Sign in to follow this  
willo2

Go get Billy Sharp...

Donny chairman says on Sky he is available for £3m from Jan 1st. 25 years old, proven at Champ level, plays high tempo chasing game, right attitude and I would think cheaper than Rhodes.

Thoughts?

Totally agree with the proven bit, has done it with Scunny, Sheff Utd and Donny. Three different teams, different ethoses and different coaching methods.

Sure there will be alot of interest, as I feel he may be the type of forward that would compliment Holt, Morison and Vaughan for the future.

Certainly his tragic circumstances this year would make him a favourite and certainly he would feel a great deal of love from the supporters and it would galvinise our team together a little more. For me Rhodes is going to have a few suitors I see in the BBC gossip section some papers have 4 million being floated about. Well I am sure Huddersfield will hold out, they have a chance of going back to the chanpionship, so it will be big money. If we were interested then I hope, as I have posted previously, that we remain true to our policy of not pursuing as the price gets too high.

Billy Sharp is a fantastic little striker, he will be sold this January, but I am sure there will be interest and the move will have to be right for him and his wife. I personally see him as a striker that could do some good business for us and also may be able to allow a bit of money to be available for the other areas we could look at.

Hooper and Rhodes would cost at least £2m more.And where is the evidence of him being a big time Charlie. Playing for Doncaster?

but as with rhodes, I would not say they are the only two options.

I do think we can look to prem second string players and to Europe. But I do think Billy Sharp is a good forward.

Great post smooth.Strikes me that he has the personality one would associate with our club. Style of play similar to Holt, Morison, and CMS, non stop, in the defenders face.

[quote user="willo2"]Hooper and Rhodes would cost at least £2m more.

And where is the evidence of him being a big time Charlie.

Playing for Doncaster?
[/quote]

That''s because they are younger and better players, remember, we''re in the big time now, we can afford to push the boat out if we want! Not disputing that Billy Sharp couldn''t do a job for us, I just believe he isn''t any better than what we already have. Some may question the fact that Hooper is only scoring in SPL at the minute but the quality of his goals and all round play looks very promising, and he is playing in a pretty poor Celtic team (albeit in a poor league) and shining. 

It''s all opinions Darren.I don''t agree that Rhodes and Hooper are better and, in fact are less proven that Sharp, refer to Smooths post.I also think £3m is less of a gamble and he will hit the ground running far quicker than Hooper, who has been quoted in various media at £7m and is playing his football in a league nowhere near the pace of the Prem and Rhodes, who is plying his trade in League 1.As i said, opinions, yours is they are better....

[quote user="smooth"]

Totally agree with the proven bit, has done it with Scunny, Sheff Utd and Donny. Three different teams, different ethoses and different coaching methods.

[/quote]

He didn''t do it with Sheff Utd though. He struggled there, that''s why he''s at Doncaster now.

Sharp is cutting it in a Higher league than Rhodes in probably a worse team, hes also going to be cheaper; Donny need to sell, Huddersfield dont. To be honest though, lambert is never one to go for the obvious choice so I wouldnt be supprised if we got someone completely random in!

[quote user="willo2"]It''s all opinions Darren.

I don''t agree that Rhodes and Hooper are better and, in fact are less proven that Sharp, refer to Smooths post.

I also think £3m is less of a gamble and he will hit the ground running far quicker than Hooper, who has been quoted in various media at £7m and is playing his football in a league nowhere near the pace of the Prem and Rhodes, who is plying his trade in League 1.

As i said, opinions, yours is they are better....
[/quote]

Yeah fair enough. I think the reason that I am a bit put off by Sharpe is that he messed us around in 2007 I think it was, and the fact that Ipswich seem to have their hearts set on him!

[quote user="willo2"]Hooper and Rhodes would cost at least £2m more.

And where is the evidence of him being a big time Charlie.

Playing for Doncaster?
[/quote]

I know someone that works at Doncaster,

I''d prefer Hooper and Rhodes.

What he did do at Sheff Utd is have to battle through a tough time, it didn''t work out but he has rebounded and hence that is what I like. Rhodes has done the same in his short career, but Sharp has come through three different set-ups with promotion ambitions with Sheff Utd and Scunny. He has also battled with a team struggling, Donny and Scunny.

As with birchfest, I think we know who we are looking at and bids will go in for them. Sharp is an option, as is Rhodes etc. But as I said above I do not mind us looking under every stone here and in Europe. I certainly agree with Birchfests first statement, that makes it very clear which would seem the quicker acquisition, but of course the player has to want to come here.

Exciting though isn''t it?

Don''t think they can afford that.How refreshing to have a debate on here where it does not descend into personal abuse. Thanks Darren for being, er, human....I stopped posting regularly as I was fed up with every time an opinion was expressed you received post after post of churlish remarks and comments as if you know nothing about the subject, naming no names, Morty.So apologies if I came across as Sharp, badoom tish!!!!!!

[quote user="willo2"]Don''t think they can afford that.

How refreshing to have a debate on here where it does not descend into personal abuse. Thanks Darren for being, er, human....

I stopped posting regularly as I was fed up with every time an opinion was expressed you received post after post of churlish remarks and comments as if you know nothing about the subject, naming no names, Morty.

So apologies if I came across as Sharp, badoom tish!!!!!!

[/quote]

Haha, thanks! That''s what it''s all about. I know what you mean about getting abuse over having an opinion, that''s why I tend to not post as much as I probably would.

