Sign in to follow this  
Wendling Canary

Kyle Naughton's defensive ability, or lack of it!

It has come to my attention after watching the game yesterday that Kyle Naughton cannot seem to stop any crosses that, a lot of the time have led to us conceding goals, an example of this was the first Wolves goal.

His lack of defensive positioning is demonstrated by the fact he has picked up 5 yellow cards so far this season, and the way he is playing that figure could almost certainly treble.

Naughton is very much an attacking full back, similar to Kyle Walker who has managed to break through into the Spurs team. I would love Lambert to bring in a strong experienced CB and play Russell Martin are RB. I think Martin, with the experience he has gained playing at center half at this level will make his defensive duties when playing in his natural position all the more greater.

??? Strange post. Naughton stopped tons of crosses coming in yesterday, put many tackles in on Jarvis and pushed him into positions he didn''t want to go, bearing in mind Jarvis broke into the England team last year I thought Naughton did very well against him. A full back cannot stop every single cross that comes into the box, we got tons of crosses in at Man United from our right, does that mean Evra is a rubbish full back? Crosses are bound to be drilled into our box all day long, its down to the central defenders to defend those crosses.

Naughton is still young and learning. Remember this is his first time in the Premier League which is the same as many of our players. He''s having to deal with very quick talented wingers such as Jarvis yesterday. Many right backs would struggle defending against him. Also the formation we play leaves Naughton very exposed and often left in a situation where he''s one on one with the winger. Making it very hard for him. Give the guy a break!!

i totally give up with some of the idiots on here!! can i be bothered 2 explain? the shape we play will expose the full backs and they have little protection, both full backs were superb last night, if you want them to get forward which they both do brilliantly they will get caught out occasionally.....absolutely fed up with reading the constant moaning on here

Anyone saying Martin is a better rb than naughton need only watch a replay of wigan away - there is good reason why that is martins one and only game at rb. I really do struggle to see where people form these opinions, must have watched a totally different game to me

[quote user="ellis206"]??? Strange post. Naughton stopped tons of crosses coming in yesterday, put many tackles in on Jarvis and pushed him into positions he didn''t want to go, bearing in mind Jarvis broke into the England team last year I thought Naughton did very well against him. A full back cannot stop every single cross that comes into the box, we got tons of crosses in at Man United from our right, does that mean Evra is a rubbish full back? Crosses are bound to be drilled into our box all day long, its down to the central defenders to defend those crosses.
[/quote]

^^ This ^ ^

Naughton probably had the toughest job of all our players last  night. Considering he had a relative early yellow I thought he did well. I thought Jarvis was probably Wolves biggest threat. There''s no way Jarvis was getting crosses in at will.

I will accept that Naughton didn''t have a lot of cover at times. Often he seemed to be caught in two minds whether to hold and mark his player, or go to the other player who was running at him, which isn''t really his fault.

What worries me though is that he simply doesn''t seem very good at stopping people go past him in a one on one situation. If he''s getting doubled up on, then you can let him off. But when it''s one on one, he needs to be a lot more "awkward", in my opinion. Understandably in this division he isn''t necessarily going to be able to stop every winger getting past him every time, as there are some good wingers. But far too often he is beaten very easily.

If he''s making it tough and still getting beaten, then you can accept the winger is a bit good. If it''s easy though, it''s the defender who needs to sharpen up a bit.

I disagree with the OP. I rate Naughton, think he is a very good player, unfortuantly i do not see his future with us, as i believe he will be Walker''s understufy at Spurs- i know they have Corluka, but they have been trying to offload him for a while.Naughten has pace and does get stuck in. I think people need to realise that our full backs are going to be the ones on show for most of the season. There are so many good wingers in the prem that our fullbacks are bound to get turned and beaten a fair bit, we just need to ensure our midfielders offer cover for them for when they are.Look at Woodgate against Jarvis. Woodgate was once considered one of the best english defenders, but Jarvis tore the bloke to pieces, he was very lucky not to get sent off against him before he was substituted.Everyone is entitled to their opinion about players on here, LDC there is no reason to keep getting so frustrated about it, so long as when the games come round you support everyone of our players. i will be the first to hold my hands up and say Surman, who i have criticised a lot. had a (mostly) good game yesterday (should have been subbed a bit earlier, alongside Wes in my opinion to give us the option of pacey wingers) and i was happy for the guy

Aggy, I reckon if he''d been a bit more awkward he''d certainly have seen red. I would say he played Jarvis quite well with a yellow card hanging over him. I think Wolves will be disappointed they didn''t exploit that more to be honest.

I''m not sure about Naughton to be honest. I thought he wasn''t that good a defender, but maybe he''s better than he first appears. But i''m not even sure of that.

