Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

A conumdrum for next season

[quote user="drurys testamonials mark 15"][quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"] 

SDP - can you somehow restrict the size of a quote?[8o|]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just like that, as that isn''t what ABC was asking....

[:)]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The current club personnel strategy on the football side is to recruit from the lower divisions, pay within a wage cap + incentives, and place great emphasis on squad unity.

This presents something of a conundrum which not well handled has the potential to capsize our boat.

Proceeding on the basis that we shall be in the Premiership next season, the question of this particular club strategy will have to be reviewed because (a) Lambert has determined that the lower divisions recruitment pool is almost dry and (b) recruitment from either within the Prem or from overseas is almost inevitably going to depend on our ability to deal with the consequential wage demands even if we can deal with 2/3 heavier transfer fees.

Recuitment to improve squad quality will be a sine qua non for both stability and progression in the Prem. Thus, for next season we may well decide to bring in 2/3 ''higher quality'' players. The big question will be how we deal with their wage requirements - which will almost inevitably be considerably above our current wage cap - without endangering the vital squad unity we have (which sometimes seems almost as important to us as having a proverbial ''twelfth man'').

Provided that we do not compromise on the character of these 2/3 recruits from the Prem/abroad I would imagine that all should be well provided that all squad members have adequate personal and team incentives built into their contracts.

I have considerable faith in the capacity of BowkerMcNallyLambert to deal with this issue.  

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

As the Premier League pays the highest wages in European football bringing in players from other leagues is generally the cheaper option. Average wages in the Championship are higher than average wages in La Liga (excluding the top 4 teams). I would hope if we stay in the Premier League this year Norwich start to establish a decent scouting network abroad.

[/quote]

That was supposedly one of the attributes/aims of Ewan Chester, the chief scout we hired amid some fanfare back in May 2010. He''s got excellent experience and connections throughout Britain and Europe, Lambert said at the time. Chester left just over a year later, so who knows whether any such network was set up. But in terms of real transforming quality at a price (transfer fees and wages) we can afford, abroad is the obvious place to look.

[/quote]

I agree.

But in my view restrict it to Germany (because of Lambert''s connections), Spain, Scandinavia and the USA. Most times you get what you pay for from these areas without too much aggravation, tantrums or sulks.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

A very naive statement - you get stroppy players from every country in the world - maybe the world''s aggravating, tantrum prone and sulky being from Scandinavia.

Lambert''s ''connections'' in Germany are constantly over played in my opinion. He was there for one year quite a while ago now - his main connection is now in Switzerland so maybe we''ll sign Shaqiri... (I wish)

[/quote]

Of course you get stroppy players from every country in the world. What''s your point?

Lambert also did his coaching badges in Germany more recently didn''t he?

I have no objection if you add Switzerland to my other example much of it is like Germany anyway.

OTBC

[/quote]

They why mention any countries specifically? Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

I don''t think it really matters where he did his coaching badges (in terms of building up contacts) Premier League managers will have contacts everywhere, due to the sheer number of agents that will try and flog them players. What Norwich need is a good scouting network, one which Chester was suppose to be building up, but something that there hasn''t been much evidence of.

[/quote]

Because the world is too big consisting of what? 220 countries.

It is exactly because our scouting system is apparently limited that I would choose areas/ countries to concentrate on which provide a better chance of what we are looking for.

OTBC

[/quote]

That doesn''t answer Beth''s question Babes. That''s just an example of you wriggling to try and get off the hook.

Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The current club personnel strategy on the football side is to recruit from the lower divisions, pay within a wage cap + incentives, and place great emphasis on squad unity.

This presents something of a conundrum which not well handled has the potential to capsize our boat.

Proceeding on the basis that we shall be in the Premiership next season, the question of this particular club strategy will have to be reviewed because (a) Lambert has determined that the lower divisions recruitment pool is almost dry and (b) recruitment from either within the Prem or from overseas is almost inevitably going to depend on our ability to deal with the consequential wage demands even if we can deal with 2/3 heavier transfer fees.

Recuitment to improve squad quality will be a sine qua non for both stability and progression in the Prem. Thus, for next season we may well decide to bring in 2/3 ''higher quality'' players. The big question will be how we deal with their wage requirements - which will almost inevitably be considerably above our current wage cap - without endangering the vital squad unity we have (which sometimes seems almost as important to us as having a proverbial ''twelfth man'').

Provided that we do not compromise on the character of these 2/3 recruits from the Prem/abroad I would imagine that all should be well provided that all squad members have adequate personal and team incentives built into their contracts.

I have considerable faith in the capacity of BowkerMcNallyLambert to deal with this issue.  

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

As the Premier League pays the highest wages in European football bringing in players from other leagues is generally the cheaper option. Average wages in the Championship are higher than average wages in La Liga (excluding the top 4 teams). I would hope if we stay in the Premier League this year Norwich start to establish a decent scouting network abroad.

[/quote]

That was supposedly one of the attributes/aims of Ewan Chester, the chief scout we hired amid some fanfare back in May 2010. He''s got excellent experience and connections throughout Britain and Europe, Lambert said at the time. Chester left just over a year later, so who knows whether any such network was set up. But in terms of real transforming quality at a price (transfer fees and wages) we can afford, abroad is the obvious place to look.

[/quote]

I agree.

But in my view restrict it to Germany (because of Lambert''s connections), Spain, Scandinavia and the USA. Most times you get what you pay for from these areas without too much aggravation, tantrums or sulks.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

A very naive statement - you get stroppy players from every country in the world - maybe the world''s aggravating, tantrum prone and sulky being from Scandinavia.

