Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Canary Call after West Brom victory

Couldn''t believe what I was hearing. Jed Steer''s performance aside, it was all negative.

Paul Lambert leaving, the FA cup now being a hinderance and Paul Lambert''s possible Manager of the month award maybe working against us.

I don''t think Mark Robins could believe the topic of Lambert leaving. The presenter and people phoning in just kept going on about it. The presenter claimed he just wanted to get a debate going. Why always debate the negatives though?

Why can''t we debate where PL can take us, or whether we need to strengthen anymore this window as we seem fine as we are, but everything just seemed to focus on the negatives, which I found annoying.

Bring back Neil Adams.

Spot-on RDS7 . I actually lost the will to live after 20 mins and gave up, particularly as we were going out  for a drink with some friends soon after !

But it seems to be a recurring theme on CC; and from time to time with a few select posters on here too. Why talk all this "PL is going to leave" non-story up ? Has he given the slightest indication that he''s unhappy here ? Or that he''s looking for a bigger challenge elsewhere ?  When there was    all that Burnley stuff this time last year, the hype machine went into overdrive. Radio Norfolk even ran a special "Will Paul Lambert be off to Turf Moor"  phone in programme.

Everything that PL has uttered has been positive, albeit intoned in his dour Glasgow accent. I cannot see one iota of evidence that he''s planning a move elsewhere. For a start, there isn''t a vacancy anywhere !

I was the same......could not believe what was being discussed...AND.......

There were fans coming on saying they wanted to draw Spurs or Liverpool away.........hello!!!!!  do we want a cup run or not???? AND Rob Butler was agreeing.....

I thought the ideas of winning cup games was to have an "easy" tie??  certainly we would want to be at home.................

Couldn''t agree more! I thought the phone in was supposed to be mainly about the game - not a laborious trundle of neg-heads ‘phoning through to discuss their latest fear-based dominant thoughts! Typical British mindsets I''m delighted to say; (only because I provide training and development programmes to help people address their thinking style!).

On the basis we''re successfully into the last 16 of the FA Cup surely we should be celebrating our progress?

Perhaps the Radio Norfolk switchboard need to vet the callers’ subject matter prior to giving them airtime. Mind you, if every caller prefers to follow sheep-like into the ‘let’s forget the fact we just won and discuss losing our manager’ scenario we need some fresh new callers to inject some decent subject matter. Then the presenter at least has the option to cut short the moaners and balance up the programme with something more bouyant.

Instead of moaning about it many of us on here could be make those Canary calls. Alternatively, we always have the option of switching off the radio!...

Im of the opinion that if you think the world needs to hear your opinion so urgently that you need to call up a local radio chat show... then in all likelyhood your probably going to be abit mad. Each week canary call offers further evidence of my theory...

I do feel the format misses Neil Adams. Someone with real insight into the club. Someone who follows the club and watches every game.

Now we have to listen to people (Dale Gordon, Mark Robins etc etc) who don''t watch every Norwich game and don''t have much insight into the club anymore.

I don''t tend to make the effort to listen to it now, like I did before, as it''s now presented by basically a fan (like you and me) who has a platform for his opinion when his opinion is no more respected than any other fans opinion.

Don''t know why they can''t just let the presenter of the entire ''sports saturday'', Gudgeon, or whoever it usually does is, field the calls and pass them on to someone like Huckerby or McVeigh, if they are available, or any ex player who is still in and around the club, who has some knowledge, or at least someone who watches most of our games). Otherwise it''s just a waste of time.

Not sure why Rob Butler is involved. I don''t mean any disrespect to him by the way, just not sure what he offers.

[quote user="birchfest"]Im of the opinion that if you think the world needs to hear your opinion so urgently that you need to call up a local radio chat show... then in all likelyhood your probably going to be abit mad. Each week canary call offers further evidence of my theory...
[/quote]

But that''s what people who "watch" the game on the radio do. Surely we should be used to it by now.

I had just finished reffing a local match and wanted to hear how City got on etc. Was delighted to listen to last few minutes of match and beating another Premiership side away with a magnificent performance by our youth keeper and the rest of the squad!I was staggered then to listen to the negative attitude to this result by the commentators, rather than discuss a great result it was lets see the negative side of this, oh yes Lambert could leave! I could understand this maybe in a midweek discussion with no match, but you have to wonder if the commentator really has any love or knowledge of the game and even Mark Robins seemed fed up and judging by some of his comments is not much of a city follower any more.If they had any real fan of City on they would be bouncing off the ceiling as I was and full of optimism in the end switched over to Radio 5 got so depressing.

Must admit i''ve never really listened to Canary Call, only caught a few mins of it here and there, so most of my opinion on it is based on all the moaning about it on here.

Why do people listen to it? It seems to just annoy everyone, that the callers are so negative. In my eyes there are three option, one you keep on listening and moaning, two you stop listening, or three you actually call in and give your non negative opinion to balance it out a little... Unless they don''t let sane people call in?

I used to listen to hear what Neil Adams had to say. Liked hearing his opinion as I knew he followed club closely, watched every game etc.