He does seem to let a lot of balls past him, and you can make excuses like he''s not getting enough cover (but he is, i''m fairly sure I saw Crofts block at least two crosses yesterday, and he''s a fairly defensive player all round), or the wingers are too good. While we can''t expect Naughton to stop every winger like Jarvis or Gervinho from beating him, what he should be doing (and maybe is doing) is be putting them off, limiting the space they have available, trying to make sure they can''t cut in and shoot etc etc. I think maybe Naughton does that better than we may think.

[quote user="priceyrice"]I disagree with the OP. I rate Naughton, think he is a very good player, unfortuantly i do not see his future with us, as i believe he will be Walker''s understufy at Spurs- [/quote]

At 23 years of age and with a decent amount of first team football under his belt I can''t see Naughton wanting to be an understudy.

[quote user="canariesaregods"

Anyone saying Martin is a better rb than naughton need only watch a replay of wigan away - there is good reason why that is martins one and only game at rb. I really do struggle to see where people form these opinions, must have watched a totally different game to me

/quote]

No, we''ve just watched Martin ever since he''s been at the club. I think he''s a better full back than Naughton. Not quicker, but stronger, better positionally, oh, and he creates and scores goals. Give me Mr Martin every time.

Yes he tore Woodgate to pieces, but Woodgate is a CH, not a RB, and has hardly played in the last 5 years.

GP - Naughton not getting enough cover isn''t an excuse it''s a very valid point as to why he gets caught out sometimes. If he had Bennett in front of him (like earlier on in the season) they could double up against the better wingers in this league and his job would be made a lot easier. Even the best full backs in the world will struggle when exposed to a one-on-one situation.

iv''e just been on a post (by mungo) slamming surman, now here is one slamming naughton. who''s next, anyone ready to have a go at holt or morrison or russ martin. i thought this was a site for norwich city SUPPORTERS.

Like all the rest of the current squad he''s totally useless, out of his depth & we should send him back to Spurs at the earliest opportunity. 

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]I disagree with the OP. I rate Naughton, think he is a very good player, unfortuantly i do not see his future with us, as i believe he will be Walker''s understufy at Spurs- [/quote]

At 23 years of age and with a decent amount of first team football under his belt I can''t see Naughton wanting to be an understudy.

[/quote]Me neither, but he may have to wait a couple of years for his contract to run down

Naughton did fine last night - with a yellow over him and someone like Jarvis to defend against for 70 odd minutes he did as well as anyone on the pitch. 

When Jarvis switched flanks  he made Tierney look like the League 1 player he was two years ago - as did Drenthe on Saturday and Walcott a coupla weeks back.  Now that is something to worry about!

[quote user="Ben "]GP - Naughton not getting enough cover isn''t an excuse it''s a very valid point as to why he gets caught out sometimes. If he had Bennett in front of him (like earlier on in the season) they could double up against the better wingers in this league and his job would be made a lot easier. Even the best full backs in the world will struggle when exposed to a one-on-one situation.[/quote]

Bennett helps out less that Crofts.

I really don''t see why people think Bennett is any good in defence? Where was Bennett against Liverpool, Blackburn, Swansea and Villa?

Why are people failing to see that Crofts DOES cover Naughton? He isn''t a CM, he''s on the right side of the diamond, meaning he is essentially a CM/RM, when the other team attack down our right, Crofts is there to help defend. Thats his job, he does it no differently to how Bennett does/should be doing it.

Crofts is on the right side of the diamond yes but he has to cover the WHOLE side of the right side of the pitch as we are essentially playing with 3 in midfield. Therefore he cannot possibly provide sufficient cover for Naughton. And he didn''t yesterday because he has other players to mark.

However, when Bennett plays he is just operating up and down the wing so can get back to double up with Naughton (which is does very well). I don''t understand why you''re saying where was Bennett against Liverpool, Blackburn et al as he tracks back all the time and provides excellent cover for Naughton. Crofts can cover Naughton yes, but like I said not as well as Bennett can. And in fact when we played Arsenal crofts wasn''t very effective on the right side of midfield and didn''t cover Naughton very well at all. He kept drifting inside instead of seeing the threat out on the wing, which made Naughton struggle against Gervinho.

Naughton struggled against Bellamy, he struggled against Agbonlahor, if Swansea had of used Sinclair more he would have struggled more against him (Sinclair only ran at him about 3 times, Swansea just fiddled around in the middle of the pitch). He struggled against Hoilett, and I can''t really remember that much about his performances from any other games. But those three games, the right back position was barley covered any more with Bennett than it is with Crofts. In my eyes, Naughton struggles just as much when Bennett plays as he does when Crofts plays.

Naughton didn''t struggle against Bellamy and he certainly didn''t struggle against Sinclair. There were a few occasions where those players beat Naughton yes but those players have been causing every full back in this league problems. I just feel with Bennett on the pitch he provides more cover. But that does mean we''d have to go back to 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-2 which are more defensive formations.