Sign in to follow this  
Canaries Utd

The transfer window

Its been discussed on many so many times over the years, but the distinct lack of activity is surely a sign of the times. The last window where the Torres and Carroll saga occurred was the only real significant taliking points of over inflated prices, and how that has been proved. In a time that the criticism is aimed at such high fees, which is an agents dream, surely its time to go full circle and let two teams do business when they like, 365 days of the year. I have forgotton the argument for the transfer window?

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Its been discussed on many so many times over the years, but the distinct lack of activity is surely a sign of the times. The last window where the Torres and Carroll saga occurred was the only real significant taliking points of over inflated prices, and how that has been proved. In a time that the criticism is aimed at such high fees, which is an agents dream, surely its time to go full circle and let two teams do business when they like, 365 days of the year. I have forgotton the argument for the transfer window?
[/quote]

The argument for the transfer window is it stops richer clubs adding additional players in the run up to the end of the season. It forces teams, not matter how rich, to have thier squads and stick by them for the season - meaning injuries or suspensions to key players can''t be sorted out by buying another team''s player. For this purpose it works very well - especially alongside the 25 man squad rule. The fact prices become over inflated helps smaller clubs hold onto their better players for the entire season, rather than have year round speculation.

Also, the window was brought in Europe wide to unify the rules, before the window each league would have different times when transfers were allowed, this was seen to give some League''s and unfair advantage in European competitions - this has also been strengthened through the European squad system.

I still think the Jan window has a purpose and works well - it was never meant to be a time of large amounts of activity, but to allow clubs who are in dire need strenghten for the remainder of the season. I would suggest the lack of activity is more down to the impending FFP rules, as without the bigger clubs spending less money is trickling down through the smaller teams. Despite the lack of players moving in England, there has been a fair amount of transfers happening in the other European Leagues.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Its been discussed on many so many times over the years, but the distinct lack of activity is surely a sign of the times. The last window where the Torres and Carroll saga occurred was the only real significant taliking points of over inflated prices, and how that has been proved. In a time that the criticism is aimed at such high fees, which is an agents dream, surely its time to go full circle and let two teams do business when they like, 365 days of the year. I have forgotton the argument for the transfer window?[/quote]

The argument for the transfer window is it stops richer clubs adding additional players in the run up to the end of the season. It forces teams, not matter how rich, to have thier squads and stick by them for the season - meaning injuries or suspensions to key players can''t be sorted out by buying another team''s player. For this purpose it works very well - especially alongside the 25 man squad rule. The fact prices become over inflated helps smaller clubs hold onto their better players for the entire season, rather than have year round speculation.

Also, the window was brought in Europe wide to unify the rules, before the window each league would have different times when transfers were allowed, this was seen to give some League''s and unfair advantage in European competitions - this has also been strengthened through the European squad system.

I still think the Jan window has a purpose and works well - it was never meant to be a time of large amounts of activity, but to allow clubs who are in dire need strenghten for the remainder of the season. I would suggest the lack of activity is more down to the impending FFP rules, as without the bigger clubs spending less money is trickling down through the smaller teams. Despite the lack of players moving in England, there has been a fair amount of transfers happening in the other European Leagues.

[/quote]Very interesting BY&G, thank you.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Its been discussed on many so many times over the years, but the distinct lack of activity is surely a sign of the times. The last window where the Torres and Carroll saga occurred was the only real significant taliking points of over inflated prices, and how that has been proved. In a time that the criticism is aimed at such high fees, which is an agents dream, surely its time to go full circle and let two teams do business when they like, 365 days of the year. I have forgotton the argument for the transfer window?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think fans have tended to forget the kind of permanent mad, destabilising frenzy there used to be, before deals were limited to January. Also I suspect posters are looking at it from our current point of view as a Premier League club with the clout to attract players. For most clubs - and for us in the recent past - knowing our players could only be enticed away in January was a boon.

Take Huddersfield and Jordan Rhodes. They knew they had him for the first half of the season. If they want to sell him now, late on in the window, they''ll get an inflated price.. If they decide to hold on to him, then they know he''s there for the rest of the season, to help them try to get promotion, rather than fearing he''ll still leave.

That Bethnall is absolute nonsense.Players could not join in the run up to the season. There was a March cut off date.A measure of how well regarded this obscenity is, can be seen by the way the loan market is now used. Players outside the Premier League are routinely bought and sold under the guise of a loan.With any luck that diregard will eventually lead to the removal of this idiocy, and take the restraints off that merely benefit the wealthy few.