Sign in to follow this  
Bill

5th round here we come

Not reached this stage since 2003, and our previous successes in the early 90''sStrangely our record is fairly evenly (rather scarily) balancedover the past 100 yearsWe''ve won 95 games and lost 96 games, with 56 drawnScored 398, conceded 396So let''s knock the tired old ''Saggies'' out and get a decent name out of the bag on Sunday....... it''s also worth £90,000 to the winner

I''m hoping the reserves will play on Saturday, we''ve got a hard away game Wednesday night and then on Saturday Bolton will be fighting for their lives. Big week coming up so I would not play the first team at all.

Let''s hope so, winning just improves confidence, so the old excuse of "concentrating on the league" is just that, an excuse.

If we were to get through id rather we got drawn against a lower league team. There can be that little bit more of an edge to the game compared to when your playing a team from your own league. No more like the MK Dons though please!

[quote user="City1st"]Not reached this stage since 2003, and our previous successes in the early 90''sStrangely our record is fairly evenly (rather scarily) balancedover the past 100 yearsWe''ve won 95 games and lost 96 games, with 56 drawnScored 398, conceded 396So let''s knock the tired old ''Saggies'' out and get a decent name out of the bag on Sunday....... it''s also worth £90,000 to the winner

[/quote]Right on,  too many pant-wetters are worrying about the flippin'' league.  We can do both, we already play 8 games less than the Championship without the cup games.  Plus Fulham have turned in 50 games without too much worry.

It''s a fair point number 9. I just feel that with the reduced fixture list in the premiership you should have enough to put out a competitive team in the cups.

If you have a cup run you train less cause your playing more games and players like games better than training!

Not many teams actually rest loads of 1st team regulars in the FA cup these days anyway. I''m sure we''ll have a different line up to what we saw against Chelsea last week but I''m certain none of Saturdays Norwich will be no hopers who would never be considered for a League game!

[quote user="a1canary"]How much do we get just for showing our faces on Sky for a league game these days?[/quote]at the moment, nothingas in we are guaranteed a set amount for a set number of gamesthe FA cup money is extra

I''m pretty sure the 3,000+ City fans going to the game won''t be too chuffed if we put out a reserve side with the intention of getting beaten.I hope we put out our strongest team and try to win the game, just like any other game.  We''re in a good position in the league and we can possibly make a great season even better should we get through and get a kind draw.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I''m pretty sure the 3,000+ City fans going to the game won''t be too chuffed if we put out a reserve side with the intention of getting beaten.I hope we put out our strongest team and try to win the game, just like any other game.  We''re in a good position in the league and we can possibly make a great season even better should we get through and get a kind draw.[/quote]spot on

I expect a strong side, as per the Burnley game, but I wouldn''t bemoan a recall for the likes of Tierney, and I would like to see Steer get his debut.

[quote user="City1st"]Not reached this stage since 2003, and our previous successes in the early 90''

[/quote]I''m sure I went to Chelsea for a 5th round match in 2007.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

If you have a cup run you train less cause your playing more games and players like games better than training!

Not many teams actually rest loads of 1st team regulars in the FA cup these days anyway. I''m sure we''ll have a different line up to what we saw against Chelsea last week but I''m certain none of Saturdays Norwich will be no hopers who would never be considered for a League game!

[/quote]

Seeing as we have no ''no-hopers'' at the Club that''s not a hard statement to make.

Everyone worrying about the league, go look at the 11 POINTS between us and 18th place please. And tell me exactly how, even if we get the FA Cup final, two of Bolton, Wolves and Blackburn are going to win 11 more point than us this season?

Its not either/or, were not Birmingham, with 3-4 key players, they lost a couple of key players are were stuffed, we have a squad. Lambert showed he can even bring Lappin in and he can play to a good standard. We have three strikers scoring goals, with another one (potentially better than all three of them) coming back to fitness) we have an abundance of midfielders, the defence doesn''t really get much weaker being shifted around (We have had 3/4 unavailable CBs at certain points this season).

The squad is extremely fit, we may not have the largest squad but we have good strength in the depth we have. We can afford to play to win in the cup, were not in a relegation dog fight, and since everyone is so unambitious they think 17th place is still where were aiming for, we need to lose a few games anyway.

[quote user="City1st"]Not reached this stage since 2003, and our previous successes in the early 90''s

Strangely our record is fairly evenly (rather scarily) balancedover the past 100 years

We''ve won 95 games and lost 96 games, with 56 drawn

Scored 398, conceded 396

So let''s knock the tired old ''Saggies'' out and get a decent name out of the bag on Sunday

....... it''s also worth £90,000 to the winner

[/quote]

And staying in the Premier is worth £40 million plus.. .do the maths!  [:|]

No Wiz, thats what relegation is worth.... The famous £40 million figure, is one years TV money and the parachute payments.

AND WERE NOT IN A RELEGATION FIGHT.

