Sign in to follow this  
Wendling Canary

Kyle Naughton's defensive ability, or lack of it!

[quote user="star_manic"]iv''e just been on a post (by mungo) slamming surman, now here is one slamming naughton. who''s next, anyone ready to have a go at holt or morrison or russ martin. i thought this was a site for norwich city SUPPORTERS.[/quote]Morison''s off the mark, there''s some slagging off going on, on the "Morrison (sic) to miss 3 games" thread.

[quote user="HoltsDerbyDayHattrick"]I take it the OP has never played) or in Defence, even the commentators i was listening too were saying how they prefer to play centre back instead of a full back. Give the guy a break he has huge potential.[/quote]

although i don''t particularly rate naughton at this moment in time, i will not moan about him. what i will say is that his huge potential (which I agree with) is no good to us as a club as he''s on loan.

I like Naughton, however I must agreed that I was a little frustrated that Jarvis seems to have the beating of him for most of the game. Naughton is a small, quick lad, but seems to get turned too easy and did not stop most crosses coming in.

Something which Adam Drury was great at in his heyday, although not being the quickest he would stop a lot of crosses getting into the box, which is vitally important (unless you cannot defend set pieces)..

I think that much of the problem with this argument is that people are tending to assume that any Norwich player who fails to come out on top in a one on one situation is poor. The fact is that sometimes they will and sometimes they won''t. Tierney looked all at sea against Drenthe, but that doesn''t make him a bad player. Naughton had a torrid time against Jarvis, yet didn''t give Gutierrez a kick against Newcastle.

Let''s be honest, if he dominated every winger he played against he''d be an England regular and not a Norwich City player. Trawl back over the last couple of years and you''ll find very similar threads about Russell Martin, and he turned out to be half decent, didn''t he?

[quote user="Beauseant"]

I think that much of the problem with this argument is that people are tending to assume that any Norwich player who fails to come out on top in a one on one situation is poor. The fact is that sometimes they will and sometimes they won''t. Tierney looked all at sea against Drenthe, but that doesn''t make him a bad player. Naughton had a torrid time against Jarvis, yet didn''t give Gutierrez a kick against Newcastle.

Let''s be honest, if he dominated every winger he played against he''d be an England regular and not a Norwich City player. Trawl back over the last couple of years and you''ll find very similar threads about Russell Martin, and he turned out to be half decent, didn''t he?

[/quote]

I`m so glad you said that. Plus of course the only way the guys will improve is  by playing against the best and learning from the experience.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="canariesaregods"

Anyone saying Martin is a better rb than naughton need only watch a replay of wigan away - there is good reason why that is martins one and only game at rb. I really do struggle to see where people form these opinions, must have watched a totally different game to me

/quote] No, we''ve just watched Martin ever since he''s been at the club. I think he''s a better full back than Naughton. Not quicker, but stronger, better positionally, oh, and he creates and scores goals. Give me Mr Martin every time.[/quote]

IF that is the case, why is it when lambert did drop Naughton and brought de laet in, why didnt martin switch to rb and de laet play cb? That would be the round pegs in round holes approach. Lambert doesnt have any sentimentality and can see martin is out of his depth at rb because he just isnt quick enough. Also, we are playing against some of the very best wide players in the world, surprise, surprise they are going to beat our players. Why criticise?

I think this might be a reality check for most of you.

LAMBERT ISN''T GOD AND DOES MAKE MISTAKES, no matter how much you people love and worship him.

If you don''t believe me, here are a few examples:

Buying the donkey, Aaron Wilbraham

Playing that pansy, Andrew Surman

Playing Kyle Naughton at RB instead of Russell Martin.

Can we add to that...

Sticking with Grant Holt in the Championship where he was clearly out of his depth.

Sticking with Grant Holt in the Premier League where he is clearly further out of his depth.

Continually playing that luxury player Wes Hoolahan.

Not signing Fraser Foster.

Sticking with Ruddy and leaving Rudd on the bench.

The bloke''s an absolute joke!

[quote user="Wilbraham League 2"]I think this might be a reality check for most of you.

LAMBERT ISN''T GOD AND DOES MAKE MISTAKES, no matter how much you people love and worship him.

If you don''t believe me, here are a few examples:

Buying the donkey, Aaron Wilbraham

Playing that pansy, Andrew Surman

Playing Kyle Naughton at RB instead of Russell Martin.[/quote]I think the only mistake here is that you''ve chosen to support the same club as the rest of us.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Wilbraham League 2"]I think this might be a reality check for most of you. LAMBERT ISN''T GOD AND DOES MAKE MISTAKES, no matter how much you people love and worship him. If you don''t believe me, here are a few examples: Buying the donkey, Aaron Wilbraham Playing that pansy, Andrew Surman Playing Kyle Naughton at RB instead of Russell Martin.[/quote]
I think the only mistake here is that you''ve chosen to support the same club as the rest of us.
[/quote]

Do you really think he does Graham? [:^)]

You''ll all see what I''m saying when Naughton gets ripped apart by Bale on Tuesday. By the way, I''m more of a loyal fan than some these armchair supporters.

If you were a supporter, then you''d know that Naughton is a) suspended and b) cannot play against his own club

Binner!

You''ve made a mistake OP as Wilbraham=Premiership Player, whether you like it or not.

Why don''t you troll off back to where you came from - and take a certain other poster (whose spelling is almost as bad as yours - coincidence?) with you.

[quote user="yellow blood"]

You''ll all see what I''m saying when Naughton gets ripped apart by Bale on Tuesday. By the way, I''m more of a loyal fan than some these armchair supporters.

If you were a supporter, then you''d know that Naughton is a) suspended and b) cannot play against his own club

Binner!

[/quote]

The finger was well and truly on the pulse there. What an idiot !

Naughton has played impeccably this season, when we for a good little run his partnership with Benno was very impressive. In our last couple of games we have reverted to a flat midfield ahead of our defensive group. Unfortunately because we accomodate Hoolahan we only have a three man midfield and hence one on one''s occur.

Jarvis and a number of other wingers will have their day, but Naughton has never been solely responsible for any losses etc. Yes he can improve, but for what we have available he is doing a great job. Certainly when in recent games he has not had a traditional right sided winger to assist in the cover.