Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Rudd out for season???

someone just tweeted that Rudd is out for the season???

Can anyone confirm? And if its true then we will have to get another keeper in surely.........

We will see if this rumour has any substance when the teams are announced this afternoon.

Paddy is going to ask Lambo in the post match press conference, so we shall find out!

If Rudd is out for the season that leaves Lambert with a tricky one. Spend some of his available funds on a player we won''t need come the end of the season, or risk it with Ruddy and the very enexperienced yet talented Steer?

What would you do?

Don''t think there is any question that if Rudd is out that long we''d get someone in, possibly on loan. You need cover, and whilst jed is good, were Ruddy to get injured we''d be in the poo.

Sad to hear that - Rudd looked good in the FA cup last week - I think he''s matured a lot over the course of the season. If he''s only out for two months, then I think we should stick with Steer... He obviously doesn''t have experience at present, but conversely if we throw money at some ageing backup ''keeper to sit on the bench, purely on the basis that he''s played a few top-flight games before, then Jed''s never going to gain that experience, is he?! I''d hate to see Steer''s huge potential go to waste, as happened (from our perspective at least) with Joe Lewis.

Realistically, it''s not often that goalkeepers get injured anyhow, so I''d hope PL gives him the opportunity to be a part of the matchday squad and learn from being around the senior players, being in on tactical briefings etc.

Keepers might not get injured too often, but they do get sent off .... I would worry if we had only one inexperienced spare keeper. It''s a lot to ask of Steer.

Now we are +11 pts from relagation so only something forcemajor can make this happen so I belive we not need any gamble and must cover bench with expiriensed keeper.

We all remember when Bryan Gunn broke his leg away at Forest I think we put Andy Marshal no expiriense at that minute and after this game we win only 1 game and relagated even was in january on very good position.

All in all I not see Steer to do any job if need to play some games simply because is too young.

We need to make insurance on this very important position and belive not need any other overpriced players at the moment.

Do not rule out Steer for lack of experience.

Rudd

League appearances   10

International youth appearances   18

Steer

League appearances (on loan)   12

International youth appearances  18

I would not have been surprised if Rudd had been loaned out in the second half of the season and Steer take up the position on the bench.

We have two very good young keepers and both need to play.

As much as I dislike the loan system I feel it is a necessary evil for young goalkeepers (as with Hart, Foster, Forster etc,).

From what little I''ve heard i''m sure Rudd and Steer are mean''t to be fairly equal in talent aren''t they? And those stats show Steer has actually made more league appearances than Rudd. If Lambert is happy with Rudd and/or Steer in the future, I don''t think he will actually bother trying to sign a GK now, obviously it will be a risk if Ruddy gets injured, but if the right player for the right price isn''t available, its a risk I can see Lambert taking.

You can get an emergency loan for a keeper which might well apply if Ruddy was injured.As others have said stick with Steer. Do the lad the world of good.I''m sure he''s up to it or he wouldn''t be at Carrow Road

I think that Rudd and Steer are more than capable of stepping up to the first team when needed and not letting us down.I expect that one or both of our young keepers will be challenging for the Number 1 shirt over the next year or two.  We are very lucky to still be producing such quality keepers through our youth set up.I would rather not waste the money on loaning a keeper unless we have another injury to Ruddy or Steer.

I think we do need a backup keeper. In case of suspensions mostly. A sub from a Championship club would probably do.

[quote user="City1st"]You can get an emergency loan for a keeper which might well apply if Ruddy was injured.

As others have said stick with Steer. Do the lad the world of good.

I''m sure he''s up to it or he wouldn''t be at Carrow Road

[/quote]

There is a danger in assuming we can get an emergency loan. If we don''t use this transfer window to get in another keeper, when we have the chance, and then Ruddy gets injured (or Steer) it is quite possible the Premier League would not sanction such a loan, on the basis that we had deliberately left ourselves without adequate cover. I think I''m right in saying that by just having the three the start of the season we had fewer keepers than any other PL club. To try to carry on with just two would be asking for trouble.

All the other clubs around us in this desperate relegation dogfight[:P] would complain if we then tried for a loan.

"Stick with Steer" might be good Roy of the Rovers stuff, and I''m sure he has a great future ahead - but right now, we don''t have the luxury of just putting him on to see how he performs. If we were 5-0 up with 20 minutes to go in a game, that would be the time to give him some first-team experience. However, "you have to play 90 minutes against Man United because Ruddy has pulled a hamstring in the warm-up" would NOT be the right time!

I say again:

"I would not have been surprised if Rudd had been loaned out in the second half of the season and Steer take up the position on the bench.

We have two very good young keepers and both need to play.

As much as I dislike the loan system I feel it is a necessary evil for young goalkeepers (as with Hart, Foster, Forster etc,)."

But let us still be patient, I can recall many goalkeepers who have been very good in their early careers only to fade in their mid-twenties. Mervyn Day at West Ham was going to be England''s keeper for a decade as was Paul Robinson. Both were good keepers, Robinson still is, but they never reached the heights some people thought they would. And it may still happen to Joe Hart.

Do not go overboard on one performance. If ever patience was needed with the progress of a footballer it is with a goalkeeper.

Paul Robinson would have and shoud have been England no 1 for many years if it wasn''t for our lovely media!