We are 9th, 11 points in front of the relegation places, has anyone actually looked at the table recently? It would take some major disaster just for those teams to catch up.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No Wiz, thats what relegation is worth.... The famous £40 million figure, is one years TV money and the parachute payments. AND WERE NOT IN A RELEGATION FIGHT. We are 9th, 11 points in front of the relegation places, has anyone actually looked at the table recently? It would take some major disaster just for those teams to catch up.[/quote]

And if we lose just two key players through a poxy, devalued cup run, then what?

Lets say, God forbid, Holt an Morison.

Then we have Jackson and Vaughan.

Why would Holt and Morison suddenly both get injured just because its the FA Cup?

Even if we lost Holt and Morison, we could still win enough games to stay up.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Then we have Jackson and Vaughan. Why would Holt and Morison suddenly both get injured just because its the FA Cup? Even if we lost Holt and Morison, we could still win enough games to stay up.[/quote]

Hmm? I doubt that GP, however...

Whilst I would never chear for Worse Brom, I wouldn''t be too gutted if we lost, whereas I would be if we lose to Sunderlannd.

Funny that, as it''s just what the West Brom fans are also saying, and Hodgson has said the league is his main priority, but we all know Hodgson always plays mind games with the media, but they have greater need to put the league first so could be a weak side against us tomorrow, the club say we were given 5000 tickets with over 3000 +sold so what ever happens we stand to have the biggest away following so far this season, and with that in mind I can''t see us playing to lose.

I would almost expect to lose to Sunderland, it won''t be easy for either team. But away to Sunderland, with MoN incharge is going to be very hard. We''ve already beaten WBA away, we can do it again.

Lambert obviously isn''t going to go for the best X1, not that he necessarily has a set best X1, but it certainly won''t be a MK Dons effort from the players that do play.

But if your going to be gutted if we lose to Sunderland, you must feel like that quite a few times this season?

Do people ever read the miserable shi-ite they come out with on here?I consider myself not to be an old git (30yrs old) and i do in fact feel that the F.A cup has become devalued for whatever reasons....However,....we have a great opportunity to get a really good run in this competition.  We as a club have never won it, most of our fans these days in the ground will not have seen us win anything of note ever..... (and i mean at the highest level....not league 1 etc).Let alone the point that purposely playing an understrength side is spitting in the face of 5000odd people who will have forked out a lot of money to see their side give it a go!  Fortunately i don''t think its a problem as Lambert is a born winner,knows about the confidence a good cup run can bring.....plus has won medals himself.People can get injured just as easily in training as in a cup match.  There is no excuse for going out in a whimper.  I wouldnt stand for it, 5000 fans shouldnt stand for it...and P.L im sure would not stand for it.So get off your miserable a**e and support the side!! OTBC and CTFU (cheer the f*** up)

Well, I''ve got two tickets to go and see them tomorrow. I''ve not got to a Prem fixture yet, so I''m hoping that norwich make a good case for themselves.

I''d hope that we could compete in both. Some people only like to try and promote the FA Cup as devalued and yet after the World Cup the final is one of the biggest TV audiences in worldwide and a great showcase for clubs, managers and players, it is still one of the best pieces of silverware imo.

With the news today that the FA are going to work hard so that league and FA cup fixtures do not "clash" in having a detrimental effect on clubs that should allay some of the moaning nannies fears.

[quote user="K Lo"]Well, I''ve got two tickets to go and see them tomorrow. I''ve not got to a Prem fixture yet, so I''m hoping that norwich make a good case for themselves.
[/quote]

Your probably not on your own there "K Lo", many fans only get to see them when they are in the cup matches, I was at the Burnley match and only spotted a couple of Regular S/T fans in the Lower Barclay, tomorrow we stand to have 5000 there myself included and can''t see Lambert telling the team we don''t want to win, At worst, a replay at Carrow road.  

We used to make good FA Cup runs in the late ''80s AND compete well in the top leauge, so i don''t think that they are mutually exclusive. Besides, it does seem as though Lambert is pressing for a Cup run although we did roll over in the League Cup!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No Wiz, thats what relegation is worth.... The famous £40 million figure, is one years TV money and the parachute payments. AND WERE NOT IN A RELEGATION FIGHT. We are 9th, 11 points in front of the relegation places, has anyone actually looked at the table recently? It would take some major disaster just for those teams to catch up.[/quote]

And if we lose just two key players through a poxy, devalued cup run, then what?

[/quote]

How long did we lose Ayala for while we were trying to lose to MK Dons[:^)]

There''s two sides to every coin Wiz!

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I''d  rather we won something at Sunderland.......thats far more vital, to deny that is stupid.

[/quote]

A loss against Sunderland would cost us three points which could be made up at another time whereas a loss tomorrow ends our only chance of winning a trophy this season. Doesn''t sount that stupid to me. Anyway can''t we win tomorrow and beat Sunderland?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

How long did we lose Ayala for while we were trying to lose to MK Dons[:^)]

There''s two sides to every coin Wiz!

[/quote]

Wiz is on a wind up mission folks.