Sign in to follow this  
Rudolph Hucker

Howson's Inauspicious Start

[quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]He''ll be in Latham''s this afternoon sorting his tackle out, ready to track down a mighty Thurne pike.[/quote]If he goes too near Riverside and picks up any of the local bait, the NHS will need to sort his tackle out.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]He''ll be in Latham''s this afternoon sorting his tackle out, ready to track down a mighty Thurne pike.[/quote]If he goes too near Riverside and picks up any of the local bait, the NHS will need to sort his tackle out.[/quote][:D]

[quote user="WW"]He wasn''t appreciated, because, as I''ve been telling you, aside from a handful of games and some important goals, he''s been average with a capital A for us and never really had much affection from the stands. He''s the most forgettable captain we''ve ever had.[/quote]That statement doesn''t seem to fit with the general furore that has blown up amongst Leeds fans because of his sale though does it?In any case, I think I''ll trust the judgement of Paul Lambert any day of the week as against a load of sour grapes from bitter Leeds fans. We simply don''t care what you think.So be a good lad - run along now, there''s a good boy...and pick your toys up after you.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="The Jewish Cowboy"]He''ll be in Latham''s this afternoon sorting his tackle out, ready to track down a mighty Thurne pike.[/quote]If he goes too near Riverside and picks up any of the local bait, the NHS will need to sort his tackle out.[/quote]Nah, he int called Jonny for nothing

[quote user="Loopzilla"][quote user="WW"]He wasn''t appreciated, because, as I''ve been telling you, aside from a handful of games and some important goals, he''s been average with a capital A for us and never really had much affection from the stands. He''s the most forgettable captain we''ve ever had.[/quote]That statement doesn''t seem to fit with the general furore that has blown up amongst Leeds fans because of his sale though does it?In any case, I think I''ll trust the judgement of Paul Lambert any day of the week as against a load of sour grapes from bitter Leeds fans. We simply don''t care what you think.So be a good lad - run along now, there''s a good boy...and pick your toys up after you.[/quote]

The furore is mostly because he''s a home grown lad and we''ve had enough of Bates'' selling and not reinvesting.

During his time here, how many times has Howson been in the top three of the clubs Player Of The Year (voted by the fans)? I think he came in third last year because he was played behind the front man most of the season (his best position) but other than that never.

Mr Reliably Average in midfield.

[quote user="canary_bird"]We''ll see what sort of player Lambert turns him into - then will be the time to judge him,[/quote]

Which, in fairness, is pretty much what WW has been saying for days!

I rather got the impression that WW is eager to put over how average Howson is in every way, not sure why he is so obsessed with this as you''d think he wouldn''t be too much of a loss to the team in that case ...

Well, I''m sure Matty Pattison would be a more than adequate replacement.

[quote user="canary_bird"]We''ll see what sort of player Lambert turns him into - then will be the time to judge him,[/quote]

You have an excellent manager.

There''s less pressure at your club, your club treats it''s fans well, your board works WITH your manager not against him. You''re all working toward the same goal. Our club is rotten from the top down, our chairman''s only aim is to make monkey...and not spend it on the side. Your club is thriving and positive, ours is treading miserable, rancid water.

I expect Jonny to reach his potential with you. Your club environment is ideal for lower leaguers with potential.

[quote user="canary_bird"]I rather got the impression that WW is eager to put over how average Howson is in every way, not sure why he is so obsessed with this as you''d think he wouldn''t be too much of a loss to the team in that case ...

Well, I''m sure Matty Pattison would be a more than adequate replacement.[/quote]

Doubt it...

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20120127/no-united-deal-for-matty_2247585_2589879

I seem to remember reading somewhere the other day that Howson had won Man of the Match more times this season than any other Leeds player.

If true, he can''t by definition be just average, can he?

[quote user="WW"][quote user="canary_bird"]I rather got the impression that WW is eager to put over how average Howson is in every way, not sure why he is so obsessed with this as you''d think he wouldn''t be too much of a loss to the team in that case ...

Well, I''m sure Matty Pattison would be a more than adequate replacement.[/quote]

Doubt it...

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20120127/no-united-deal-for-matty_2247585_2589879[/quote]

Such a shame ... his middle name is Average, so would have been a perfect fit.

[quote user="Lambert is god"]

I seem to remember reading somewhere the other day that Howson had won Man of the Match more times this season than any other Leeds player.

If true, he can''t by definition be just average, can he?

[/quote]

You read wrong.

Adam Clayton and Snodgrass have had the most MOM''s for us this season.

[quote user="Ruddygore"]I don''t care how much you beg Willard, you''re not having Delia and McNasty.[/quote]

Haha.

