Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Bale - what to do?

After supposedly ''maybe'' not being fit for tonight''s game with Chelsea, not only is he playing but he''s giving Chelsea nightmares.

It may be a blessing to have RMart at full back given what Suarez and Bellamy did to Naughton, but whoever you are, Bale is going to give you problems.

Diamond could play in to his hands too. What do people think?

Im fairly certain both Suraez and Bellamy would have gave RM a torrid time too.

Victor Moses ripped him to bits on the opening day.

We have to double up on Bale and show him inside, keep him off that left foot.

We need to play to our strengths. If we get the passing game going and concentrate on breaking Spurs down, Bale won''t seem so important.

He may be a top player, but we have ability too.  If we play well and up to our usual performance level, we will give them problems too.

Whoever is right back on Tuesday will have a difficult evening, but hey, this is the premiership - what''s new?  Time us fans got used to it and just

treat it like any other competetive game - we just need to play our own game.    It''s worked so far....

You need to get tight to him so as soon as he gets it you''re right behind him so he can''t turn and run at you. If you give him time to turn and run at you you''re in trouble!

Cant see us playing the diamond against them cus they would tear us to bits!! 4-5-1 for me!

[quote user="a1canary"]After supposedly ''maybe'' not being fit for tonight''s game with Chelsea, not only is he playing but he''s giving Chelsea nightmares.

It may be a blessing to have RMart at full back given what Suarez and Bellamy did to Naughton, but whoever you are, Bale is going to give you problems.

Diamond could play in to his hands too. What do people think?[/quote]I seem to remember Russell Martin getting torn to shreds by Gradel last season in the Championship, so I can''t see him (or any fullback in the world) keeping him quiet. I''m a massive fan of Martin, but I also happen to think Naughton has been superb for us this season and that people tend to forget he is coming up against some of the best wide men in world football.As for Bale, I think we need to really go for Spurs from the off and hope that we can nick a couple of goals and hang on. Forcing them deep and then doubling up on Bale when they counter might frustrate him, and perhaps with a bit of luck we can get something out of this one. Obviously the most important thing is to stop him getting space, but that is far easier said than done - can see Crofts being deployed to try and do a job on him.

We showed Arsenal far too much respect and paid the price hopefully we wont do the same against Spurs

Is that the same Russell Martin that had bellamy in his pocket v cardiff last season? Oh sorry it must be a different bellamy , the premier league bellamy, the one that is better than the bellamy last season because he now plays for Liverpool and we now worry more about him .

True CDM, but Russell does have that much more experience, and when you''re a defender, experience counts for so much. He also has good leadership and awareness skills. For me, whether it''s CB or RB, he has to be the first name in the back four on to the teamsheet, maybe even the first name on the whole teamsheet because leaders on the pitch are critical to any successful team. If i have any concerns about our defenders it''s the relative lack of experience - they''re all young and prone to mistakes. Really good centre backs seem to have their best and most consistent spells after 25, often up to and beyond 30. Guess it depends who they are as to when they start going downhill.

It''s no coincidence that our first choice pairing looks more than likely to emerge as the two oldest CBs at our disposal (provided you count RMart as a CB now!)

So of course, ideally i''d like him and Zak at CB so if Naughton got injured (or can''t play as v Spurs) and Russ goes to RB, then i''m not really sure who our next best pairing is. Zak and Leon i guess? But we don''t know too much about how Wardy or Ayala might shape up in the prem.

You need to get tight to him so as soon as he gets it you''re right behind him so he can''t turn and run at you. If you give him time to turn and run at you you''re in trouble!

Cant see us playing the diamond against them cus they would tear us to bits!! 4-5-1 for me!

Don''t think they are going to tear us to bits, diamond or no diamond - if we get a good start like we did at Wolves - it could be us that gives them a hard time!  Especially with being at home.   Lets not show them too much respect - we can play good football too.

It''s not that we can''t cause them problems. I guess this is probably not the game to wish for that illusive clean sheet though! Have to expect another basketball game that''s going to put us all right through the ringer. Score could be anything!

Hopefully tonight will have taken a bit out of them - sounded like a belter of a game. Extra two days for our recovery.

Instead of worrying about Bale, who would be a massive handful for anyone if he''s fit and on form, let''s look at the positives. King is highly unlikely to be risked and they are weaker defensively without him. Assou- Ekotto plays as if he doesn''t give a toss (as demonstrated on the equaliser where he didn''t bother to track Sturridge into the box). He''s a huge weak link if we can get someone running at him. Adebayor is hit and miss and may well not fancy a cold day in East Anglia and Van Der Vaart went off with a muscle strain so is also likely to be missing.

