City fans, memorable days.

Agree city1st.

I think Lambert sees the value in all players and is honest with them too. I think he also realises that to keep the squad happy and chomping at the bit it does no harm at all to let them all taste the flavour of success.

Our biggest strength is our flexibility in individuals, personel and systems. Our formation can change without subs. We have started with Hoolahan suggestingva diamond yet played 4-4-2.

A lot of teams come up and try to stick to one formation or to only change it when they feel the opposition could dominate.

Lambert appears to be able to pick the formation that suits or change it quickly if it doesnt.

The other thing is that the coaching staff appear to spot on developing all of the players. Last season it wasnt until Wes coming on for a hat-trick that you could almost feel the relief or relaxing of the team. From that point on it was pretty smooth running.

They appear to get better with each game and at no point have we been push overs. We have never given up and we only lie down when Holt does in celebration of a goal!

[quote user="chicken"]Agree city1st. I think Lambert sees the value in all players and is honest with them too. I think he also realises that to keep the squad happy and chomping at the bit it does no harm at all to let them all taste the flavour of success. Our biggest strength is our flexibility in individuals, personel and systems. Our formation can change without subs. We have started with Hoolahan suggestingva diamond yet played 4-4-2. A lot of teams come up and try to stick to one formation or to only change it when they feel the opposition could dominate. Lambert appears to be able to pick the formation that suits or change it quickly if it doesnt. The other thing is that the coaching staff appear to spot on developing all of the players. Last season it wasnt until Wes coming on for a hat-trick that you could almost feel the relief or relaxing of the team. From that point on it was pretty smooth running. They appear to get better with each game and at no point have we been push overs. We have never given up and we only lie down when Holt does in celebration of a goal![/quote]

I think that sums us up to a t Chicken, the whole team is in unisun and not just the Starting 11, yesterday also we saw Jed Steer''s coming of age and the team looked very relaxed with him and had confidence with the Keeper, being a former keeper myself I know how it feels for your back 4 to have confidence in you it settles all early nearves and we saw no evidence of him being nervous or the rest of the team, But must admit I was when the subs were made, how silly of me