Sign in to follow this  
calriv

Point gained or two points dropped?

[quote user="lake district canary"]

GP, sometimes you are too critical.   Just relax and enjoy what was a great match and an away point.

Yes we could have won, but we could have lost too.

Sometimes in matches like this you just have to say great effort from both teams and enjoy!

[/quote]

I''m not being critical, how many times do I have to say i''m happy with the result (or maybe I haven''t said it, but i''m sure I did at some point). 3 games unbeaten is great, and before the last two games, I would have taken two draws immediately.

I''m just pointing out, what I thought were obvious observations from the game.

Yes its great to get any points away from home, and yes it was a very enjoyable game. But for me, the fact it was only a draw when I honestly thought we were going to win, disappoints me slightly. Sorry if the team I support not winning in a game ''that could have gone either way'' disappoints me. I''ll try and be absolutely ecstatic and not say anything that may be deemed negative to some people.

I am not trying to be negative, If you want I will go to each players house and thank them for such an entertaining game and putting in maximum effort and getting a point. But surely, you cannot be 100% content with not winning, in a game you say your self could have gone either way, in which we clearly dominated for 35 mins, in which we could have had two penalties, in which Wolves missed a couple of cut throat chances (Thats just asking for it really). Yes a great point, in which I am happy with. But we could have had more, thats all i''m saying. And i''m saying it now (which is maybe the wrong time to do so) because I will have either forgotten by tomorrow or not bother posting.

ricardo, You say we have much better records against Spurs and Chelsea.

Well, apart from the fact I don''t really think the records actually have too much bearing (especially under a completely different manager and team), Spurs and Chelsea are teams I would be happy (kind of) to just take a great performance/great match and a point (or no points). I''m not expecting anything against Spurs, I have hope and faith in the team, that maybe we will get a point or three. Honestly, if we have a really bad second half of the season, and get relegated. Its games like today we should be looking it (amongst others), saying, we really could/should have got 2 more points.

Also, the only games I actually remember against Wolves in the last 12 years (I know there have been more) is beating them in the play-offs, surely that is the most likely time to lose to one of those teams we have bad record against? :P

just got back and was happy with a point in the end but if we had got the 2nd in the opening 30 minutes we would of won

both!!

a point won and well deserved which keeps wolves well below us and increases pressure on them as they would see this as a must win game

but also two points dropped - we took the lead twice away from home despite quiet a performance from sir grant but defensive frailties meant we could not keep hold of it.

Definitely a point gained. We were second best for 70 minutes and I''m very happy to have taken a point tonight.

I think it''s is a good 2 points from the last two away trips.

I guess it''s just frustrating when both goals to tie the last two games have both been scored in the 80th odd minute.

Bring on Spurs, they seem to struggle against the teams that are perceived to be lesser than themselves. Let''s hope we can pinch another 3 points.

I will be watching from afar.

''fraid I''m definitely in the "two points dropped" camp. If it had been a one -off then maybe no, but that''s three times in four days we''ve failed to protect an away lead. I just hope those pts are not vital come May.

The team, as a whole, has done exceptionally well so far, but we just seem to lack the depth and experience to kill off games when we''re in the lead . Don''t get me wrong, it''s great that we are going to places like Goodison and Molineux and taking the game to them, but there are times when we need to be pragmatic. The table is so tight; it''s not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be only 3 pts above the drop zone when we next take to the field v Spurs. So there is little margin for error.

So 2 pts thrown away for me.....

[quote user="yoda"]It''s not our fault the ref didn''t give us the pen when we were 1-0 up had we have been given that we would have gone on to win no problem .[/quote].....i thought the assult on surman was in fact two penaltys, one for the leg in his face, and i thought there was also a handball in that assult as well. the one in the second half was also definitely a penalty so though maybe a draw was a fair result on balance of play, we should have had two pens and probably a fairly easy win. if we had gone two up in the first half i don''t think wolves would have come back as strongly in the second half, when we allowed them much too much room to play.

Definitely a point gained. Our first target must be to get to 40 points asap and then see how high we can finish. After Newcastle we had 19 points with two difficult away games to come. We now have 21 points with two more difficult away games gone. Gotta be happy with that.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

. Our first target must be to get to 40 points asap

[/quote]

Exactly the issue, Nutty. Last night we had a golden opportunity to put not one, but 3, points on our 40 target. Sadly it did not happen. We must learn from this though.

Actually, there is a school of thought that suggests that a draw is never "a point gained" , as that''s precisely what you''ve got when the game kicks off at 0-0 !   Difficult to argue with the maths of that, but I''m not sure if I completely subscribe to it . What''s your take on that ? But there does have to be a bit of a disappointment factor when you''ve held the lead twice against the team fourth from bottom, yet failed to win. I seem to remember our fans suggesting much the same to Blackburn supporters at Carrow Rd earlier this season.......

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

. Our first target must be to get to 40 points asap

[/quote]

Exactly the issue, Nutty. Last night we had a golden opportunity to put not one, but 3, points on our 40 target. Sadly it did not happen. We must learn from this though.