I dont think we should focus on Bale, they have a good enough squad for someone else to step up even if we keep Bale quiet. Imo the best thing we can do to give them the biggest problem is go about playing our way and make them beat us. Hopefully who ever is playing full back has a great game and is really up for the challenge getting well supported by the midfielder in front of him.

It''s going to be damage limitation whatever players we play in whatever formation!

Look where Spurs are in the table. Our aim will be not to hurt the goal difference too much.

[quote user="lake district canary"]

Don''t think they are going to tear us to bits, diamond or no diamond - if we get a good start like we did at Wolves - it could be us that gives them a hard time!  Especially with being at home.   Lets not show them too much respect - we can play good football too.

[/quote]

I do love the eternal optimism LDC but it''ll be a miracle if we get anything against Spurs. They''re so quick and fluid I''ll be amazed if we can hold them to three goals. We might score ourselves of course but this match has got away win written all over it.

As always I want us to win but wanting and getting are two completely different things against some of the teams in this League.

Have you no faith??

I think too many fans are in awe of the premiership. We''re here to compete, not sit back and say come and score three goals against us.

I know its christmas, but I think that its going too far to give Tottenham this one. 

If we play like we did against Wolves in spells - we can give anyone a game.  Come on guys, get real!  How many did we score last time at home?

They are just eleven players - they make mistakes just like everyone does in the premiership.  Did you see them tonight - giving the ball away, misplaced passes - they are only human - and we are in the same league as them! 

We are here to compete - don''t be defeated before we even set foot on the pitch!

this is at carrow road, its not at white hart lane!! city need to go out there an go at them with no fear, we are much much better with the ball than without it, and do NOT do what they have done against the gooners,toffees and wolves where we took the lead and then tried to grind through the rest of the game hoping they dont concede. get a goal, then go for another, no fucking about, if we lose we lose but at least do it with style/effort (we arent wimbledon/blackburn/stoke)and if it means we have to kick the welshy off the park in the first ten minutes then so be it. OTBC

With Parker, Modric and Bale all to mark in the midfield, and Walkers runs to watch from the right side - Norwich will have to go for 5 across the middle no doubt. And that doesn''t even considering the striking threat! Tottenham are an awkward team to play against!

If you play 5 in midfield you are limiting our main strength - which is scoring goals.   We have to attack - like we did at Wolves for the first 20 minutes and like we did against Newcastle. 

Tottenham are awkward - but if you put them under pressure they will creak abit.  They do give the ball away and can look casual at times - we have to be positive and play on that.  They won''t enjoy coming to Carrow Rd - we will give them a good game.

It would be disappointing to go back into our shell after a win and two draws. We have every reason to think it will be a cracking contest - but only if we go for it.

We get forward.

Bollocks to worrying about Bale, let''s play our own game. They''ll have enough problems of their own if we get going.

Pfft, too much negative thinking on this thread! ;-)

Seriously though, would love to see us keep to the 4-4-2, but just can''t see it. I imagine Lambert will go 4-5-1 and try and contain them. Hopefully i''m wrong! If De Laet is fit i can see him starting at right back, seeing as he''s got a bit of pace about him.

I wouldn''t put RM at RB with the form he is in... if he plays RB & get''s destroyed by Bale ( i was there against Wigan .... it wasn''t pretty ) he could end up losing form & get out of the CB mentality he is currently in. Give De Laet a chance at RB I say, until we sign a CB with prem experience ( hehe ) Martin goes first on the team sheet at CB.Spurs are very decent would snap their hand off at a point.Let''s just hope spurs stay as inconsistent to ''lesser'' opposition as they have done over the years & we have a chance, also we have had 2 extra days rest :P

How about;

stop the flow of passes to him, frustrate him by keeping him out of the game

man-mark him - someone always tight on him,  - once he is moving with the ball it''s too late

have two players to mark him

But even if we succeed, there''s still Modric and one or two others!

Unfortunately it''s just like Wigan last Saturday. They were up against Sturridge, Romeu, Drogba, Lampard, Cole, Terry,Mata etc. Not surprising that, like we will on Tuesday, they got absolutely hammered by a side that was clearly better than them on paper.

What do you mean they got a point? Surely some mistake.....