[quote user="Darren Lamb"]

[quote user="willo2"]Don''t think they can afford that.

How refreshing to have a debate on here where it does not descend into personal abuse. Thanks Darren for being, er, human....

I stopped posting regularly as I was fed up with every time an opinion was expressed you received post after post of churlish remarks and comments as if you know nothing about the subject, naming no names, Morty.

So apologies if I came across as Sharp, badoom tish!!!!!!

[/quote]

Haha, thanks! That''s what it''s all about. I know what you mean about getting abuse over having an opinion, that''s why I tend to not post as much as I probably would.

[/quote]

YOU £%$&!! [;)]

I don''t think any of the players mentioned are the answer really.  What would they add to what we already have, particularly bearing in mind what Simeon was doing in the latter part of last season and the goals he was scoring in The Championship?  Would it be worth spending £3, £4 or £5million plus on a player who doesn''t really add anything to us?

We need players to help us over the line in January and I don''t think spending £3million plus on a player unproven in the Premier League / at that level is the answer in January.  We don''t have the time for them to bed in and find their feet, we need almost an instant boost (for want of a better phrase). Perhaps we will be looking again at such players in the summer.

I wouldn''t be surprised for us to be looking abroad where your £2 or £3 million will get you much better value in January.  We may also be looking at some fringe players from other Premiership clubs, who I don''t know.

I agree that we will possibly be looking abroad. Billy Sharp is no better than simeon and have very similar styles . Simeon is warming the bench. Sharp would only be back up to simeon. Do we really need another striker? Holt and morison are banging them in and we have simeon warming the bench plus super Chris out on loan. I think we need a strong midfielder the most. We get over run in some games in midfield . If we spent a few quid on a better midfielder we would probably look a lot stronger with playing two up front.

Werent we being linked with a chap at a Russian side earlier in the season? Perhaps we might be trying to emulate the success that West Brom had with Odemwinge, and McNally is friends with the west Brom chairman.. perhaps some advice may have been shared?

I''d be dissapointed if we spent 3 million on Sharp, I think we need to be scouting some cheaper talent from abroad. Although Wigan are struggling they have some fantastic players they''ve scouted from abroad from under the big boys noses. We need some strong, quick, altheltic players to add to what we have.We need to find our own Rodallego type player. 

[quote user="Darren Lamb"]I would rather Gary Hooper to be honest, or Rhodes.[/quote]Let''s combine the two and get Gary Rhodes. Delia must knwo him already.

[quote user="smooth"]

[/quote]

I don''t agree with that.  He did well at Scunny (53 goals in 82 games), but I think you will find that at Sheffield he didn''t really hit it off (8 in 51), then at Donny it''s back up to 39 in 77. 

At 5'' 9" he''s not exactly the big target man like Morison & Holt, he would be more comparible to Vaughan & Jackson.  The only times I have seen him play live were at Sheffield, this was after he had turned down Norwich at the last minute.  I was not impressed with him, and although he is likely to have improved since then, I don''t think he is a better option that Vaughan.

Sharp would be a much better buy than Rhodes who is totally unproven at Championship level and will fetch a fee of around £4 million , watched Rhodes in the game against Charlton a few weeks ago and he looked like a little boy lost , dont see him making the step up to Premier level and still knocking them in.As for Sharp being no better than Simeon , can anybody really see Jackson knocking in the same number of goals as Sharp if he started for Doncaster every week , Sharp to me seems like one of those strikers that if a chance comes along he sticks it away , just what we need really, plus i dont want to see Scum sign him up .

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

I''d be dissapointed if we spent 3 million on Sharp, I think we need to be scouting some cheaper talent from abroad. Although Wigan are struggling they have some fantastic players they''ve scouted from abroad from under the big boys noses. We need some strong, quick, altheltic players to add to what we have.We need to find our own Rodallego type player. 

[/quote]

Sorry to pick on your example here but it''s worth noting that Rodallega, while being a decent player, still cost Wigan about £5m. And for that they''ve got a striker who hasn''t scored this season and has only 22 goals for Wigan in almost 100 appearances.

What they''ve paid out on fees and wages for Rodallega probably isn''t a lot different to what we''ve paid out for Grant Holt, Steve Morison, Simeon Jackson and James Vaughan combined.

In a strange kind of way, imo we could need somebody like Kevin Phillips.  Somebody who''ll back us up for the last 6 months.  And seems to have an appetite for the game at his age as did Dion did. Yeah I know he''s at Blackpool, but it wouldn''t cost £Ms to get him.

Someone earlier on in this thread asked why he failed at Sheffield United. That was because Kevin Blackwell didn''t allow him to play his natural game. Which was sitting on the shoulder of the last defender. His attempts to make him a better all round player completely blunted his goalscoring edge.

If Lambert is looking for that type of forward at the club he is an ideal candidate for me. But if he is looking for someone who can also bring a good all round game to the table (in the way Holt and Morison do) then we should be looking elsewhere.

I personally think Rhodes looks the complete package (even if it is league 1). Many Huddersfield fans felt he was too lightweight last season. Hence why Clark often left him on the bench despite his goals. This season he has bulked up and looks like a very good all round striker.

I don''t know why people bang on about getting proven players. It doesn''t matter how many goals a player has scored for another club, it''s whether they are the right player for us and fit into the way we play. Lambert and Culverhouse haven''t gone for players that are proven and I don''t think they will. Young and hungry is agenda usually and Billy Sharp doesn''t fit into the category. However, Rhodes does.