[quote user="WW"]

There''s less pressure at your club, your club treats it''s fans well, your board works WITH your manager not against him. You''re all working toward the same goal. Our club is rotten from the top down, our chairman''s only aim is to make monkey...and not spend it on the side. Your club is thriving and positive, ours is treading miserable, rancid water. I expect Jonny to reach his potential with you. Your club environment is ideal for lower leaguers with potential.[/quote]

Questionable. Howson has joined a club owned by paupers that needs to pay off £20m in debt in the next year and a half while trying to stay in the squillionaire Premier League. I don''t see that as less pressured than him being at a historically bigger club trying to get out of the Championship.

As to Bates and his policies, I haven''t studied the situation at Leeds (since he makes it all but impossible to know what is going on) but in his defence is he not at least in part trying to avoid the catastrophic mistakes of the Ridsdale era?

Depends what you define as pressure. He will be playing for a manager and players that demand pretty high standards. If you mean he isn''t going to get slaughtered like Rachubka and O''Brien were, when they made errors then probably not.

I don''t understand this preoccupation with having to pay off the debt. It is certainly true, but were we to stay up it is well within the bounds of the finances that the club will receive, and there is nothing stopping us refinancing/getting a lower loan with better terms.

I think our Leeds friend’s assessment of his club vs ours is accurate. The main players off the pitch are all working with and for the manager and with the fans. The owners too have only one interest. NCFC.

What are Bate''s interests? What is he doing there? He certainly isn''t a fan. He doesnt like the Leeds fans. With all the mysteries surrounding the ownership, no-one really knows what is going on behind the scenes there and how many different interests are playing out. Unsurprisingly with that man around there can only be an air of deep mistrust between owner, fans , management and staff which will always erode any chance of real progress on the pitch. It''s a horrendous state of affairs that is unfortunately being played out at far too many clubs.

We must

a) thank our lucky stars that it''s not happening to us

b) never ever let it happen to us by ceding control of our club to a megalomaniac like Bates or a rich individual who want to ride the E P L bandwagon on behalf of his own business interests (Fernandes, Briattore, Venkys etc)

I think Howson would have gone some way to have beaten Mick Wadworth''s arrival at Norwich,

as I recall he was then Carlisle manager when the then Norwich manager Gary Megson recruited him to be his asst manager.

At his final press conference at Carlisle to announce his departure to Norwich he broke down in tears debating as to whether he was doing the right thing?!?.........I think he was with us for a couple of months before buggering back up north to manage some other lower division club

Howson was trying to be respectful towards the club he supports, he was at since a youth, and who were interviewing him. If you actually listen to his words, he talked a lot about how he was going to a great club.Howson seems well grounded and isn''t a primadonna. It would be a great idea to get Eadie to help him with fishing so that it helps Howson settle into the area and feel at home.With Howson and Johnson at Norwich, Snodgrass must be wishing that he could join them. I wouldn''t be surprised if one of the reasons why they have been signed is to help attract Snodgrass.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]Howson was trying to be respectful towards the club he supports, he was at since a youth, and who were interviewing him. If you actually listen to his words, he talked a lot about how he was going to a great club.Howson seems well grounded and isn''t a primadonna. It would be a great idea to get Eadie to help him with fishing so that it helps Howson settle into the area and feel at home.With Howson and Johnson at Norwich, Snodgrass must be wishing that he could join them. I wouldn''t be surprised if one of the reasons why they have been signed is to help attract Snodgrass.[/quote]

With respect, I don''t think he''ll end up with you. I think everyone outside the top 5 will have their eye on his situation.

There''ll be plenty of interest when he becomes available.

Quite a  few Leeds fans rated Howson as distinctly better than average before Lambert started sniffing around:

"Howson, we all agree, is a special commodity."

"There''s no doubt Howson could hold his own in the PL. I would venture the environment would see him develop into twice the player he is now. We need to keep him, and be seen to want to keep him. That means highest earner now, with a trigger clause if we get promoted."

"Selfishly and personally, losing Howson would make me really angry. I''ll be honest, I don''t want to lose Howson or Snodgrass. If we lost any of the others I could live with it. I''d be sad at losing the others, but when I come back from playing football (poorly) and make kicking movements pretending to shoot in my living room in front of my despairing wife, I only say the names Snodgrass and Howson. Sad? Yes. The truth? Yes."

(All taken from ''The Scratching Shed'' Leeds Utd fans'' website from last October, when speculating whether Howson would re-sign.)

Pretty happy with that. Lambert will fire him up big time, Martin O''Neill styleeeee.

WW, Two questions:

1. Do you feel that you have a better eye for players than Paul Lambert?

and

2. I quote you: "I expect Jonny to reach his potential with you. Your club environment is ideal for lower leaguers with potential." - So, right now you say he is an average championship midfielder... So, Where does his potential lay?

Just curious like.

..and just to add to the ''pressure'' statement, he''s going to be experiencing a far bigger pressure and that is having to perform on the larger stage, and it may come in far smaller packages.

He may never even break into the first team as a regular, and this has got to be on his mind coming in inkured.

I''m sure up until his injury he was one of the first names on the sheet.