Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

A conumdrum for next season

The current club personnel strategy on the football side is to recruit from the lower divisions, pay within a wage cap + incentives, and place great emphasis on squad unity.

This presents something of a conundrum which not well handled has the potential to capsize our boat.

Proceeding on the basis that we shall be in the Premiership next season, the question of this particular club strategy will have to be reviewed because (a) Lambert has determined that the lower divisions recruitment pool is almost dry and (b) recruitment from either within the Prem or from overseas is almost inevitably going to depend on our ability to deal with the consequential wage demands even if we can deal with 2/3 heavier transfer fees.

Recuitment to improve squad quality will be a sine qua non for both stability and progression in the Prem. Thus, for next season we may well decide to bring in 2/3 ''higher quality'' players. The big question will be how we deal with their wage requirements - which will almost inevitably be considerably above our current wage cap - without endangering the vital squad unity we have (which sometimes seems almost as important to us as having a proverbial ''twelfth man'').

Provided that we do not compromise on the character of these 2/3 recruits from the Prem/abroad I would imagine that all should be well provided that all squad members have adequate personal and team incentives built into their contracts.

I have considerable faith in the capacity of BowkerMcNallyLambert to deal with this issue.  

What do you think?

OTBC

i often think on this issue. ultimatley as time goes on, the wage bill will go up and up.

for example, this season we have spent around £1.5m on a few players.

next year i reckon we will pay £2.5-3m on a player, then the next season £4-6m.

I think that would be a better idea than save up for next season (or the season after) and then spend £10m on a few players with high wages

I don''t see why things should change. The majority of clubs outside the top 6 are trying to reduce expendature so I can see wages throughout the PL gradually reducing. There will be new up-and-coming players from the lower leagues every year and we might start to bring one or two through the new youth setup. I would hate to see us break the current sallary cap as it is so much of what the club stands for.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

i often think on this issue. ultimatley as time goes on, the wage bill will go up and up.

for example, this season we have spent around £1.5m on a few players.

next year i reckon we will pay £2.5-3m on a player, then the next season £4-6m.

I think that would be a better idea than save up for next season (or the season after) and then spend £10m on a few players with high wages

[/quote]

This is all well and good - but there is a limit.  If you stay in the premiership, say, 4 seasons, then costs can go up and up if you are not careful.  Then if you are relegated the 5th season you are back in the poo poo again financially.   

Also,  Lambert has built his success on bringing through players. If he sticks to this strategy and the players he brings in keep improving there will be no need to go down the money trail road.  Pay more wages for the successful players already here, but not go down the route of  massive wages and foreign players.  No need to.    The recipe for success is already in place. 

We are never going to compete with the super rich  clubs financially, lets stick to the formula that is giving us success now. 

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The current club personnel strategy on the football side is to recruit from the lower divisions, pay within a wage cap + incentives, and place great emphasis on squad unity.

This presents something of a conundrum which not well handled has the potential to capsize our boat.

Proceeding on the basis that we shall be in the Premiership next season, the question of this particular club strategy will have to be reviewed because (a) Lambert has determined that the lower divisions recruitment pool is almost dry and (b) recruitment from either within the Prem or from overseas is almost inevitably going to depend on our ability to deal with the consequential wage demands even if we can deal with 2/3 heavier transfer fees.

Recuitment to improve squad quality will be a sine qua non for both stability and progression in the Prem. Thus, for next season we may well decide to bring in 2/3 ''higher quality'' players. The big question will be how we deal with their wage requirements - which will almost inevitably be considerably above our current wage cap - without endangering the vital squad unity we have (which sometimes seems almost as important to us as having a proverbial ''twelfth man'').

Provided that we do not compromise on the character of these 2/3 recruits from the Prem/abroad I would imagine that all should be well provided that all squad members have adequate personal and team incentives built into their contracts.

I have considerable faith in the capacity of BowkerMcNallyLambert to deal with this issue.  

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

As the Premier League pays the highest wages in European football bringing in players from other leagues is generally the cheaper option. Average wages in the Championship are higher than average wages in La Liga (excluding the top 4 teams). I would hope if we stay in the Premier League this year Norwich start to establish a decent scouting network abroad.

I don''t think we will sign a player who is on much higher wages than the rest of the squad. But the current crop of players will eventually want more money if they consistently perform in this league as their fellow professionals at other clubs are on more.

How much we spend on a player(s) depends on where we finish in the league and how well we do in the FA Cup (better cup run more money).

Overtime if we stay in this league the wage budget will gradually grow but I don''t see it changing dramatically over the next few seasons. Unless we get Europa League football at Carrow Road or find a new form of investment.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

As the Premier League pays the highest wages in European football bringing in players from other leagues is generally the cheaper option. Average wages in the Championship are higher than average wages in La Liga (excluding the top 4 teams). I would hope if we stay in the Premier League this year Norwich start to establish a decent scouting network abroad.

