Sign in to follow this  
greenwichcanary

How many points out of next two away games?

So coming up now we have two away games coming up, Everton and Wolves two teams who havvnt really been too impressive this season so how many points do people think we can get out of these two games? Like any away game these will be two tough games and Molineux seems to be a bit of a bogey ground for us which doesnt help.But since Bolton away all of the away games have been against top 6 sides (apart from Villa) so these are the first away games for a while I think we have a realistic opportunity of getting an away win. While three points could be achievable at everton, I would definitely take a point there, while Molineux represents one of the best chances for us to win an away game i think. They have been pretty poor this season and watched them against sunderland last week when they won and even then they werent great.I think if we were to 2-3 points out of these games I would be pretty happy, some good performances would be good to set us up nicely for the spurs game after these two games

They said on Sky Sports News earlier that Everton had failed to register a shot on target in their last two games. So have a feeling we''ll get a cheeky 1-0 win there. But it will be tough game as Everton are very well organised at the back and will be hard to break down . As for Wolves I cannot see why we can''t win given their home record isn''t that great. But I would take 4 most definitely!

During the match against Villa I looked at the up and coming games and thought we would do well to clock up anything else this year............ How wrong.

QPR I thought the way we lined up it was our most least convincing match this season and we hit the result. Saturday proved if we play our way against the tier two prem teams we are just as good and very much better on Saturdays performance.

I think we will take all six but as I posted recently Fox=Winning. It was great that so many share the same view and if we continue to play like Saturday.....anything is possible.

Two tough games, these two sides will be geared up to take on City on their home patch. We just have to believe we can get something, as we usually do. I don''t think we''ll draw a blank...so imo win one lose one = 3 points

I think 2 points is realistic, anything more is exceptional but I also believe that as SUTRE mentions they are both winnable. I believe we can, but I also believe that both opponents need a result at home and we could come at a good time for both. If we were to win one then it would be a huge result as we are picking up points consistently and another away win would be beneficial this time in the season. Hence although home form is important we still need a good away record. Next year QPR, Swansea, Blackburn are all games that I would highlight as games to win away next year as mightly important. But these two games offer us an opportunity to set up the Fulham home game.

But I do feel that the key is to get 5 points from our next three and of course if we got more I would be delighted and 4 points well happy with that too.

I do think we can have great self belief going into these next two away games another away win I think is very much possible in these fixtures.

But as long as we have teams below us and we can keep points above them and draw with them, they then gain no ground upon us. But I am looking forward to these upcoming games against teams that we should be aiming for if we want to stay up this year.

Tend to agree with most of that Smooth. Particularly after beating Newc, I''d say 2 or 3 from Everton and Wolves would be quite acceptable. If we have to win one I''d prefer Wolves, as I think they are more likely to be in the bottom 8 come May than Everton, and it''d be nice to deny them any points at all.

Cahill and Saha are a danger...or should that be "were"?

I heard that Cahill hasnt scored in 2011...it looks true but its a hard one to prove on the sites I''ve looked at. Saha? nah na! quality player in 1 game out 10 now...lets hope its not Saturday. :0/

Everton are all about defence...I''d be happy with a 0-0 as the clean sheet need to come soon. A big monkey on the back.

This is a season where I have given up trying to second guess. Every game is hard and your head tells you things like Bolton away nobody wins there except the top teams ( take that back to when we played them not now ) Liverpool we will get murdered by them, then you start to get confident and say Villa away they had not won for a few games and were not scoring and then look what happened.

The way I am looking currently is if we can sneak 2 more wins in the next 4 games at half way we will have 25 points needing just 15 in the last half of the season. Wins against Bolton, Wolves,  Wigan, Villa at home and Blackburn away would secure our future.

In my dreams if we could beat Everton, Wolves, Tottenham ( hope they will have to much turkey ) Fulham and then QPR we will be only 4 points from safety.

In the real world however I would happily trade now a defeat to Everton for a win against Wolves and a defeat to Spurs for a win against Fulham.    

I think we are capable of winning at either Goodison or Molineux the way things are going. So I reckon 3 points from the next 2 games.