Actually, there is a school of thought that suggests that a draw is never "a point gained" , as that''s precisely what you''ve got when the game kicks off at 0-0 !   Difficult to argue with the maths of that, but I''m not sure if I completely subscribe to it . What''s your take on that ? But there does have to be a bit of a disappointment factor when you''ve held the lead twice against the team fourth from bottom, yet failed to win. I seem to remember our fans suggesting much the same to Blackburn supporters at Carrow Rd earlier this season.......

[/quote]

My take on that is that we started last nights game on 20 points and finished it on 21. My take is also that you are trying to be clever with words and it''s back firing on you. We start the game on 0-0 but no points are allocated until the final whistle. Are you honestly trying to tell me that we start next Saturday on 22 points?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][. My take is also that you are trying to be clever with words and it''s back firing on you. We start the game on 0-0 but no points are allocated until the final whistle. Are you honestly trying to tell me that we start next Saturday on 22 points?

[/quote]

Well, Nutty, all I can say is that is what, in effect, happens if you follow the action (as I often have to) on the Canary Player and look at the "live table" on there . At the start of play you''ll notice that everyone playing has one game and one pt added to their tally. With points either added or subtracted as goals go in.

Like I say, I''m not saying that I necessarily subscribe to this idea, but, yes, in mathematical terms, we will start with 22 points at kick off v Spurs. If we win then that''ll be upped to 24. If Spurs do, it''ll go down to 21 again.

Quite how I''m being "clever with words" and it "backfiring" is a bit mystifying, tbh . I suggest that if you disagree with this technique, voice your concerns to the good folk at Canary Player, the BBC, and anyone else who does live table updaters.

The only point I was making about last night is that while one point was  nice, 3 would have been nicer, and eminently achievable under the circumstances ?

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="nutty nigel"][. My take is also that you are trying to be clever with words and it''s back firing on you. We start the game on 0-0 but no points are allocated until the final whistle. Are you honestly trying to tell me that we start next Saturday on 22 points?

[/quote]

Well, Nutty, all I can say is that is what, in effect, happens if you follow the action (as I often have to) on the Canary Player and look at the "live table" on there . At the start of play you''ll notice that everyone playing has one game and one pt added to their tally. With points either added or subtracted as goals go in.

Like I say, I''m not saying that I necessarily subscribe to this idea, but, yes, in mathematical terms, we will start with 22 points at kick off v Spurs. If we win then that''ll be upped to 24. If Spurs do, it''ll go down to 21 again.

Quite how I''m being "clever with words" and it "backfiring" is a bit mystifying, tbh . I suggest that if you disagree with this technique, voice your concerns to the good folk at Canary Player, the BBC, and anyone else who does live table updaters.

The only point I was making about last night is that while one point was  nice, 3 would have been nicer, and eminently achievable under the circumstances ?

[/quote]

So Eric buddy, on this wonderful Canary Player, what would happen if the game was abandoned after a quarter of an hour?

So Eric buddy, on this wonderful Canary Player, what would happen if the game was abandoned after a quarter of an hour?

[/quote]

Well, I''m assuming that, as the game would be nul and void, the figure of  Games Played, and Points would each be reduced by one ? Seems a reasonable bet to me.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Well, I''m assuming that, as the game would be nul and void, the figure of  Games Played, and Points would each be reduced by one ? Seems a reasonable bet to me.

[/quote]

Reduced?

Surely if the game had already been played it couldn''t be abandoned.

The "live league table" counts for nothing Eric. It''s rather like election results. If the nopposition gets in front on the early results but is beaten by  at the final count they were never in government were they? Or perhaps they were on "Westminster Player".

Nige....don''t get hung up on this. It really isn''t worth falling out about. Like  I''ve said (twice) I don''t really subscribe to the view, but it''s a perfectly legitimate one nonetheless. I agree it counts for nothing until the final whistle. I guess it''s just a philosophical argument as to whether points are "gained" etc.

Following all this sort of stuff on Canary Player, is ,I assure you, my substitute (though a very poor one) for actually being at Carrow Rd etc as those lucky enough, like you ,can do.

[quote user="Eric Pickles Pie Supplier"]

Nige....don''t get hung up on this. It really isn''t worth falling out about. Like  I''ve said (twice) I don''t really subscribe to the view, but it''s a perfectly legitimate one nonetheless. I agree it counts for nothing until the final whistle. I guess it''s just a philosophical argument as to whether points are "gained" etc.

Following all this sort of stuff on Canary Player, is ,I assure you, my substitute (though a very poor one) for actually being at Carrow Rd etc as those lucky enough, like you ,can do.

[/quote]

I''m not hung up on it Eric. And we won''t fall out. You asked for my take and I gave it to you.

Surely if you can get Canary player you can get one of City Angel''s wonderful streams?

Surely if you can get Canary player you can get one of City Angel''s wonderful streams?

[/quote]

Would love to, Nutty, and have tried . Several times. But the Broadband speed here in rural France is not the fastest. If you do get a picture it freezes more often than a turkey in one of Iceland''s deep freezers.

Do not listen to those who''d have you believe that everywhere in the world except UK has lightning -fast ASDL.  France Telecom have a lot to answer for.

Mine freezes too so I don''t bother with it. When I can''t go, which is far too often these days, I usually just watch it on the wireless. I''m not a great lover of TV football. I enjoy the excitement when I''m a neutral but for The Canaries I find it frustrating. It''s like going to the game and following the ball at the exclusion of everything else.