[/quote]Only reason wages are so high in the UK compared to most of Europe, is that we have much higher taxes. Prem player here pays 50%, think there''s a loophole in Spain where they only need to pay 20%

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]Only reason wages are so high in the UK compared to most of Europe, is that we have much higher taxes. Prem player here pays 50%, think there''s a loophole in Spain where they only need to pay 20%[/quote]That loophole was closed (which basically said any non-Spanish national paid 20% tax flat). Players will pay 50% tax on basic salary, but they use ''clever accounting'' to make sure a large % of their wages are in ''imaging rights'' which will be paid to companies based in tax havens so in reality they can reduce their wage contribution fairly heavily.Anyway, in general foreign players in England are paid less than players from Britain.

The ideal strategy has been to gradually improve the squad we have. This has been typically done by buying someone in, with the quality to go straight into the team, thus pushing the existing player into the squad. On occasions it seems that he has brought in players as just squad players (i.e. Wilbraham, Johnson even the re-signing of Lappin).

It hasn''t always worked out / looked that way because on occasions he has brought in players that are injured, or have picked up early injuries.

The amount of money we have to spend is budgeted well in advance and Lambert will know which areas need strengthening. So with a constraint on quality and money, the lower leagues is one hunting ground but also players at Premiership clubs that are largely unproven at the top level (i.e. Naughton, Ruddy, Vaughan, Ayala).

He has also analysed the strengths of teams that we have been in competition with and identified players that can play at the next level (Morrison, Johnson, Fox, Tierney, Howson, Crofts, not sure if Bennett & Pilkington played against us in League 1).

I can see us in the future picking up a few reserve team players from clubs but if you are not careful yo u can end up paying a good whack for potential (i.e. unproven). So whilst we might at this stage be happy to shell out a few million on Kyle Naughton, with deLaet that may not be the case, so you can see why a loan may suit. I could also see us going for a player or two from a team that gets relegated, or maybe a team that just misses out on promotion. Not sure if we are ready for too many foreign players, because I''m not sure we yet have the scouting network, and it is much harder to assess a players capabilities in different countries.

[quote user="missing warden"]Is that per player per season or do you mean all the players per season mrs miggins? What you have said is not very clear.
[/quote]

per player, we''ve spent around £1.5m as our most expennsive player (generally speaking)

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was supposedly one of the attributes/aims of Ewan Chester, the chief scout we hired amid some fanfare back in May 2010. He''s got excellent experience and connections throughout Britain and Europe, Lambert said at the time. Chester left just over a year later, so who knows whether any such network was set up. But in terms of real transforming quality at a price (transfer fees and wages) we can afford, abroad is the obvious place to look.

The S*um 2000/01 - Shocked the World by coming 5th with a squad similar to our current squad in that they were mostly British players with limited Premiership experience who''d worked hard to come through the Leagues and had a tightly knit teamspirit.

This success made Ips*it think they had made the bigtime so they had to then sign up foriegn mercenaries and over rated British players.

The end result was team spirit was shattered by the big time Charlies and they got relegated in 2002 only one season after coming 5th!

If I was messrs Lambert and Mcnally I''d continue with the policy of signing hungry, talented lower League players grateful to have a chance in the top flight at Norwich!

Won''t the amount of money spent on transfer fees and wages be affected by the new UEFA (?) ruling about income relative to expenditure? Not just for us though.

The solution is to incentivise.

Assuming we finish in our current position, then the Â£7m - £8m we get equates to about £5k / week / squad member (assuming a squad of 25). As an incentive, an additional quarter of a million pounds, should keep most of the type of people PL has signed (young & hungry) more than happy - and provide the incentive to push on the following year. Those that are not happy with that, may live to regret their greed. (This is only one of a number of options - not professing to know the mechanics of how it would work - but, as a starter for 10.....)

What we don''t want to do is to bring in inflation - both in egos and wages. Outside of the top few, I suspect that when players contracts are run down / renegotiated, the astronomical wages demands will start to disappear and a more balanced structure put in place. Three reasons for this

1) the financial constraints being placed on all football clubs

2) the fact that the FA will have to act to prevent future Portsmouth and Darlington scenarios

3) clubs themselves will find it untenable - even the "sugar daddy" clubs owners

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was supposedly one of the attributes/aims of Ewan Chester, the chief scout we hired amid some fanfare back in May 2010. He''s got excellent experience and connections throughout Britain and Europe, Lambert said at the time. Chester left just over a year later, so who knows whether any such network was set up. But in terms of real transforming quality at a price (transfer fees and wages) we can afford, abroad is the obvious place to look.

[/quote]

I agree.