Now it all just seems a bit amateur and a waste of time.

I turn the commentary off as soon as the full whistle goes. What a load of drab, simply doesn''t work without Neil Adams expertise.

The sad thing is they do vet the callers... i wonder how the same local madmen get on every week!im sure some do it for a wind up though.

I''m sure they do vet the callers, to an extent, but if they have limited callers they have to take what''s on offer, so to speak.

Can''t imagine hundreds of people desperate to go on and speak to another fan and an ex player who doesn''t really follow the club anymore.

If they do vet the callers it makes you wonder what the ones who dont get through are like! Crikey.

GP i recently got canaries player so i could listen to canary call after the games, among other reasons, becuase i used to quite enjoy having  alaugh at those who call in. But i could not beleive it on Sat, the people who phone in, who have not seen the game, only listened to the commentary think their match report is the only one worth listening too, they talk senseless crap for about 20 mins and then the presenter moves on. Calls need to be shorter and please less idoitic norfolk bumkins, it makes us all look like fools.There also seems to be continued callers, who phone most week, making the same point over and over again, or phoning to say they said so and so x number of weeks ago and look Lambert is now doing it, so i''ll phone in to let everyone know i was right- that sort of thing really pisses me off.To sum it up, CC must be the worst 45 mins of radio time across all radio stations in the UK- never listening again

Im not sure the next level down of caller can coherently make a call...they are probably sat looking at their fish tank, banana held to ear, demanding to know warrs goin orn?! The players have been going round in circles for hours - what are they doing in training?!

They may also add that it was much better before when our Cody was here...

Stopped listening to it now, I just end up getting annoyed listening to the negativity and complete lack of footballing knowledge!

[quote user="Kathy "]If they do vet the callers it makes you wonder what the ones who dont get through are like! Crikey.[/quote]

Well, Kathy, if you really want to play devil''s advocate, I suppose the answer to your rehetorical question is, that it all depends HOW they vet the callers.

In general, I guess the editors+producers of these sorts of shows like to have a prevalence of "interesting characters", ie those who are a bit wild and whacky, or those who have the sort of contoversial view who will wind others up. From the station''s point of view it''s no good having all level-headed, reasonable people on, as it doesn''t go for terribly rivetting listening. In the same way as newspapers like to print lots of "shock, horror" stories, and folk on here post threads that they know will get others wound-up.

So, I''d guess that the editors know the identity of some of the "regulars", and put them on week after week, because they know what they say will cause controversy, or, at the very least, make people laugh.

Like some othrs have said, I take a lot of what''s on CC with a very large pinch of salt, but will listen in if I''ve nothing better to do (eg  in the car). Where media like this forum are better is that you can pick and choose the topics, and ignore the ones that are cr*p, or posted by known wind-up merchants. But, with radio phone ins, you are rather limited to who happens to be on air at any given time.

Thing is, you''re not hearing a cross section of supporters on there.  It''s a similar thing to forums like this, where most people happy with how things are going don''t feel the need to ring up or post (they are probably too busy talking about the game with their mates down the pub etc...).  It''s usually only people with something to moan about that feel the need to voice their opinion.

See a similar thing on video games forums, 99% of people that are enjoying a game are out there playing it and don''t feel the need to post how much they like it, it''s only the 1% that have problems that generally voice their opinion on forums - and if you took what they said as gospel, you''d never buy a game again...

[quote user="Kathy "]If they do vet the callers it makes you wonder what the ones who dont get through are like! Crikey.[/quote]Indeed!  They''ve turned me down two weeks running.

I have it on the highest authority Chops, that you were turned down because of your genuine inside knowledge of NCFC structures and finances but your reticence to disclose them.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Kathy "]If they do vet the callers it makes you wonder what the ones who dont get through are like! Crikey.[/quote]Indeed!  They''ve turned me down two weeks running.[/quote]B*oody hell Chops......you must have caught them on a bad day. I can''t remember too many occasions when I haven''t been let loose.Confirms my suspicions that they prefer inane drivel .....

I beg to differ, I found Neil Adams so boring when he did CC. I think you all have very short memorys he always sucked up to backing the current manager even Glen Rodent and Worthy right up till the end. At least with that butler chap he has a bit of banter and enthusism for the club. On the point of the Lambert moving on discussion I think it was valid. When a managment vacancy comes up at a big club he will be considered now as he has the all important Premiership experience and a proven pedigree of sucsess as a player and now a manger. thankfully for us he only has experience of working with limited funds so not sure if the money men in Manchester or London would trust him Newcastle, Liverpool and Villa might be following his progress closely. He is smart enough to try and win a cup or euro place here just to cement his credentials not only for his next job but if that was not to work out he wont want to be considered a flop ala Neil Warnock. Roy Hodgeson bounced right back into the prem not on his CV the liverpool part was rightfully over looked. SO Rob Butler was right to talk about it, he had people calling in who wanted to talk about it.Joke of the show "André Villas-Boas, hes not a big name manager............................might be a long name manager though"Cant remember Neil Adams ever making me laugh or entertaining me (fact)