Lambert''s ''connections'' in Germany are constantly over played in my opinion. He was there for one year quite a while ago now - his main connection is now in Switzerland so maybe we''ll sign Shaqiri... (I wish)

[/quote]

Of course you get stroppy players from every country in the world. What''s your point?

Lambert also did his coaching badges in Germany more recently didn''t he?

I have no objection if you add Switzerland to my other example much of it is like Germany anyway.

OTBC

[/quote]

They why mention any countries specifically? Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

I don''t think it really matters where he did his coaching badges (in terms of building up contacts) Premier League managers will have contacts everywhere, due to the sheer number of agents that will try and flog them players. What Norwich need is a good scouting network, one which Chester was suppose to be building up, but something that there hasn''t been much evidence of.

[/quote]

Because the world is too big consisting of what? 220 countries.

It is exactly because our scouting system is apparently limited that I would choose areas/ countries to concentrate on which provide a better chance of what we are looking for.

OTBC

[/quote]

That doesn''t answer Beth''s question Babes. That''s just an example of you wriggling to try and get off the hook.

Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

[/quote]

You obviously have no idea of the time spent by Team Lambert on researching possible recruitment targets.

Nor much idea of how a modern professional football club operates - and even less idea of how team Lambert functions.

Dear oh dear oh dear.

Still. One love.

OTBC

OTBC

A very bold statement to make Bly and if you are suggesting that you know what makes Team Lambert tick and how it operates inside and outside Colney it would make it the most interesting read seen on this messageboard in years.As they say in examinations define,explain and discuss.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]A very bold statement to make Bly and if you are suggesting that you know what makes Team Lambert tick and how it operates inside and outside Colney it would make it the most interesting read seen on this messageboard in years.As they say in examinations define,explain and discuss.[/quote]

All strictly confidential I''m afraid Tilly.

But one of these days all will be revealed.............fear not.

OTBC

The only way Babes would know what makes team Lambert tick would be if it was searchable on google.

Anyway, those nice reliable Germans are much better bets than the coloured Italians aren''t they Babes....

Or are they...

Maybe Lambert knows of another Christiano Ronaldo in Portugal..

Or he maybe would if players from there were desirable..

And we wouldn''t want a Didier Drogba or a YaYa Toure would we...

Certainly not made of the right stuff..

[|-)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

The only way Babes would know what makes team Lambert tick would be if it was searchable on google.

Anyway, those nice reliable Germans are much better bets than the coloured Italians aren''t they Babes....

Or are they...

[|-)]

[/quote]

If this wasn''t so pathetic it would be hugely amusing.

If only you knew.

But still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]A very bold statement to make Bly and if you are suggesting that you know what makes Team Lambert tick and how it operates inside and outside Colney it would make it the most interesting read seen on this messageboard in years.As they say in examinations define,explain and discuss.[/quote]

All strictly confidential I''m afraid Tilly.

But one of these days all will be revealed.............fear not.

OTBC

[/quote]

Strictly confidential hey? You make it sound like there is an Inner Circle inside Colney [;)]

I''ve supported City since 1957, and we''ve always had a tight wage budget and I can''t see that changing anytime soon, nor should it.

But keeping PL here is vital, and that we should break the bank for.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Or are they...

[|-)]

[/quote]

If this wasn''t so pathetic it would be hugely amusing.

If only you knew.

But still. One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

My buddy Lyphov Riley tells me things you know Babes.

Riddle me this....

If a gay man takes a wife is he no longer gay[:^)]

But still. One all.

OTBC

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I''ve supported City since 1957, and we''ve always had a tight wage budget and I can''t see that changing anytime soon, nor should it.

But keeping PL here is vital, and that we should break the bank for.

[/quote]Absolutely Wiz.  [Y]

"Did someone pull the chain in here Mr Purist?Something appears to have been flushed away, but we are still left with obnoxious smell in here. I wonder why?"

Mmmmm... round the bend in more ways than one. Very odd that the number one smells just as bad as the number two.  [N]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Well, well, well.

We now have the smell schizophenia on top of paranoia.

Whatever next?

[/quote]

Very interesting Bly. Clearly the ganja is behind the paranoia. Maybe the smell is from the ginger fruitcake.......

Good original post. I have been thinking about this too.

Yes we have been very careful but also very clever, thanks to Lambert, McNally etc.

However, this summer, assuming we remain in the Premier League, I can see us making one or two bigger money signings, maybe spending in the region of £6-7 million on one player.

If we remain in the Premier League then we are going to have to improve. Goes without saying. That means that we need to improve upon the players already at the club. I think the board will back Lambert in whatever he wants to do.

The OP is correct in that PL said the lower leagues were almost free of talent that could step up to the Premier League, so that does mean we have to look abroad or in the Premier League for players that could improve us. I suspect the scouts are already monitoring players they wish to bring in, should we stay up.

I think we should carry on with the current strategy, a big part of our success is unity within the squad, if we do not adhere to a wage structure the problems that could cause could be disaterous. We need to widen our scouting network but I still belive that the lower leagues will still offer a good source of future players, for eaxmaple the Championship is becoming more and more competitive and difficult to get out of, there will surely be players that will jump at the chance of Premiership football. I agree with the pont made by Wiz, that said I belive no amount of money will prevent PL from leaving if he believes he has taken us as far as he can, so equally important will be finding a suitable replacement to carry on the good work......

Thing is if Lambert says it''s harder to find talent in lower leagues now, then surely he will only be ''hoping'' that players he signs from lower leagues in future can cut it in the Premier League.

Whereas with the players he''s bought in from lower leagues, he''s been sure they can cope with the level or two up.

If he doubts they can make the step up, no point bringing them in.