But in my view restrict it to Germany (because of Lambert''s connections), Spain, Scandinavia and the USA. Most times you get what you pay for from these areas without too much aggravation, tantrums or sulks.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

But in my view restrict it to Germany (because of Lambert''s connections), Spain, Scandinavia and the USA. Most times you get what you pay for from these areas without too much aggravation, tantrums or sulks.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

A very naive statement - you get stroppy players from every country in the world - maybe the world''s aggravating, tantrum prone and sulky being from Scandinavia.

Lambert''s ''connections'' in Germany are constantly over played in my opinion. He was there for one year quite a while ago now - his main connection is now in Switzerland so maybe we''ll sign Shaqiri... (I wish)

I would hope that we could steadily grow like Stoke City (in a purely economic sense).

They stayed in the league for two seasons without breaking the bank and only this summer hired some big names.

I would also love it if academy kids could come through and if we could keep pinching lower league stars as they emerge. 

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

A very naive statement - you get stroppy players from every country in the world - maybe the world''s aggravating, tantrum prone and sulky being from Scandinavia.

Lambert''s ''connections'' in Germany are constantly over played in my opinion. He was there for one year quite a while ago now - his main connection is now in Switzerland so maybe we''ll sign Shaqiri... (I wish)

[/quote]

Of course you get stroppy players from every country in the world. What''s your point?

Lambert also did his coaching badges in Germany more recently didn''t he?

I have no objection if you add Switzerland to my other example much of it is like Germany anyway.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

Of course you get stroppy players from every country in the world. What''s your point?

I have no objection if you add Switzerland to my other example much of it is like Germany anyway.

OTBC

[/quote]

They why mention any countries specifically? Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

I don''t think it really matters where he did his coaching badges (in terms of building up contacts) Premier League managers will have contacts everywhere, due to the sheer number of agents that will try and flog them players. What Norwich need is a good scouting network, one which Chester was suppose to be building up, but something that there hasn''t been much evidence of.

I''m afraid so much depends on Paul Lambert, who is Norwich City''s success.If he goes expect an exodus.... and if the wrong manager comes in to replace him it could all go seriously tits up.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

To be fair his connections in Germany are no more overplayed than his conections with Martin O''Neill which seem to be based on him wearing a tracksuit and referring to him as The Gaffer. The fact that he went back to Germany to take his coaching badges suggests that he is quite influenced by that country.

Lambert seems very much his own man to me. Secretly I reckon he gets pissed off with fielding questions about both Germany and O''Neill when his teams are pretty interesting in their own right from a tactical perspective.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

To be fair his connections in Germany are no more overplayed than his conections with Martin O''Neill which seem to be based on him wearing a tracksuit and referring to him as The Gaffer. The fact that he went back to Germany to take his coaching badges suggests that he is quite influenced by that country.

Lambert seems very much his own man to me. Secretly I reckon he gets pissed off with fielding questions about both Germany and O''Neill when his teams are pretty interesting in their own right from a tactical perspective.

[/quote]

Well, if he stopped dressing like O''Neill, then .............

OTBC

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

What do you think?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I agree.

OTBC

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

They why mention any countries specifically? Why not just say bring in players, from anywhere, as long as they have the quality to improve the team and a good attitude?

I don''t think it really matters where he did his coaching badges (in terms of building up contacts) Premier League managers will have contacts everywhere, due to the sheer number of agents that will try and flog them players. What Norwich need is a good scouting network, one which Chester was suppose to be building up, but something that there hasn''t been much evidence of.

[/quote]

Because the world is too big consisting of what? 220 countries.

It is exactly because our scouting system is apparently limited that I would choose areas/ countries to concentrate on which provide a better chance of what we are looking for.

OTBC

This is ridiculous - taking up almost a page on quoting every quote under the sun!

Can''t posters use a bit of initiative and just refer to the statement instead of filling up page after page of the same, but ever increasing, qoutes?

SDP - can you somehow restrict the size of a quote?[8o|]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Well, if he stopped dressing like O''Neill, then .............

OTBC

[/quote]

It''s just a bloody tracksuit. What other options does he have? He''s a lot less rigid tactically than O''Neill and his media persona is massively different. I don''t doubt that five years spent with O''Neill had some influence on him but this ''Master vs Apprentice'' angle that a lot of people like to promote is pretty inaccurate as far as I can see.

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]

This is ridiculous - taking up almost a page on quoting every quote under the sun!

Can''t posters use a bit of initiative and just refer to the statement instead of filling up page after page of the same, but ever increasing, qoutes?

SDP - can you somehow restrict the size of a quote?[8o|]

[/quote]

Things must be rough in Basingstoke today.......

OTBC

[quote user="Shack Attack"]He''s a lot less rigid tactically than O''Neill [/quote]Not just me and every Aston Villa fan then, ask a Villa fan and they''ll tell you to a man that M O''N was very one dimensional which works until the oppo suss you out then he was found lacking for a plan ''B'', lambert has a plan B, C, and D for every game from what I''ve seen happy to change lineups to suit the opposition, happy to change tactics during a game traits that M O''N could rarely if ever be accused of having.