There was a thread on here in November started by Jimmy Smith guessing how many points we would get in the remaining 8 League matches of 2011, starting with the Arsenal game and ending with Fulham''s visit to Carrow Road.There were the usual barmy guesses but the main opinion seemed to be that we''d get around 8 or 9. I thought the same. As it stands we''ve played just 4 of those games and have 6 points so far.Surely we''ll get at least a couple more points before the New Year ?

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]There was a thread on here in November started by Jimmy Smith guessing how many points we would get in the remaining 8 League matches of 2011, starting with the Arsenal game and ending with Fulham''s visit to Carrow Road.

There were the usual barmy guesses but the main opinion seemed to be that we''d get around 8 or 9. I thought the same. As it stands we''ve played just 4 of those games and have 6 points so far.

Surely we''ll get at least a couple more points before the New Year ?
[/quote]

Or looking at it another way, and given that it''s generally agreed that 40 pts is the minimum to stay up, if we could just grind out 2 more wins in 2011, then that would leave us on 25 pts at least. Giving us a need for, say, five more wins in Jan to May to ensure safety . Or 4 wins and 3 draws. Do-able, surely ? I know that the lower ranking teams tend to get fewer pts in the second half of the season than the firset (ask Burnley, Blackpool, Reading, Hull etc !), but, even so, we''re more than capable of that target.

With our defensive frailty I hope that we can get two draws, 1-1 at Everton 2-2 at Molineux.  I would obviously like to win one of them, but I think that the Everton defence is very mean, and Wolves have found some confidence, if not form.

If John Ruddy wants a clean sheet anywhere it is surely at Goodison Park. Sooner or later we will have a clean sheet so perhaps the law of ex-players scoring is also relevant to ex-keepers keeping a clean sheet?

Our prowess at set pieces means that we always have a chance and with our strikers in form we must be good for a goal or two?

It comes down to how the home side approach this and Everton could be cagey; that is how they appear to approach home games to me.  So, with their poor scoring record will this be another one for Paul Lambert to approach positively thinking two goals would surely gain a result?

I certainly hope for a positive result at Everton who are not relegation rivals; however, Wolves are.

Wolves absolutely have to beat us and I expect Paul Lambert to revert to one striker and a more defensive set up while we seek to frustrate the ''Bank''s Bitter Imbibing Trolls'' before hitting them with second half goals to leave them crying into their pork scratchings. But, we simply have to avoid a loss because points denied are points gained in this one. I hope for a draw at worst.

We8WBA could also make a return for this one, especially if they beat us so pray the result goes for us.

I positively anticipate losing neither of these games. That will keep us in a nice position. A win in either, and especially a win and a draw would put us well ahead of schedule in our quest to survive this first season.

RHucker, I have to agree completely with your assessment of how each of our opponents will view our games.

Everton will expect a win on paper and prepare as they have for every game, they will believe that they can be patient and lets us get frustrated and that their quality will then come through. I get the feeling there are not to many plan B''s at Everton but I believe it will be a great teat for us. I also feel we can gain a result if we play two upfront and play a flat midfield 4, I believe both Morison and Holt can cause problems without too much support but the pace of a Benno could be helpful to catch up when the ball goes forward. But we have to be very patient and frustrate the home team who no doubt will have the fans on their backs early if they do not stamp their authority.

Wolves, I totally agree, I get the feeling they will want that game and need that game more than us. We will have to be on top form for this game and I know it seems weird to say wolves and us on top form but this is one of those games that will decide our fate (show our psychological state) and also show our desire away at a hostile ground. They will come out of the blocks I am sure and try and put us on the back foot, we have to take the sting out of the game and know that again there centre halves have had problems.

But even so as I said previously I would be very happy with 2 draws here and a win with Fulham at Carrow Road, but if we can pick up another win on our travels would be superb. I would like another away win asap, it will be important to pick 3-4 away wins this season.

I would happily take two points as I believe we can beat Fulham at Carrow Road.  However everyone seems to just be assuming we will beat Fulham which is not a smart thing to do in this league.  So because of that I think a win out of the next two would be important but if we got 2 points it would still be good.